Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Formula 1 2011: General discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭freestyla

Grim. wrote: »

hilarious :D
    they had to bring a whit of history with Hakkinen there because the Bulls are so new team :P

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Top Dog

Just in case anyone might be interested in them, I'm trying to get rid of 2 Formula 1 yearbooks. Free to whoever wants them. (Hope this isn't against the forum rules mods - I'm not looking for money so technically not selling and just giving away. Apologies if this isn't allowed).

http://www.adverts.ie/other-books-magazines/motor-related-books/536337

• Registered Users Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭losthorizon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Top Dog wrote: »
    Just in case anyone might be interested in them, I'm trying to get rid of 2 Formula 1 yearbooks. Free to whoever wants them. (Hope this isn't against the forum rules mods - I'm not looking for money so technically not selling and just giving away. Apologies if this isn't allowed).

http://www.adverts.ie/other-books-magazines/motor-related-books/536337

Ya would have to be in Cork. I've one from the late 90s, gorgeous photos etc.

Did Schumi recognized this fan anyhow? or just thinking "what a freak"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭ro_chez

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 BerwickB

Petrov is a revelation. Heidfeld is a good driver, but Petrov is making him look bad. He is one to watch.
    Top Dog wrote: »
    And not only that - Petrov's fastest Q3 time was almost a full 2 seconds faster than the best Heidfeld could manage out of the same car :eek:

I'm sadly beginning to think that I bet on the wrong horse with this weeks competition :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭vincenzolorenzo

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    ??

Heidfeld had a podium over the weekend and Petrov didnt finish (plus he damaged his car in the process).

+1
    However Petrov is driving well in general this year, certainly a lot better than last year. He had a great race in Australia, this race not so great but there is potential there that wasn't overly obvious last season. I do hope quick nick does well this year though. He's a good solid reliable driver for any team. Worth his spot in F1 i reckon

Just out of interest, does anyone think the slow teams seem to be too obliged to get out of the way when they're getting lapped? Compared to 10-12 years ago it just looks very silly how they all **** themselves, get off-line and let a whole queue of cars past them straightaway.

amacachi wrote: »
    Just out of interest, does anyone think the slow teams seem to be too obliged to get out of the way when they're getting lapped? Compared to 10-12 years ago it just looks very silly how they all **** themselves, get off-line and let a whole queue of cars past them straightaway.

Right this way slower teams seems like totally another class which is not fair. Anyway they have their own race against other slow cars + its usually young drivers learning racing lines and engineers testing car parts.. I'd suggest for them to stay inline and drive own race and faster cars could overtake them the same way they are overtaking each other anyway! - step out of the line on braking or take outside line!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,575 ✭✭✭lord lucan

I know we'd all like to get close to an F1 car but this guy took it just a bit too far!:pac::pac:

He is in fact a marshall,quite what he was thinking i don't know!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,476 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

oh dear, Buemi crashes again...

:P:pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 30,071 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

Kind of ruins it when somebody does something stupid like that. He's sort of lucky he hit the top of the car and didn't end up dragged under the wheel

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭rua1972

Marshal? looks more like a bull-fighter to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭johnnysmack

i reckon he was dared to jump over an F1 car.

Does anyone know what the story is with the mandatory weight distribution? I was under the impression it was brought in to aid with tyre development and I'm wondering if it'll be gotten rid of at some point in the not too distant future.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭ratedR

This seems to be gaining momentum again. The BBC seem to be a bit strapped for cash though. Isnt the broadcast centre for sale, and also I've read that they are looking to lay off staff.

On the plus side, according to Jake Humphrey, F1 viewing figures are at a 10 year all time high in the UK at the moment. I'm not sure how or even if that translates to reveune for the BBC, but they do put on a hell of a show over the weekend, if would be an awful shame it they dropped it.

Having to pay for it would gaule me even more.

ratedR wrote: »
    This seems to be gaining momentum again. The BBC seem to be a bit strapped for cash though. Isnt the broadcast centre for sale, and also I've read that they are looking to lay off staff.

On the plus side, according to Jake Humphrey, F1 viewing figures are at a 10 year all time high in the UK at the moment. I'm not sure how or even if that translates to reveune for the BBC, but they do put on a hell of a show over the weekend, if would be an awful shame it they dropped it.

It doesn't. Hopefully however Bernie and the others will realise that at a certain point exposure > upfront broadcast charges.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭Iron Hide

ratedR wrote: »

Being able to watch the race right through without ad breaks is a major plus, and given ITV's recent timing of ad breaks we probably would have missed Buttons overtake on Vettel last weekend had the race been on ITV.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Iron Hide wrote: »
    Being able to watch the race right through without ad breaks is a major plus, and given ITV's recent timing of ad breaks we probably would have missed Buttons overtake on Vettel last weekend had the race been on ITV.

Couldn't see myself sitting through ads every 10/15 mins again...nope. It'd be a killer blow for F1 here & in the UK if the BBC lost it.

I would refuse to watch it on ITV, Id stream it or download it from bitorrent and watch it the next day.

Absolutely, but would it be a case of then having to listen to the German version of DC etc?

I would refuse to watch it on ITV, Id stream it or download it from bitorrent and watch it the next day.

Does anywhere else in the world show it without ads though? Hate when ya download races and a 2 hour race is about an hour and ten minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭vincenzolorenzo

Ah sure you'd never know, maybe RTE might get it! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 9,575 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Iron Hide wrote: »
    and given ITV's recent timing of ad breaks we probably would have missed Buttons overtake on Vettel last weekend had the race been on ITV.

The race tv directors are doing their best to do this as it is this season. As Button closed on Vettel the camera cut to Buttons crew in the garage. Even they were gesticulating at the camera to go back to the race and not be showing them on tv at such a crucial stage.:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Pablo Sanchez

Think it was Rupert Murdochs outlets pushing this story in a big way, maybe hoping to soften up Bernie etc for his purchase of the sport?

amacachi wrote: »
    Does anywhere else in the world show it without ads though? Hate when ya download races and a 2 hour race is about an hour and ten minutes.

To be honest, I watch literally nothing on tv primarily because of ads. Anything I watch, & a lot of it would be episodic tv stuff etc is dvd based or worst case recorded & the ads ffw'd.

I'd do that with F1, but we all know the thrill of F1 is watching it as its happening. And if it ever went to Sky, that'd be it really for me because to watch F1 would simply cost too much.

The BBC coverage is so well done, & a credit to the BBC as a network. Free Practice sessions, Quali & Race, Fan Forums etc...all completely free, and ad free too. If BBC lose the F1 deal, say goodbye to all of that & watch ads for Britains Got Talent every few minutes? Not a hope lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

Ah sure you'd never know, maybe RTE might get it! :P

I liked it when RTE showed F1 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭losthorizon

It looks like we might be having showers for the Siverstone weekend! Could make for interesting racing and maybe qualifying. Not starting the proper thread as Frostie will do that!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭markc1184

Can anyone tell me if its true about regulations in the offing to make engines a 1600cc turbocharged unit for future seasons?

Advertisement