Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Official Cavan GAA Discussion thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭breffni666

Sorry now but what are you on about? At what point were we convinced that anything had changed significantly in Cavan football, and especially at club level? Mullahorn took a hammering and just like last year where the Gaels were beaten by the worst Club team in Ulster, it shows that we are at the bottom of the pile.
    I hope you are being sarcastic when you ask have we tried everything, we have tried virtually nothing! Small tweaks in the format here and there but nothing significant.
    The reality is that the first real attempt to improve club football in Cavan (and provide support to the good work done at the county development squads) is the changes coming in next year. And already we are hearing whispers that the clubs are ready to revolt in order to regain senior status!!
    The same clubs won't even send representatives to coaching conferences and training days...

Some Cavan people need a massive reality check, the sense of expectation based on what is a relatively small amount of success in the past 2 years is extraordinary. People already talking as if Terry must deliver promotion next year or he is under pressure, with a Div 3 that will contain Antrim, Meath and Monaghan?? Complete and utter madness.

There are green shoots appearing, U21 success, Minor Success, St. Pats return to competitiveness. But these are nothing more than small signs of hope and a massive amount of continued effort is needed if we are to become a half decent senior side, as is PATIENCE from the Gaels of Cavan.

Changing the senior championship wont improve standards. People are deluded. They think they have the players of the required standard-its the championship that's wrong. This is wrong. Yes bar the recent, fleeting, success for minor and u21 sides the standard of football remains pitifully poor. The work needs to be done at juvenile level. I agree with an earlier post about how clubs don't support Ulster coaching initiatives to improve the quality of juvenile football. If the clubs cant be bothered then why bother at all! 2013 will be a difficult year. I can accept difficult years if I thought the standard was improving but it is not unfortunately. How much patience do Cavan people need to show, 2 ulsters in 45 years shows a lot of patience. Much like our economy maybe outsiders might have better solutions than our own?

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭Hammar

breffni666 wrote: »
    Changing the senior championship wont improve standards. People are deluded. They think they have the players of the required standard-its the championship that's wrong. This is wrong. Yes bar the recent, fleeting, success for minor and u21 sides the standard of football remains pitifully poor. The work needs to be done at juvenile level. I agree with an earlier post about how clubs don't support Ulster coaching initiatives to improve the quality of juvenile football. If the clubs cant be bothered then why bother at all! 2013 will be a difficult year. I can accept difficult years if I thought the standard was improving but it is not unfortunately. How much patience do Cavan people need to show, 2 ulsters in 45 years shows a lot of patience. Much like our economy maybe outsiders might have better solutions than our own?

The amalgamations next year will allow the likes of the following to play Senior Club Championship football

Barry McKiernan,Paul McEvoy,Dara McVeety(Crosserlough)
    John McCutcheon,Dean Connolly,Enda Hessin,Joshua Hayes(Cootehill)
    Ciaran Galligan,James Reily,Barry Watters(Drung)
    Sean McCormack,Kevin Tierney,Ray Cullivan(Ballyhaise)
    Fergal Flanagan(Buttlersbridge)
    Paddy King,Declan McKiernan,Darragh Tighe,Thomas Reily(K'Shandra)
    Gearoid McKiernan,Michael Curran(Swad)
    Dane O Dowd(Drumlane)
    David Givney(Mountnugent)
    That is just a fraction of the good footballers whom have never played in the Senior club Championship in the county that will get an oppertunity to compete at the highest level of cluvb football within the county.

It will also improve the level of competition in the senior championship.
    Under the present system,You could see for a quick example Killygarry,Drumalee,Ballyhaise amalgamate,
    It would leave you with a team such as

Paddy Galligan(Killygarry)
    Fergal Slowey(Ballyhaise)
    Eoin Smith(Killygarry)
    Enda McCormack(Drumalee)
    Barry Kelly(Ballyhaise)
    Pauric Cahill(K'Garry)
    Sean McCormack(Ballyhaise)
    Donal Thomas(Killygarry)
    Ray Cullivan(Ballyhaise)
    Martin Reily(Killygarry)
    Brendan Murray(Killygarry)
    Kevin Donohoe(Drumalee)
    Kevin Tierney(Ballyhaise)
    Darragh Gaffney(Drumalee)
    Michael Brennan(Drumalee)

That team if it could gel together would be stronger than the majority of senior club teams in the county.
    It would lead to a more competitive senior championship and it will force all the stand alone senior clubs to take their game to a higher level because they would be up against quality opposition in every game.
    How anyone could think that the likes of David Givney/Gearoid McKiernan could not benefit by playing more quality games in club football is beyond me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

The current structure for the senior championship simply doesn't work and hasn't done for some time. The last time Cavan football produced a competitive team in Ulster was Kingscourt in the late 80's/ 90's when they reached two Ulster Club finals - since then the club championship has got worse every year so something had to change.

