Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Livestock/General Farming photo thread ***READ MOD NOTE IN POST #1***

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 533 ✭✭✭towzer2010

Kovu Murr wrote: »
    Was she british fr bred? The blackish nose used to be on ours after we got out of milking. Gave our best calves!

I bought her as a weanling so I dont know but she could be. She is quiet for a LM but is the undisputed title holder of the biggest bully at the same time....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭limo_100

There's the Simmental calf I bought on Saturday hopefully make a cow some day.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭just do it

limo_100 wrote: »
    There's the Simmental calf I bought on Saturday hopefully make a cow some day.
    Out of interest, what AI bulls are you thinking of using this year?

just do it wrote: »
    Out of interest, what AI bulls are you thinking of using this year?

well so far I have being using the charolais bull LGL and the limousin bull ADX. Iv also used OZS on the heifers.

Im gona use OZS and APZ on the rest of the heifers. and I am probably going to use AGZ and TVR and maybe GWO aswell. Im also tempted to try out ZBF aswell on a cow or two. What bulls are you gona use? what have you got good results from so far?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,025 ✭✭✭Tipp Man

Did some fencing at the weekend, raised the roadway a lot last year

The old stakes are at least a foot lower than the new 1's

Also a photo of the new roadway, you'd have no problem running a marathon on it barefoot

• Advertisement

well so far I have being using the charolais bull LGL and the limousin bull ADX. Iv also used OZS on the heifers.

Im gona use OZS and APZ on the rest of the heifers. and I am probably going to use AGZ and TVR and maybe GWO aswell. Im also tempted to try out ZBF aswell on a cow or two. What bulls are you gona use? what have you got good results from so far?
    These year's calves are by
    • HCA - born small but is maturing well, more than happy with calf,
    • LYJ - 3 heifers out of young heifers. Ok but I don't think the mothers have much milk and are still indoors probably for another 3-4 weeks,
    • Charlois DZP - some nice calves with good growth rate and putting up good muscle, and
    • Simmental APZ - 1 smashing bull out of one of my best cows - best calf this year, other 2 middling, but the 2 mothers are poor on milk.
    For better or worse I'm using a good few gene ireland straws. This year I've gotten GJB which is a quality looking AA bull with strong milk figures. He's for a good number of my cows that are low on milk. Also have CH FYB, and two LMs EFZ and FTH. FTY is another gene ireland bull that I'm kind of sorry I didn't order some straws for.

Tipp Man wrote: »
    Also a photo of the new roadway, you'd have no problem running a marathon on it barefoot
    Smashing looking roadway and nice lush grass either side of it. Has it got lime/ slurry/ N ?

Smashing looking roadway and nice lush grass either side of it. Has it got lime/ slurry/ N ?

Urea on the left as you look at it, on the right wasn't given urea

In reality the right hand side has a brown tinge to it, don't think it really comes out in the photo

Not much difference in quantity of grass between fertilised and Non fertilised

No lime recently, both sides regularly get watery slurry, last was back in mid jan, if I remember correctly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

Tipp Man, great surface on that road. What did you blind it with?

pakalasa wrote: »
    Tipp Man, great surface on that road. What did you blind it with?

We used some dust product from Kereen Quarries in co Waterford, i don't know the exact name of it. Was sceptical when we first used it but it is absolutely brilliant. We covered all the roadways with it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭tanko

If you want bull calves you should use OZS. I have eleven calves off him so far and only two heifers. Have ten more to go so maybe it'll even out. Anyone have this "problem" with him?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

tanko wrote: »
    If you want bull calves you should use OZS. I have eleven calves off him so far and only two heifers. Have ten more to go so maybe it'll even out. Anyone have this "problem" with him?
    ICBF has him at 50% male births....1547 births, 776 male births.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Urea on the left as you look at it

Great fencing and roadways there Tippman. Were those paddocks behind the fence grazed off lately? Will you be fencing both sides of that roadway?

These year's calves are by
    • HCA - born small but is maturing well, more than happy with calf,
    • LYJ - 3 heifers out of young heifers. Ok but I don't think the mothers have much milk and are still indoors probably for another 3-4 weeks,
    • Charlois DZP - some nice calves with good growth rate and putting up good muscle, and
    • Simmental APZ - 1 smashing bull out of one of my best cows - best calf this year, other 2 middling, but the 2 mothers are poor on milk.
    For better or worse I'm using a good few gene ireland straws. This year I've gotten GJB which is a quality looking AA bull with strong milk figures. He's for a good number of my cows that are low on milk. Also have CH FYB, and two LMs EFZ and FTH. FTY is another gene ireland bull that I'm kind of sorry I didn't order some straws for.

are the APZ calves easy calved? do they start growing straight away?
    i also have one HCA calf hes a good calf but hes a bit plain. Will you use LYJ again??

tanko wrote: »

im lucky so far have one calved to him and its a heifer calf. I will have 1 or 2 more next month. He throws good stylish calves so he does

are the APZ calves easy calved?
    No issue calving but I'd no issue with any calving. Introduced straw for last 6 weeks and less than top quality silage ensure the calves weren't too big.
    do they start growing straight away?
    I'd a look at them there again today and they're doing fine. The bull is the biggest calf in the place.
    i also have one HCA calf hes a good calf but hes a bit plain.
    The HCA I have was born very plain but is is shaping up nicely now. Is nearly 3mo.
    Will you use LYJ again??
    Proably not but too early to say. Just wanted to vary the breeding in the few heifers I had as they were predominantly LM. Will only be able to comment on them in a few years time as they'll be held as replacements and it's the calves they produce that will dicate whether using LYJ has been a success or not. It's often a plain cow that produces the good calf;).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

Did some fencing at the weekend, raised the roadway a lot last year

The old stakes are at least a foot lower than the new 1's

I see your plagued with rushes down there too!!!

Some furze that I sprayed last year
    20130320211808.jpg

And some that I missed
    20130320212001.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,081 ✭✭✭td5man

Some furze that I sprayed last year
    20130320211808.jpg

And some that I missed
    20130320212001.jpg
    There so beautiful when in flower ;-)
    what did you spray with jdi?

td5man wrote: »
    There so beautiful when in flower ;-)
    what did you spray with jdi?
    Grazon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭Suckler

We used some dust product from Kereen Quarries in co Waterford, i don't know the exact name of it. Was sceptical when we first used it but it is absolutely brilliant. We covered all the roadways with it

We used the same stuff I think; few different names for it - Quarry fines / Quarry dust / Maintenance gravel

It's great if you aren't turning on it; put a good heavy roller on it and it goes near solid. Cattle never mind walking on it either.

This is the end of a new trench I've put in to drain a wet corner of a silage field. You can see the land to the right is wet and the far corner is lower than where the photo is taken from. Water will flow from the far corner towards the camera. The trench is about 5ft deep where I'm standing and shallows out to 2.5ft up at the corner.
    20130322202506.jpg

Then it turns a slight corner along the boundary wall and flows down here. Last photo and this photo taken from same spot.

20130322203400.jpg

Initially there want enough depth when he opened the trench as he hit stone/ gravel at this point. He brough a narrow two tooth bucket the following day and got another 2-2.5 ft depth. Photo shows the profile. Pencil gravel sitting on top of stone

20130322203725.jpg

Then from here there is a great fall down another 80m to an open 6ft main open trench. The first 50m will be piped and filled with stone. This is in the next photo. Then the last 30m will be open along another boundary wall into the open trench.

20130322204712.jpg

There is a dip in the middle of the field as well that is slow to dry so with this trench I now have the option of running a 120m piped and stoned drain to it. I'll leave this trench bed in for this year though and so how it works. I'm keen to reseed this silage field as it's beside the shed but want to get the drainage job done first. Might place the collector drain after a second cut of silage and go for an Autumn reseed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭vanderbadger

put a creep gate on one of the slatted bays this year, got easi fix mats in, moved the stronger calves to that side of the shed, has worked grand, calves stay clean, they seem to go in their to lie down rather than stay with cows and they get meal in there as well, has saved alot of mucking out

fr634size880.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

autumn calf
    fr635size880.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

autumn calf

Are they all autumn calves in them two photos? I have a few autumn calves aswel what weight are your calves? mine would be over 200kg but under 250kg just wondering if they should be heavier. plus mine are all heifers

Are they all autumn calves in them two photos? I have a few autumn calves aswel what weight are your calves? mine would be over 200kg but under 250kg just wondering if they should be heavier. plus mine are all heifers

4 or 5 of them would be older than the rest , they would be around aug time and would be a good deal heavier

• Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭johnpawl

Nice calves there john, whats the story with the white heifer/cow in the last pic? she's a fair tank of an animal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭johnpawl

She's a ch off a big aaxbrfr cow, 2 years old in calf heifer. She's a huge heifer, nothing wrong with the ch off aax imo

• Advertisement

Super looking heifer, what's she in-calf to?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement