Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Livestock/General Farming photo thread ***READ MOD NOTE IN POST #1***

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Richk2012

Kovu Murr wrote: »
    There's no point keeping them, only eating more than giving back. Has yours odd joints? This was mine- http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056382181

Wats that green stuff that there standing on ????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

A few of my late november/december calves. Some off Pedigree CH stock bull. LM ones are off AI and heifers.
    Usually have them on a bit of creep by now, but holding off. Cows have plenty of milk as they are on good silage and a bit of fodder stretcher morning and evening.

DSC_0001_zpsb508ccd1.jpg

DSC_0002_zpse3151b90.jpg

DSC_0004_zpsa9c453d5.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭AntrimGlens

like peas in a pod there relig - nice batch of calves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭leg wax

Couple of first calvers and bull calves for the suckler ring tomorrow - first of this years drafts for sale. All pb and off our own stock bull, calves are feb born. Don't know what trade will be like but i had them entered and advertised and the auctioneer rang today to make sure i was bringing them as he had a man taking a day off work to come - at least one persons interested!
    where are these going to be sold?

Couple of first calvers and bull calves for the suckler ring tomorrow - first of this years drafts for sale. All pb and off our own stock bull, calves are feb born. Don't know what trade will be like but i had them entered and advertised and the auctioneer rang today to make sure i was bringing them as he had a man taking a day off work to come - at least one persons interested!

Don't know if you'll get full value for them this weekend. There's too much talk about fodder shortages and lack of grass. Bought 2 cows with calves at foot this week (1 month and 6 weeks old). 1 lm with bull calf at foot 3rd calver for Eur1475 and 1 pedigree shorthorn with pedigree shorthorn heifer calf at foot for Eur1450. Thought they were good value. Culled 7 cows last year at the back end and found that it was cheaper to buy in like this than to keep heifers as replacements, I like to see what sort of a calf a cow will have before I buy them - although I did have a number of heifers have calves in the last few months as replacements too.

Hope you get on well with them. They are lovely calves and you have the cows well fed!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭redzerologhlen

Top class charolais calves there reilig, there is huge demand for those golden charolais around our area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 453 ✭✭caseman

leg wax wrote: »

Me to would like to know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭moy83

There's no point keeping them, only eating more than giving back. Has yours odd joints? This was mine- http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056382181
    Your lad is a better fleshed version of mine , her joints look a bit bigger but I presume thats just part of being dwarfed .
    I dont know if I have the heart to sell her on :o if she looks stronger when she is on grass later on I might otherwise I think maybe keep her for the freezer .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

Richk2012 wrote: »
    Wats that green stuff that there standing on ????
    Outdoor carpet :D
    moy83 wrote: »
    Your lad is a better fleshed version of mine , her joints look a bit bigger but I presume thats just part of being dwarfed .
    I dont know if I have the heart to sell her on :o if she looks stronger when she is on grass later on I might otherwise I think maybe keep her for the freezer .

Did you have any issues with them when they were born? I had to hand feed her for 3 days.

leg wax wrote: »

you'd better leave with the trailer now legs - in Ballymena mart tomorrow.:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,025 ✭✭✭Tipp Man

reilig wrote: »
    Don't know if you'll get full value for them this weekend. There's too much talk about fodder shortages and lack of grass. Bought 2 cows with calves at foot this week (1 month and 6 weeks old). 1 lm with bull calf at foot 3rd calver for Eur1475 and 1 pedigree shorthorn with pedigree shorthorn heifer calf at foot for Eur1450. Thought they were good value. Culled 7 cows last year at the back end and found that it was cheaper to buy in like this than to keep heifers as replacements, I like to see what sort of a calf a cow will have before I buy them - although I did have a number of heifers have calves in the last few months as replacements too.

Hope you get on well with them. They are lovely calves and you have the cows well fed!

Pedigree shorthorn Reilig??

Very interesting

What is your idea behind that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

Couple of first calvers and bull calves for the suckler ring tomorrow - first of this years drafts for sale. All pb and off our own stock bull, calves are feb born. ...
    You're selling PB cows with their calves, right? Are they registered?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭moy83

Outdoor carpet :D

Did you have any issues with them when they were born? I had to hand feed her for 3 days.
    No to be honest I didnt notice much wrong with her in the first couple of months but when her comrades left her behind sizewise was when I noticed she might be a dwarf .
    I wonder is dwarf meat any nicer ...

moy83 wrote: »
    No to be honest I didnt notice much wrong with her in the first couple of months but when her comrades left her behind sizewise was when I noticed she might be a dwarf .
    I wonder is dwarf meat any nicer ...

Judging by the price of Dexter meat they might!:rolleyes:

Tipp Man wrote: »
    Pedigree shorthorn Reilig??

Very interesting

What is your idea behind that?

She was there and I just took a fancy to her. She is a fine square cow with a big bag of milk. I will cross her with a limousin bull and hopefully heifers from her will be good ones and will be kept for breeding. Owner of her was selling out all so there was no fault with her. Calf at foot is a pedigree shorthorn too and if all goes well she will be kept as a cow too.

Plan is to introduce more milk into the herd. Using ai bulls with good milk lines. No point in having big cows that are hard fed but put fat on their back instead of milk in their bag. They'll have good claves, but will end up with bellies at weaning stage. Milk to produce condition instead of creep is the new motto around here.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭The Real Elmer Fudd

you'd better leave with the trailer now legs - in Ballymena mart tomorrow.:D

Did you go to the jalex herd sale & lim sale in ballymena over st Patrick's weekend. They seem to be producing some nice cattle. I'd say they wer pricey.

reilig wrote: »
    She was there and I just took a fancy to her. She is a fine square cow with a big bag of milk. I will cross her with a limousin bull and hopefully heifers from her will be good ones and will be kept for breeding....
    I bought a shorthorn cow like that years ago. I think she had 6 bulls in a row. She always had great calves too, which made it even more frustrating. Murphy's Law...:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭tismesoitis

I sold her on and got 500 for her at 200kg. She was 9 months or so at the time. Looking online now, she's slaughtered so I have no idea how she killed out.

Timesoitis what were yours off?

oldest is off a chx cow we bought in as a heifer so don't know her breeding and last one is off a HKG sim cow.

pakalasa wrote: »
    You're selling PB cows with their calves, right? Are they registered?

yes Pak all registered with society.

was at the jalex sale, wouldn't have been as brisk as previous years - £2600 for two heifers and for a calved heifer - all sim bred. Usually would have been more lim x bb crosses but seems to have gone more maternal route and more simmental.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭The Real Elmer Fudd

was at the jalex sale, wouldn't have been as brisk as previous years - £2600 for two heifers and for a calved heifer - all sim bred. Usually would have been more lim x bb crosses but seems to have gone more maternal route and more simmental.

Had noticed that. Think they bought a curaheen bull. I randomly came across their website a while back n have just kept an eye on it since.keep meaning to go up to that sale every year but something always comes up. They had a lovely charlaois bull alibaba that dovea bought I think but from what I hear he was very hard calved

• Advertisement

This bruiser arrived in style early this morning, surprising us all.

littleredu.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

V lucky that the mother is a good calver as he's HUGE!:o

littlered2.jpg

V lucky that the mother is a good calver as he's HUGE!:o
    Are you sure he didn't jump in from the neighbours. He looks more like 6 wks old.

Are you sure he didn't jump in from the neighbours. He looks more like 6 wks old.

I know! Couldn't believe it when I seen him on the slats this morning. Lucky there was no problems. He's off PIO.

littlered3.jpg

There's a better pic of him. If they all arrived like him I'd be happy:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭adne

Has anyone any feedback on the calves the sim bull APZ is leaving.

His icbf figures are not great.

Had a handy heifer from a small aa cow off him this am.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,057 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

have a smashing bull calf off him born in early Oct. and had a big lump of one last night

• Registered Users Posts: 3,081 ✭✭✭td5man

I know! Couldn't believe it when I seen him on the slats this morning. Lucky there was no problems. He's off PIO.

Did the alarm cat not go off this morning?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭redzerologhlen

adne wrote: »

A neighbour has 2 calves off him, both very handy when born but filling out nicely. One of them is very lively though whether she will quieten or not I dont know. I would have no problem using him on heifers from what I have seen.

td5man wrote: »
    Did the alarm cat not go off this morning?

The alarm cat is off making more alarm cats :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭just do it

adne wrote: »

Mixed. My best calf is by him (bull calf) and I've a few heifers that are average. All born unassisted. Having said that I was looking at them this morning and they are coming on nicely. What they're like at 9-10m is all that matters!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement