Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Back to Basics...

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭shazkea

Fri June 22nd

Swim - lesson 1

So many times today I almost talked myself out of this lesson coz I knew what was coming. Something along the lines of "put your head under water shaz and swim properly". I have a complete irrational fear of my Contacts in water and it's nearly 15 years since I've swam properly in a pool. I'm blind as a bat so no way in hell I'm getting into the water without my contacts. With no eyes in I have been known to walk into mens changing rooms by accident - although in my defence I couldn't see anything anyway so a bit of a waste :D

Its amazing what irrational fear will do to you though. Revelation...who knew goggles actually worked :rolleyes::o. Baby steps as he had me doing the simple things like putting head under as I am breathing out and gliding. WTF is breathing out under water about...never in my (pre-contacts) life did I do that before. We decided to start on perfecting breathing on breast stroke and then move onto Front Crawl in a few weeks.

I was shocking and did cough up the pool but did some lengths with the head under :). Its all about confidence and feeling comfortable in the pool again. On a positive note, apparently my technique is good but I waste so much energy with heads-up swimming.
    So plan is to perfect breast stroke until after eye laser surgery in a couple of weeks and then front crawl. Bring it on :)

Total: ~600m (lost count when I swallowed half the pool)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Awesome job Shaz!! If you could see me right now, you'd see that I was giving you a standing ovation!!! :)

Sat June 23rd

Run - easy 5/6 miles

I popped into the park for this one with the intention of seeing where my fitness is at. Did the Great Ireland 10km route and I found it tough on the "hills". Fitness is in the toilet. Shin did start acting up through it and afterwards it but seems to have settled now.

Cycle

Arrived home and decided to take the road bike out for a short cycle. Easy spin around which has helped the shin too. Maybe there is something to this multi discipline training :rolleyes:.
    At end of cycle I decided to pop into local bike shop for new pedals. Intention was the dual pedals (ones for clip-in and normal shoes). Apparently they are really only for mountain bikes so I left with new clip-in pedals and shoes. Oh dear god, what have I done :eek:

Had the bright idea of trying them out on the turbo first where I can't fall off. Will try them out tomorrow on a proper cycle.

Distance: 25 km

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

shazkea wrote: »

Its amazing what irrational fear will do to you though. Revelation...who knew goggles actually worked :rolleyes::o. Baby steps as he had me doing the simple things like putting head under as I am breathing out and gliding. WTF is breathing out under water about...never in my (pre-contacts) life did I do that before.

Could have been me writing that after my first lesson :D My goggles have started leaking a bit but guess what.... it's only a trickle that can wait til I finish the length! Nothing to panic about. I had a mini panic again last weekwhen we were diving but they (and contacts) stayed in place :).

littlebug wrote: »
    Could have been me writing that after my first lesson :D My goggles have started leaking a bit but guess what.... it's only a trickle that can wait til I finish the length! Nothing to panic about. I had a mini panic again last weekwhen we were diving but they (and contacts) stayed in place :).

Diving...oh good god, I'm off to huddle in a corner :eek: It is good to know you're making great progress though - where's your log gone tho??

• Advertisement

Sun June 24th

A mixed bag of good and bad :rolleyes:

Cycle

I got up with the intention of going for a longer cycle today. But as I was heading out monsoon season started so I bailed to the gym instead. Set the gym bike up for Hills Plus, cranked up the level and away I went. I sweated buckets and my legs were like jelly after. The hills just kept coming :rolleyes:

Gym Bike Total: 30 km

Came home to bright sunshine so headed out to try the clip-in pedals. A bit nervous I have to admit and Nules on speed dial in case I needed a hospital dash! The GAA pitch was in use so I hit the quieter roads instead. I loved it and no falls (yet). Clipping out was fine but back in needs some work. Just did a short spin... Baby steps

Road Bike: 10km so 40km for day.

Swim

As I was in gym, said I would hit the pool for a practice swim. Hated it - so bloody frustrating. Just can't get my stroke and breathing in sync. Run out of steam about 3/4 into a length every time. Aaaaaaaagggggghhhhhh :(

Total: about 400m of faffing around

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

Diving...oh good god, I'm off to huddle in a corner :eek: It is good to know you're making great progress though - where's your log gone tho??

