Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Formula 1 2011: General discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/93716

Apparently Pirelli have offered to have qualifying tyres for next year. I would not be happy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

amacachi wrote: »
    http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/93716

Apparently Pirelli have offered to have qualifying tyres for next year. I would not be happy.

What is that in a nutshell? Tyres used & discarded after quali, leaving a complete set for the race?

Yup. Would basically make things easier for the faster teams again which tends to make races a little worse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Yup. Would basically make things easier for the faster teams again which tends to make races a little worse.

Jesus, they really are making a complete arse of formula 1. The Sky deal, heritage tracks being replaced by corporate playgrounds, & now a reset button between saturdays & sundays.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭EvilMonkey

Assuming the qualifying tyres are made right and are able to give massive grip for one hot lap i think it could be good.

The current system makes it easy for the fast teams because their usually the ones who can save a new set of soft tyres for the race and qualify reasonably.

I never liked the top 10 starting on their fastest tyre rule so hopefully with qualifiers they would drop that.

If each team is given one set qualifying tyres to use when they like it could be interesting with midfield teams using them to get into q2/q3 at the expense of faster cars saving them for q3.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭frostie500

The one thing about quali tyres is that they are a completely different type of tyre. They mask the issues of cars and the ability to use them to their fullest demands something completely different from a driver. If you look at the eighties with quali tyres, or indeed MotoGP only three or four years ago, drivers have to nurse them on their outlap and care from them during the lap otherwise they will lose their edge by the end of the lap. As a result if a Red Bull, McLaren or Ferrari driver had them this year and they pushed too hard on their quali lap someone like Rosberg(or another midfield runner) could be well placed to qualify at the front of the field.

I wouldnt be too against the use of them, much like the tyres for this year, DRS etc wait and see what they are like before coming to judgement.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭losthorizon

EvilMonkey wrote: »

If each team is given one set qualifying tyres to use when they like it could be interesting with midfield teams using them to get into q2/q3 at the expense of faster cars saving them for q3.

I assume it would be qualifying tyres for q1, q2 and q3. No point otherwise surely? With maybe three sets allowed for the saturday or something. I dont like the idea anyway.

TBH I'm very old fashioned I dont like the constant stopping for tyres. If I had my way there would be no pit stops in a race except for dmage to the car or a puncture or obviously rain.

Passing should be done on track not in the Pit and you should be able to follow a race with the sound turned down ou your TV or if watching at the track without the slightest difficulty. Its a simple sport. First home wins.

Hopefully thats spelled correctly as Ive three glasses of wine drunk :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,575 ✭✭✭lord lucan

According to this article: http://formula-one.speedtv.com/article/f1-michael-schumacher-admits-eyeing-return-to-retirement/ ,Schumacher is thinking of retiring again at the end of this season.

We obviously don't see what goes on behind the scenes but certainly his public face has been considerably more relaxed than the Schumi of old. Maybe that drive,the will to succeed at all costs is gone and he does really feel that he's done as much as he can.

Or it could be all BS and reporters trying to fill column inches during the weeks without races. Can't wait to hear what EJ says when they return at Spa!:pac:

Read something similar a couple of weeks ago. Seems the summer break is harder to fill than they were expecting. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭ro_chez

He apparently said the exact opposite recently as reported on gpupdate.net!

http://www.gpupdate.net/en/f1-news/266107/i-ll-be-racing-in-2012-insists-schumacher/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭johnnysmack

I hope he stays for many years yet even if it is in a mid field car. Its great to have him there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭vincenzolorenzo

Saying the exact opposite here: :D

http://www.itv.com/formula1/news/2011/8/schumacher-gears-up-for-next-season-3232/

Definitely wants to race next year and not ruling out continuing on even after that!

I have said it before Rosberg has the upper hand over Schumi in practice but Schumi is hands down way better in the races this season than Rosberg.

Schumachers points total doesnt do him justice.

I would actually question Rosbergs ability.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭bamboozling

I think Rosberg has the ability to win titles, but he's never had a car even capable of winning a race. I doubt he's just running down his contract. What are his options?

