Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Livestock/General Farming photo thread ***READ MOD NOTE IN POST #1***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭just do it

I've two calves that were AI'd 3rd days apart that look the opposite of the record I have for them.

Pic 1. This is supposed to be a CH by DZP. It could be a mix up with the SIM bull APZ.
    20130208120231.jpg

Pic 2. Same calf with his mother. 20130208113018.jpg

Pic 3. These 3 calves are supposed to be by the SIM bull APZ. It's the one at the back that I think is probably a CH by DZP.
    20130208113224.jpg

Pic 4. He's supposed to be SIM but he looks like a CH to me. His mother is 44% SIM according to ICBF. 20130208122847.jpg

What'd you think? I'm waiting on the AI man to come back to me so I'm just throwing this out there in the meantime.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

^^^^^^^^^^^^^ I can see the logic of the way you're thinking but with Sim in the cows it's concievable that a Ch calf could come even more Sim like or in the same breath, a solid colour like the bull. Your records could easily be spot on!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭dar31

emptying the main tank
    240166.jpg

240167.jpg

cows first day out

240168.jpg

red kites moving in once the slurry started

240169.jpg

pen of calves tucking in to breakfast

240170.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭furandfeather

@ just do it
    I'd say you would be thinking right. If the mother is 44% sim and you gave her APZ then you d be talkin nearly a 3/4 bred calf. Couldn't see a 3/4 sim not havin a white head, but you'd never know genetics can be funny!
    Fine lookin calves what ever they are out off.
    How you finding APZ? Have 2 heifers out of him myself and I'm delighted with them, best xbred Simms I've ever bred

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Bodacious

towzer2010 wrote: »

Lovely Calf Bodacious. Would you not put OZS on her again?

A heifer like that would be one for keeping. OZS figures are pretty good for maternal. Wide at the hip and good milk for a lm.

Yep I'd give her OZS again if he has him, I ordered only 5 straws for myself last year as he doesn't usually carry him

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

dar31 wrote: »
    emptying the main tank
    240166.jpg

DAR31,
    How do you find the slurry lagoon? If say, kids were to throw a rock or something in over the fence, would it burst the liner? Do you pump to it, or do you have a slurry channel? Or is just for soiled water?

• Registered Users Posts: 923 ✭✭✭RobinBanks

I was going to throw these rims away but I found a use for them! I wanted to put the electric fence up in front of the slated shed to keep the calves off the silage when i start to put them into the fields. The idea would be to drop a stake into the plastic core. Its the perfect diameter for the job. I can screw the plastic insulator into the stake to carry the electric fence. Handy for this type of job so if ye have some spare concrete after a job give it a go!

100312001.jpg

I left the door of the shed open this morn and this calf got out so I took the opportunity to take a pic. For whatever reason I am unable to get a good quality pic inside must be the lighting or the phone.

She is by Malibu off a Maine Anjou first calver, born around the middle of Dec. I was delighted she had a heifer but A.I man reckons she will be to muscly to keep for a cow which would be a shame. My best cow is off Malibu.

100312002.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

@Robinbanks
    Are the malibu straws your own. They are well gone down our way, a few years now. Great bull alright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭johnpawl

RobinBanks wrote: »
    I left the door of the shed open this morn and this calf got out so I took the opportunity to take a pic. For whatever reason I am unable to get a good quality pic inside must be the lighting or the phone.

She is by Malibu off a Maine Anjou first calver, born around the middle of Dec. I was delighted she had a heifer but A.I man reckons she will be to muscly to keep for a cow which would be a shame. My best cow is off Malibu.

100312002.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
    Fine calf, what do you think of the Maine Anjou? Did you breed her yourself? have a notion of getting one, have heard good things about them. I see some bulls on donedeal, they look a fine animal. http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/beefcattle/4228880

• Advertisement

pakalasa wrote: »
    @Robinbanks
    Are the malibu straws your own. They are well gone down our way, a few years now. Great bull alright.

They were the A.I mans straws Pak. He doesnt have any left unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭porter shark

what is the maine anjou cow bred from? have you many of them and how do you find them as breeders?

johnpawl wrote: »
    Fine calf, what do you think of the Maine Anjou? Did you breed her yourself?

I have 2 maine anjous. I bought both as weanlings. Neither have much milk but the mother of this calf is making a good job of her. The other had a RHF bull and he is poor, probably because she hasnt enough milk even though I am giving them dairy nuts.

A mate has/had 4 or 5 of them but he doesnt rate them at all. He said all of them rared very poor calves last year. He crossed them with a sim bull.