The new system has to be given a chance to work and a decent chance over 5 years - as clubs see this is the way forward they will be forced to work with it.

I agree with Hammar re the importance of allowing players who wouldn't normally have the chance to play senior football - this can only be a good thing for the standard of football in Cavan. I read recently that only Laois and Leitrim have more senior clubs per head of population - that's crazy..

Will probably be slated by some for saying this but at the minute as I see it there are only 4 teams with the resources to play senior football as a stand alone entity - the rest should amalgamate but can play intermediate/ junior championship with their own clubs.. this can only be a step forward..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭Bummer1234

Just have a quick question on Kingspan and there sponsorship with Breffini park, did they renew the contract this year as I was reading on the cavangaa website that it was a 10 year deal signed in 2002?

http://www.cavangaa.ie/kingspan-breffni-park.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,131 ✭✭✭cavan4sam

well done to st pats last night , from what i hear it was a great performance from a very talented side ,

• Registered Users Posts: 7,865 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

cavan4sam wrote: »
    well done to st pats last night , from what i hear it was a great performance from a very talented side ,
    further more, well done to them for winning the Rannafast Cup at emmyvale against omagh CBS
    (where co-incidentally the only time I ever played was for St Pats against omagh - and we beat them that day too!!)

anyhow, heres a few small videos
    http://www.ulstercollegesgaa.org/general/rannafast-joy-for-cavan-video/

here's a small video highlight and the cup presentation.
    http://www.ulstercollegesgaa.org/general/cavan-win-new-danske-bank-rannafast-cup/

further more, well done to them for winning the Rannafast Cup at emmyvale against omagh CBS
    (where co-incidentally the only time I ever played was for St Pats against omagh - and we beat them that day too!!)

anyhow, heres a few small videos
    http://www.ulstercollegesgaa.org/general/rannafast-joy-for-cavan-video/

here's a small video highlight and the cup presentation.
    http://www.ulstercollegesgaa.org/general/cavan-win-new-danske-bank-rannafast-cup/

Thanks for sharing munchkin - nice to see Pats doing well again - I know is hard to judge from a highlights video but the number 8 seems like a handy midfielder - who is he??

• Registered Users Posts: 7,865 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

Tom Joad wrote: »
    Thanks for sharing munchkin - nice to see Pats doing well again - I know is hard to judge from a highlights video but the number 8 seems like a handy midfielder - who is he??
    don't know but he got away with an obvious double hop and a heap of steps in between for one of his points!

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Gallant_JJ

Thomas Galligan from Lacken, very good player, only really came into the game in the last 15 minutes. His midfield partner, David Brady was also very goo, albeit in a more defensive role. Great game of football with some excellent scores. Best player on the field was the St Pat's centre back, Cian McManus, who is from Teemore.

• Advertisement

don't know but he got away with an obvious double hop and a heap of steps in between for one of his points!

Small details man - its only a foul if you are caught :D

Gallant_JJ wrote: »
    Thomas Galligan from Lacken, very good player, only really came into the game in the last 15 minutes. His midfield partner, David Brady was also very goo, albeit in a more defensive role. Great game of football with some excellent scores. Best player on the field was the St Pat's centre back, Cian McManus, who is from Teemore.

I wonder if he is related to Raymond so?? I've often heard the older generation say that when Pats do well Cavan do well so here's hoping.

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Gallant_JJ

Now that, I have no idea. I did see Ray at the game, but that means nothing, there was a fairly substantial crowd at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,814 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

I wonder if he is related to Raymond so??
    Cousins afaik. Thomas is Jimmys (the ref) son, big brother James was starting midfield for Lacken this year and him fresh out of minors.

So what's the view on the U-turn on the Quinn report and the restructured championship folks?

I'm pulling my hair out in furstration to be honest and if this is the way the county board are going to run things we are doomed for the foreseeable future..

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭Hammar

Team for tonight's game with Armagh in the Athletic Grounds.

James Reilly.
    Oisin Minagh, Killian Brady, Damian Barkey.
    Padraic Reilly, Alan Clarke, John McCutcheon.
    Tomas Corr, Gearoid McKiernan.
    Damien O'Reilly, Declan McKiernan, Mark McKeever.
    Cian Mackey, Martin Dunne, Niall McDermott.

For those of you whom are based far way,the match will be streamed live tonight at 7 via
    http://www.armaghgaa.net/armaghtv/

Excellent result for Cavan tonight - 3-9 to 1-11 to Cavan.. follows a good display against Down after a poor start..

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

Well done Cavan great result for ye...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Is Martin Dunne a new player or do I just not remember him being mentioned in the past? As good as his last couple of performances would suggest?

He's actually been around for a while - he's 5 or 6 years out of minor and has been scoring for fun for his club Cavan Gaels for a long while - unfortunately a certain Seanie Johnston was playing in his favourite position at both county and club level. He was a part of the Cavan Junior team that reached the all-ireland semi's last year (lost to Kerry) - he scored heavily in the McKenna cup last year as well.

This has to be the year he makes the breakthrough at county level - in my view he has all the ability that is needed just needs to back himself more at times. But plenty of footballers can look good in January - we'll judge him in June or July I think. But honestly has the ability and in my view is better than Seanie.

With himself, Eugene Keating and Bud Fitzpatrick, Givney and Gearoid Mc Kiernan chipping in from midfield and Mackey back in form and Jack Brady to come in Cavan have plenty of scoring options and I'm starting to get more optimistic about our chances this year..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭KeepTheFaith

He's actually been around for a while - he's 5 or 6 years out of minor and has been scoring for fun for his club Cavan Gaels for a long while - unfortunately a certain Seanie Johnston was playing in his favourite position at both county and club level. He was a part of the Cavan Junior team that reached the all-ireland semi's last year (lost to Kerry) - he scored heavily in the McKenna cup last year as well.

This has to be the year he makes the breakthrough at county level - in my view he has all the ability that is needed just needs to back himself more at times. But plenty of footballers can look good in January - we'll judge him in June or July I think. But honestly has the ability and in my view is better than Seanie.

With himself, Eugene Keating and Bud Fitzpatrick, Givney and Gearoid Mc Kiernan chipping in from midfield and Mackey back in form and Jack Brady to come in Cavan have plenty of scoring options and I'm starting to get more optimistic about our chances this year..

Dunne would have been U21 in 2010 when we reached the Ulster Final but left the panel after not getting his place. He made his debut v Donegal last year in the McKenna Cup coming on at half time and kicking 5 points. He scored well in the league but has a tendency to take wild shots and his shot selection needs work. If he is to be our free taker he also needs to be more consistent. Hopefully he can continue progressing.

Keating still has a lot of maturing to do as a player, another lad fond of hollywood shots from almost impossible angles. One thing separating the top sides is their shot selection. Still though he is still very young.

Bud Fitzpatrick is in Australia by the way.

Dunne would have been U21 in 2010 when we reached the Ulster Final but left the panel after not getting his place. He made his debut v Donegal last year in the McKenna Cup coming on at half time and kicking 5 points. He scored well in the league but has a tendency to take wild shots and his shot selection needs work. If he is to be our free taker he also needs to be more consistent. Hopefully he can continue progressing.

Keating still has a lot of maturing to do as a player, another lad fond of hollywood shots from almost impossible angles. One thing separating the top sides is their shot selection. Still though he is still very young.

Bud Fitzpatrick is in Australia by the way.

Yeah Dunne is a way of the finished article but definitely has the potential as does Keating but agree re shot selection - they need more game time and hopefully will get a good run in the league.

Is Bud due back or is he gone long term? - shame to lose him..

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭augustus gloop

losing bud is no harm he was nowhere near IC. dunne fell out with hyland in the past hence him not being on past panels

think that's a bit harsh on Bud to be honest.

What was the falling out between Dunne and Hyland about?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭celt262

think that's a bit harsh on Bud to be honest.

What was the falling out between Dunne and Hyland about?

I would agree that Bud isn't a county standard player.

Dunne though he was to good to sit on the bench and left the panel. I don't
    know if there was an actually falling out i think he just left panel and didn't go back, Hyland had enough good players so he didn't go chasing after him to come back.

celt262 wrote: »
    I would agree that Bud isn't a county standard player.

Dunne though he was to good to sit on the bench and left the panel. I don't
    know if there was an actually falling out i think he just left panel and didn't go back, Hyland had enough good players so he didn't go chasing after him to come back.

Not the first time we've disagreed about wether a player is county standard or not.. :D

Re Dunne - I hope that that's a sign that he's matured a bit and can only be a good thing..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

But honestly has the ability and in my view is better than Seanie
    Dunne would have been U21 in 2010 when we reached the Ulster Final but left the panel after not getting his place.

Sorry but these two statements don't add up, how can a guy who couldn't make the u21 team be considered to be a better player than Seanie Johnston -or are we letting our personal feelings on Seanie cloud out judgement Tom??

Sorry but these two statements don't add up, how can a guy who couldn't make the u21 team be considered to be a better player than Seanie Johnston -or are we letting our personal feelings on Seanie cloud out judgement Tom??

Of course they don't add up -its different posters giving opinions on players - makes for good discussion and debate.

There is a whole history to why some people get picked or not by the manager- again a subjective view- and Cavan football has a lot of politics involved in it esp when it comes to Cavan Gaels players but that's a whole different debate.

Let not revisit the whole Seanie Saga but to be clear my personal feelings on Seanie Johnston are well know around these parts and I have always been consistent with them... Seanie Johnston is a wonderfully talented footballer who on his day could be unplayable - unfortunately when the big day came, he didn't deliver - he was perceived as a disruptive influence by the Cavan management team at the time (that's a managers perogative) and was not part of that management teams plan. I never wished him ill because of this and have always said that Seanie leaving Cavan was good for Cavan football in its totality , I hope its good for Seanie in the longrun and Kildare might benefit so good luck to him and Kildare - end-off. No bitterness - Seanie now plays for Kildare - good luck to him and them.

I have seen Seanie Johnston play a lot over the years so consider myself qualified to give an opinion on him as a footballer - I've seen Martin Dunne play over the years from Minor to club games and recently with the county team. I stand by my view that he is, based on natural ability, better than Seanie Johnston - that's not bitterness or a vendetta etc - that's how I see it.

If you look at the post where I made that assertion you will also see that to contextualise that statement, I also said that plenty of players can look good in January - we will judge him in the summer after the championship. But yes I am of the view that Martin Dunne could become one of our greats based on ability - other Cavan posters however pointed to falling outs with past managers so we will see how he develops.

Bottom line - I will call players ability, potential etc as I see it - argue it out with me by all means but don't accuse me of letting any supposed personal feelings about Seanie Johnston cloud my judgement.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

Of course they don't add up -its different posters giving opinions on players - makes for good discussion and debate.

There is a whole history to why some people get picked or not by the manager- again a subjective view- and Cavan football has a lot of politics involved in it esp when it comes to Cavan Gaels players but that's a whole different debate.

Let not revisit the whole Seanie Saga but to be clear my personal feelings on Seanie Johnston are well know around these parts and I have always been consistent with them... Seanie Johnston is a wonderfully talented footballer who on his day could be unplayable - unfortunately when the big day came, he didn't deliver - he was perceived as a disruptive influence by the Cavan management team at the time (that's a managers perogative) and was not part of that management teams plan. I never wished him ill because of this and have always said that Seanie leaving Cavan was good for Cavan football in its totality , I hope its good for Seanie in the longrun and Kildare might benefit so good luck to him and Kildare - end-off. No bitterness - Seanie now plays for Kildare - good luck to him and them.

I have seen Seanie Johnston play a lot over the years so consider myself qualified to give an opinion on him as a footballer - I've seen Martin Dunne play over the years from Minor to club games and recently with the county team. I stand by my view that he is, based on natural ability, better than Seanie Johnston - that's not bitterness or a vendetta etc - that's how I see it.

If you look at the post where I made that assertion you will also see that to contextualise that statement, I also said that plenty of players can look good in January - we will judge him in the summer after the championship. But yes I am of the view that Martin Dunne could become one of our greats based on ability - other Cavan posters however pointed to falling outs with past managers so we will see how he develops.

Bottom line - I will call players ability, potential etc as I see it - argue it out with me by all means but don't accuse me of letting any supposed personal feelings about Seanie Johnston cloud my judgement.

Thanks for the very detailed response, firstly it is not different posters giving different opinions, one was an opinion and one was a fact and I meerely pointed out the two were contradictary.

And secondly I did not accuse you of anything I asked a question which you have answered, and answered very well I might add.

I would still be absolutely astonished if Martin Dunne turns out to be a better player than Seanie Johnston but as you said that is a matter of opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭celt262

It wasn't that he couldn't make the U21 championship team as far as i remember he had quit earlier in the year. Terry was trying out players in Hasting Cup and challenge matches as he is entitled to do as he needs to look at players to see would they be ready to come in case of injury's etc.

The lad felt he wasn't get enough game time and left the panel which was silly in his case as he was one of the top forwards in the county at that level and would have been starting come championship.

I wouldnt compare him with Johnston yet though, Dunne is alot older than Johnston was when he first started playing for Cavan.

Advertisement