Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Official Cavan GAA Discussion thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭Hammar

Lemlin wrote: »
    I think there's no questioning that Seanie will be left out of the Kildare panel. The one thing this match will do is help to get people interested in the team again, 5,000 fans yesterday from both sets of supporters was a poor showing. People need to get behind our young players and show them support.

Had an interesting look at yesterday's team. Now, some of the ages could be wrong (James Reilly's, Corr's and Damien Reilly's in particular) but the others are right I think. So we only had 3 players out of 15 over the age of 25 on the pitch yesterday. Even so-called seasoned players like Podge and Ronan Flanagan are still quite young.

Cavan -- J Reilly - over 30;
    D Tighe - 22,
    K Clarke - 18,
    P O'Reilly - 25;
    M McKeever 28,
    F Flanagan - 20,
    D Reilly - 23/24;
    D Givney - 23,
    T Corr - 28;
    N Smith - 22,
    G McKiernan - 22,
    R Flanagan - 25;
    N McDermott - 21,
    E Keating - 23,
    J Brady - 20.

Average age : 23.4

Subs: K Tierney - 18,
    J McLoughlin - 19,
    D McKiernan - 23,
    K Meehan - 22,

Average age of team and subs: 22.78

I don't think Corr is 28,but it just illustrated the youth/inexperience in the panel.
    I think the average age of the Donegal panel we played this year was over 27, so we were giving up on average 4+ years of strength and conditioning work and hard training per player.
    I hope we can go out and give Kildare a good rattle in two weeks time.
    We probably aren't at the stage of our development whereby we can realistically expect to get anything from the game,but it will be a good test for the lads all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,854 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

It was interesting to hear Val Andrews on Radio 1 yesterday and it links in to the introduction of all the new players.
    He wouldn't be drawn on the reasons why Seanie was left out of the panel but pointed out there was something like 6 others who also didn't get the call up so it wasnt a Seanie vendetta or anything.

He later said that he was asked by the county board, before his last stint as manager began, to clear out the panel along with tacking discipline and motivation issues (if i remember the formulation of words right).
    The way it was put left little doubt that the county board wanted him to be as ruthless as necessary.

Its a roundabout confirmation right from the centre of former Cavan management of what many here from Cavan have said BUT folks from outside the county couldn't quite grasp nor believe, that even amongst the county's so called best and senior players there was something amiss in the team spirit and commitment department.
    EDIT: here's the programme to listen again : http://www.rte.ie/sport/player/809/327378/

I amnt expecting miracles from the young Cavan team but so long as they dont experience stage fright like the U21 team in Croker last year they should be a good sparring partner for Kildare even if they mightn't come out the winner the other end of it.

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Anyone have any news on David Givney's injury?
    Seemingly he should be ok for the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,401 ✭✭✭celt262

cournioni wrote: »
    Seemingly he should be ok for the game.

He was poor yesterday hopefully he will be back and ups his game because we wil need him

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭Greenngold

How did John McCutcheon get on with Cootehill last night Celt Man?

The Div1 league is looking very interesting, with 7 teams going down every game is a battle. The likes of Ballinagh are in 10th place

• Advertisement

Greenngold wrote: »
    How did John McCutcheon get on with Cootehill last night Celt Man?

The Div1 league is looking very interesting, with 7 teams going down every game is a battle. The likes of Ballinagh are in 10th place

I am not Celt Man :)

He played the whole game as a wing half forward and got at least one point. I wasnt at it but was told he had a good game. I dont know if he will be involved for the Kildare game it might be a bit soon for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭muincav

Hard luck to Cootehill Celtic hurling club representing Cavan in the Feile Na nGael All Ireland Final today, beaten by Setanta Ballymun 1-4 to 1-3 only by a bad decision by an umpire who gave a goal that was CLEARLY 2-3 feet away from the line,...even the Setanta players didnt think it was in and the ref didnt see it either-but a great achievement to get to the final for Cootehill players, coaches and mentors. Well done lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭cavan4sam

disappointing result but not unexpected , kind of glad this year is over as at least next year hyland can start fresh

good luck to seanie and kildare also to clare who are managed by a shercock man

• Registered Users Posts: 10,206 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

Best of luck to Cavan lads!! I'll be watching your under 21s and minors to see the talent a lot of people are talking About!!!

Btw mates said breffni was a lovely ground and a tribute to cavan

I might visit u up there soon for a goo at the grounds :)

Best of luck to Cavan lads!! I'll be watching your under 21s and minors to see the talent a lot of people are talking About!!!

Btw mates said breffni was a lovely ground and a tribute to cavan

I might visit u up there soon for a goo at the grounds :)

Its one off the best county grounds in the country, probably could do with a bigger covered stand though but great view of the field from everywhere inside the ground.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

celt262 wrote: »
    Its one off the best county grounds in the country, probably could do with a bigger covered stand though but great view of the field from everywhere inside the ground.

One of the few county grounds with facilities for every game under the GAA umbrella along with Armagh I think.

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Great spot for spectators alright. The pitch is crap when its wet though. It would pull the legs off you.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Very disappointing result yesterday. I didn't expect a win by any stretch of the imagination but I was hoping for a better performance. I'm a fan of Hyland and think he should be given his 4 or 5 years but the tactics just didn't work out yesterday. Players seemed to be switching off all over the place and the team was disjointed.

At one stage, David Givney ran into the full forward line and it appeared that he was going to work a two man full forward line with Keating. A couple of minutes later though, and without a ball even going in, he was gone off down the pitch again. Niall Smith did well running at Kildare but he didn't track Emmet Bolton back and Bolton had a hand in each of the goals. I would have expected that a defensive minded half forward would have been put on Bolton.

I can't understand why Killian Clarke, an 18 year old fresh out of minor, was left to mark Tommy O'Connor. What was the reasoning behind moving Padraig O'Reilly from full back? O'Connor roasted Clarke the entire game and Clarke was fortunate O'Reilly got back and took O'Connor down for a free when he was running straight through at one stage. McKeever not starting was surprising as well.

Next year we're in Division 3 with Sligo, Antrim and Meath, all of whom are still in the championship. It's not going to get any easier quickly and the best we can hope for is to consolidate our position in that division by the look of it.

At one stage, David Givney ran into the full forward line and it appeared that he was going to work a two man full forward line with Keating. A couple of minutes later though, and without a ball even going in, he was gone off down the pitch again.

He was running after his man they were driving forward from everywhere on the pitch. At one stage a ball went in to Givney and it was broke away, within seconds the man that was marking Giviney had the ball at the half way line under the stand. As soon as the ball was broke he just sprinted forward they are super fit.

Niall Smith did well running at Kildare but he didn't track Emmet Bolton back and Bolton had a hand in each of the goals. I would have expected that a defensive minded half forward would have been put on Bolton.

Bolton likes to get forward and it would probably have suited better to have someone that would track him better. On Smith he has to work on his shooting from 25m+ if he is going to cut it at this level.

I can't understand why Killian Clarke, an 18 year old fresh out of minor, was left to mark Tommy O'Connor. What was the reasoning behind moving Padraig O'Reilly from full back?

Didnt make sence but did the selection of Tighe make sence either, i dont think that a player of his size can be a sucess at intercounty level.

McKeever not starting was surprising as well.

A lad with power, experience and a good footballing brain would have been an asset from the start yesterday.

Next year we're in Division 3 with Sligo, Antrim and Meath, all of whom are still in the championship. It's not going to get any easier quickly and the best we can hope for is to consolidate our position in that division by the look of it.
    Yeah wont be getting out of divison 3 in a hurry.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

In relation to Tighe, there's obviously a huge problem with the standard of the corner backs in the county. Andrews was playing players like Flanagan and Stephen Jordan there, lads who had never played the position even in club football, and Hyland doesn't seem to have much confidence in what's available either.

It's a pity Michael Hannon no longer plays intercounty. He was a great corner back.

From what's available, I'm surprised Damien Barkey didn't figure. He was one of the best players in the league games I saw and I thought he was hard done by not to start against Fermanagh or Kildare.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

Amazing result in the county championship today with Killygarry beating Cavan Gaels in the Quarter Finals - blows the championship wide open and should be a positive thing for Cavan football.

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Gallant_JJ

Will be great to see a new pairing in the county final all right. First time in 12 years the Gaels wont be participating in it.

Kingscourt would have to be favourites now. Apparently the could be got at as much as 4/1 only last week. I'm sure that has shortened considerably now.

Semis are:

Castlerahan v Kingscourt, Sat 15th @8
    Mullahoran v Killygarry, Sun 16th @4

Gallant_JJ wrote: »
    Will be great to see a new pairing in the county final all right. First time in 12 years the Gaels wont be participating in it.

Kingscourt would have to be favourites now. Apparently the could be got at as much as 4/1 only last week. I'm sure that has shortened considerably now.

Semis are:

Castlerahan v Kingscourt, Sat 15th @8
    Mullahoran v Killygarry, Sun 16th @4

I would fancy a Kingscourt v Mullahoran final just like the old days again. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭augustus gloop

jeasus i dont know tom, ill go the opposite for the crack! killygarry castlerahan!

seen killygarry v Cucus, if killygarry get a lead at all they defend in huge numbers kinda like donegal last year, and eoin smith will give eddie a good game.
    that along with castlerahan having the best FF line in the county.
    very interesting games never the less.

and mountnugent for the Junior:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,768 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

Mullahoran bet Killygarry by a point earlier in the Championship and have been strengthened by the return of players since then. Killygarry showed battling qualities you wouldnt normally associate with them to beat the Gaels and will need to match that to beat Mullahoran. Killygarry also left plenty of scores behind them last weekend (particularly in the first half) which they cant afford to do against Mullahoran. I saw Mullahoran play two Championship games this year, they played badly in both but won by a point in both, wouldnt be surprised to see something similar again.

Castlerahan looked very average against Belturbet the other day. Mackey in midfield drops back a lot and likes to pull the strings from there but is not as effective on the big field in Breffni as he is in Ballyjamesduff. One of the McConnell twins (the one that plays in the backs) will have his hands full with Joe Dillon so Castlerahan could lose his attacking threat. I think Kingscourt are more suited to the big pitch and will come through this one.

• Advertisement

jeasus i dont know tom, ill go the opposite for the crack! killygarry castlerahan!

seen killygarry v Cucus, if killygarry get a lead at all they defend in huge numbers kinda like donegal last year, and eoin smith will give eddie a good game.
    that along with castlerahan having the best FF line in the county.
    very interesting games never the less.

and mountnugent for the Junior:D

Nothing like being different:D isn't it great to have something to talk about in the championship this year.

Killygarry have already played their final against the gaels - Mullahoran won't take them lightly and just know how to win games when it matters. Was at the Ballinagh game and they never panicked they just ground it out.

Haven't seen much of castlerahan but while they are obviously a good side Kingscourt are the best balanced team left and again have the experience all over the park - With Wakely, Clarke, McCormack, Malone et al they have the knowhow to win and with Reilly, Tully and Dillon they have the class and talent.

But whatever happens should be a good final and hopefully whoever wins will have a decent crack at Ulster.

Pete_Cavan wrote: »
    Mullahoran bet Killygarry by a point earlier in the Championship and have been strengthened by the return of players since then. Killygarry showed battling qualities you wouldnt normally associate with them to beat the Gaels and will need to match that to beat Mullahoran. Killygarry also left plenty of scores behind them last weekend (particularly in the first half) which they cant afford to do against Mullahoran. I saw Mullahoran play two Championship games this year, they played badly in both but won by a point in both, wouldnt be surprised to see something similar again.

Castlerahan looked very average against Belturbet the other day. Mackey in midfield drops back a lot and likes to pull the strings from there but is not as effective on the big field in Breffni as he is in Ballyjamesduff. One of the McConnell twins (the one that plays in the backs) will have his hands full with Joe Dillon so Castlerahan could lose his attacking threat. I think Kingscourt are more suited to the big pitch and will come through this one.

Wouldn't disagree with anything there Pete.

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Gallant_JJ

Tis great to have something to talk about alright. I think generally the standard of football in the senior championship has been poor. The Gaels Killygarry game made up for it in excitement though. I was very disappointed with Ballinagh, really thought they would have pushed on from the last couple of years. Against Mullahoran I felt they panicked far to early. Serious breeze behind them, but they could never manage to get the right men on the ball in the right places. Eddie proved a great outlet for Mullahoran, if Killygarry can keep tabs on him, they are in with a shout. I'll go for a Killygarry Kingscourt final.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭Greenngold

I don't see why people rate Eoin Smith, has been talked up as the best full back in club football for a few years now and I have yet to see what thats about. Decent player but average at best, Killygarry/Mullahoran should be close, but i think Mullahoran will shade it. More attacking options now with Lynch and Enda Reilly back from the US.

On Joe Dillon, he plays midfield or had been before his suspension so Enda O Connell wouldn't be facing him. I'm not sure if Dillon will be in from the start agaisnt Castlerahan as his ban will only be up by then... could be more an impact sub role

As predicted its going to be a Kingscourt Mullahoran final..

While the opposition was poor and very one dimensional Kingscourt are starting to look like they are building a really good team and in Dudley Farrell have an excellent manager (even if he is a Meath man ;)). Kingscourt played some lovely football and have good pace coming from the back - I can't see Mullahoran getting close to them in the final.

While the Mullahoran Killygarry game got exciting near the end it was poor stuff on a perfect night for football and sums up the championship standard this year.

yeah Kingscourt very impressive and it seems like the final is a foregone conclusion but Mullahoran will be told between now and the final of their proud history so I cant see them giving anything but 100%

in relation to Eoin Smith, he is a v good fullback alright, but without running him down, Killygarrys style of football makes their FB line look good, its easier to keep a FF line scoreless when the opposition cant get the ball to them.

good luck to both teams in the final

Just heard this morning that county final is being moved back to September 30th as Paul Brady is playing handball on 7th October when final was originally fixed but can't find anything online about this - anyone know what the story is ???

• Registered Users Posts: 7,854 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

its on northern sound website now.
    The Management Committee of Cavan County Board GAA have tonight decided unanimously to reschedule the forthcoming Hotel Kilmore Senior Championship final between Mullahoran and Kingscourt Stars.

This game will now take place in Kingspan Breffni Park at 1.45pm on Sunday 30 September 2012 and will be preceded by a curtain raiser fixture. In the event of a draw, the replay will take place on Sunday 7 October at a time to be confirmed.

The decision to reschedule the County Senior Final has been taken in order to facilitate the current World Champion Handballer and Mullahoran footballer Paul Brady who is scheduled to compete in the World Handball Championships in Dublin next month.

The Hotel Kilmore Intermediate Championship final will now take place in Kingspan Breffni Park on Sunday 7 October 2012.

The Hotel Kilmore Junior Championship final will take place in Kingspan Breffni Park on Sunday 14 October 2012.
    http://www.northernsound.ie/sports-details.php?nid=2385

its a pity but Im sure kingscourt agreed to help out, with their strong handball tradition also, we should always help county reps do as well as they can esp someone like Paul

• Advertisement

its a pity but Im sure kingscourt agreed to help out, with their strong handball tradition also, we should always help county reps do as well as they can esp someone like Paul

Paul Brady and Michael Finnegan played together for years (with phenomenal success too) so don't think it would have been an issue for Kingscourt to be fair..

Advertisement