So to answer your question I am not convinced about them but its early days yet I suppose and it is their first calf.

RobinBanks wrote: »
    I have 2 maine anjous. I bought both as weanlings. Neither have much milk but the mother of this calf is making a good job of her. The other had a RHF bull and he is poor, probably because she hasnt enough milk even though I am giving them dairy nuts.

A mate has/had 4 or 5 of them but he doesnt rate them at all. He said all of them rared very poor calves last year. He crossed them with a sim bull.

So to answer your question I am not convinced about them but its early days yet I suppose and it is their first calf.

Well whatever else about them, she gave you a fine looking calf there. Was thinking of putting arbitre on a couple of big aaxfr cows hoping for heifers, but I'll prob hold off until I know more about them. With the grandmother being friesanyou'd imagine they'd be ok for milk. Maybe Simmental isn't the cross for them?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,057 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

Fine calf, what do you think of the Maine Anjou? Did you breed her yourself? have a notion of getting one, have heard good things about them. I see some bulls on donedeal, they look a fine animal. http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/beefcattle/4228880

well those pics werent taken in Ireland, thats for sure!

Cows hopefully next week :D Not:p

680EEBDC_zps0185dd11.jpg

April/may calves Keeping these except the Parthenaise on the end, she going over to Legwax!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭limo_100

Just bought a heifer calf 2day in d Mart she's a bb out of British freisen dam should be a nice hopefully

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭royaler83

limo_100 wrote: »
    Just bought a heifer calf 2day in d Mart she's a bb out of British freisen dam should be a nice hopefully

What kinda money did ya pay limo?!

royaler83 wrote: »

What kinda money did ya pay limo?!
    I paid 430 it was a good bit so it was but I liked her and I keep at her till I got her. She's just over 2weeks old and sucked the aswel straight away. She's very manly so she is I'd say she'll win d cow over by d end of d week

limo_100 wrote: »
    I paid 430 it was a good bit so it was but I liked her and I keep at her till I got her. She's just over 2weeks old and sucked the aswel straight away. She's very manly so she is I'd say she'll win d cow over by d end of d week

Hi limo,

Nice calf, nice markings,

good luck with that and i hope she takes for you, mine never took for me last year.. id skin the calf for sure if there is a next time, an hours work could save alot of hassle

• Advertisement

Bodacious wrote: »
    Hi limo,

Nice calf, nice markings,

good luck with that and i hope she takes for you, mine never took for me last year.. id skin the calf for sure if there is a next time, an hours work could save alot of hassle

ours usually always take with them luckily enough i suppose. iv never skined a calf yet and i hope i never av 2.... i cant skin this one any way cause the cow slipped the calf i never like to touch them to much

well those pics werent taken in Ireland, thats for sure!

Ha ya on reflection I see you're sharper than I am...:)

• Registered Users Posts: 29 larrywithalorry

I left a few of the lighter maiden heifer out on Friday. I drove through 2 fields with the jeep and trailer and this is the tracks from it.:D:D
    [IMG][/img]201302091038121.jpg

This is my first suckler calf to be born
    [IMG][/img]20130209150645.jpg

Left a few ewes and lambs out yesterday
    [IMG][/img]20130210084526.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,343 ✭✭✭bob charles

I drove through 2 fields with the jeep and trailer and this is the tracks from it.:D:D

No sign of a return track:D, still though you wouldnt swing in the gate about here, serious rain last night and again lunchtime today

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭The Real Elmer Fudd

I left a few of the lighter maiden heifer out on Friday. I drove through 2 fields with the jeep and trailer and this is the tracks from it.:D:D

This is my first suckler calf to be born
    [IMG][/img]20130209150645.jpg

Left a few ewes and lambs out yesterday
    [IMG][/img]20130210084526.jpg

That land looks like paradise compared to anything around here at the min. Just went for a walk across the farm and if I went in wit a jeep and trailer at the min I'd be leaving them there.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 larrywithalorry

No sign of a return track:D, still though you wouldnt swing in the gate about here, serious rain last night and again lunchtime today

You can't make out the return track because it was empty so it didn't mark the ground.:-P
    We had very little rain here this week so I'll do it again if you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭kboc

i don't think that is irish landscape either, that breed on animal are popular in mid europe, switerland or the like, which might just match those pics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 453 ✭✭caseman

You can't make out the return track because it was empty so it didn't mark the ground.:-P

Do it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭just do it

No need to rub it in for those of us that aren't blessed with land like that ;)

• Advertisement

If you were to walk across our land now, I'd say you leave tracks too.:rolleyes:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement