Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2012 Olympic Athletics Days - which one?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

I've never been to London so I've no idea where to stay. I don't have anyone I can stay with so I'll have to book a hotel.

Any suggestions for location and hotels?

My ticket is for the 8th so I'm either going to fly over the day before and stay until the Monday so I can catch the marathon, or just stay for 2-3 days and come home. Depends on the funds. I guess it will also depend on whether I can get further tickets.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Well there is triathlon in Hyde Park on the 7th which you can see bits of for free, like the bike and run, although not the finish or transitions I expect.

No idea on hotels really, but wherever you can get that is near a tube station should be fine in theory.

Hmmm, I think the rail line is closer to the Olympic park than the tube line, just from what I seem to have read. The cheapest London hotel so far has quoted me £144 sterling per night.

I also found a hotel in Essex that is charging about £74 a night. It's further out but the train goes direct to the Olympic park in 54 minutes, so not too bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Brianderunner

Olympic park is in Stratford, east London;

It's on the central line and the jubilee line tubes. Central line is generally a nightmare and during the olympics i cant imagine what it would be like. However if you stay east of stratford on the central line, somewhere like leytonstone or newbury park, then you could have a smooth trip in.

Jubilee line is better but it terminates in Stratfrod so your only really going to be coming from the west (city centre) or up by Wembley in the north west, and thats quite a long trek.

The real gem of London transport is the overground, i live beside Gospel Oak station in Camden and its only a 28 minute train ride to Stratford from there, even though i live nowhere near there. Look at Highbury and Islington, Dalston, Camden Road areas for hotels too, it avoids the city centre totally, which is the best part. That line comes all the way from Watford and Richmond. Pretty much anywhere on the overground is ideal (orange symbols on maps)

Also there is the DLR (dockland light railway) which is a bit like the Luas. Any stop on that would be ideal too.

The other method is Stratford mainline rail (you mentioned Essex) but where in Essex? Basildon, Southend, Colchester, Stansted Airport? its a big place. The london/essex border is only a few miles east of the stadium.

All the stratford stations are close to each other, barring the international (but i'm assuming your not coming on the eurostar :)) and i wouldnt worry about which stratford station you arrive into. They all meet in the large terminal building.

I'm the London expert (i should be) so any other questions go ahead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭Pisco Sour

G-Money wrote: »
    Hmmm, I think the rail line is closer to the Olympic park than the tube line, just from what I seem to have read. The cheapest London hotel so far has quoted me £144 sterling per night.

Thank God I know a fair few people in London.
    I also found a hotel in Essex that is charging about £74 a night. It's further out but the train goes direct to the Olympic park in 54 minutes, so not too bad.

Do you really want to be staying there?? :eek: Avoid Basildon like the plague. Every stereotype you've ever heard about Essex exists in all its glory in that town, nicknamed Bas Vegas.

• Advertisement

It was Colchester in Essex I was thinking about.

Good to know those areas in London to look for. I've never been there so I don't have much of a clue about where's good to go and where should be avoided.

As for the transport system, forget it, I haven't a notion about it :D

Olympic park is in Stratford, east London;

It's on the central line and the jubilee line tubes. Central line is generally a nightmare and during the olympics i cant imagine what it would be like. However if you stay east of stratford on the central line, somewhere like leytonstone or newbury park, then you could have a smooth trip in.

Jubilee line is better but it terminates in Stratfrod so your only really going to be coming from the west (city centre) or up by Wembley in the north west, and thats quite a long trek.

The real gem of London transport is the overground, i live beside Gospel Oak station in Camden and its only a 28 minute train ride to Stratford from there, even though i live nowhere near there. Look at Highbury and Islington, Dalston, Camden Road areas for hotels too, it avoids the city centre totally, which is the best part. That line comes all the way from Watford and Richmond. Pretty much anywhere on the overground is ideal (orange symbols on maps)

Also there is the DLR (dockland light railway) which is a bit like the Luas. Any stop on that would be ideal too.

The other method is Stratford mainline rail (you mentioned Essex) but where in Essex? Basildon, Southend, Colchester, Stansted Airport? its a big place. The london/essex border is only a few miles east of the stadium.

All the stratford stations are close to each other, barring the international (but i'm assuming your not coming on the eurostar :)) and i wouldnt worry about which stratford station you arrive into. They all meet in the large terminal building.

I'm the London expert (i should be) so any other questions go ahead.

The overground option sounds the best. I'll probably get stuck into an accomodation search this weekend. Just need to work out whether to go for a couple of days or stay for about 6 nights to catch the marathon. My ticket is for the 8th so I'll need to arrive on Tuesday 7th.

It was Colchester in Essex I was thinking about.

Good to know those areas in London to look for. I've never been there so I don't have much of a clue about where's good to go and where should be avoided.

As for the transport system, forget it, I haven't a notion about it :D

Colchester is miles out. You'd have to leave straight after the athletics the Wednesday night, where would the craic be then. Check out this website to plan your journey to Stratford from any location your thinking about before you book anything. See if there is late trains/tubes etc and if its a direct route or not.

Nothing stopping you arriving on the day of your athletics session, it won't start till 6pm or so. I'd say go for Weds and Thurs night. Katie Taylor's final is the Thursday.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Katie Taylor's final is the Thursday.

