Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Livestock/General Farming photo thread ***READ MOD NOTE IN POST #1***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭dar31

pakalasa wrote: »
    DAR31,
    How do you find the slurry lagoon? If say, kids were to throw a rock or something in over the fence, would it burst the liner? Do you pump to it, or do you have a slurry channel? Or is just for soiled water?

ya it fairly good, cheap slurry storage.
    gathers a lot of water, but not really a problem as it is all piped out with umbilical.

the slurry is gravity feed into the lagoon, there is a slatted cubicle shed with 150k gls storage up above the lagoon, and a 8'' valve can be opened to let the slurry down as needed.

this year is the fullest it has been, with all the rain over the summer the slurry just became to watery to be worth spreading

bar chaps start throwing javelins at it a few small rocks would nt harm it, and if they did, just get a bigger stick;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

404495_10151698739113835_259955857_n.jpg

Got a delivery of hay this morning :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,343 ✭✭✭bob charles

reilig wrote: »

had he any problems swinging in your gate, I told him to make sure he took the bypass

had he any problems swinging in your gate, I told him to make sure he took the bypass

We unloaded him on the road :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭grazeaway

had a great photo op lined up on saturday, have 6 cows and their calves in a straw bedded lean to, had a look over the wall to see how they were. the 6 cows were all lying down in a row at the same angle with each of thier calves snozzing in front of them. And just as i was getting up on the wall and taking the phone out to take a pic two of them get up and turn their arse to me. Feckin typical

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,367 ✭✭✭MfMan

We unloaded him on the road :D

A wonder he didn't sink in the field coming out...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭redzerologhlen

Ye get all the fine weather in Leitrim :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,081 ✭✭✭td5man

MfMan wrote: »

A wonder he didn't sink in the field coming out...
    Sink in the field! He'd sink in the road round here at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,081 ✭✭✭td5man

DAR31,
    How do you find the slurry lagoon? If say, kids were to throw a rock or something in over the fence, would it burst the liner? Do you pump to it, or do you have a slurry channel? Or is just for soiled water?
    Dar 31
    Who did you get to line the lagoon?
    Was there much hassle getting planning permission?

• Registered Users Posts: 29 larrywithalorry

caseman wrote: »
    Do it again.

challenge accepted

[IMG][/img]sc20130211081730w.png

maybe i should have stayed out of the kale ground and put on the 4 wheel drive

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭just do it

Greetings from Austria :D

The view from our bedroom. It's snowing heavily but I don't think it comes out in the photo. Can you see the car buried under the snow?

20130212103141.jpg

just do it wrote: »
    Greetings from Austria :D

The view from our bedroom. It's snowing heavily but I don't think it comes out in the photo. Can you see the car buried under the snow?

20130212103141.jpg
    Well for some jd, enjoy yerselves :D

Well for some jd, enjoy yerselves :D
    Well am glad to report we're having a great time. It's our 40th present to each other and it's one of those trips where everything is just going spot on. Dry yesterday, snow today and kids getting on well at skiing. We were sledging down the nursery slope this evening: great craic and a good workout :D

20130212224218.jpg
    Calved at 8pm. Thanks be to God for good neighbours. 2nd calver 10days over her time calved unassisted to CH DZP. By the looks of it there is no need to train him/her to suck :D

Fist calf of 2013, she was calved and he was sucking when I came on her, may the rest of them go as smoothly :D

photo_zpse37a5e46.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭dar31

was out moving the wire in the kale this morning, and was constantly being fouled by stones when putting stakes down, one of the took 20 attempts, got me to wonderin dose any one else suffer from stoney ground.

then redzer comes along....

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭Sligoronan

any idea what a man could do with this leg.
    gave him a shot of Vit e about a week after he was born but still not improveing. he running around the field no bother. just it looks a site.

calfleg2_zps390d482d.jpg

calfleg3_zps1445b92c.jpg

calfleg1_zps15e8fb6a.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

seems to be up in his shoulder could be an injury, if the vet is out get them to have a look, what does vitamin e do?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,316 ✭✭✭naughto

id say you will have a job selling him with his leg like that.might be best for the factory or the freezer

Vet reckoned it can be common enough in calfs with mussel. He thought he would grow out of it but dont see it happening. Have him comeing out again on sat morning.

• Advertisement

Sligoronan wrote: »
    Vet reckoned it can be common enough in calfs with mussel. He thought he would grow out of it but dont see it happening. Have him comeing out again on sat morning.

Had one a while ago with a similar looking problem and it was a trapped nerve. It was muscley limousin bull calf off a limousin heifer. He's in the freezer - fed him organically and hung him for 21 days. Lovely steaks and fabulous mince and burgers. No horse in there!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Juniorhurler

That's a pity sligoronan, he looks a fine beast. Hopefully your vet is right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Bodacious

Sligoronan wrote: »

Was he calved naturally or pulled?!

Was he calved naturally or pulled?
    Calved naturally off a lim cow. She a nice heifer shame she might be gatting the freezer at a young age.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Mac Taylor

Finished thank f**k, one day before the deadline and all :D

photo-926.jpg
    Redzer,
    Was that your place pictured in this weeks journal. Great to seen the Burren being cleaned up and cattle grazing rather than letting the place get overgrown

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

Fist calf of 2013, she was calved and he was sucking when I came on her, may the rest of them go as smoothly :D

photo_zpse37a5e46.jpg

Redzer,
    Bord Bia could use this one.

Mac Taylor wrote: »
    Redzer,
    Was that your place pictured in this weeks journal. Great to seen the Burren being cleaned up and cattle grazing rather than letting the place get overgrown
    There was nobody from the journal out here anyway mac, saying that I dont know for sure because I didnt buy the journal last week and I know one of them thats over the scheme took a picture of all the work i did and the cattle in the winterage because a neighbour was herding at the time. Its a great scheme alright and you can choose the work you want to do be it stone wall maintenance, scrub removal, water provision or access paths. Theres a nice cheque due out of it one of these days too to make it better :D
    Redzer,
    Bord Bia could use this one.

They could use a lot more than that at the moment i think after the feck up that has been made with the horsemeat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭vanderbadger

• Registered Users Posts: 7,316 ✭✭✭naughto

hes trying to hard lately was lot better yrs ago

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Bodacious

D3358FE4_zps3309cc5a.jpg

The bit of drying on their backs for outwintered animals is mighty:)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement