Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Back to Basics...

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭shazkea

claralara wrote: »
    The way it does on a Friday morning when all you want to is read Boards and post on logs… ;)
    :D very true and I keep getting called in for short meetings. No consideration really :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Safe travels to you, and enjoy your time in the States! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

shazkea wrote: »
    The Sunshine State :D

:eek::eek:Do you still want to do that swap???;);)

Younganne wrote: »
    :eek::eek:Do you still want to do that swap???;);)

Not this week but ta for the offer. Next trip for sure - heard it was 49 degrees there today...I'll melt so you can take that one :D

Thanks but too late.....i only make an offer like that once;)

• Advertisement

Mon May 7th

W1-D1: 3 miles easy

A beautiful evening here in Miami with temp at 29 degrees and a slight breeze. A great way to kick off my marathon training...only this time I hope I don't fall flat on my face or pick up a stress fracture a few weeks from race day. Great advice from the wise sages to slow everything down in training so that's the intent :)

So here we go on this marathon merry-go-round again :rolleyes:

Distance: 3.02
    Time: 31:00
    Avg Pace: 10:16

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭sunflowerRo

Best a luck with it Shaz. Are you following a plan for it? Shame you had to endure Miami for your first run. Some have it tough eh :)

Best a luck with it Shaz. Are you following a plan for it? Shame you had to endure Miami for your first run. Some have it tough eh :)

I'm following Hal's novice 2 plan with an extra couple of weeks either for contingency or an extra 20 mile lsr.

Would you believe me if I said this eve was tough :D:D.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

Good luck with the plan Shaz and enjoy the warm weather training.

Good thinking Shaz putting a two week cushion into the plan. Well the best of luck with it and getting my iPad home safely :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭RubyK

Best of luck with the plan Shaz! What marathon are you targeting? Enjoy all that sunshine :)

Tues May 7th

W1 D2 - 5 miles MP

Up early to get this session in before work - thank god for jet lag :D. I haven't figured out what my PMP is yet so this was a little guess work.
    Tougher than it should have been but am putting that down to being dehydrated and not being a morning runner!
    Glute seems to be holding up ok but routes have been flat.

Distance: 5:01
    Time: 48:39
    Avg Pace: 09:43

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Nules10

Holy moly that is early :eek: even wit jet lag :D more importantly have you gone shopping yet :D

Wed May 9th

W1D3 - 3 Miles easy

Run was as it says on the tin, easy...nothing else to be said about it!

Distance: 3.01
    Time: 30:18
    Avg Pace: 10:04

Sun May 13th

W1D4: 8 LSR

Back to siberian Dublin for this run :(. Thanks to Nules and jcsmum for dragging me around this. I was knackered and really struggling so prob would have stopped if I was on my own.
    Got to try out my new garmin too and now have a new man to beat on runs. I need to name him as virtual partner just doesn't work so suggestions welcome. Typical woman though, I only know him one day and already I want to change him :p...time to RTFM pm Krusty

Distance: 8.04
    Time: 1:23:46
    Avg Pace: 10:25 (is that slow enough Anne :))

Sun May 13th

W1D4: 8 LSR

Back to siberian Dublin for this run :(. Thanks to Nules and jcsmum for dragging me around this. I was knackered and really struggling so prob would have stopped if I was on my own.
    Got to try out my new garmin too and now have a new man to beat on runs. I need to name him as virtual partner just doesn't work so suggestions welcome. Typical woman though, I only know him one day and already I want to change him :p...time to RTFM pm Krusty

Distance: 8.04
    Time: 1:23:46
    Avg Pace: 10:25 (is that slow enough Anne :))
    Fair play to you shaz you did great ;) ahh no seriously it was a tough one alright but you were well able for it even with the jet lag :) and you had to drag that fella around with you all the way :D

Nules10 wrote: »
    Fair play to you shaz you did great ;) ahh no seriously it was a tough one alright but you were well able for it even with the jet lag :) and you had to drag that fella around with you all the way :D

Thanks for those lovely words of encouragement :D...

You replaced me with a new fella? Not impressed.

You replaced me with a new fella? Not impressed.
    Don't worry about it ro he kept running away from her :D:D

Mon May 14th

Cross Train

A spot of cross training on the agenda so took the opportunity to try and figure out heart rates now I have a HRM. 5 x 4 mins all out on a few different equipment pieces in gym. Pretty much levelled off at the same rate towards end of each session. I have to say my legs (and lungs) were shaking after session :o

Rest: 64
    Max: 189

Now I need to go figure out what that means and what the various zones are for training :rolleyes:. Time to search for the heart rate threads I've always ignored!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

I need to name him as virtual partner just doesn't work so suggestions welcome

Big Dig ;):D

digger2d2 wrote: »
    Big Dig ;):D

Emmmm no, NEXT

Did your new man follow you around the gym :D

Rest: 64
    Max: 189

Now I need to go figure out what that means and what the various zones are for training :rolleyes:. Time to search for the heart rate threads I've always ignored!

