Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2012 Olympic Athletics Days - which one?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭Bambaata

unfortunately i think its all womens boxing which my girlfriend wants to go to. had also applied for triathlon and 1 evening of athletics

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Bambaata wrote: »
    unfortunately i think its all womens boxing which my girlfriend wants to go to. had also applied for triathlon and 1 evening of athletics

Triathlon is free, well for parts of the course anyway, so still worth turning up for. Think that the ticketed area for the tri was one of the ones I applied for.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭belle_09

Think the chances of getting athletics tickets are fairly slim. Wonder are there other ways to get tickets here in Ireland?

robinph wrote: »
    Triathlon is free, well for parts of the course anyway, so still worth turning up for. Think that the ticketed area for the tri was one of the ones I applied for.

yeah i know the tri can be seen out on course but we wanted the grandstand pricey ones. its the main event we were going over for. still happy we'll get something in

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

This is the first Olympics I've ever tried to apply for tickets to. Is it normally this difficult to get tickets?

• Advertisement

i dont think so. london was always going to be very very popular. next olys wont be half as bad.`

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭Dinkie

We got 2 tickets to something :D. We had applied for 1 x gymnastics, 1 x swimmings, 2 x athletics - all over the weekend around Aug 4th. Am praying we got the athletics as I am mad into that.

Would have gone over anyway to experience the buzz. Am planning to also go to the mountain biking and a couple other things that have open viewing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭Pisco Sour

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/london-2012-olympics-blog/2011/may/27/olympic-tickets-london-2012-quarter-million

Read this article and the comments below it. Sums everything up.

The corporate thing is particularly disappointing. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭spurscormac

Saw that some people were charged so logged on to my bank in hope, nothing gone yet.
    Considering I applied for £2k worth, I'm a bit disappointed, but still hopeful that I'll get something.
    Applied to loads of athletics, womens boxing (for Irelands gold medal), gymnastics, and I can't remember if there was anything else, but was always the max 6 tix I tried for each, or 4 in case of the 100m.

Maybe, just maybe something will be taken today or tomorrow.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Bank holiday today so don't expect anything to be taken from cards today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,485 ✭✭✭Peckham

Nothing for me either, but I was more in hope than expectation. I applied for four of the high profile athletics evenings, and one of the final gymnastics sessions. I also limited my order to the cheapest and second cheapest seats. Won't be too upset if nothing turns up.

womens boxing (for Irelands gold medal), .

I know I am going off topic but do not care. I wish people would get this silly notion out of their heads that Katie Taylor is a shoe in for Olympic Gold. There are just 3 weights in womens boxing in London, while there are 12 in the world championships. So there will be loads of top boxers moving up and down in weight to compete against Katie. Ignoring the fact there are actually some people at Middleweight who could beat her (Queen Underwood from the USA in the last world champs really had her on the ropes and Katie hung on), there will be WORLD CHAMPIONS competing against Katie from other weights. Sure Katie lost to a russian last year, but as that Russian competed in a different weight in the worlds and europeans in recent years Katie hasn't had to fight her in a major championship.

I just cant stand such arrogance and ignorance. If she wins gold then great, but lets not hang the medal around her neck without doing a littke research first!!

EDIT: http://www.independent.ie/sport/other-sports/in-brief-olympic-sponsor-boost-for-taylor-2655186.html

04072511 wrote: »
    I know I am going off topic but do not care. I wish people would get this silly notion out of their heads that Katie Taylor is a shoe in for Olympic Gold. There are just 3 weights in womens boxing in London, while there are 12 in the world championships. So there will be loads of top boxers moving up and down in weight to compete against Katie. Ignoring the fact there are actually some people at Middleweight who could beat her (Queen Underwood from the USA in the last world champs really had her on the ropes and Katie hung on), there will be WORLD CHAMPIONS competing against Katie from other weights. Sure Katie lost to a russian last year, but as that Russian competed in a different weight in the worlds and europeans in recent years Katie hasn't had to fight her in a major championship.

I just cant stand such arrogance and ignorance. If she wins gold then great, but lets not hang the medal around her neck without doing a littke research first!!

EDIT: http://www.independent.ie/sport/other-sports/in-brief-olympic-sponsor-boost-for-taylor-2655186.html

It was said tongue in cheek, perhaps I should have included the ;).
    Nobody is taking it for granted, but she's definitely our best medal hope.
    I made sure to apply for tickets in the hope she'd be there competing on the final day.
    People shouldn't take things stated on the interweb so literally.

It was said tongue in cheek, perhaps I should have included the ;).
    Nobody is taking it for granted, but she's definitely our best medal hope.
    I made sure to apply for tickets in the hope she'd be there competing on the final day.
    People shouldn't take things stated on the interweb so literally.

Fair enough, but lots of people are taking it for granted.

She has a great shot, but so do our male boxers. We won 3 medals in Beijing, I really think we could surpass that in London.

Watch out for Grainne Murphy in the swimming aswell by the way. European silver medallist last year aged 17. Come the Olympics, she will be 19, a good age for a female swimmer.

Watch out for Grainne Murphy in the swimming aswell by the way. European silver medallist last year aged 17. Come the Olympics, she will be 19, a good age for a female swimmer.

Knew there was something I forgot that I'd applied to. Went for the swimming when I think she would be racing, she's a longer distance swimmer, right?
    Don't think her European event is in the Olympics though, believe she has to drop to a shorter race.

Having said all that, would still be extremely lucky to get any of the tickets by the sound of things.

Knew there was something I forgot that I'd applied to. Went for the swimming when I think she would be racing, she's a longer distance swimmer, right?
    Don't think her European event is in the Olympics though, believe she has to drop to a shorter race.

