Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Official Cavan GAA Discussion thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,593 ✭✭✭DoctaDee

Interesting to see Cian Mackey getting ready to tie the yellow ribbon round the 'ol oak tree lads..

http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-football/i-would-welcome-class-act-johnston-back-into-cavan-fold-insists-mackey-29479299.html

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

DoctaDee wrote: »
    Interesting to see Cian Mackey getting ready to tie the yellow ribbon round the 'ol oak tree lads..

http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-football/i-would-welcome-class-act-johnston-back-into-cavan-fold-insists-mackey-29479299.html

Worth remembering here is that Mackey wasn't a member of the panel when Johnston played against them last year. He was one of the players dropped with Johnston in November 2011.

So, not only is he personal friends with Johnston as he states, he may also be somewhat sympathetic to the situation Johnston found himself in when told he wasn't required.

Lemlin wrote: »
    .........So, not only is he personal friends with Johnston as he states, he may also be somewhat sympathetic to the situation Johnston found himself in when told he wasn't required.

That's true .. furthermore he burst his bangers to get back into the Cavan set up ... I think he was one match short of an All Star myself

• Registered Users Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭celt262

He might not want to play for Cavan again anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭cavan4sam

which code would he hope to play ? i know the hurling is getting stronger in cavan so he will have to improve to make that panel :P

• Advertisement

DoctaDee wrote: »
    That's true .. furthermore he burst his bangers to get back into the Cavan set up ... I think he was one match short of an All Star myself

He was all set to go to Australia and was approached by Terry. It was a masterstroke when you look back at the season he has had.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

I'm not sure lads - I have a sense (and that's all it is) that the management team and county board are checking the waters to see what kind of reaction a Johnston return would get. It is inevitable that he will appear in the county championship for the Gaels this year and that might tell a lot as to the chance of him getting the nod for the league.

Tom Joad wrote: »
    I'm not sure lads - I have a sense (and that's all it is) that the management team and county board are checking the waters to see what kind of reaction a Johnston return would get. It is inevitable that he will appear in the county championship for the Gaels this year and that might tell a lot as to the chance of him getting the nod for the league.

I think you are totally wrong, they got rid for a reason and what he has done since and what Cavan have achieved has shown they were right.

Tom Joad wrote: »

The latest I'm hearing is that he plans to transfer back to the Gaels but remain a Kildare player. I honestly think that would be the best move for everyone.

It'll end the current talk about whether Terry should pick him or not and allow Cavan to continue with their momentum.

I presume there's nothing to stop him playing in Cavan but representing Kildare? Players like McGeeney himself did it for years in Dublin with Na Fianna.

The latest I'm hearing is that he plans to transfer back to the Gaels but remain a Kildare player. I honestly think that would be the best move for everyone.

It'll end the current talk about whether Terry should pick him or not and allow Cavan to continue with their momentum.

I presume there's nothing to stop him playing in Cavan but representing Kildare? Players like McGeeney himself did it for years in Dublin with Na Fianna.

Don't know if that is within the rules, it would be if Kildare was his native county. Fair play for him for wanting to warm the bench for Kildare for another year it must really make the journeys up and down worthwhile.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,860 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

<snip>
    possibly not within the rules:
    http://www.gaa.ie/content/documents/publications/official_guides/official-guide-2013-part1.pdf (page 75)

to paraphrase, you can play for the county of your "own club" which is your current club OR the county of your first club.

So Seanie, a native of Cavan, could be living in Kildare and play for a Kildare club and play for Cavan.
    If Seanie, a native of Cavan moved back to Cavan town and plays for the gaels then his current and first club is the Gaels so can ONLY play for Cavan.
    Should he remain "living" (ahem) in Kildare and transfer back to the Gaels, which is allowed, then his current AND first club still is the Gaels meaning he is still only eligible for Cavan as he has no club link to Kildare.

Theres small loopholes with regards to being in both a hurling and football club if your football club has no hurling unit (so you mght suggest he transfer to the gaels for football but remain in Kildare for Hurling) but from the rules "An Inter-County Transfer involves transfer for all codes and activities at Club level" so Seanie the Hurler also transfers to the Gaels and will need to find another outlet for those hurling talents either with the Gaels or locally to that club in Cavan town.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

I can't honestly see too many Kildare people being happy with Seanie playing for the Gaels and then playing county for Kildare - even if it was within the rules..

No surprises last night as the Gaels beat Lacken 3-6 to 7 points. Chesty Reilly, Martin Dunne and Barry Fortune with the goals.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭Crash Bang Wall

Worth remembering here is that Mackey wasn't a member of the panel when Johnston played against them last year. He was one of the players dropped with Johnston in November 2011.

So, not only is he personal friends with Johnston as he states, he may also be somewhat sympathetic to the situation Johnston found himself in when told he wasn't required.

He was honest in the interview but press only picked up bits of it. Said he was mates with Jelly and played with him coming up through the grades etc, but also said it was was up to Terry whether to pick him or, and he would welcome him back if selected.

Something else....are any of our players worthy of consideration for Compromise Rules panel?

I see Alan O'Mara is following Keating down to the big smoke (well he's already here :D), and will play with OP/ER, he'll have Michael Brides to keep him company

• Registered Users Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭willabur

H
    Something else....are any of our players worthy of consideration for Compromise Rules panel?

Given the game is in Breffni you would imagine there would be a be some involvement.
    Givney would be an obvious inclusion, maybe Keating too. I think Killian Clarke would be well fit for it also. After that you could look to Mackey who dominated the u-17 international rules when he played

He was honest in the interview but press only picked up bits of it. Said he was mates with Jelly and played with him coming up through the grades etc, but also said it was was up to Terry whether to pick him or, and he would welcome him back if selected.

Keating and Givney will definitely get the call I reckon. Alan Clarke may also.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,742 ✭✭✭blackbelt

Lads very quickly, who is the current goalkeeper for Cavan?

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭KeepTheFaith

Alan O'Meara from Baileboro.

Alan O'Meara from Baileboro.

I'd see it as Gilsenen. O'Meara only got his game due to Gilsenen's injury.

When both were fit, Gilsenen played.

• Advertisement

I'd see it as Gilsenen. O'Meara only got his game due to Gilsenen's injury.

When both were fit, Gilsenen played.

It's not certain either way.. Would Gilsenan have got his chance for the Seniors if O'Meara hadn't broken his hand? Hard to say who Terry see's as his number 1 but as it is, Alan was in goals for the last two game so he'd our Keeper.

It's not certain either way.. Would Gilsenan have got his chance for the Seniors if O'Meara hadn't broken his hand? Hard to say who Terry see's as his number 1 but as it is, Alan was in goals for the last two game so he'd our Keeper.

Only O'Mara got Injured Gilsenan would never have been on the panel in first place. Of course alot has changed since.

When both were fit and available though, Gilsenen was preferred.

When was that?

When was that?

From the Armagh game through to the Fermanagh game where Gilsenen got injured.

O'Meara was on the bench and Gilsenen started each championship game until Gilsenen's injury.

On a different note, anyone attended any championship games to date? I' hearing that Jack Brady was very impressive for Ramor starting at 15 in the corner last weekend.

I was impressed with the ball he won when he came on against Kerry. I'm starting to think the people who say he needs to start closer into the goal in the full forward line could be correct.

O'Meara was on the bench and Gilsenen started each championship game until Gilsenen's injury.

On a different note, anyone attended any championship games to date? I' hearing that Jack Brady was very impressive for Ramor starting at 15 in the corner last weekend.

I was impressed with the ball he won when he came on against Kerry. I'm starting to think the people who say he needs to start closer into the goal in the full forward line could be correct.

Controversial I know, but I would rather either Brady or McDermott in the FF line ahead of Dunne. I just think thyey work harder for the dirty ball and are a better outlet. Dunne was annonymous for the most part against Kerry Monaghan and Derry. IMO of course

Was Gilsenan fit for the Kerry game?

Was Gilsenan fit for the Kerry game?

Nope. He was sitting with the team but James Farrelly was sub keeper.

Gilsenen was on crutches at Derry game and Kerry game was only two weeks later.

O'Mara wasn't even on the panel for the Armagh game.

As far as i would see it O'Mara had the jersey and was the number 1 keeper. He got Injured and then James Reilly got the Jersey and Gilsenan was brought in as Cover. Gilsenan did not even want to be part of the Senior set up this year and had to be begged to come in (he told me this himself). Management then decided that Gilsenan was the better option and he got the jersey for the championship, then he got injured and O'Mara got it back.

I would think that both of them will get some game time in the league next year.

On another note try and get the spelling of the guys names right !!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭willabur

miaow

Advertisement