Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Formula 1 2011: Round 1-Australia

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭bergkamp10

Dare we even predict a winner in this most unpredictable of races? I'm gonna stick wit the awesome world champ to win, wit my dark horse of schumi on the podium...

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

What do you think cost webber the 0.8 seconds? His non-aerodynamic chin?
    I can't see past vettel for the pole on this one after that display in qualifying.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,131 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

I'll go with Button for the win, 3 in a row in Oz... you never know

Hope the tires make it an interesting race

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Already covered on James Allen's blog. Red Bull wing still flexing like mad. The changes in regulations this year have certainly shaken out the "Tier 1" group of Vettel/Ham/Alonso from the Tier 2 lot of Webber/Button/Massa.

Fantastic performance from Petrov, but of course no coverage of that on Red Bulletin TV aka the Beeb.

Just to be clear, you're putting Hamilton in the top group of drivers and Button in a group below that? Judging from the amount of lock-ups Hamilton's been having all weekend the race should be closer than the qualifying between them. :)

YAAAAAAWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWN.

:)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,251 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

amacachi wrote: »
    YAAAAAAWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWN.

:)

Top o the morning to ya. EJ fairly conservative with the shirt this morning! :pac:
    Looking at that pic of the front wing in action, it's impressive how RBR can pass those tests yet still have the wing kissing the ground almost.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

33 minutes to go.

I like cars.

For a minute there I thought I switched on Top Gear :pac:

Times like these are when I really wish I had a car, would love a breakfast roll. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Sparks43

Times like these are when I really wish I had a car, would love a breakfast roll. :pac:

Just about to have one with a cup of coffee yum:p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,964 ✭✭✭Sitec

Looking forward to this one!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭freestyla

BigAliens wrote: »

hows that allowed?

mclaren has titanuim diffusor instead of carbon fibre? isnt titanium heavier or?

freestyla wrote: »
    hows that allowed?

mclaren has titanuim diffusor instead of carbon fibre? isnt titanium heavier or?

I find that intriguing how they manage to pass the test and still flex the wing so much.

Think they said the diffuser was covered by a layer of titanium rather than totally made of it? Or maybe I heard it wrong, but yeah still heavier though I would guess.

Love watching those on board pole laps.

Andrew76 wrote: »
    I find that intriguing how they manage to pass the test and still flex the wing so much.

Think they said the diffuser was covered by a layer of titanium rather than totally made of it? Or maybe I heard it wrong, but yeah still heavier though I would guess.

Love watching those on board pole laps.
    Titanium is light compared to its strength. I think it's stronger than carbon fibre. It's obviously heavier than CF but it's light for a metal. May also be something to do with fireproofing though I'm not sure.
    EDIT: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Titanium#Aerospace_and_marine has some info on it. I'd imagine McLaren used a simpler, weaker weave on the CF due to time constraints and then used titanium coating to give the piece better strength in terms of anti-splintering etc.

Also I've no idea how RB have managed the flexi-wing, the FIA are to blame for not being able to test for it properly IMO.
    Sparks43 wrote: »
    Just about to have one with a cup of coffee yum:p

Screw you.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Let the race begin..
    :D

Here we go... I'm expecting a couple of groups of 5-6 at the front of the field hitting turn 1.

Petrov fairly mixing things up there!

Eh does Vettel have a hidden turbo or something? 2.4s after 1 lap!!

Can't use the wing on the first two laps!? FFS that would've been awesome there!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭frostie500

Unfortunate for Schumi he made a pretty good start before making contact

• Advertisement

Can't use the wing on the first two laps!? FFS that would've been awesome there!

'Use the wing'

I don't much of the technical stuff :o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,964 ✭✭✭Sitec

Vettel is flying!

Button would've been well-advised to be taking it handier now, get him down the main straight next time around.

Button would've been well-advised to be taking it handier now, get him down the main straight next time around.

Surprised he didn't make the pass there.

IvySlayer wrote: »
    'Use the wing'

I don't much of the technical stuff :o

Wanted to get my message out quickly. :pac:

Have to admit Button's made a mess of the first few laps darting around in Massa's wake and wasting his tyres.

I dunno if there'd be as much praise for a rookie driving how Massa is.

Seems like the last corner is the one that Button can't get the power down on.

Loving Button/Massa fight!

IvySlayer wrote: »
    Loving Button/Massa fight!

Pitting from there will screw them with traffic.

Looks/sounds like the McLarens can keep their tyres a little better than the RBs at least.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,131 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

interesting

Advertisement