Having said all that, would still be extremely lucky to get any of the tickets by the sound of things.

Yeh she got silver in the 1500m but that isnt in the olympics. However she narrowly missed bronze in the 800m which IS an olympic event, and she beat Becky Adlington (the olympic champ) in the process.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭grimbergen

I had 120 euro taken off my credit card on friday out of about 400 applied for. Trying to remember what I applied for now! I Know I applied for some football at wembley as an add-on to the athletics so hoping that I didn't just get those but I have a horrible feeling I did.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭belle_09

Looks like no one is having much success. My basketball tickets were an add on too to the athletics ones I was really hoping for. Wondering if there will be any athletics ones in the next round in July or whenever they said it would be. I'd be happy with morning sessions! Are there any travel agents in Ireland who have package deals?? I'm desperate now!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭TheRoadRunner

I have got tickets for 1 of the 4 days I applied for. Will either see men's 400, 800, 1500 or 5k final. Really hope it is 5k as marathon is a couple of days later so could get to see that for free. I won't be able to sleep tonight with the excitement :)

Still nothing for me. I applied for every evening of the athletics, and put in a wider price range for the 100m, 200m 5k and 10k as I really wanted to see those and in the hope I'd have a better chance of getting something. Then went for the cheaper athletics events for the other nights.

The total I applied for came to about £650 sterling and so far, nothing has been charged to my card.

They said they'll have all normal applications processed by midnight tonight so I'm not very hopeful at this stage.

I guess it's the World Championships or Diamond League for me then!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭ThePiedPiper

I'd €84 come out of my account today! I applied for tickets to a value of €1,200. So, it looks like I've maybe gotten one of the football matches in Wembley. No athletics, swimming, tennis. This is a bit of a joke. To be fair, the whole thing seems to have been a bit of a farce so maybe it's a blessing in disguise that I got virtually no tickets from the 22 different sessions I applied for!

Still nothing. :(:(:(

I'm now hoping that it's because I got a brand new Visa card specifically for this and it somehow got the payment request blocked as I'd not used the card before.

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭jeffontour

I've had 237.39 yoyos taken from my card, wohoo!

I'm not even going to attempt to figure out what I've got. I applied for a possible 800 pounds worth. Mostly athletics and some cycling and boxing.

I hope I may just have scored tickets to the mens 10,000m final!!!

Unless my application bounced for some reason (occasionally there are issues with my billing address not matching exactly) I think it's looking bad. Today is the last day they're processing normal applications.

They will have all applications processed by the 10th of June which is Friday next week, but after today it's only applications/payments that bounced for some reason.

I know they are talking about a second sale in a month or two but that will just be for stuff that's not sold out. So if I don't get athletics tickets now, it's unlikely I will get them in a month or two either.

Kind of disappointing. I thought I had arranged a good spread of prices for the events I really wanted to see. I guess I should have widened the price bracket more now than I did.

The whole thing is a farce. I think the people really deserve to know the truth as to how many tickets were actually released to the general public, and how much within each price cateogory. Fat chance of LOCOG releasing that info though. So much for the "People's Games"!!

I will feel cheated to be honest if we dont get tickets. Die hard fan of the sport, flying to Barca and Daegu to support our athletes and the sport in general, and I'll be beaten to tickets by people who wouldn't know Allyson Felix from Joaquin Phoenix. :mad:

The whole thing is a farce. I think the people really deserve to know the truth as to how many tickets were actually released to the general public, and how much within each price cateogory. Fat chance of LOCOG releasing that info though. So much for the "People's Games"!!

I will feel cheated to be honest if we dont get tickets. Die hard fan of the sport, flying to Barca and Daegu to support our athletes and the sport in general, and I'll be beaten to tickets by people who wouldn't know Allyson Felix from Joaquin Phoenix. :mad:

I kind of wish I'd discovered running and athletics sooner. It was when the European championships were on from Barcelona that I started to develop an interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭jeffontour

I feel kinda bad that I've gotten some now!

I've spent a fortune in the past supporting the Irish rugby team, went to France for the world cup but could not justify the cost of traveling to NZ for this years.

That's essentially why I applied for London, it's a games that should be affordable to Irish supporters like myself, if we get tickets. I've never been to an Olympics or worlds before and being a general sports fan love that I've a chance to do so now.

I hope I've got the 10,000m tickets, I'd love to see that. But I may have got the boxing final for Katie Taylor's division. I applied for that not out of a love of boxing but an appreciation of the level of performance she's hit to date and hope that it will see her crown it with an Olympic medal.

jeffontour wrote: »

Ah jaysus, I wouldn't begrudge you those tickets for a second.

Everyone has to start following the sport at some point, and just because you have only got into it recently doesn't make you any less deserving of tickets. You have obviously demonstrated your interest in following the sport.

Its the people who dont give a flying toss about athletics for 207 out of every 208 weeks, that I have a problem with getting tickets. The people who all of a sudden have an interest in athletics when you put the word "Olympic" in front of the event and for the rest of that 4 year cycle, wouldn't as much as bat an eyelid at an athletics meet on TV, or show up and compete in a local road race.

Bill O'Herlihy would be a prime example. Knows nothing about the sport, yet every 4 years launches an inquest into our unforgiveable failure to defeat the Jamaicans and Kenyans!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭TheRoadRunner

jeffontour wrote: »

I don't but I'm a bit of a gloating bastard like that :D

• Advertisement

feel a little bad too. while i presume i "only" got the womens boxing rd of 16, Q and S-finals at least i got something and will still go obver for the week and catch the triathlon free and whatever else is available.

Advertisement