Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Livestock/General Farming photo thread ***READ MOD NOTE IN POST #1***

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭johnpawl

tanko wrote: »
    Super looking heifer, what's she in-calf to?

In calf to part due in September, hope she brings the milk from the mother
    http://imageshack.us/a/img839/7508/photomar24185505.jpg

Richk2012 wrote: »
    Two heifer calves .

One by Blonde Bull KCE Kilmoney Bruce .

The second is a week old Limousin by ERE Elite Erasmus .

Just wondering rich have you any heifers kept from Bruce for breeding?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

Photo0075_zps2e545690.jpg

3 week old pedigree LM bull calf Sired by Fieldson Alfy. Dam is off Milbrook Tanko.
    Vary easily calved. Has had a huge growth rate over the last 3 weeks.

Photo0077_zpsde1617ce.jpg

9 month old pedigree bull off Ampertaine Commander and a Neuf cow. Calf has only started getting meal in the last 2 weeks. He has a Maternal Value of €157 and a Terminal Value of €101. He is 5 star for calving difficulty, carcass Weight, Carcass Confirmation, docility and daughter milk. Hope to put him on grass and a few kg of ration per day for selling in October. He will have a bit of age at athat stage and should have a bit of strength, but don't want to over do him either.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Nice stock there Reilig. Good shape to that calf. Will be interesting to see if he will have the same height to him as the older lad at the same age. If he does, he'I be a right one ;)

Btw, I like your creep gate. Is it a jourdain? Is it length of the entire gate adjustable as well as the creep section?

Muckit wrote: »
    Nice stock there Reilig. Good shape to that calf. Will be interesting to see if he will have the same height to him as the older lad at the same age. If he does, he'I be a right one ;)

Btw, I like your creep gate. Is it a jourdain? Is it length of the entire gate adjustable as well as the creep section?

Time will tell with them. I'm not going to over do any of them, so if they aren't suitable for selling as bulls, they will still sell to the factory.

All Jourdain gates in that shed. Length of the entire gate is adjustable as well as the small creep gate. Personally I don't lioke them. By right, they should be welded once you have adjusted them the correct length as the tightnening bolts on them don't stop a large animal from bumring against them and pushing them shorter. it's a pain in the ass to have to loosen the bolts and pull out the bar again if this happens. Although they have great quality steel in them. have other gates in other sheds that were made by a local fabricator and they are easier to open and close.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

reilig wrote: »
    Time will tell with them. I'm not going to over do any of them, so if they aren't suitable for selling as bulls, they will still sell to the factory..
    By this, do you mean if they don't look the part after a few months?
    Also, I've often seen in pedigree catalogues that certain bulls "might not be suitable for pedigree breeding", what do they mean by this?

pakalasa wrote: »
    By this, do you mean if they don't look the part after a few months?
    Also, I've often seen in pedigree catalogues that certain bulls "might not be suitable for pedigree breeding", what do they mean by this?

Exactly. At 14 months, if a bull doesn't look good enough, he'll be sold as a commercial. I'm no expert at it. I've only ever bred 2 other bulls and both were sold as stock bulls and are performing nicely. In reality, I think you will know how goof a bull is at 10 months. The guy in the pic above is a nice animal. The other guy that you can see at the edge of the pic is a pedigree too but due to lameness in the mother she had very little milk for him. he has a bit of a belly and really isn't going to see the inside of a bull sale. He will get a bit more feeding and will then be sold off in a mart.

I have never seen "might not be suitable for pedigree" in any catalogue. Are there any specific bulls that you can mention?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭redzerologhlen

Exactly. At 14 months, if a bull doesn't look good enough, he'll be sold as a commercial. I'm no expert at it. I've only ever bred 2 other bulls and both were sold as stock bulls and are performing nicely. In reality, I think you will know how goof a bull is at 10 months. The guy in the pic above is a nice animal. The other guy that you can see at the edge of the pic is a pedigree too but due to lameness in the mother she had very little milk for him. he has a bit of a belly and really isn't going to see the inside of a bull sale. He will get a bit more feeding and will then be sold off in a mart.

I have never seen "might not be suitable for pedigree" in any catalogue. Are there any specific bulls that you can mention?

DEP the belgian blue was one that I can think of.

Lot 7 in the recent Roscrea Bull sale. The owner had added it to the footnote of the page on the catalogue. I don't want to mention names etc here, but you can see it on the *pdf version on the Limousin website. I though it a strange thing to put, meybe some genetic defect or something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

pakalasa wrote: »
    Lot 7 in the recent Roscrea Bull sale. The owner had added it to the footnote of the page on the catalogue. I don't want to mention names etc here, but you can see it on the *pdf version on the Limousin website. I though it a strange thing to put, meybe some genetic defect or something.

I'm not too sure about LM cattle but this may help-
    http://www.thejudgingconnection.com/pdfs/The_Threat_of_TH_and_PHA.pdf
    and TH itself-

http://www.nilevalleyfarm.4t.com/TH_Shorthorn_cattle.html

There's also AM in Angus. But that's as far as my genetic knowledge.

A quick google shows what blue bulls carry what-

http://www.belgianblue.co.uk/health/test_results.pdf

Some of that is news to me too!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,057 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

DEP had a genetic defect but will only come up in pedigree animals and even then it was fairly rare

DEP had a genetic defect but will only come up in pedigree animals and even then it was fairly rare

One thing I noticed is that SFL, Sylvain Du Pont du....whatever has the Dwarfism gene and he was the sire of my dwarf calf a couple years ago.:pac:

You could be on to something there. Maybe genetics do play a big part in dwarfism in cattle.

An easy calving (haha) ERE calf that's just over a week old. Sorry about the flash!

sdc14177.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

One of our twins showing the others how to be a smartarse and get the best silage. This was our worst twin and has surprised us all.
    (Bonus cow with zombie eyes :P)
    sdc14182e.jpg

Our second youngest calf off PIO. Plus a very handy way of stopping the cow standing on the silage in the calving pen!
    sdc14186t.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Richk2012

Kovu Murr wrote: »
    An easy calving (haha) ERE calf that's just over a week old. Sorry about the flash!

sdc14177.jpg

One of our twins showing the others how to be a smartarse and get the best silage. This was our worst twin and has surprised us all.
    sdc14182e.jpg

Our second youngest calf off PIO. Plus a very handy way of stopping the cow standing on the silage in the calving pen!
    sdc14186t.jpg

That ere calf is showin lovely shape at a week Kovu ;) .
    Be some calf come October...
    Big pull??????

johnpawl wrote: »
    Just wondering rich have you any heifers kept from Bruce for breeding?

No havent kept any JP .
    Any Bruce calves i had were out of BB cows and came a bit too strong for replacements .

No havent kept any JP .
    Any Bruce calves i had were out of BB cows and came a bit too strong for replacements .

What do you think of him? Would you use him again? Easy calved?

That ere calf is showin lovely shape at a week Kovu ;) .
    Be some calf come October...
    Big pull??????

He is honestly a week old! The mother was sectioned last year so we went for an easy calver. He's the youngest calf we have atm.
    Not a huge pull but we were surprised by the size of him, the mother was due 27th of Feb and carried him over 2 weeks. He looks more shapey than he is in the photo due to the flash but he is looking good.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,057 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

johnpawl wrote: »
    What do you think of him? Would you use him again? Easy calved?

To be honest i havent used him that much so cant give you a proper answer .
    Had 3 last year by him and all calved unassisted .
    All out of bb cows that werent fit for an easy blue straw .

Bull calf by him at 11 months last year made 1260 and weighed 575kg .
    Was the heaviest we had , but didnt make the most Eur/Kg .

The heifer in the pic this year has surprised me how well she has done and has a serious backend developed .
    I would use him again but i bought no Dovea straws this year, because i fell out with the rep and got all straws from PG .
    I dunno how he would cross on other breeds like Limo or Ch cows though .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭vanderbadger

sdc14177.jpg

sdc14182e.jpg

sdc14186t.jpg

Lovely looking calf

• Registered Users Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭just do it

An easy calving (haha) ERE calf that's just over a week old.
    Flash or no flash, he's a smashing looking calf;)
    Plus a very handy way of stopping the cow standing on the silage in the calving pen!
    sdc14186t.jpg

Looks like a good set-up. Can you use the gate for either pen with the gate swinging in acting as a shute against the wall?

just do it wrote: »
    Flash or no flash, he's a smashing looking calf;)
    Looks like a good set-up. Can you use the gate for either pen with the gate swinging in acting as a shute against the wall?

Yes but we haven't bothered with the lower pen, (the one with the gate that opens into the crush) We could leave the enter gate open there and use the first gate of the crush closed in against the wall on the opposite side but we haven't bothered to put in a hole for the bar....yet. We just use an old haynet for that one!

sdc14202.jpg

This is our ERE bucky this evening, with no flash!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭redzerologhlen

A big one this morning, she did well to calve him herself, he sucked of his own accord aswell after :D

photo_zps4fa4cd9b.jpg

photo_zps8dfd8d86.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭tismesoitis

One thing I noticed is that SFL, Sylvain Du Pont du....whatever has the Dwarfism gene and he was the sire of my dwarf calf a couple years ago.:pac:

Think your spot on there Karen we have had 2 SFL dwarfs in the last 2 years. Hate looking at them ant the feckers eat as much as any calf and almost don't grow:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭moy83

Think your spot on there Karen we have had 2 SFL dwarfs in the last 2 years. Hate looking at them ant the feckers eat as much as any calf and almost don't grow:mad:
    What do you end up doing with them , we have one here , Im sick looking at her she is seven months old now and id say she is around 200kg but eating like a horse all the same

I sold her on and got 500 for her at 200kg. She was 9 months or so at the time. Looking online now, she's slaughtered so I have no idea how she killed out.
    moy83 wrote: »
    What do you end up doing with them , we have one here , Im sick looking at her she is seven months old now and id say she is around 200kg but eating like a horse all the same
    Timesoitis what were yours off?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭moy83

I sold her on and got 500 for her at 200kg. She was 9 months or so at the time. Looking online now, she's slaughtered so I have no idea how she killed out.

Timesoitis what were yours off?

If I get 500 for this goat sometime in the summer after a bit of grass ill be delighted

moy83 wrote: »
    If I get 500 for this goat sometime in the summer after a bit of grass ill be delighted

There's no point keeping them, only eating more than giving back. Has yours odd joints? This was mine- http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056382181

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭AntrimGlens

Couple of first calvers and bull calves for the suckler ring tomorrow - first of this years drafts for sale. All pb and off our own stock bull, calves are feb born. Don't know what trade will be like but i had them entered and advertised and the auctioneer rang today to make sure i was bringing them as he had a man taking a day off work to come - at least one persons interested!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement