Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Official Cavan GAA Discussion thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭willabur

Cavan are 5-1 with the bookies. I think that says all you need to know about where the two teams are regarded by the great beast.
    How often to 5-1 teams win games of football? I would say its a good bit less than 20% so thats essentially what we are looking at with regards Cavans prospects. This is because we are facing a quality Kerry outfit, there are some outstanding footballers in this team. Some who have made their names already several times other while others who are driven by pure culture to emulate team mates, brothers, fathers, uncles or cousins. As a team they deserve respect and they have our total respect as they have earned it, but they are not perfect.

They have weaknesses which we will look to exploit, whether they can run full pelt for 70 mins we don't know, we hope our lads can outlast them. I wouldn't question their hunger as they have proven by the amount of times they have returned to the well - add to that the young lads who have not tasted success, they will have serious hunger knowing the lads sitting among them or the lads at home have medals and they don't. Senior medals in cavan are like hens teeth, the culture has had to be reinvented in the county and like it or not at senior level we are at an almost unprecendented level and have therefore exceeded expectation. It would be as valid to question cavans hunger as kerrys.

Bottom line is that they are what we want to be, for us a quarter final represents success, for them it would be the biggest disaster in history not to make one. We need to be a point where quarter finals are not enough and I think this will take more time. I really hope I am wrong again because I tipped Derry to beat us in Celtic Park in a close encounter, I was never ever so happy to be wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭willabur

celt262 wrote: »
    No im fed up with people thinking Cavan will beat kerry because Kerry are old and will get tired.

I honestly think peoples opinion is that Cavans younger legs might make the difference in beating them. I don't think any sane person reckons cavan will definitely win, they are just saying there is a chance and the beauty of sport is that there is always a chance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 327 ✭✭Taffy Kat

No im fed up with people thinking Cavan will beat kerry because Kerry are old and will get tired.

Ok... Cavan are sh*t and have a team full of lads who can't even kick a ball straight and wouldn't get a game in a special junior club match in Kerry. There's really no point Cavan turning up on Sunday because they'll be lucky not to lose by 100 points. It'd be better if Gwynedd were playing Kerry because even they'd have a better chance of winning. Cavan haven't been able to play football since the great John Joe was alive and are going to make a holy show of themselves. All the Cavan supporters have wasted their money on tickets, the poor twits.

Happy now?

Except we all think Cavan have a chance, a small one ok, but a chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,400 ✭✭✭celt262

Taffy Kat wrote: »
    Ok... Cavan are sh*t and have a team full of lads who can't even kick a ball straight and wouldn't get a game in a special junior club match in Kerry. There's really no point Cavan turning up on Sunday because they'll be lucky not to lose by 100 points. It'd be better if Gwynedd were playing Kerry because even they'd have a better chance of winning. Cavan haven't been able to play football since the great John Joe was alive and are going to make a holy show of themselves. All the Cavan supporters have wasted their money on tickets, the poor twits.

Happy now?

Except we all think Cavan have a chance, a small one ok, but a chance.

No Cavan might actually have a chance because they are a well organised team who will give it all. If thats what you think girl stay at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭scatman carruthers

They stand a very good chance if the fans start throwing their half empty cans of beer they sneak in onto the hill infront of colm cooper when he's coming In on goal. That's their only hope.And only the fans on the hill that are not near the safety net behind the goals ,butfor the half kerry are shooting into the canal end they'r in trouble coz that's completely surrounded by netting

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I warning handed out, to all posters, any bickering will lead to BOTH posters being banned till after the championship, regardless of whether you are responding to a troll or you are the troll.

No Cavan might actually have a chance because they are a well organised team who will give it all. If thats what you think girl stay at home.

Its not what I think. Please try to interpret and keep abreast of what's being said. Anyone who was seriously reading the thread would have seen that I was being sarcastic.

That said, I think you do have a point, to some extent at least. Undoubtedly, in fact. The team is very well organised and has a good number of good players in it, a lot of whom have already been successful at various youth levels, but I still remain firm on the point that I feel young legs is an advantage. I've already said youth doesn't equal victory, just that it can help. Obviously it can't help if the team is completely weak, but that's not the case with Cavan. However, everyone is making Kerry heavy favourites, in many respects for their experience at this level of competition, like many did with Kilkenny last week, and we know how that finished up.

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭muincav

I will have to forget about the match (couldnt bear to watch TV3 coverage) if the damn tickets dont arrive in the post in the morning....lol...anyone else still waiting? Wish now I had just done a print at home purchase, but you cant beat having the real ticket with "CAVAN" and "CROKE PARK" on the same ticket...
    Is supporters are the extra man the CAVAN will have about 5 extra men on Sunday,,,c'mon the Blues...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭Al_Coholic

muincav wrote: »
    I will have to forget about the match (couldnt bear to watch TV3 coverage) if the damn tickets dont arrive in the post in the morning....lol...anyone else still waiting? Wish now I had just done a print at home purchase, but you cant beat having the real ticket with "CAVAN" and "CROKE PARK" on the same ticket...
    Is supporters are the extra man the CAVAN will have about 5 extra men on Sunday,,,c'mon the Blues...

BBC2 NI will show the Cavan game...they will also show the 2 other games with the Ulster teams playing.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭scatman carruthers

Great boost that love the ****e talk from the lad on the BBC commentary

• Advertisement

Al_Coholic wrote: »
    BBC2 NI will show the Cavan game...they will also show the 2 other games with the Ulster teams playing.

I dont think the BBC (NI) are showing any games this weekend....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Neeson

muincav wrote: »
    I dont think the BBC (NI) are showing any games this weekend....

They are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

BBBC 2 NI are showing Monaghan v Tyrone on Saturday and both games on Sunday..

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Gallant_JJ

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Way Down South

Greetings from Kerry and excuse my intrusion into your excellent site. May I first off congratulate Cavan on their successes in underage and senior football in recent times. I grew up in a Kerry home where the great games of past times were discussed and replayed over and over again, not least the Polo Grounds game of 47. I had the great pleasure of personally knowing Eddie Carolan for many years and Joe Stafford for a few years. Gentlemen both, God rest their souls. I must admit that I have very little knowledge of the Cavan players other than what I have seen in their games this Championship and one cannot but be impressed. I have no doubt but that the team will be well prepared for Sunday and give a good account of themselves.
    With regard to Kerry – they have prepared well and are a different team to these past few years where the preparation was not even close to what it should be. I have no doubt whatsoever but that they will give Cavan due respect, as they would any team. Having said that, we do expect to win this game. Self-confidence is a crucial mental skill, whereas, over-confidence is a common attribution for poor performance in a situation in which success is expected. Don’t expect success, prepare for it. For some of our panel it will be their final Championship as they face the sunset of their careers and they will want to go out on a high note. So I just hope we have the correct balance.
    In any case, we will enjoy the occasion of renewing ‘hostilities’ with a county of great tradition in this wonderful game. Success to ye in the future, but not just yet!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

Got this in an e-mail from Cavan Co. Co.

Going to Croke Park Match on Sunday?

Expect long delays in Virginia on Sunday morning, please allow an additional 40 mins to pass through Town remember there will be addtional traffic coming from Donegal.

If at all possible please avoid Virginia by taking alternative route - click into body of notice for more details

1. Traffic originating from East: Cavan, Cootehill, Shercock, Bailieborough & Kingscourt areas are advised to travel to Dublin via N2 or M1 both ways
    2. Traffic originating from South west: Cavan, Ballinagh, Lacken, Gowna, Finea, Mullahorn are advised to travel to Dublin via N4 both ways
    3. Traffic passing through Ballyjamesduff and Mountnugent areas are advised to travel to Dublin via Oldcastle/Kells M3 and vice versa

• Registered Users Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭bigtimecharlie

Here's hoping for a good day tomorrow, my first trip to the "finished" Croke Park since 2000. More in hope than expectation but like the Derry game, you'll never know.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

Tom Joad wrote: »
    Got this in an e-mail from Cavan Co. Co.

Going to Croke Park Match on Sunday?

Expect long delays in Virginia on Sunday morning, please allow an additional 40 mins to pass through Town remember there will be addtional traffic coming from Donegal.

If at all possible please avoid Virginia by taking alternative route - click into body of notice for more details

1. Traffic originating from East: Cavan, Cootehill, Shercock, Bailieborough & Kingscourt areas are advised to travel to Dublin via N2 or M1 both ways
    2. Traffic originating from South west: Cavan, Ballinagh, Lacken, Gowna, Finea, Mullahorn are advised to travel to Dublin via N4 both ways
    3. Traffic passing through Ballyjamesduff and Mountnugent areas are advised to travel to Dublin via Oldcastle/Kells M3 and vice versa

Hmmm, can't see many people from Kingscourt going by the N2, Navan - M3 is generally too fast to access to avoid for them, even for Shercock. Bound to be a disaster with Donegal folks heading down the M3 also. I'm lucky to be staying up in Dundalk tonight, should be no bother getting down on the bus and just hopping off going by Croker.

Brolly losing the run of himself... As per usual!

I'm going to say it now. At the risk of getting egg on my face I firmly believe that by four o'clock Cavan will be in the semi finals. Kerry don't like playing Ulster teams.

Come on Cavan!

• Advertisement

Final ball letting Cavan down every time. Some poor passing in midfield too. Couple of strong performances in the defence though.

Nerves have gotten to Cavan. This isn't remotely resemblant of Hyland's style. They're far too eager to shoot on sight or to play in a final ball when in previous matches they would've seen when the wiser option was to go backwards and build up again.

Rather than focusing on the negative we should look at the good aspects of today and this season.

Cavan have made massive progress this year. Five consecutive wins, and two big runs out at Croke Park. A good young team with the potential to develop greatly in the future and a good manager to guide them.

Today was always going to be tough, but at least the players gave an account of themselves, not a full account because they played beneath themselves, but at least they turned up in the second half. The important thing now is to harness the progress and win division 3 next year because being in the top two leagues is very important to be well prepared for the championship. Then a real drive for Ulster.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

I was hoping Cavan would weather the Kerry storm and stay with them for the first 25 minutes. Nerves got to them.
    They played very well in defence but in the first half the amount of silly and stray passes was unbelievable in the forward line.

They played much better in the second half and but for some very wayward shooting would have been much closer. Cavan have the makings of a very good team and getting out of Div 3 would help their progress.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

I was hoping Cavan would weather the Kerry storm and stay with them for the first 25 minutes. Nerves got to them.
    They played very well in defence but in the first half the amount of silly and stray passes was unbelievable in the forward line.

They played much better in the second half and but for some very wayward shooting would have been much closer. Cavan have the makings of a very good team and getting out of Div 3 would help their progress.

There's no doubt we'll be back. This year's progress is already far more than we ever expected at this early stage.

The lads didn't do themselves justice in the first half today but I'm sure they'll learn valuable lessons from it.

Taffy Kat wrote: »

Five consecutive wins, .

We can only dream of where that might bring us but overall apart from the league this year as being a success and a big learning curve.

We can only dream of where that might bring us but overall apart from the league this year as being a success and a big learning curve.

I would also see the league as a success. I honestly think if the U21s hadn't been omitted from the panel after the Meath game, we would have been promoted. That left us without Gilsenan, Clarke, Flanagan, McLoughlin and Brady. Five starters.

We were also left without bench players like McVetty.

That said, I agree with that procedure being followed.

Lemlin wrote: »
    I would also see the league as a success. I honestly think if the U21s hadn't been omitted from the panel after the Meath game, we would have been promoted. That left us without Gilsenan, Clarke, Flanagan, McLoughlin and Brady. Five starters.

We were also left without bench players like McVetty.

That said, I agree with that procedure being followed.

I don't think it should be followed next year its very important to get out of Division 3 next year and to do that strongest team should be played. It was no coincidence that the two best displays in league were when a full squad was available.

Dear Cavan...(letter from a fan...lol)
    All I can say is a BIG thanks to the Cavan lads...you made what could have been an ordinary championship into an Extraordinary Championship...every game was exciting in its own way (even when Marty Duffy turned a blind eye..lol)..
    You brought Pride back to Cavan football, in a time when NONE of the so called experts gave you a chance... You went out and enjoyed the games and made it even more enjoyable for us the fans...I hope now you can build on this season and even if you dont get as far again for a while, just keep enjoying your football and we will all enjoy watching you...P.S.-Anthony Forde can now give his fingernails and nerves a rest....
    Yours sincerely-An appreciative CAVAN fan...:D

• Advertisement

I think the lads are really carrying their winning mentality from the U21s through.

They aren't resting on their laurels and are already talking about next year.

Advertisement