Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Livestock/General Farming photo thread ***READ MOD NOTE IN POST #1***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭mikeoh

Sligoronan wrote: »
    any idea what a man could do with this leg.
    gave him a shot of Vit e about a week after he was born but still not improveing. he running around the field no bother. just it looks a site.

calfleg2_zps390d482d.jpg

calfleg3_zps1445b92c.jpg

calfleg1_zps15e8fb6a.jpg
    I had one like him but worse my lads 2 front legs were bowed....he was walking like a crab , keep giving the vitesel regularly and plenty multivitamins my lad came right after a month or more and turned into the best calf I have, I think it a mixture of too much muscle on light bone and lack of vitamins .....best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 4,360 ✭✭✭stanflt

busy day

011xp.jpg
    006ivk.jpg

009yhw.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭ZETOR_IS_BETTER

Bodacious wrote: »
    The bit of drying on their backs for outwintered animals is mighty:)

Love the photo :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭redzerologhlen

Bodacious wrote: »
    D3358FE4_zps3309cc5a.jpg

The bit of drying on their backs for outwintered animals is mighty:)
    +1, stock are a lot happier looking the last few days and it was well due. Have 5 springers softening now and ten cows so hopefully it will hold up for another few weeks :)

stanflt wrote: »
    busy day

011xp.jpg
    006ivk.jpg

009yhw.jpg
    Sometimes I wonder if we are living in the same country stan.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭leg wax

stanflt what is the make up of that fert nutri booster?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,360 ✭✭✭stanflt

leg wax wrote: »
    stanflt what is the make up of that fert nutri booster?

25n with selenium cobalt and sulphar- supposed to help cow fertility:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,057 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

First pic is a HCA heifer out of a REQ first calver
    Pics 2 and 3 are a ADX bull out of an SRI cow
    Pics 4 and 5 are an IRX bull out of an HExAA cow. nice calf but not too happy about the front leg

IMG_0629.JPG
    IMG_0634.jpg
    IMG_0635.jpg
    IMG_0627.JPG
    IMG_0631.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭limo_100

First pic is a HCA heifer out of a REQ first calver
    Pics 2 and 3 are a ADX bull out of an SRI cow
    Pics 4 and 5 are an IRX bull out of an HExAA cow. nice calf but not too happy about the front leg

IMG_0629.JPG
    IMG_0634.jpg
    IMG_0635.jpg
    IMG_0627.JPG
    IMG_0631.JPG

have a similar hca calf watch him grow they come up very quick. That ADX calf is a smasher out was he big born?? i had one last week small calf id say he'll grow time will tell. Id love to see a picture of the cow hes off is she a big blue cow??

Keeping the outwintered hereford theme going here bodacious :D They are all very content the last few days and starting to soften now. No feeding what so ever got yet and holding up well.

photo_zps7d97b090.jpg

photo_zpse5d7abf5.jpg

photo_zps9cf9a857.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭awaywithyou

stanflt wrote: »
    busy day

011xp.jpg
    006ivk.jpg

009yhw.jpg

middle picture....

whats the story with the screen to the right of the steering wheel... GPS..???

• Registered Users Posts: 3,081 ✭✭✭td5man

middle picture....

whats the story with the screen to the right of the steering wheel... GPS..???
    Its sat nav so he doesnt get lost in all that grass!!!

limo_100 wrote: »
    have a similar hca calf watch him grow they come up very quick. That ADX calf is a smasher out was he big born?? i had one last week small calf id say he'll grow time will tell. Id love to see a picture of the cow hes off is she a big blue cow??

he was big enough. he was born on Sunday morning 15 days overdue. she got as far as the hips herself and had to give a wee pull to help but nothing serrious. she's a cracker of a cow. loads of milk, 360 day calving interval and a wee pet. very fond of her

here is a picture of her back in May she had gone a bit stale at that stage

IMG_0482.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭mf240

Nice grass stan.

Redzer had the cows out before ya.:D

A friend posted this on facebook. I thought it was a beautiful juxtaposition :D

538252_10152601945830078_1835202694_n.jpg

he was big enough. he was born on Sunday morning 15 days overdue. she got as far as the hips herself and had to give a wee pull to help but nothing serrious. she's a cracker of a cow. loads of milk, 360 day calving interval and a wee pet. very fond of her

IMG_0482.jpg
    is she a british freisen x blue?? do you have many cows like that?

