Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aer Lingus Engineering Apprenticeships 2011

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

LeakRate wrote: »
    Second that,dont live in shannon,best thing in shannon is the road out of it,thats what we were thought in phase 1:D Live in either Ennis or Limerick,i opted for limerick,LIT student village,Cratloe wood,only a 20min spin to fas shannon from there,some great student nights in limerick to help the 9 months fly by ;)

I like this! but is this 20 mins by car or by foot? To be fair Im not gunna be bringing my car down, and hate bumming lifts so Id rather be able to get into FAS on the aul rothar.

Think ill give shannon a miss, the only plus I had was it was close to FAS. Id rather come back to Dublin on the weekends though, Im not cut out for the country life :p

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭stephenk123

LeakRate wrote: »
    Second that,dont live in shannon,best thing in shannon is the road out of it,thats what we were thought in phase 1:D Live in either Ennis or Limerick,i opted for limerick,LIT student village,Cratloe wood,only a 20min spin to fas shannon from there,some great student nights in limerick to help the 9 months fly by ;)

do you have to be a student in LIT to stay in Cratloe wood also do fas cover some of the rent, thanks
    stephen

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭LeakRate

20mins drive sadly,there's a decent bus service every hour or so which only takes about half hour,fas was 08:30 to 15:45 so the extra time on the commute didnt hurt to much,no you dont have to be a student to stay in cratloe,i was doing the same apprenticeship as yerselfs,was 50euro a week for a room,you will get a digs allowance aswell from fas which was 70 euro a week,20 in the pocket for boozin:Di was the same kona,home to dublin most weekends,but great craic to be had during the week nights in limerick,probs the best 9months of my apprenticeship,would happily do it again!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 332 ✭✭FOGOFUNK

kona wrote: »
    I like this! but is this 20 mins by car or by foot? To be fair Im not gunna be bringing my car down, and hate bumming lifts so Id rather be able to get into FAS on the aul rothar.

Think ill give shannon a miss, the only plus I had was it was close to FAS. Id rather come back to Dublin on the weekends though, Im not cut out for the country life :p

I think you would be mad not to bring your car, we used to go all over the place to get out of shannon/ennis. Lough Derg, Lisdoonvarna, Lahinch. cliffs of Moher etc.

Limerick, Bunratty or Newmarket on Fergus would be the best places to stay, I might be in to talk to you about it before you guys head down.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭CaptainSkidmark

I got a call this morning about my airside pass form and i wasn't called for a medical... My mate went for the medical last monday and they chap said there was about 40 gone for the medical so far and he said there would be a few more also.... So i wouldnt advise people to go counting their chickens yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 47 Skyb

This post has been deleted.

or tuesday so what ever day it was, Was the 5 year background check not the airside pass form?? wonder why she rang about that now at this stage.

or tuesday so what ever day it was, Was the 5 year background check not the airside pass form?? wonder why she rang about that now at this stage.

Airside pass was a totally different thing, there was a form for the garda and another for the DAA.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 doink

Just wondering if anybody after completing the interview actually got a rejection email or anything?or is it a case of unsucessful people just didnt hear anything.

• Advertisement

doink wrote: »
    Just wondering if anybody after completing the interview actually got a rejection email or anything?or is it a case of unsucessful people just didnt hear anything.

I heard nothing and then 2 weeks ago ar there abouts they rang me about a mistake on my 5 year background check lol

My mate got called for a medical a few weeks after the rest so they still seem to be picking and choosing. Dount ill get called for a medical though at this stage.

Dont think the lads here even heard back since the medical

• Registered Users Posts: 8 doink

I havent heard a thing and know I didnt get it but you would think they would of sent out rejection letters to those unsucessful

i got a call today confirming start date. They said the delay was because of the amount of people they had to tell were unsuccessful. They stil couldnt give many details. Was told id get an email a week before the start date.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭lintdrummer

kona wrote: »
    i got a call today confirming start date. They said the delay was because of the amount of people they had to tell were unsuccessful. They stil couldnt give many details. Was told id get an email a week before the start date.

Same story here. Will be seeing you shortly then Kona.

well done lads!

• Registered Users Posts: 44 NwRepairman

Guess i'll be joining you there too guys ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Just got a call from HR to offer me a cancellation place, apparently I was ranked next highest.

Turned it down (with extreme difficulty) because I'm on the assesment list for the pilot cadetship which is the real dream.

Someone else is about to get a call - hope its a boardsie so wish you every bit of luck!

sdeire wrote: »
    Just got a call from HR to offer me a cancellation place, apparently I was ranked next highest.

Turned it down (with extreme difficulty) because I'm on the assesment list for the pilot cadetship which is the real dream.

Someone else is about to get a call - hope its a boardsie so wish you every bit of luck!

:o you are mad! Why not take it and see how the cadetship goes?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Because it starts on Monday :(

Trust me, hardest decision I've ever had to make.

• Advertisement

Yea they did leave it very very late, I just got my forms yesterday morning! Goodluck with the cadetship!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭chewits

Wow, Talk about throwing your eggs in the one basket.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,743 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

What about taking it and hoping to get though to cadets in a few weeks?
    Keeps a safety net active for you.

Chewits: Nice contribution there.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭dannye92

you kept that quiet!!

you mad?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 high ho

how did everyone get on today on their first day in aer lingus?

Great! It's nice to be working for such a professional company for a change.

Plenty of information to take in today, general HR induction, Engineering induction and introduction from FÁS. Really excited now about getting into it all! Off to Hanger 6 for the day tomorrow so that'll be amazing to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Darius.Tr

Plenty of information to take in today, general HR induction, Engineering induction and introduction from FÁS. Really excited now about getting into it all! Off to Hanger 6 for the day tomorrow so that'll be amazing to see.

Keep us posted how it goes, hopefully I'll get the apprenticeship next year or the year after :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

wait until you've been there a while....

wait until you've been there a while....

They're a hell of a lot better than any company I've been with before anyway so that's a good start! Any of the staff that I've been talking to seem very happy to be there.

Are you in engineering trig?

Got up close to an A320 getting some engine work today which was good to see. Also got a good look around the Iolar, they've done a fantastic job with that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭A320

Got up close to an A320 getting some engine work today which was good to see.

I cant wait for the day that you will curse yourself working on an engine :D:D It's just the nature of it,it will happen :D

Advertisement