This is a guide i keep buried in the back of my head, but very seldom check!!!:o

Maximum Heart Rate |
    50%-60% of max hr (warm up/ normal walking zone)|
    60%-70% of max hr (Fat burning zone) |
    70%-80% of max hr (Endurance zone) |
    80%-90% of max hr (Performance/aerobic zone) |
    90%-100% of max hr (Pushing too hard)

so if you use 195 as an approx Max HR you'll get the following

Maximum Heart Rate |195 |
    50%-60% of max hr (warm up/ normal walking zone)|97.5 - 117 |
    60%-70% of max hr (Fat burning zone)|117 - 136.5|
    70%-80% of max hr (Endurance zone)|136.5 - 156 |
    80%-90% of max hr (Performance/aerobic zone)|156 - 175.5|
    90%-100% of max hr (Pushing too hard)| 175.5 - 195|:D

Nules10 wrote: »
    Did your new man follow you around the gym :D

Nah I gave him the night off, he has a busy week ahead :)

Younganne wrote: »
    This is a guide i keep buried in the back of my head, but very seldom check!!!:o

Maximum Heart Rate |
    50%-60% of max hr (warm up/ normal walking zone)|
    60%-70% of max hr (Fat burning zone) |
    70%-80% of max hr (Endurance zone) |
    80%-90% of max hr (Performance/aerobic zone) |
    90%-100% of max hr (Pushing too hard)

so if you use 195 as an approx Max HR you'll get the following

Maximum Heart Rate |195 |
    50%-60% of max hr (warm up/ normal walking zone)|97.5 - 117 |
    60%-70% of max hr (Fat burning zone)|117 - 136.5|
    70%-80% of max hr (Endurance zone)|136.5 - 156 |
    80%-90% of max hr (Performance/aerobic zone)|156 - 175.5|
    90%-100% of max hr (Pushing too hard)| 175.5 - 195|:D

Cheers for that Anne, I appreciate it. Do you run off your HR?

I found this link on one of the threads last night and plugged in a few figures and voila Daniels gave me the figures for the zones. Alot of other info in it that I haven't a bogs of but that's homework for another night. It even gives me projected finishing times on weight changes :eek:...must give up that chocolate :rolleyes:

https://us.v-cdn.net/6034073/uploads/attachments/215649/124575.xls

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Shaz, If you are just starting off with HR, keep it really simple.

If we assume (for now) that your max HR is 190ish then just try to keep your 'easy' runs below 80% of max (below 150ish).
    You will most likely find it hard at the start to keep the HR down but you will benefit in the long run if you do and you will start to notice your pace goes up for the same HR.

For other zones (LT, VO2max etc) it is really difficult to assign a HR zone that suits you as there can be a wide variation. You can also train your body to hold a higher HR for a longer time with a lower percieved effort. For exapmle your Marathon Hr could be anywahere from 150-170 bpm, you half from 160-180.
    Therefore I would say to run the speed session/races by feel at first and you will get an idea of the the HR you can hold for the different sessions, study the HR data after the race/session and you can learn from that.

menoscemo wrote: »
    Shaz, If you are just starting off with HR, keep it really simple.

If we assume (for now) that your max HR is 190ish then just try to keep your 'easy' runs below 80% of max (below 150ish).
    You will most likely find it hard at the start to keep the HR down but you will benefit in the long run if you do and you will start to notice your pace goes up for the same HR.

For other zones (LT, VO2max etc) it is really difficult to assign a HR zone that suits you as there can be a wide variation. You can also train your body to hold a higher HR for a longer time with a lower percieved effort. For exapmle your Marathon Hr could be anywahere from 150-170 bpm, you half from 160-180.
    Therefore I would say to run the speed session/races by feel at first and you will get an idea of the the HR you can hold for the different sessions, study the HR data after the race/session and you can learn from that.

Cool, sounds like a good plan. Will try it out for the next few runs and run them as I normally would by pace. Then I can start to look at the data in more detail.

Tues May 15th

W2D1: Easy Run - 3 miles

Yuck, it's like someone has just flipped an off switch for the last few runs. Legs were flat as a pancake and I did not enjoy this. Flipping wind and rain didn't help either :rolleyes:.
    Bloody HRM wouldn't connect either so can't even say that the run was worth that :mad:.

Distance: 3.04
    Time: 30:38
    Avg Pace: 10:05

• Advertisement

Wed May 16th

W2D2: 5 Miles easy

5 miles easy on the plan this eve but a last minute change to it. I've been having problems with right Achilles for a while and when left one started acting up I was getting royally annoyed. Tried everything including having the calves battered. The odd short run I did in another pair of runners helped it. To cut a long story short I headed to AmphibianKing this eve to see if they had some advice. Kayano 18's no longer have same support in heel box as my old 16's did so on their advice I swapped to Brooks Adrenaline.
    I took them for a test run this eve and swapped my days - 3 easy today instead. Not a gug from right achilles :), left still slightly niggly so hopefully it will relax.

Also turns out I have a heart beat - managed to connect my garmin and HRM. Much better run than yesterday as I stuggled to slow the pace.

Distance: 3.03
    Time: 30:38
    Avg Pace: 10.07

Advertisement