Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Official Cavan GAA Discussion thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,439 ✭✭✭celt262

Tom Joad wrote: »
    Not the first time we've disagreed about wether a player is county standard or not.. :D

And where is he now :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

Thanks for the very detailed response, firstly it is not different posters giving different opinions, one was an opinion and one was a fact and I meerely pointed out the two were contradictary.

Maybe i should have been clearer- what I meant was it was another poster's opinion on why he left. but let's not split hairs on this.
    And secondly I did not accuse you of anything I asked a question which you have answered, and answered very well I might add.

I didn't like the tone or the implication but maybe I flew off the handle a little. :)

I would still be absolutely astonished if Martin Dunne turns out to be a better player than Seanie Johnston but as you said that is a matter of opinion.
    Let's leave that one sitting there :D

celt262 wrote: »
    And where is he now :D

which one?? If I'm remebering correctly I think we differed on a few players :D

which one?? If I'm remebering correctly I think we differed on a few players :D

Cullivan was the main one :D

Cullivan was the main one :D

Think you are confusing me with someone else - Mad Eddie was the only one I can really remember..:)

• Advertisement

Think you are confusing me with someone else - Mad Eddie was the only one I can really remember..:)

Thats right you though he played well in the county final :pac:

Thats right you though he played well in the county final :pac:

Ah Eddie is a much maligned character but would still rather have him on my team that on the opposition team. Never the most graceful style of footballers but was a very effective player. I still stand over my comments that he had a good game both days - the poor Kingscourt lads hadn't a clue how to deal with him. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,131 ✭✭✭cavan4sam

RIP adrian donahue
    another great gael taken from us

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Thanks for the very detailed response, firstly it is not different posters giving different opinions, one was an opinion and one was a fact and I meerely pointed out the two were contradictary.

And secondly I did not accuse you of anything I asked a question which you have answered, and answered very well I might add.

I would still be absolutely astonished if Martin Dunne turns out to be a better player than Seanie Johnston but as you said that is a matter of opinion.
    Played against Dunnie on a few occasions, he is probably the most naturally gifted forward in Cavan and very much in the Johnston mold. He has the confidence and ability, he probably just needs games on a more consistent basis for Cavan.

Cavan team to play Antrim on Sunday

J Reilly; O Minagh, R Dunne, D Barkey; P O'Reilly, A Clarke, J McCutcheon; G McKiernan, D Givney; C Mackey, M Reilly, D O'Reilly; M McKeever, M Dunne, M McDermott.

Obviously injuries see a few starters missing out but the team has a better blend of experience with the under 21's. Great to see Rory Dunne back after so many injuries - if he stays injury free he might just be the answer to our full back problems. Nice to see Martin Reilly back too.

Hard to believe that Cavan have only won one of their last 7 opening league fixtures and Roscommon never turned up that day.

Really important year for Cavan and vital that we get a good start as its Monaghan, Meath and Sligo next.

• Advertisement

Bad result for Cavan yesterday - couldn't make it to Casement but watched it online. My optimism going into this year has taken a bit of a hit.

Some worrying things about the game.

We were second best at midfield for long periods of the game - positions we should be doing better.

Lack of options in the forward line - apart from Dunne we don't have natural scorers - everything is a bit laboured and lads are not backing themselves to shoot - we really need Keating back.

Once again we faded out of a match and conceded a lot of unaswered scores - we can't do that in games and expect to win.

I know its only one game in and Casement is not an easy place to go to but with Monaghan next up I think we are going to be fighting to stay in the Division this year again.

Bad result for Cavan yesterday - couldn't make it to Casement but watched it online. My optimism going into this year has taken a bit of a hit.

We were second best at midfield for long periods of the game - positions we should be doing better.

Lack of options in the forward line - apart from Dunne we don't have natural scorers - everything is a bit laboured and lads are not backing themselves to shoot - we really need Keating back.

Once again we faded out of a match and conceded a lot of unaswered scores - we can't do that in games and expect to win.

I know its only one game in and Casement is not an easy place to go to but with Monaghan next up I think we are going to be fighting to stay in the Division this year again.

Where did you watch it online?

GMK is not a great midfielder he is a good fielder of the ball and can kick nice scores but his problem is that he doesn't do enough going the other way. He neglects the defensive side of the game and against a box to box midfielder struggles all the time. Who was in midfield with him anyway?

It seems to be same old cavan and its not going to be easy now and Monaghan could give a beating to us next week.

Is Niall Smith injured or away ?

Where did you watch it online?

GMK is not a great midfielder he is a good fielder of the ball and can kick nice scores but his problem is that he doesn't do enough going the other way. He neglects the defensive side of the game and against a box to box midfielder struggles all the time. Who was in midfield with him anyway?

It seems to be same old cavan and its not going to be easy now and Monaghan could give a beating to us next week.

Is Niall Smith injured or away ?

A Mate of mine send me a link - will dig it out tonight and PM it to you - its on my laptop..

Agree with your assessment of Gearoid - but we expect too much off him - some people at games expect him to be Stephen King and Dermot McCabe rolled into one. Givney was beside him and to be honest would have expected more of him - they were both labouring badly near the end but they weren't the only ones.

Niall Smith is out injured - nothing major AFAIK.

I know Antrim are a decent team and gave us a pasting last year but we really needed a result yesterday - this team needs results to start getting places.

Maybe we should dampen down our expectations but looking at it now we need to target the home games to survive in Division 3.

My biggest worry is that upfront we don't have any scoring options outside Dunne.

A Mate of mine send me a link - will dig it out tonight and PM it to you - its on my laptop..

Agree with your assessment of Gearoid - but we expect too much off him - some people at games expect him to be Stephen King and Dermot McCabe rolled into one. Givney was beside him and to be honest would have expected more of him - they were both labouring badly near the end but they weren't the only ones.

Niall Smith is out injured - nothing major AFAIK.

I know Antrim are a decent team and gave us a pasting last year but we really needed a result yesterday - this team needs results to start getting places.

Maybe we should dampen down our expectations but looking at it now we need to target the home games to survive in Division 3.

My biggest worry is that upfront we don't have any scoring options outside Dunne.

Yeah that would be great if you could send on the link.

I know what we get from GMK and he needs to develop his game alot to be a top class midfielder as does Givney.
    Barry Reilly, Keating and Tierney are badly needed to help dunne out with scoring.

Yeah that would be great if you could send on the link.

I know what we get from GMK and he needs to develop his game alot to be a top class midfielder as does Givney.
    Barry Reilly, Keating and Tierney are badly needed to help dunne out with scoring.

PM sent..

Keating is badly needed, Jury is out on Tierney and more so Barry Reilly for me. Reilly is a lovely footballer but can be bullied out of games too easily - unfortunately we have too many nice but light footballers - although he is a very good freetaker - I hope I'm wrong here btw.

PM sent..

Keating is badly needed, Jury is out on Tierney and more so Barry Reilly for me. Reilly is a lovely footballer but can be bullied out of games too easily - unfortunately we have too many nice but light footballers - although he is a very good freetaker - I hope I'm wrong here btw.

If you are right we will be in serious bother because we don't have many others who can put the ball over the bar.

If you are right we will be in serious bother because we don't have many others who can put the ball over the bar.

As I said I hope I'm wrong but I don't see too many big strong lads that are missing from the panel and who can commit.

I'm a fan of Terry Hyland's and hope that he is given the time needed as he is our best hope of getting things right but he is limited by the players available.

The under 21s are a great bunch of footballers and one of the few bright sparks for Cavan football but we put too much reliance on them and Terry tried to address this by adding experience into the panel - hence players like Mackey and McKeever coming back in - but they are not big strong lads or free scoring.

Rory Dunne coming back is a huge boost as aside from Thomas Wakely we simply don't have a natural fullback in the county and Thomas can't commit.

Nesty was a huge loss to the county set-up and I've never got a good answer as to why he was discarded - AFAIK he was willing to commit and was the perfect link man between the forwards and the midfield and had a great eye for the killer pass.

I'd also like to see Dermot Sheridan and/or Paul Brady brought back into the panel.

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭augustus gloop

tom would you send me the link for the game also i did not make it to Belfast either.

on nesty, he was dropped as he was seen to be doing to much socializing along with Mackey, Cian had the pub in BJD at the time and Gareth and him were highlighted as big drinkers... Im not going to comment on if they were or not, but thats why he was dropped, along with the fact, he was costing a fortune in milage. I kid you not!

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭KeepTheFaith

Tom Joad could you send me on a PM with that link also? I saw it but thought it was a hoax didn't think there would be anyway to stream it.

Disappointing result lads but Antrim are simply better than us and as defeatist as it may sound, a 2 point loss in Casement isn't the worst thing in the world results wise, look at what they did to us in Breffni last year, in what was a must win at the time.

As for Nesty, absolutely no loss in my opinion. He didn't make the Dublin panel for a reason. Very poor discipline record, not hugely athletic, and going by his Twitter account which he used to constantly make disparaging remarks about the management team (Val and Terry) and Tom Reilly the Cavan chairman, his attitude and common sense wouldn't appear to be the best.

tom would you send me the link for the game also i did not make it to Belfast either.

on nesty, he was dropped as he was seen to be doing to much socializing along with Mackey, Cian had the pub in BJD at the time and Gareth and him were highlighted as big drinkers... Im not going to comment on if they were or not, but thats why he was dropped, along with the fact, he was costing a fortune in milage. I kid you not!

Was only a live stream I'm afraid. :(

Had heard that about nesty and that would make sense as to why he was dropped - I just find it surprised given that he clearly wanted to play intercounty football and was around the Dublin set-up for a good few years - it's a shame but we have enough problems in the Cavan set-up with having the good times without importing more.

• Advertisement

Tom Joad could you send me on a PM with that link also? I saw it but thought it was a hoax didn't think there would be anyway to stream it.

Disappointing result lads but Antrim are simply better than us and as defeatist as it may sound, a 2 point loss in Casement isn't the worst thing in the world results wise, look at what they did to us in Breffni last year, in what was a must win at the time.

As for Nesty, absolutely no loss in my opinion. He didn't make the Dublin panel for a reason. Very poor discipline record, not hugely athletic, and going by his Twitter account which he used to constantly make disparaging remarks about the management team (Val and Terry) and Tom Reilly the Cavan chairman, his attitude and common sense wouldn't appear to be the best.

Was only a live stream - It worked fine for me - as did the two McKenna Cup games - the northern teams seem to be ahead of the posse in streaming games esp in the league and McKenna cup.

As I said above its a real shame about Nesty as he had the ability and the vision we were crying out for but attitude and application is everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭scoopmine

Best of luck to the lads tomorrow. Its going to be a tough one but hopefully a home crowd can help!

Not hopeful for tomorrow nights but you'd never know with a big crowd shouting the lads on .:)

Not hopeful for tomorrow nights but you'd never know with a big crowd shouting the lads on .:)

Any word on streams for tomorrow my brother and friends in oz are looking?

unlikely given its this side of the border but will do some digging later on - heading into Breffni in a while so will keep ears open ;)

http://www.destinationnewry.com/video/latest-video/cavan-v-down-jan-2012

btw above is link to Down game - match is still up as off 2 minutes ago. Not a live stream so hopefully ok with mods.

http://www.destinationnewry.com/video/latest-video/cavan-v-down-jan-2012

btw above is link to Down game - match is still up as off 2 minutes ago. Not a live stream so hopefully ok with mods.

Yeah i was at that one and i seen the Armagh stream

Streams are ok here as long as they are legal, the two mckenna cup games were but the one from last week was not.

If i hear of a stream tonite will PM you - are you going to it? How do you think it will go?

Cavan (NFL V Monaghan): Alan O'Mara; Killian Brady, Rory Dunne, Oisin Minagh; Damien O'Reilly, Alan Clarke, John McCutcheon; Gearoid McKiernan, Tomás Corr; Cian Mackey, Niall McDermott, Mark McKeever; David Givney, Martin Dunne, Jack Brady.

Team to play Monaghan O'Mara and Corr and forced changes - nice to see O'Mara get his chance although I've never been convinced by his kick-outs. Podge is a loss as he is a real leader something we need tonight. Nice to see Jack Brady in as he is a real livewire. Killian Brady deserves his chance but could be in for a tough night.

I'm assuming that Givney won't play at No. 13 and will be brought back to Midfield / 45 to try and win primary possession around that part of the field.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,131 ✭✭✭cavan4sam

great win tonight
    always nice to put one over on the auld enemy ,
    for a team talked up by so many they really had no answer to a hungrier cavan team ,
    ref lost control way too early and his sending off's were nothing short of a farce
    now seeing as we are beating neighbours bring on meath

Advertisement