Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Formula 1 2011: General discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

It is.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭losthorizon

markc1184 wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me if its true about regulations in the offing to make engines a 1600cc turbocharged unit for future seasons?

Its not coming in until 2014 though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭frostie500

Not starting the proper thread as Frostie will do that!

Should have it up tomorrow, I moved house and im still waiting for ntl to connect the broadband in the new house, using the phone now. I actually have a few surprises planned for the weekend which I should be able to confirm tomorrow when I post the preview!

Interviews?? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭frostie500

amacachi wrote: »
    Interviews?? :D
    Correct and right! Hoping to get confirmation tomorrow so fingers crossed

• Advertisement

Have to say that watching the classic F1 on BBC is reminding me just how bloody ugly the current cars are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭11811

amacachi wrote: »
    Have to say that watching the classic F1 on BBC is reminding me just how bloody ugly the current cars are.

In fairness they now look far more appealing the 2007 and 2008 yokes!

I was thinking the 07/08 ones were bad but I much, much prefer them to the current ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭Beekay

Anyone here listen to or able to recommend any good F1/Motorsport related podcasts?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,280 ✭✭✭Glico Man

Watching Classic F1 on the red button, Montreal 2007.

A miracle and testament to safety that he walked away

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Grim.

Beekay wrote: »
    Anyone here listen to or able to recommend any good F1/Motorsport related podcasts?

radio le mans do a brilliant show every week called midweek motor sport always enjoyable and informative, should be up for download now

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭h3000

0118 999 881 999 119 725 3

The Flying Lap

http://smibs.tv/

Archives also available on youtube

• Registered Users Posts: 30,131 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

http://sidepodcast.com/ is very good, especially the "aside with Joe" episodes

The Flying lap is good too

• Registered Users Posts: 22,257 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

h3000 wrote: »

Ah brilliant, i hope he does a lap in the reasonable priced car :D

• Registered Users Posts: 791 ✭✭✭sob1467

Schumacher is to stay on next season with Mercedes acording to BBC http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/formula_one/14073487.stm I definitly didn't expect his comeback to last 3 years.

Can't wait on top gear on Sunday night now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Autosport wrote: »
    Ah brilliant, i hope he does a lap in the reasonable priced car :D

Ah, just when you thought Top Gear couldn't get any more predicatable...Vettel goes top of the F1 board :p If he does I bleedin' give up :D
    sob1467 wrote: »
    Schumacher is to stay on next season with Mercedes acording to BBC http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/formula_one/14073487.stm I definitly didn't expect his comeback to last 3 years.

Can't wait on top gear on Sunday night now.

Delighted if Schui stays on, I think Canada gave him a teaser of that podium feel & could have just been what he needed. Since then, he does seem to have a bit more 'edge' to him & while todays slip up was a mistake, nobody can ever say he didn't try when he came back. I honestly believe himself & Rosberg are getting the most that car has to offer...love to see Schui in a competetive car, I doubt he's lost much if anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭pegasus1

EnterNow wrote: »
    Ah, just when you thought Top Gear couldn't get any more predicatable...Vettel goes top of the F1 board :p If he does I bleedin' give up .

If he does hit the top and gives his infamous finger...thats it letter of complaint to the beeb for over booting a mans ego!;)

EnterNow wrote: »
    Ah, just when you thought Top Gear couldn't get any more predicatable...Vettel goes top of the F1 board :p If he does I bleedin' give up :D.

I'm starting to feel like Bill Murray.

Joking aside, I thought he was a good sport & came across very well. Fair dues to him.

^^ +1

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭jcf

So does that f*cking TWAT Alonso have a good chance now of winning the title after yesterday ?

jcf wrote: »
    So does that f*cking TWAT Alonso have a good chance now of winning the title after yesterday ?

with 250 points still for first place still to get...anyone's guess but Vettel has too much of a buffer!

pegasus1 wrote: »
    with 250 points still for first place still to get...anyone's guess but Vettel has too much of a buffer!

This season is well decided, has been for a few races now. Did Bernie hint yesterday that everyone signed to stick with the way things were? If so, thats it in stone.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,631 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

pegasus1 wrote: »

I wouldn't wish any ill-effect on any driver but Vettle needs to do a 1999 Schumacher special.

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,257 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

I have to say I thought Vettel was good on Top gear, Funny guy and its nice to see another side to him BUT i still hate the finger :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,280 ✭✭✭Glico Man

Haven't seen it posted so apologies if it has been...

Blown diffuser technology allowed until the end of the season. Banned from 2012. FIA is an absolute farce if they believed they could ban it halfway through the season. It even goes against their rules (gentlemen's agreement to not change rules during F1 season) to do so.
    Formula 1's governing body has brought the sport's latest technical row officially to an end.

A dispute over the use of exhaust gases to enhance downforce came to a head at the British Grand Prix last weekend.

But after the teams reached a compromise agreement to end the dispute on Sunday, governing body the FIA has now made that position official.

Teams will be able to continue to use the technology this season before it is effectively banned in 2012.

The row had been over so-called off-throttle blowing of the diffuser, which is where teams direct exhaust gases over the rear floor of the cars even when the driver is not pressing the accelerator. This boosts downforce and therefore cornering speeds.

The FIA said in a statement on Thursday that it still considered the practice "questionable" but that because of the complexity of the situation it had agreed to reinstate the rules as they were at the European Grand Prix, the race before Silverstone.

This means off-throttle blowing will remain legal for the remainder of the season but that teams will not be allowed to change their engines settings - or maps - between qualifying and race.

Teams are not allowed to change their cars after qualifying under what are known as F1's "parc ferme" regulations.

The FIA statement said it had acted because teams were using "extreme" throttle maps for qualifying that were then "changed for more durable solutions in the race".

The issue came to a head at Silverstone after the FIA chose to go one step further and try to limit the amount of open throttle that could be used when the driver was not pressing the accelerator.

World champions Red Bull and their engine supplier Renault objected after a concession was granted to Mercedes-engined teams, who then objected after a concession aimed at balancing this out was granted to Renault.

The concession to Renault was then removed, but only after Red Bull agreed to race at Silverstone at what they considered to be a disadvantage on the condition the issue was addressed for the next event.

In the midst of the dispute, the bosses of the Red Bull and McLaren-Mercedes teams had a public argument on the subject in a news conference.

The FIA said it had abandoned its attempts to ban the technology this year because "this was felt to be the most sensible solution to a very complicated matter as the possibility of finding an alternative solution, which would be fair to all engine manufacturers, was becoming increasingly unlikely".

The issue will be removed for 2012, when cars will have to have exhausts exiting at a higher level, where the gases cannot be directed into the diffuser, which is a critical aerodynamic part at the back of the cars.

BBC Sport

The part from the above quote:
    The FIA statement said it had acted because teams were using "extreme" throttle maps for qualifying that were then "changed for more durable solutions in the race".

Its so simple even the FIA should be able to see it. Whatever map setting you set your Quali lap on, is the map setting you use for the race. Same as tyres. Why not have something like that?

You'd develop strategy & counter strategy more, with some teams electing less efficient quali maps and sacrificing grid position for more efficient race maps. It'd cut out any whinging (obviously except for RB as they have the benefit of having mastered both map settings for their car) too.

(Edit - Obviously I'm only talking about blown diffuser map settings & not fuel trims, throttle maps etc)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭EvilMonkey

That's what they are doing now isn't it?
    This means off-throttle blowing will remain legal for the remainder of the season but that teams will not be allowed to change their engines settings - or maps - between qualifying and race.

Teams are not allowed to change their cars after qualifying under what are known as F1's "parc ferme" regulations.

EDIT actually reading that again they may be able to make changes once their out of parc ferme.

• Advertisement

So Lewis is engaged. That will take the edge off his driving.

Advertisement