I don't know how people can claim that Schumacher has been better in the races. He had one great race in Canada and has been distinctly mediocre otherwise, his point finishes this season being, 9,8,6,4,9,8.

Rosberg; 5,5,7,7,6,7,9. Rosberg qualifies better, get's better results and has been far superior to Schumacher in almost every facet of grand prix racing since they became team mates.

Also anyone know when most contracts are up, will there be a merry go round like we saw in 2010 any time soon?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭bamboozling

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    The actual results dont tell the actual story of the race so its not fair just to spit out the results. Rosbery generally goes backwards in the race.

He does to an extent, but it's generally after putting in an excellent qualifying lap. Rosberg going backwards is generally strategy related so it would be fair to apportion some of the blame towards the team.

He does to an extent, but it's generally after putting in an excellent qualifying lap. Rosberg going backwards is generally strategy related so it would be fair to apportion some of the blame towards the team.

schumacher generally goes forward during the race so is that the team giving him good strategy or him racing well? I like rosberg but a good qualifying lap followed by a sunday afternoon of going backwards isnt what any team wants where as michael is the opposite, qualifies bit further back but nearly always makes up places in the race. Yes he's had few errors and collisions which has cost him points (Valencia, turkey, silverstone off top of my head) but on average he has been quicker on race day then rosberg.

Actually the more i think back over season the more i think michael is still far beyond rosberg. Car failure in monaco while running very well in good points position and again in hungary had to retire from points position.

Extra bit of luck for remainder of season and michael will have more points than rosberg. Im certain of it. The big joy will be back!!

DRS has been banned at eau rouge. Its been deemed too dangerous.

Question: Does the BBC iplayer also have full recoreded coverage of gps or just highlights? I just have have no method of recording the Belgium GP this weekend for my wife whos also a fan as she will be out for the race.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭Alter-Ego

Senna to Replace Heidfeld at Renault: http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/93914?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter
    Bruno Senna will race for Renault at this weekend's Belgian Grand Prix, replacing Nick Heidfeld who is now set to leave the team.

Following intense discussions between Renault and Heidfeld's representatives over the past few days, the team's driver situation was finally resolved on Wednesday night when the outfit confirmed that Senna would be racing at Spa.

A short statement issued by the team said: "Lotus Renault GP is pleased to announce that Bruno Senna will race alongside Vitaly Petrov at this weekend's Belgian Grand Prix at Spa-Francorchamps.

"Bruno will attend the Official FIA Press Conference tomorrow at 15.00. A press release with further details on the matter will be issued tomorrow morning."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭11811

Very interesting indeed, be good to see what Senna can do with a better car under him. Although I do like Heidfeld...

• Advertisement

IMO Heidfeld is totally overrated cant see the attraction in him at all. Interesting to see how Senna gets on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭pegasus1

Excellent news.. Come on Senna...:)

Sad that it will be the last season that I will watch due to a little short mans stupid money grabbing ways

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Chopper888

I think Senna is only a short term solution for Renault. Romain Grosjean (current gp2 championship leader) is expected to take over the seat after Monza.

Chopper888 wrote: »
    Romain Grosjean (current gp2 championship leader) is expected to take over the seat after Monza.

Didnt Grosjean used to drive for Renault few years ago and was pretty awful? Maybe he improved while away.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Grim.

Didnt Grosjean used to drive for Renault few years ago and was pretty awful? Maybe he improved while away.

that was more down to him being thrown into a **** car and expected to perform on a par with alonso

Grosjean is an excellent driver. Just not given a chance to thrive - hes way better than Senna who has the name and backing. Put Romain and Bruno in the same car and I know who I would back.

Funny cartoon - accurate though!

Imola Has passed all FIA tests and is again ready to host a GP if ever called upon. I know it has bad memories but it is a good track.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,251 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Imola Has passed all FIA tests and is again ready to host a GP if ever called upon. I know it has bad memories but it is a good track.

Didn't it have some good races in it's last few years? Schumi trying to pass Alonso (except for the itv cock up taking a break with a few laps to go) then the roles were reversed a year later or so with Alonso trying to pass.

• Advertisement

As has been said by a few people here, hills make for great racetracks!

Advertisement