She is. SRI out of ah half BF half HO cow. The herd is made of cows like her or their daughters. when we were milking we always finished the beef calves and any bbx heifers we had we bulled.
    Cant fault them, the only thing is you have to be sensible with your bull choice but having bucket reared animals as suckler dams gives a lot of comfort as regards temprement

She is. SRI out of ah half BF half HO cow. The herd is made of cows like her or their daughters. when we were milking we always finished the beef calves and any bbx heifers we had we bulled.
    Cant fault them, the only thing is you have to be sensible with your bull choice but having bucket reared animals as suckler dams gives a lot of comfort as regards temprement

is adx about the hardest bull ud put on them?? im thinking of getting a few of them there nice stock and good milkers. there good broad long cows the only think is there not overly tall but i suppose thats why you use limousin bull

limo_100 wrote: »
    is adx about the hardest bull ud put on them?? im thinking of getting a few of them there nice stock and good milkers. there good broad long cows the only think is there not overly tall but i suppose thats why you use limousin bull

Yeah he would be as hard as I'd go. used a lot of fl22 on them with good results. I dont buy into the whole thing of needing a big lump of a calf to end up with a good weanling/finished animal. Have them small coming out and they'll grow.
    also I'm working off farm and dont really want the old lad going pulling at them.
    Temped to try a parthenaise on one but wary of putting muscle on muscle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Richk2012

IMG_0482.jpg

Shes a cracker of a cow Bogman . From the pic , she seems to hold her condition well too , which isnt always the case with HOxBB

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭just do it

Glad to post this photo. She's a second calver with a DZP heifer calf at foot. She wouldn't let her calf suck last year and after 12 days I fostered it onto another cow. I was going to cull her until someone posted on here about a cow that didn't take to a calf that had gotten covered in s**t from having calved down on the slats. That's what happened her last year so I decided to give her a second chance.

So glad to see this one sucking :D

20130221004545.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

just do it wrote: »
    .... I was going to cull her until someone posted on here about a cow that didn't take to a calf that had gotten covered in s**t from having calved down on the slats...
    I saw a cow reject her calve after I tagged it using some iodine on the tag tip. She was grand after an hour or so, but shows really how much they go on smell above eevrything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,343 ✭✭✭bob charles

Today was a day for taking it easy

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

arragh bob your an oul softie behind it all!! :D

Muckit wrote: »
    arragh bob your an oul softie behind it all!! :D
    They're probably for sale.

td5man wrote: »
    They're probably for sale.

doing my best to find good working homes for them as they are very well bred. Think I have them sorted now. I would much prefer to see one of them become as good as their dad than make a quick buck selling them. On saying that 7 pups have over a quarter ton of dog nuts and hundreds of cans of feed eat. Gave €25 a piece for vaccinations last week. Little feckers cost about €100 to get this far:D

Meanwhile back in the real world it was pedal to the metal all weekend. My dairy herd in the foreground:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭grazeaway

Meanwhile back in the real world it was pedal to the metal all weekend. My dairy herd in the foreground:D

as yes the tyregod, fantastic way of feeding stones. a few lads round here got them back in the late 80's "cos dem armers are way too small, like!", got feed up the amount of stones going to mallow so ditched them for the armers again, then when back the tyregods when they started to grow beet again for fodder and the leaves were shagged on the beet. know of a few tillage lads that now run both harvesters. an armer for pulling in the authunm and a tyregod for digging in the spring or after the frost has killed off the leaves.

have you a lad cleaning and chopping them or are you feeding it as is?

grazeaway wrote: »
    have you a lad cleaning and chopping them or are you feeding it as is?

I have a fool of a lad to do the washing and chopping. Leaves were very poor on this variety of sugar beet, will be able to pick with armer in a few weeks time but need beet now and fields cleared, have more I will pull with armer in a months time. Oh and the fool of a lad is the one typing on here :(

• Advertisement

doing my best to find good working homes for them as they are very well bred. Think I have them sorted now. I would much prefer to see one of them become as good as their dad than make a quick buck selling them. On saying that 7 pups have over a quarter ton of dog nuts and hundreds of cans of feed eat. Gave €25 a piece for vaccinations last week. Little feckers cost about €100 to get this far:D
    Bought a bull from a lad that was also breeding terriers. He said he was making more with the terriers, forget what the price was but a couple of pups were the same price as the bull

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement