Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Formula 1 2011: General discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭losthorizon

amacachi wrote: »
    As has been said by a few people here, hills make for great racetracks!

I agree - Dijon was and is a great circuit and so is Interlagos two other tracks with loads of elevation changes.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,442 ✭✭✭Trampas

I was wondering would it be interesting if the teams could decide on the tyre compound for a race instead of the tyre supplier making the decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭johnnysmack

Trampas wrote: »
    I was wondering would it be interesting if the teams could decide on the tyre compound for a race instead of the tyre supplier making the decision.

Would be even more interesting if instead of choosing from only 2 the compounds provided, they could pick any 2 from supersoft, soft, medium and hard compounds...unless thats what you meant anyway.

Imagine the strategy choices then!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Would be even more interesting if instead of choosing from only 2 the compounds provided, they could pick any 2 from supersoft, soft, medium and hard compounds...unless thats what you meant anyway.

Imagine the strategy choices then!

I think that's what he meant. :pac:

My concern would be giving the fastest car an extra advantage. It's like I said about qualifying tyres, if the races are dull now it'd be something else then.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,442 ✭✭✭Trampas

sorry that is what i meant.

each team could choose their own compound

• Advertisement

Crofty said yesterday in his commentary that 195something was the last true slipstreaming event at Monza. This really puzzled me tbh. Isnt every F1 a Slipstreaming race, indeed every motor race a slipstreaming event? Indeed if you cycle closely behind someone you are slipsteaming.

Crofty said yesterday in his commentary that 195something was the last true slipstreaming event at Monza. This really puzzled me tbh. Isnt every F1 a Slipstreaming race, indeed every motor race a slipstreaming event? Indeed if you cycle closely behind someone you are slipsteaming.

Nah. Even in NASCAR and Indycar there's only a few races a year where slipstreaming makes a big difference. Putting the chicanes in means that being behind another car is pretty much a disadvantage, unless someone gets a run out of a chicane anyway, the slipstream probably won't be enough to catch and pass by the next chicane and the effect will be repeated. Before the chicanes were put in as soon as someone got within the slipstream they'd catch the car ahead hand over fist.

I got this email last October - it seems to be very much genuine

Hi,
    My name is Mike Montgomery and I’m writing to you on behalf of the Production Team of a major new feature-length documentary about Formula One racing (see below for more information about the project) because we are urgently looking for the help of F1 fans...
    If you, or anyone you know, owns original 8mm film footage or photographs shot at F1 Grand Prix between 1968 and 1981, or any other shots of the big F1 names from that golden era, then we want to hear from you – especially if you think you have something that shows an important moment of F1 history.
    The dynamic style of our film draws on footage from many sources – from TV feeds from the 70s, to top-end trackside 35mm footage to unseen 8mm footage or photographs shot by F1 fans. If you have ANY footage, then please contact me at this email address: racingmovie@ymail.com
    Please provide some contact information, and give us a rough idea of what you have and when it was shot. If your footage is relevant to us, I’ll get back to you and we can discuss how to take things forward.
    We have a simple system in place for procuring footage – a major priority is that your rights are protected throughout, and usable footage will ONLY change hands once a written agreement is in place. Apart from the fact that the footage we use will be licensed properly and paid for, hopefully you agree it would be pretty exciting to have your film included in what’s going to be a very dynamic and definitive F1 movie.
    Thanks for taking the time to read this email, and I look forward to hearing from you.
    Best wishes,
    Mike Montgomery
    ABOUT THE PROJECT: The film, as yet untitled, is directed by Paul Crowder, the man behind critically acclaimed and multiple award-winning sports documentaries Dogtown, Riding Giants and Once In A Lifetime. It is being written by Mark Monroe who in March this year collected an Oscar for his most recent documentary film The Cove. It is being produced by Michael Shevloff (Flat-Out Films) and Nigel Sinclair of Spitfire pictures - an LA and UK based film company whose documentary credits also include Martin Scorcese’s recent feature documentary No Direction Home.
    The film is officially sanctioned and backed by Bernie Ecclestone and Formula One Management, who have the following press release on their website: http://www.formula1.com/news/headlines/2010/2/10423.html

I see they are making a film at the moment. Seems to be interesting

http://blog.theimagehunter.com/?p=803

Never will we get two seasons like 07/08 again.This year has been great for the actual racing but it'll be a pity to not have anything riding on the last race.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Not sure if this video has already been posted but it shows Webber's Red Bull hanging in the air at Monza giving full view of the underside. Skip to 3.40 or so to see the juicy bits. Can't imagine Red Bull are happy about it. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,575 ✭✭✭lord lucan

I eagerly await the new FIA regulation on how cars are lifted from crash scenes in order not to reveal technical detail.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭rua1972

They mentioned it during the qauli build up. There were about 50 people with camera's underneath the red bull. Smart guys will put them on ebay.

Photos are everywhere anyway. Anyone who'd have a use for them would already have them.

After today i really am getting fed up with martin brundles attitude towards michael schumacher. Its gone beyond a joke at this stage. The man is really carrying a chip on his shoulder and the BBC website was last week carrying articles giving out about Scumacher. Yet nothing is said about Hamilton and his demolition derby antics.

I really, really hope the DRS for Suzuka is after the spoon somewhere, be awesome seeing some side-by-side stuff up the hill on that narrow bit of tarmac. :)

Reading on the BBC website that the Singapore govt. is thinking of not renewing their contract for more F1 after 2014 for Political reasons.

My thinking is that the Singapore GP always looks good but I cant remember a really good race. The one shock we had was due to out and out cheating. Its one of those GPs that promises so much but delivers very little.

It's a bit Valencish alright. As with everything else, flat track = bad. :pac:

amacachi wrote: »
    It's a bit Valencish alright. As with everything else, flat track = bad. :pac:

After many years of watching motor racing I agree with you. I think changes in track elevation really add to great racing for some unknown reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭overshoot

After many years of watching motor racing I agree with you. I think changes in track elevation really add to great racing for some unknown reason.
    eau rouge, laguna seca's corkscrew (i dont think more need to be mentioned i start drooling at the thought of them)

Interesting article on Future Tv rights - this is due to a European court ruling on all sports so it has a direct influence on football as well as rugby etc

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/motorsport/formulaone/8807843/Formula-One-will-adapt-to-ensure-maximum-viewing-figures-in-light-of-ECJ-ruling-says-Benie-Ecclestone.html

• Advertisement

I saw a message about this on Joe sawards blog. But it is only for sky in pubs. That's why you'll see a pint logo in pubs with the flat screens.
    Little hope for cheap sky in your home.

rua1972 wrote: »
    I saw a message about this on Joe sawards blog. But it is only for sky in pubs. That's why you'll see a pint logo in pubs with the flat screens.
    Little hope for cheap sky in your home.

It's to do with free trade so it applies to consumers as well.

Update on the Rush film. Apparently they have already started filming and began work in the Nurburgring. Some nice photos!

http://bridgetogantry.com/2/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=281:ron-howards-rush-filming-at-the-ring&catid=1:news&Itemid=300053

Interesting article on what GPs might be taking place or not next season

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/95834

• Registered Users Posts: 11,729 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

I would love to see Turkey back holding a race. It's a great circuit there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 464 ✭✭PJTierney

http://www.pjtierney.net/2011/11/return-of-formula-1-posters.html

Slide_960.jpg

Looking for some feedback on this, I made these F1 posters earlier on in the season but was asked by FOM halfway through to stop selling. I think I've found a solution though and ran a quick blog post about it.

Appreciate any comments that come my way, thanks in advance :)

They are cool!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 464 ✭✭PJTierney

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    PJ can you delete that message and stick it in a new thread for me please?

(PS I Like it)
    I don't think there's a need to at this stage, as I've pretty much finalised which 5 I'll use.

Britain
    Monaco
    Japan
    Singapore
    India

Thanks for the kind words though :)

PJ that's impressive stuff. Too bad FOM stops these things just like the clips on youtube. Keep up the good work.

• Advertisement

Alessandro Zanardi who used to drive in F1 and lost both his legs in a terrible crash in Champ cars has won the New York Marathon in the Hand Cycle Class. What a guy!

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/07112011/66/gv-zanardi-wins-new-york-marathon.html

Advertisement