Did she already get a by in the previous rounds? ;)

Just spent €836 on tickets there from the dutch website :eek: Less than half of them are mine but still.

Imagination christmas for me this year i think :D

• Advertisement

Get anything interesting?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭steve9859

Im sticking up my spare room on www.airbnb.com. Most people arent taking olympic bookings yet, and the prices over those 2 weeks will likely be more than advertised at the moment (I havent decided on my prices yet - still looking at what price hotels will be getting to nearer to the time), but it is a website worth keeping an eye on. Theres a lot of rooms on it

robinph wrote: »
    Get anything interesting?

Beach Volleyball :D Volleyball, Handball.

And of course womens boxing (eggs are quite firmly in the basket there)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭misty floyd

That would be great, help with the atmosphere around the cities.
    Thanks for the advice above Brian. I'm going to go for a hostel for me and the wife in Islington. Close to events and close to Camden town for nights out. The best I found for a hotel was a kip in Camden with a shared bathroom for €800 for 4 nights. Feck that sure a hostel will be a bit of craic and half the price anyway.

Didn't get around to booking any accommodation last weekend. Will hopefully get to it in the next few days.

One of my brothers got told he has an interview to see if he'll get to wear one of these snazzy outfits next year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭TheRoadRunner

Got my fights today. 62 euro return. Added to the 60 blips I paid for my Tuesday evening stadium ticket. 122 euro for an Olympic night, great stuff. Really is the games of the people ;)

Got my fights today. 62 euro return. Added to the 60 blips I paid for my Tuesday evening stadium ticket. 122 euro for an Olympic night, great stuff. Really is the games of the people ;)

:mad: :mad: :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Bella mamma

I'm first in the 'first come, first served' Olympic ticket resale programme.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭Pisco Sour

I'm first in the 'first come, first served' Olympic ticket resale programme.

Olympics have come together a bit for us. Still not a sniff of an athletics ticket but so far we have:

Womens Boxing Semi Finals
    Womens Boxing Finals
    Womens Beach Volleyball
    Womens Volleyball
    Men's Handball

Then all the free events:

Men's Triathlon
    Women's Triathlon (Aileen Morrisson will go well for Ireland here)
    Women's Marathon
    Men's Marathon
    Men's 20k (Robert Heffernan)
    Women's 20k (Olive Loughnane)
    Men's 50k (Heff to do the business in this event I reckon)

We have no events clashing with any evening sessions, so should tickets come available it wont impact on what we already have.

Expensive trip home!

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Bella mamma

Yee did very well indeed! I appled for your 1st 3 events :mad:

My recollection of the triathlons in Athens was that many areas were shut off to non-ticket holders, un-necessarily IMO for spectators and athlethes alike, as there were kilometres of room available :confused:. I'm sure yee'll scout out the course and get a few good spots for each segment.

Good luck with an athlethics ticket, would be the icing on the cake. We're looking well represtented in London, might even make the cycling track.

Have applied 8 times for Wimbledon (again) so willing to do some bartering should anyone be asked to be IN the August wedding party!!

Guess the 'first come, first served last chance saloon' will be a pre-event choosen, nanosecond, finger-on-the-buzzer 6am round, after which I'd wished I'd stayed in bed.

Just got myself a Beach Volleyball and a Table Tennis, to go with my Basketball and Modern Pentathlon tickets.

Strangely they are all for the women's events. :P

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Robin at an event where Brazilian women tend to do well. Why does this not surprise me. :)

Just got myself a Beach Volleyball and a Table Tennis, to go with my Basketball and Modern Pentathlon tickets.

Strangely they are all for the women's events. :P

Did you get those through cosport.com?

I still need to sort flights and accomodation. I only have a ticket for the evening session of athletics on Wednesday 8th, would love a ticket for the 9th and possibly for the 5000m on the Saturday.

Did you get those through cosport.com?

I still need to sort flights and accomodation. I only have a ticket for the evening session of athletics on Wednesday 8th, would love a ticket for the 9th and possibly for the 5000m on the Saturday.

Yep, was through cosport. They didn't have anything for athletics and a lot of the other sports that they did have were starting at €300 per ticket. I just picked the last remaining tickets at the cheapest price for the ones I got.

Yep, was through cosport. They didn't have anything for athletics and a lot of the other sports that they did have were starting at €300 per ticket. I just picked the last remaining tickets at the cheapest price for the ones I got.

Say the athletics tickets were extortionately priced alright, so I skipped them. I'd like a ticket for the Thursday night of the 200m and the 5000m on the Saturday.

Christ those prices are shocking. Imagine paying 1400 euro for an athletics morning session and a session of gymnastics.

Oh can't forget the single day pass to "the House" for cheap fingerfood. That changes everything :D

Really not enjoying this accommodation search.

• Advertisement

Really not enjoying this accommodation search.

Think my accommodation will end up being that I buy my granddad a new telly. He doesn't want or need a new telly, but if I'm going to be staying at his for a couple of random nights during the Olympics, then he will be needing a better TV for me to watch the rest of it on. Will have to check the mobile data signal next time I'm there as well or I may be getting broadband installed for him as well.

Advertisement