Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Official Cavan GAA Discussion thread.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

celt262 wrote: »
    O'Mara wasn't even on the panel for the Armagh game.

As far as i would see it O'Mara had the jersey and was the number 1 keeper. He got Injured and then James Reilly got the Jersey and Gilsenan was brought in as Cover. Gilsenan did not even want to be part of the Senior set up this year and had to be begged to come in (he told me this himself). Management then decided that Gilsenan was the better option and he got the jersey for the championship, then he got injured and O'Mara got it back.

I would think that both of them will get some game time in the league next year.

On another note try and get the spelling of the guys names right !!

When you are correcting someone else on their spelling try to ensure you are above reproach ;) - injured doesn't need a capital I yet I does when referring to yourself. Good lad :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭celt262

Tom Joad wrote: »
    When you are correcting someone else on their spelling try to ensure you are above reproach ;) - injured doesn't need a capital I yet I does when referring to yourself. Good lad :D

Nothing wrong With the spelling Though :D

I just though it was funny that we have two goal keepers and both the Names are been spelled Wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

O'Mara wasn't even on the panel for the Armagh game.

As far as i would see it O'Mara had the jersey and was the number 1 keeper. He got Injured and then James Reilly got the Jersey and Gilsenan was brought in as Cover. Gilsenan did not even want to be part of the Senior set up this year and had to be begged to come in (he told me this himself). Management then decided that Gilsenan was the better option and he got the jersey for the championship, then he got injured and O'Mara got it back.

I would think that both of them will get some game time in the league next year.

On another note try and get the spelling of the guys names right !!

So the crux of your post is you're agreeing with me that Gilsenan is number 1?

Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭KeepTheFaith

O'Meara wasn't fit for the Armagh game Lemlin. Seeing as Gilsenan only started playing in Goals after O'Meara's injury it's hard to call who Terry sees as his number one. The beginning of next, assuming both are fit, year will tell that tale.

O'Meara wasn't fit for the Armagh game Lemlin. Seeing as Gilsenan only started playing in Goals after O'Meara's injury it's hard to call who Terry sees as his number one. The beginning of next, assuming both are fit, year will tell that tale.

Ah but...

I've checked the team sheets from the programmes I have from the year. Celt is indeed right about the Armagh game but O'Mara (is that spelling good enough !?) was fit for the first Fermanagh game, the Monaghan game and the second Fermanagh game.

Gilsenan played as goalkeeper with O'Mara on the bench. Gilsenan then got injured and was on crutches at the Derry game which was when O'Mara took over.

O'Mara also played for the juniors in their two matches between the Armagh and Fermanagh games.

The first junior game was only nine days after the Armagh game. I can't find it online but I thought I read before that O'Mara would miss 4-6 weeks with his hand injury from the Sligo game and it happened on March 10th, ten weeks before the Armagh game.

Gilsenan couldn't have featured in the league after O'Mara's injury because he would have been with the U21s.

• Advertisement

We don't know though Lemlin. If someone asked you if Martin Reilly was a starting player in the Cavan team what would you have said?

We don't know though Lemlin. If someone asked you if Martin Reilly was a starting player in the Cavan team what would you have said?

Before the Kerry game I would have said no but then he got the nod ahead of McDermott who was back fit so I'd say yes now.

The same goes for McVeety. I'd see him as a starter now.

Incidentally, he got his Leaving Results during the week, shows how young our team is!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,618 ✭✭✭willabur

Eh Dara Mcveety is in college in Marino, he played trench cup with them last year. I think you are just making stuff up now

Lemlin wrote: »
    Before the Kerry game I would have said no but then he got the nod ahead of McDermott who was back fit so I'd say yes now.

The same goes for McVeety. I'd see him as a starter now.

Incidentally, he got his Leaving Results during the week, shows how young our team is!

The way I'd look at it is we have about 11/12 definite starters when fit, about 5 other lads could get their places depending on opposition and form, and then there are lads that will not get a start barring an awful lot of injuries. For me, I wouldn't call Gilsenan one of the definite starters, McVeety either, but each to their own.

McVeety is going into his third year in Marino. You might be thinking of Gerry Smith he would have sat the leaving cert this year.

willabur wrote: »
    Eh Dara Mcveety is in college in Marino, he played trench cup with them last year. I think you are just making stuff up now

Padraig Reilly tweeted good luck to him on getting his Leaving Cert results last week. Given McVeety's age of 19, I didn't cop it was a joke.

Other members of that U21 team, Gerard Smith for example, were getting results this year so it was an easy enough mistake to make.

• Advertisement

The way I'd look at it is we have about 11/12 definite starters when fit, about 5 other lads could get their places depending on opposition and form, and then there are lads that will not get a start barring an awful lot of injuries. For me, I wouldn't call Gilsenan one of the definite starters, McVeety either, but each to their own.

McVeety is going into his third year in Marino. You might be thinking of Gerry Smith he would have sat the leaving cert this year.

I explained the McVeety thing above.

I wouldn't class him as a definite starter. You asked about Reilly being a starter, you said nothing about a definite starter.

The only definite starters I would see us as having are the spine of the team - Rory Dunne, Al Clarke, Givney, McKiernan, Mackey and Keating.

Anyone after that could be chopped/changed for tactics.

Big surprise to see Gowna beat Kingscourt in the Senior Championship - would have been a lot of money on Kingscourt. Ballinagh beat Drumalee and Castlerahan put up a big score against Redhills.

I explained the McVeety thing above.

I wouldn't class him as a definite starter. You asked about Reilly being a starter, you said nothing about a definite starter.

The only definite starters I would see us as having are the spine of the team - Rory Dunne, Al Clarke, Givney, McKiernan, Mackey and Keating.

Anyone after that could be chopped/changed for tactics.

You don't think Martin Dunne, Feargal Flanagan, Damien O'Reilly, Killian Clarke, Jason McLoughlin, are definite starters?!

You don't think Martin Dunne, Feargal Flanagan, Damien O'Reilly, Killian Clarke, Jason McLoughlin, are definite starters?!

For me you can take or leave Dunne at times. He was as poor in some games as he was good in others. I wouldn't mind seeing Jack Brady tried in corner forward and just put Keating full forward.

Clarke won't be available for a good part of the league next year.

McLoughlin missed the Derry game but he seemed to be left out for the London match. He is our best man marker IMO but there's room for improvement as McManus gave him the runaround.

There are some young players coming through that will really put it up to the rest of these lads so it will be interesting to see. Look at McVeety and Argue. Two 19 year olds.

McVeety basically took James McEnroe's position which, for me, was quite an achievement as I rated McEnroe. I know he was named in the half forwards but it was McEnroe who lost out due to him playing.

You look at the midfield spots and you have to wonder where Argue will fit in if his rapid development continues. There are interesting times ahead and I feel very few people are definite starters other than the spine of the team I listed above.

Big surprise to see Gowna beat Kingscourt in the Senior Championship - would have been a lot of money on Kingscourt. Ballinagh beat Drumalee and Castlerahan put up a big score against Redhills.

Both of last year's finalists are in the backdoor rounds now. Castlerahan and Redhills went to extra time.

Anyone attend any games?

I was at the Gaels game last weekend against Lacken. They didn't justify being such short odds favourites for me, although they do have alot of players to come in yet.

Was at Redhills and Castlerahan then Friday night. Cracking game. Far better atmosphere at it in Lavey than you get at an empty Breffni. I was surprised Reshills got the draw. Castlerahan definitely more physical this year.

For me you can take or leave Dunne at times. He was as poor in some games as he was good in others. I wouldn't mind seeing Jack Brady tried in corner forward and just put Keating full forward.

Clarke won't be available for a good part of the league next year.

McLoughlin missed the Derry game but he seemed to be left out for the London match. He is our best man marker IMO but there's room for improvement as McManus gave him the runaround.

There are some young players coming through that will really put it up to the rest of these lads so it will be interesting to see. Look at McVeety and Argue. Two 19 year olds.

McVeety basically took James McEnroe's position which, for me, was quite an achievement as I rated McEnroe. I know he was named in the half forwards but it was McEnroe who lost out due to him playing.

You look at the midfield spots and you have to wonder where Argue will fit in if his rapid development continues. There are interesting times ahead and I feel very few people are definite starters other than the spine of the team I listed above.

Fair enough if you don't see them as definite starters, but it's clear as day that Terry does. All of the players I have mentioned start every game they are available and fit to play. McLoughlin was left out as he had a hamstring injury and it was decided not to risk him for the London game. I think you're completely wrong in saying that Rory Dunne, Givney, Alan Clarke, Mackey are more assured of their places than the lads I have mentioned. Don't forget Givney lost his place for a game during the league.

Personally I think Argue could oust Givney from the midfield position if he continues to progress. Givney is too good not to get his place somewhere in the side but Terry saw him as 3rd choice midfielder until his hand was forced through injury, and he hasn't done enough to make it his own this summer.

Fair enough if you don't see them as definite starters, but it's clear as day that Terry does. All of the players I have mentioned start every game they are available and fit to play. McLoughlin was left out as he had a hamstring injury and it was decided not to risk him for the London game. I think you're completely wrong in saying that Rory Dunne, Givney, Alan Clarke, Mackey are more assured of their places than the lads I have mentioned. Don't forget Givney lost his place for a game during the league.

Personally I think Argue could oust Givney from the midfield position if he continues to progress. Givney is too good not to get his place somewhere in the side but Terry saw him as 3rd choice midfielder until his hand was forced through injury, and he hasn't done enough to make it his own this summer.

Bit of a contradiction there. You give Givney as an example of a player who lost his place but then go on to state he is "too good not to get his place somewhere in the side".

He didn't lose his place either. He was rested due to fatigue after playing in the League, Sigerson Cup and Railway Cup.

If you Google search "David Givney Rested", a Celt article will show confirming it. For some reason I can't copy the link.

I'd argue re Terry seeing him as third choice midfielder. Terry has to get the balance of the side right. Yes, Givney was utilised at full forward while Keating was injured but that could be because he sees him as the better of his attack minded midfielders to move out of midfield because he's more adaptable. One think is for certain and that's that Hyland won't play him and McKiernan at midfield together.

I think Givney did a good job at midfield. Injury to Corr meant he never had a regular partner which is a big factor. He and others like Mackey picked up knocks in or around the Derry game and it meant their influence was effected IMO.

I also think at times that people expect too much of him given his reputation now. Let's not forget he was good enough to play midfield for Ulster in both Railway Cup games and look at some of the midfielders available for selection there. Incidentally, Joe Kiernan picked him ahead of Gearoid McKiernan.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭Crash Bang Wall

Both of last year's finalists are in the backdoor rounds now. Castlerahan and Redhills went to extra time.

Anyone attend any games?

I was at the Gaels game last weekend against Lacken. They didn't justify being such short odds favourites for me, although they do have alot of players to come in yet.

Was at Redhills and Castlerahan then Friday night. Cracking game. Far better atmosphere at it in Lavey than you get at an empty Breffni. I was surprised Reshills got the draw. Castlerahan definitely more physical this year.

Castlerahan were very poor....missed a lot of chances and loose at the back. Won well in ET but that hides a poor performance. Wasnt keen on the referee either. And its not because it was a lady, I just thought she missed a lot.

What was your opinion on the lights in ET....I didnt think they were strong enough for a Championship match, safety issue for players.

Castlerahan were very poor....missed a lot of chances and loose at the back. Won well in ET but that hides a poor performance. Wasnt keen on the referee either. And its not because it was a lady, I just thought she missed a lot.

What was your opinion on the lights in ET....I didnt think they were strong enough for a Championship match, safety issue for players.

I think it's a bad time for a game to be still going on tbh. That timeline when you are drifting out of daylight. Don't think it was the lights but rather just that the starting time should probably be half 7 and not 8. The lights don't really kick in until the darkness really hits.

In regard to the ref, Tbh I have been at 3 championship games so far (Gaels Lacken, Redhills Castlerahan and Lavey Crosserlough) and all three referees let alot go. I'm not sure what the point behind it is.

When players go to inter county games, they are going to be carded for tackles which the ref isn't even talking to them for in club games. Its led to some very scrappy passages of play. When players cop they have that little extra bit of tolerance from the ref, they tend to go for it.

It's been a problem for a while now. Referees need to demand respect more in the county. I was at a Division 1 league game a few years back where a player pushed over the referee and only got a yellow. And I don't mean knocked in to him by mistake or anything, I mean physically pushed him over. Now, not hard by any means but he still laid his hands on an official so should have been off the pitch straight away.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,657 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

I went over to Kingscourt on Fri night to meet some friends. Attended the Itermediate C/ship game Cootehill v Bailieboro. Was not impressed with Argue at all. Big but not too strong yet. He was easily curtailed by Hayes and McCutcheon and apart from a few frees he made little impact on the game. He needs to toughen up a lot before he would make a county midfielder in my opinion. The game was poor too. Hayes and Mc Cutcheon were the stars.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭Crash Bang Wall

I think it's a bad time for a game to be still going on tbh. That timeline when you are drifting out of daylight. Don't think it was the lights but rather just that the starting time should probably be half 7 and not 8. The lights don't really kick in until the darkness really hits.

In regard to the ref, Tbh I have been at 3 championship games so far (Gaels Lacken, Redhills Castlerahan and Lavey Crosserlough) and all three referees let alot go. I'm not sure what the point behind it is.

When players go to inter county games, they are going to be carded for tackles which the ref isn't even talking to them for in club games. Its led to some very scrappy passages of play. When players cop they have that little extra bit of tolerance from the ref, they tend to go for it.

It's been a problem for a while now. Referees need to demand respect more in the county. I was at a Division 1 league game a few years back where a player pushed over the referee and only got a yellow. And I don't mean knocked in to him by mistake or anything, I mean physically pushed him over. Now, not hard by any means but he still laid his hands on an official so should have been off the pitch straight away.

Its inconsistency as well. At the start of the second half a Castlerahan defender had his back to goal about 40 yards out and gave his man(in front) a little push.....he gets a yellow. Than about four mins later she gives a free to Castlerahan where a Redhills player led with his elbow....She pointed to her elbow, and gave a free but no card. Surely leading with an elbow is at least a yellow card offence at any level?

Argue looked very comfortable when he came on against Derry and Kerry, remember he's only 19 and has another 2 years left at U21 level. Was Tom Hayes playing? What did you make of him?

I went over to Kingscourt on Fri night to meet some friends. Attended the Itermediate C/ship game Cootehill v Bailieboro. Was not impressed with Argue at all. Big but not too strong yet. He was easily curtailed by Hayes and McCutcheon and apart from a few frees he made little impact on the game. He needs to toughen up a lot before he would make a county midfielder in my opinion. The game was poor too. Hayes and Mc Cutcheon were the stars.

Club football is poor in Cavan. There's no disputing it. The three senior games I've been to have all been dogged, scrappy affairs very low on quality play.

The referees aren't helping by allowing cynical play go unpunished tbh. I saw a straight clothes line on someone the other evening and only a yellow card was given for example.

If you want a barometer of our club football look at the hammering the county champions Mullahoran took last year off the Tyrone champions. For me, it showed the lack of quality that Mullahoran even won the senior championship.

Club football is poor in Cavan. There's no disputing it. The three senior games I've been to have all been dogged, scrappy affairs very low on quality play.

The referees aren't helping by allowing cynical play go unpunished tbh. I saw a straight clothes line on someone the other evening and only a yellow card was given for example.

If you want a barometer of our club football look at the hammering the county champions Mullahoran took last year off the Tyrone champions. For me, it showed the lack of quality that Mullahoran even won the senior championship.

It is poor and this year already is shaping up to be poor - was at the Gaels/Lacken and Ballinagh/ Drumalee games and both were tough to watch. The sooner the county board bite the bullet and go with the new championship format the better - needs a major shake up if we are to compete in Ulster.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,657 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Cavan seems to have far too many teams. I think you need a good many amalgamations to strengthen and raise the standard but this could be said for a lot of counties.

Cavan seems to have far too many teams. I think you need a good many amalgamations to strengthen and raise the standard but this could be said for a lot of counties.

Yep only Laois and Leitrim have more senior clubs per head of population. There is a plan on ice to lower the number of senior clubs and allow for amalgamations of clubs to play senior championship but county board got windy about it and its been deferred with any club allowed this year to enter the senior championship - which is why you will see some serious uncompetitive stuff.

Yep only Laois and Leitrim have more senior clubs per head of population. There is a plan on ice to lower the number of senior clubs and allow for amalgamations of clubs to play senior championship but county board got windy about it and its been deferred with any club allowed this year to enter the senior championship - which is why you will see some serious uncompetitive stuff.

There could have been amalgamations this year but no clubs were interested. What can you do if the clubs don't want it.

There could have been amalgamations this year but no clubs were interested. What can you do if the clubs don't want it.

Of course they weren't interested when it was put as "anyone can enter the senior championship this year in your own right but you are also free to form an amalgamation and enter the senior championship"

What needs to be said to clubs is that there will be four guaranteed senior championship positions for next years championship and a further four, based on the league positions (at least that way the league might be competitive again) and anyone else who wishes to enter must form an amalgamation but can still play junior or intermediate in their own right.

Of course they weren't interested when it was put as "anyone can enter the senior championship this year in your own right but you are also free to form an amalgamation and enter the senior championship"

That is not a new thing any club could always apply to play in whatever championship they want.

• Advertisement

That is not a new thing any club could always apply to play in whatever championship they want.

:confused::confused: - No you had to qualify to be a senior club surely??

Advertisement