Log gone til I have something to write home about running wise. I say diving but really it was mostly bellyflopping but great fun:D
    Swim

As I was in gym, said I would hit the pool for a practice swim. Hated it - so bloody frustrating. Just can't get my stroke and breathing in sync. Run out of steam about 3/4 into a length every time. Aaaaaaaagggggghhhhhh :(

it'll come Shaz.... just today, that's 9 lessons in... I felt like I'm finally doing the breaststroke properly. It just felt like really hard effort before when everyone was telling me it should be the easiest stroke.
    1000 m total this morning :) when I couldn't swim one length at the start.
    I should really start a new log :o

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭sunflowerRo

Shaz, I'm exhausted reading the amount of training you are doing. Talk about jumping right back in. You're flying!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

Shaz, I'm exhausted reading the amount of training you are doing. Talk about jumping right back in. You're flying!

+1
    (I'm lazy!)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭RubyK

Great work shaz, talk about getting stuck in to it :eek::D

• Advertisement

littlebug wrote: »
    Log gone til I have something to write home about running wise. I say diving but really it was mostly bellyflopping but great fun:D

it'll come Shaz.... just today, that's 9 lessons in... I felt like I'm finally doing the breaststroke properly. It just felt like really hard effort before when everyone was telling me it should be the easiest stroke.
    1000 m total this morning :) when I couldn't swim one length at the start.
    I should really start a new log :o

Ah LB you should update your log with the swims and bike. I know there are a few of us transitioning to Tri with a few more to come (if my persuasive powers have anything to do with it ;)). So it would be great to see how we each getting on and pick up some tips. RunRabbit this applies to you to :D.
    It's not going to be easy but at least we can help each other out without the fear of looking stupid.

Congrats on the 1000m , that's a brilliant milestone

Cheers for comments guys but eh there's not alot going on here. You are spending far more time on your feet than I am at these activities.

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭runrabbit

RunRabbit this applies to you to :D.

I don't think anyone needs to read a log of how much pool water I swallow day-to-day :rolleyes: (Let's pretend it's water and forget about all the other stuff in there :eek:)

runrabbit wrote: »
    I don't think anyone needs to read a log of how much pool water I swallow day-to-day :rolleyes: (Let's pretend it's water and forget about all the other stuff in there :eek:)

Ah stop, don't start me thinking on what's in the pools. What doesn't kill you makes you stronger eh! We'll have a good rant about it on Sat night :rolleyes:

Oh and come on ladies, I can't be the only one making an arse of myself with this swimming lark

Mon June 25th

Run - 3 miles

3 miles easy on the plan this eve and advised to make sure I do these on grass for the moment.
    Had a voucher for Life Style so picked myself up some DS Trainers the other day and took them for a test run. Wow, the most comfy shoe I have ever run in, love them. I'm sure they're bad for me in some way so I'll only wear them for short runs for the moment. Downside, they're bright and I mean very bright. Sunglasses must be worn when wearing them...

Asics_Gel_DS_trainer_17_bluwhtpink_Womens__28691_zoom.png

Oh and come on ladies, I can't be the only one making an arse of myself with this swimming lark

Well considering I can't even swim, I think you're amazing :)
    Feel better now?

jcsmum wrote: »
    Feel better now?

Ah ta but I'm on a mission to convert everyone to biking and swimming too :D. After a few drinks on Sat night I'll have you all signed up for a tri ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭runrabbit

Ah would you stop, I've been going to the pool on Friday evenings after work when the kids lane training is on, they're flying up and down and i'm in the kiddy area of the pool flailing around like a cat that's fallen into the toilet. So I am definitely making an arse of myself but i'm reaching an age where I am no longer embarrassed by such things. I'm sticking with it and by next year I'll be able to swim in the lanes with the other grown-ups!

I love the shoes by the way. They're the business.

Still not sure about Saturday, I have a scan on Friday and if they tell me I can never run again I probably won't be up to a running night out!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

Ah ta but I'm on a mission to convert everyone to biking and swimming too :D. After a few drinks on Sat night I'll have you all signed up for a tri ;)

There's some blessing in the segregation then :P

Feel better now?

Um no, it would be easier to convince me to go to coppers again!

• Advertisement

Mon June 25th

Run - 3 miles

3 miles easy on the plan this eve and advised to make sure I do these on grass for the moment.
    Had a voucher for Life Style so picked myself up some DS Trainers the other day and took them for a test run. Wow, the most comfy shoe I have ever run in, love them. I'm sure they're bad for me in some way so I'll only wear them for short runs for the moment. Downside, they're bright and I mean very bright. Sunglasses must be worn when wearing them...

Asics_Gel_DS_trainer_17_bluwhtpink_Womens__28691_zoom.png

Ohh, I like. Very snazzy, shazzy :D

Iirc, you didn't much value out of the Brookes Adrenalines, just like me :( Are the DS for mild/moderate overpronator?? I might just have to have a look into them myself (though I'll be shot if I'm found to smuggle any more runners into the house!).

Still not sure about Saturday, I have a scan on Friday and if they tell me I can never run again I probably won't be up to a running night out!

Hey, fingers crossed for you runrabbit, that you get good news on Friday!

They're nothing on my new runners, blue and neon green. They are loud but oh so comfy.

They're nothing on my new runners, blue and neon green. They are loud but oh so comfy.

I need to get me some day-glo-fast runners!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Fri June 22nd

Swim - lesson 1

Its amazing what irrational fear will do to you though. Revelation...who knew goggles actually worked :rolleyes::o. Baby steps as he had me doing the simple things like putting head under as I am breathing out and gliding. WTF is breathing out under water about...never in my (pre-contacts) life did I do that before. We decided to start on perfecting breathing on breast stroke and then move onto Front Crawl in a few weeks.

I was shocking and did cough up the pool but did some lengths with the head under :). Its all about confidence and feeling comfortable in the pool again. On a positive note, apparently my technique is good but I waste so much energy with heads-up swimming.
    So plan is to perfect breast stroke until after eye laser surgery in a couple of weeks and then front crawl. Bring it on :)

Pretty sure we never did the breathing out under water thing as kids either. Well done on the swimming.
    Clipping out was fine but back in needs some work. Just did a short spin... Baby steps

I still mis-clip all the time when clipping back in. :D Bastard getting going at traffic lights sometimes. :)

Hope all goes well for you rr

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

RubyK wrote: »
    I need to get me some day-glo-fast runners!

Me too, if I wasn't petrified of injury in shoes with less support I'd be getting a pair of those DS trainers because they look sweet :)

Mr Slow wrote: »
    There's some blessing in the segregation then :P
    Um no, it would be easier to convince me to go to coppers again!

What's with the negativity people :D

RubyK wrote: »
    Ohh, I like. Very snazzy, shazzy :D

Iirc, you didn't much value out of the Brookes Adrenalines, just like me :( Are the DS for mild/moderate overpronator?? I might just have to have a look into them myself (though I'll be shot if I'm found to smuggle any more runners into the house!).
    :D snazzy shazzy...I like!

Yeah not too fond of the Brooks, I just find them very clunky. I'll still run in them to get my money's worth but I think I am just an Asics girl at heart.
    Yup the DS Trainers are a supportive shoe and for overpronators. They are not as supportive as Kayanos or the 2170 so I am slightly wary of them. But oh so comfy I tell you...on sale for 85 in Life Style at mo ;)
    Oh I haven't seen those yet. We'll clash on our runs in the park...and we'll be seen from space :D
    Me too, if I wasn't petrified of injury in shoes with less support I'd be getting a pair of those DS trainers because they look sweet :)

I hear you RK, but with Asics changing Kayano every new model, I've nothing to loose :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

What's with the negativity people :D

That was a positive comment, K is the one looking down her nose at your dubious taste in nightclubs :pac:

• Advertisement

Ah would you stop, I've been going to the pool on Friday evenings after work when the kids lane training is on, they're flying up and down and i'm in the kiddy area of the pool flailing around like a cat that's fallen into the toilet. So I am definitely making an arse of myself but i'm reaching an age where I am no longer embarrassed by such things. I'm sticking with it and by next year I'll be able to swim in the lanes with the other grown-ups!

I love the shoes by the way. They're the business.

That's the spirit RR :D. I have to admit I am finding the return to swimming alot harder than I thought. But we will succeed :D. I got some good tips on technique from Dory's log so will try them out this evening. The swim instructor advised being able to do 1000m comfortably with proper technique (for me head under water) before attempting a tri so lots of time for us.

Everything crossed that the scan will go well on Friday, let me know how you get on. Whatever the result, come out on Sat as I can fully empathise and running would be off the discussion table if necessary.

I can't get an appointment with the consultant until Aug 14th so no way in hell I'm waiting that long to return to running :rolleyes:. Appointment is made anyway so nothing to loose!!!

How is your cycling going?

Advertisement