Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Official Cavan GAA Discussion thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭freethearmy

i live in cavan and everytime cavan win 1 championship game they think they rule the world.....the players hit the town and Imperial Bar with the collars up like "ERIC CANTONA" and walking around the place thinking they are David Beckam...Roll on sunday till they meet a top class team and they are put back in their boxes with the rest off the county.....and realise....... ITS NEVER GONNA HAPPEN...rant over...enjoy your day in dublin "with" your seinor team and see yas all again in 15 years :D:D:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 760 ✭✭✭PGL

Hi folks.

Wanna pick myself up a Cavan GAA polo shirt (preferably an O'Neills one) for Sunday. Won't get home to Cavan in time so does anyone know shops in Dublin that have them in stock? Called up the O'Neills shop in Walkinstown but it looks like they won't have them in stock in time.....

cheers folks!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭celt262

PGL wrote: »
    Hi folks.

Wanna pick myself up a Cavan GAA polo shirt (preferably an O'Neills one) for Sunday. Won't get home to Cavan in time so does anyone know shops in Dublin that have them in stock? Called up the O'Neills shop in Walkinstown but it looks like they won't have them in stock in time.....

cheers folks!

There was none in Cavan last weekend either.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

i live in cavan and everytime cavan win 1 championship game they think they rule the world.....the players hit the town and Imperial Bar with the collars up like "ERIC CANTONA" and walking around the place thinking they are David Beckam...Roll on sunday till they meet a top class team and they are put back in their boxes with the rest off the county.....and realise....... ITS NEVER GONNA HAPPEN...rant over...enjoy your day in dublin "with" your seinor team and see yas all again in 15 years :D:D:D:D:D

You must be living in Cavan a while because its not often we win more than one championship game!

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭muincav

Yes-but this time its 5--yes "FIVE" Games and even I would walk round like Cantona and I hated the pr1ck...lol...Bet you dont say that in the Imperial...lol....Cmon The BLUES>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>.:D

• Advertisement

muincav wrote: »
    Yes-but this time its 5--yes "FIVE" Games and even I would walk round like Cantona and I hated the pr1ck...lol...Bet you dont say that in the Imperial...lol....Cmon The BLUES>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>.:D

see sunday after they lose..walkinfg around town for 2 days in their polo shirts thinking their great and i will be back on to post to state facts...... in cavan a while same dirt every year in the anglo celt and same from supporters..."This is our year"

no need for that just stating facts... it happens every year fact.....beaten no 1 this year.. spent forces is all and a london team and still hearing same dung roll on sunday till this is over!!

see sunday after they lose..walkinfg around town for 2 days in their polo shirts thinking their great and i will be back on to post to state facts...... in cavan a while same dirt every year in the anglo celt and same from supporters..."This is our year"

Fook me, I don't know what Celt you've been reading or what you've been smoking. It's a long time since anyone from Cavan thought or said "this is our year".

As for the lads in Poli shirts and track suit tips hanging around the Imperial, that was a problem in the 00s I'll admit but these lads are more focused. You're more likely to see them in the gym or swimming pool than the Imperial.

In fact, every Sunday morning after a game they meet at the Crystal pool. I was also in Bailieboro gym at my son's swimming the Monday after the Derry game and at least 2 of the panel were there working away.

Lemlin wrote: »
    Fook me, I don't know what Celt you've been reading or what you've been smoking. It's a long time since anyone from Cavan thought or said "this is our year".

As for the lads in Poli shirts and track suit tips hanging around the Imperial, that was a problem in the 00s I'll admit but these lads are more focused. You're more likely to see them in the gym or swimming pool than the Imperial.

In fact, every Sunday morning after a game they meet at the Crystal pool. I was also in Bailieboro gym at my son's swimming the Monday after the Derry game and at least 2 of the panel were there working away.

Lets see next weekend.... mackey doing robot around imperial a few weeks ago after getting beat........ im not here to row just state facts

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭willabur

can we just ignore this lad and eh, move on..

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

freethearmy infracted.
    Keep in mind that personal abuse directed at anyone is not permitted. Simply report offending posts and try not to rise to them.

willabur wrote: »
    can we just ignore this lad and eh, move on..
    Please do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Sam Hain

Can't see what he did wrong there, he only stated an opinion and some hometruths. And where was the personal abuse? Typical boards reaction to opinions they don't like. What a crock of........

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭bradyle

Sam Hain wrote: »
    Can't see what he did wrong there, he only stated an opinion and some hometruths. And where was the personal abuse? Typical boards reaction to opinions they don't like. What a crock of........

He referred to a player in particular which I think is what the mod had an issue with. Boards is responsible for what gets posted here so they don't like it when people are singled out as it leaves them open. So I think that's fair.

I would say that back a few years ago our players may not have been the most dedicated and thought they were the sh1t when they never got anything but this has changed they are a lot more dedicated now which is showing in their improvement.

And so what if we do loose and they're out in the Imperial that night fcuk it they deserve to celebrate. They have given the country the best run of football in at least 16 years they deserve to relax and enjoy themselves when it's over (which hopefully wont be till Sept 22nd)

But anyway I find it interesting that when ya go to the Kerry version of this thread they don't seem to be writing us off, OK well none of them doubt they'll be able to beat us but they seem to thing it'll be a closer call than most other neutral people do!

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Trolling isn't permitted either. Nice try though. ;)

He stated an opinion that was, to put it mildly, complete and utter horse sh!t!

I live in Cavan, as do the majority of posters here, do you see us stating "This is our Year" and expecting the team to win the All-Ireland? Fook me, if anything I've shown my pessimism by expecting us to lose every game this year bar the London match.

As for his comments re the lads in Polo shirts and tracksuit tops hanging around The Imperial. That has ended with this bunch of lads.

I heard the lads were out after the Monaghan loss but they are an amateur bunch of lads giving up alot of time and they were hugely frustrated. They believed they could win Ulster and future results have shown they well could have.

I'd far prefer that Terry has the sense to see that and allow them a night out, with the next game being a full fortnight away, than act like McGeeney up in Kildare who is throwing teenagers off the panel for attending music festivals.

We've a young team and they can't just give their lives up.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,205 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

I live in Cavan, as do the majority of posters here, do you see us stating "This is our Year" and expecting the team to win the All-Ireland? Fook me, if anything I've shown my pessimism by expecting us to lose every game this year bar the London match.

As for his comments re the lads in Polo shirts and tracksuit tops hanging around The Imperial. That has ended with this bunch of lads.

I heard the lads were out after the Monaghan loss but they are an amateur bunch of lads giving up alot of time and they were hugely frustrated. They believed they could win Ulster and future results have shown they well could have.

I'd far prefer that Terry has the sense to see that and allow them a night out, with the next game being a full fortnight away, than act like McGeeney up in Kildare who is throwing teenagers off the panel for attending music festivals.

to put it mildly u are obsessed with mcgeeney and Kildare :P

On a serious note I fully agree a night out is no harm it is like an incentive for the young lads for all their hard work..

Well done Cavan by the way ill be shouting for ye against Kerry...

celt262 wrote: »
    There was none in Cavan last weekend either.

Anyone know of a shop in Dublin that could sort me out with a polo shirt?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 327 ✭✭Taffy Kat

Anyone know of a shop in Dublin that could sort me out with a polo shirt?

Penneys? Marks and Spencer? Dunnes? :D

For a Cavan one I'd try Elvery's (I think its Elvery's) at Croke Park.

Taffy Kat wrote: »
    Penneys? Marks and Spencer? Dunnes? :D

For a Cavan one I'd try Elvery's (I think its Elvery's) at Croke Park.

Tried Elverys at Liffey Valley, but they only had a very small corner dedicated to Dublin GAA gear. Elverys at Croker is probably the only realistic option, unless anyone knows of somewhere else either at one of the main shopping centres, or the city centre?

Might give Pennys, M&S and Dunnes a miss! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

Tried Elverys at Liffey Valley, but they only had a very small corner dedicated to Dublin GAA gear. Elverys at Croker is probably the only realistic option, unless anyone knows of somewhere else either at one of the main shopping centres, or the city centre?

Might give Pennys, M&S and Dunnes a miss! ;)

Elverys in Arnotts or Suffolk Street
    big enough shop

• Advertisement

You can buy them from O'neills online...dunno how quick the delivery would be though!

bradyle wrote: »
    You can buy them from O'neills online...dunno how quick the delivery would be though!

There is a limited selection / sizes online. Plus as you say delivery probably won't be too swift. They had a new (predominantly white) polo shirt on the website on Sat, but it has since been removed.....

There is a limited selection / sizes online. Plus as you say delivery probably won't be too swift. They had a new (predominantly white) polo shirt on the website on Sat, but it has since been removed.....

I really like the one based on what was worn in 1947...the blue and white stripe. Was tempted to get it seeing as their international shipping is free...but left it to late I think!

bradyle wrote: »

5 days generally.

I'd add that Cody never stopped his players going out for a few after a match. Even when Kilkenny were absolutely dominant, the players could be seen, with drink clearly taken, around the town after a match. There's a difference between a player doing it once in a while and doing it every week.

shock horror lads, one of the national level podcasts have just done a bit of a special on cavan football. Fast forward to 44 minutes for an interview with Ronan Carolan and Fintan Cahill. They talk about the genesis of the 97 team and a little bit about the current crop

http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/second-captains

Anyone else planning on going by themselves on Sunday? I'm seriously thinking about going but as my Cavan relatives are all too old now, I would be going alone. If anyone else in a similar situation fancies a pint or two before the game let me know.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,205 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

Taffy Kat wrote: »
    Anyone else planning on going by themselves on Sunday? I'm seriously thinking about going but as my Cavan relatives are all too old now, I would be going alone. If anyone else in a similar situation fancies a pint or two before the game let me know.

Are you male or female? If female bust size?? Oh andif female post pic :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,210 ✭✭✭tanko

Upper Hogan Stand on sale now.

• Advertisement

Donaghy in at 14 for sunday. Its an enforced change due to injury but there has to be some thought in Kerry that they can exploit the perceived weakness in the Cavan full back line / goalie. Any word on the injury to Gilsenan? His foot was in crutches two weeks ago, can't imagine it being okay already.

I might be judging O'Meara too harshly. The ball across for the goal was a notoriously hard ball to deal with, you really need to make sure your starting position is perfect. The way the ball was played he needed to be closer to the opponent so he could get to the flight of the ball, had he been in that position though it would have left the near post wide open enough that a shank could have slipped in easily.
    He also didn't look convincing under two balls played in early in the second half, whether he couldn't have done much with them is beside the point as they add fuel to the fire and I am sure kerry will be putting in some direct ball early on Sunday. Lets hope he can pop up against Donaghy and get the ball away to safety

Advertisement