Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Back to Basics...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

shazkea wrote: »
    I figured out what my problem is...I need to move to a warm climate :D. Loving running and biking in this weather. Mojo found so now I just have to follow the sunshine around...this marathon training could be costly :rolleyes:

Downside Achilles tightness has brought back my shinsplints problem...off to get em battered this eve!

Ah don't leave us Shaz. Sniff sniff. Enjoy the torture this evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Nules10

Hope you enjoy the tool torture i told him that you would prefer if he spent 20 mins using it :D Good to see you found your mojo now don't lose it again :mad: be careful with it this time ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Nules10 wrote: »
    Hope you enjoy the tool torture i told him that you would prefer if he spent 20 mins using it :D Good to see you found your mojo now don't lose it again :mad: be careful with it this time ;)

The imagination could run away with this statement;)

Delighted you've got your MOJO Back Shaz:D!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭shazkea

Now on official orders...no running for me for 6+ weeks with a suspected stress fracture on shin (tbc with MRI as soon as I can get appointment). Second time with a marathon; do you think the running gods are trying to tell me something (prob stop eating choc :rolleyes:).
    Bye bye Cork half and Berlin :(...long drinking session in Cork here I come tho (always a bright side!)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

Now on official orders...no running for me for 6+ weeks with a suspected stress fracture on shin (tbc with MRI as soon as I can get appointment). Second time with a marathon; do you think the running gods are trying to tell me something (prob stop eating choc :rolleyes:).
    Bye bye Cork half and Berlin :(...long drinking session in Cork here I come tho (always a bright side!)

Ah Shaz, that sucks. How much had the mileage grown?

• Advertisement

Mr Slow wrote: »
    Ah Shaz, that sucks. How much had the mileage grown?

It hadn't, that's the sucker punch. This month had been my lowest mileage in 8 months. Suspected culprit is my wonky foot and altering my gait when I am running slowly (i.e. plodding those easy miles) :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

Ah no Shaz, not again. You must be fed up. I'm really sorry to hear that :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

It hadn't, that's the sucker punch. This month had been my lowest mileage in 8 months. Suspected culprit is my wonky foot and altering my gait when I am running slowly (i.e. plodding those easy miles) :rolleyes:

Sh1te, sorry to hear that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Ah Shaz, thats terrible, here's hoping they are erring on the side of caution and MRI will show thats not what it is!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭DigiJem

Bloody hell, you really are having bad luck with injuries. Fingers crossed the MRI is clear.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭racheljev

Ah no way Shaz, that's awful :( Speaking from experience, my tibial stress fracture kept me from running for just over 2 months - middle of August to end of October 2010 . And then I came back very slowly. I did a lot of crosstraining during that time - swimming, bike, crosstrainer in gym. It helped me to basically not go mad! I also did a bit of Pilates to help strengthen the core. I was able to do Barcelona in Mar 2011. It took a while, slowly slowly was the best way back. Hopefully the MRI will confirm it's not a stress fracture, but if it does, try not to panic too much - you will get back, honest. (And you're younger than me as well so your bones will heal quicker than mine did :))

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Marthastew

Oh no Shaz, what a nightmare!
    Rotten, rotten luck, hopefully the rest will cure it for once and for all and you will be back better than ever

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭run44

Yikes, sorry to hear that Shaz...:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

BOO - Sorry to hear that shaz.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Wow, that sucks if you have to be off your running feet for that long...but, I agree with Rachel - cross train! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭runrabbit

Aw Shaz I'm really sorry to hear that. I'm 7 weeks down the line now (metatarsal stress fractures) and hoping to do my first walk next week. If you keep up the cross training you won't lose much fitness - I'd say I'll keel over on my first walk!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Ahhh, sorry to hear that :mad:. I feel partly responsible for telling you to run slower :o
    See you down in cork for drinks anyway.

Thanks for the support messages guys. Crap happens and it could be worse. Already have my eye on 2 cycling sportifs to keep me busy :-)
    racheljev wrote: »
    Ah no way Shaz, that's awful :( Speaking from experience, my tibial stress fracture kept me from running for just over 2 months - middle of August to end of October 2010 . And then I came back very slowly. I did a lot of crosstraining during that time - swimming, bike, crosstrainer in gym. It helped me to basically not go mad! I also did a bit of Pilates to help strengthen the core. I was able to do Barcelona in Mar 2011. It took a while, slowly slowly was the best way back. Hopefully the MRI will confirm it's not a stress fracture, but if it does, try not to panic too much - you will get back, honest. (And you're younger than me as well so your bones will heal quicker than mine did :))

runrabbit wrote: »
    Aw Shaz I'm really sorry to hear that. I'm 7 weeks down the line now (metatarsal stress fractures) and hoping to do my first walk next week. If you keep up the cross training you won't lose much fitness - I'd say I'll keel over on my first walk!

These posts scared me :D. I've 6 weeks max in my mind to be out. Guess I'll become the cross training queen for the next while. It will start after my hols in Italy...no need to bring the runners now so more room in the bag :)
    M, I didn't realise you were out so long already. Hopefully all goes to plan next week.
    Rachel, ta for the advice.

menoscemo wrote: »
    Ahhh, sorry to hear that :mad:. I feel partly responsible for telling you to run slower :o
    See you down in cork for drinks anyway.
    Don't be daft Meno, no-one to blame here. Lesson learnt for me not to plod and stick to a pace which feels natural.

Sympathy drinks are very welcome though :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭red face dave

Sorry to hear that Shazkea. You will be back and ready to hit the roads again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭runrabbit

These posts scared me :D. I've 6 weeks max in my mind to be out. Guess I'll become the cross training queen for the next while. It will start after my hols in Italy...no need to bring the runners now so more room in the bag :)
    I'm heading to Italy myself at the weekend for 10 days of drinking wine and eating... everything :D I will have to get off my lazy behind once I get back from holidays, and try to get myself back in action.
    M, I didn't realise you were out so long already. Hopefully all goes to plan next week.
    Yes it was 7 weeks ago today - ouch! I was limping around on it for a few weeks while I waited for the MRI referral... and then the scan... and then the results. Then I spent a few weeks on crutches which are happily gone today. My foot still doesn't feel right, and I am terrified of ever trying to run again. The fractures are right at the metatarsal head joints though so it was difficult to rest it properly - which probably delayed healing. Hopefully yours should heal up a treat

• Registered Users Posts: 1,902 ✭✭✭Emer911

Gees Shaz hard luck with the injury. Hope you don't go too mad during the recovery :D I'd be recommending cross training too, but sounds like you've got that covered already :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭chinguetti

Shaz, thats rotten luck. Mind how you go and best of luck on the road to recovery. At least you have the bike to keep you out and about:D

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭madon

Oh no- sorry to hear this.
    If you are biking and running already why not try swimming now? You could come back off your injury a triathlete!

I'm heading to Italy myself at the weekend for 10 days of drinking wine and eating... everything :D I will have to get off my lazy behind once I get back from holidays, and try to get myself back in action.

Nice, what part are you heading to? Oh plenty of Italian food, wine and ice-cream coming my way. Will need to do something when I come back to work it all off :rolleyes:

Yes it was 7 weeks ago today - ouch! I was limping around on it for a few weeks while I waited for the MRI referral... and then the scan... and then the results. Then I spent a few weeks on crutches which are happily gone today. My foot still doesn't feel right, and I am terrified of ever trying to run again. The fractures are right at the metatarsal head joints though so it was difficult to rest it properly - which probably delayed healing. Hopefully yours should heal up a treat

Jeez you have been in the horrors then. You obviously haven't been able to do any cross-training then. I hear about returning to running but I ain't giving up on it just maybe marathons!

madon wrote: »
    Oh no- sorry to hear this.
    If you are biking and running already why not try swimming now? You could come back off your injury a triathlete!

The thought has crossed my mind thanks to another boardsie...you know who you are ;). Problem is that my swimming is absolutely cat - is there such a thing as a couch to 1km for swimmers :o

Right so MRI booked for Tuesday so hopefully that will tell me exactly what's going on. In the meantime I have come up with a Plan A and Plan B...I don't work well without a plan in place :rolleyes:

Plan A - MRI clear and maybe just a stress reaction, good to run after a week or 2 rest
    • Re-start training for Berlin and worry about just finishing the race (no time pressure)
    Plan B - no running for 6+ weeks
    • An Post Meath Cycle July - 50km or 100km tbd
    • Sean Kelly Tour Aug - 100km
    • Tri an Mhi Sprint Sept :eek: - finish and try not to drown!!
    If MRI is clear I'll prob do cycles anyway and postpone tri till next year. Fingers crossed for Plan A purely so I don't have to worry about swimming in Open Water :eek:. That scares the hell out of me!

Thur May 31st

Cycle

Bearing in mind the plan above I took to the roads on the bike this eve. I haven't a bogs about tri and had to check what a sprint tri distance is today :o (750m swim, 20km bike, 5km run).
    So I decided on a bike trial this eve for the tri bike distance. After a 5km warm-up I ramped up for the 20km. I was hoping to get 20km done in under 40 mins but came in at 41:15 :mad:. Annoyed with that but I suppose since it was on the mountain bike, I could shave some time off on the road bike. 5km spin home to cool down.
    More importantly I wanted to test shin out - slightly achey but I can still continue on the bike if worse comes to worse so thats good. Time to dust off the road bike for the summer I think!

Cycle Distance: 30km

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Nules10

You were busy at work today ;)
    Have you thought of joining a cycling club..??? I know Some People :D

• Advertisement

Nules10 wrote: »
    You were busy at work today ;)
    Have you thought of joining a cycling club..??? I know Some People :D

Its amazing what you can accomplish during conference calls - love that mute button :D
    A cycling club, will I never - who do you know :p. I thought you'd be at me to join the tri club ;)

Advertisement