Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Official Cavan GAA Discussion thread.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

Just back in from the match and a cheeky pint on the way:D

Not many seen that result coming.

Monaghan were awful and it was a strong team - never got tight to Cavan, kicked some awful aimless balls into the forwards.

Ref was a joke - two red cards rest were soft decisions. Was no penalty either it was a slip.

But it was a massive win for Cavan and the were good value for it and you could see the belief was coming into the team after they weathered the storm early in the second half when Monaghan were coming at them. You could also see the system tonight and it is starting to make sense which is encouraging. Cian Mackey had a great game as the playmaker - McKeever to a lesser extent made a lot happen. Mckiernan had a good game and won a lot of ball. Toasty was very solid. I hope it wasn't an injury to Rory Dunne that made Cavan sub him at half time.

Its still February and no point in getting carried away but a big result tonight as this team needs to get in the habit of winning.

Now for the trip to Mordor and we can start dreaming again.. :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,439 ✭✭✭celt262

Tom Joad wrote: »
    If i hear of a stream tonite will PM you - are you going to it? How do you think it will go?

Great win last night.

Players were up for it and really got stuck in.

The ref did his best to ruin it though.

Yeah one of the worst referring displays i've seen and that's nothing to do with the sending off even - very inconsistent and some bizarre calls - once he gave the first red he was always going to have problems. Monaghan were lucky to finish with 12 in the last 5 minutes too..

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

So does that mean ye're now 20 points better than us?
    Raging I have to miss the game in 3 weeks time.

So does that mean ye're now 20 points better than us?

At least 20 :D Should be a good game but hard to know where both counties are at as Monaghan were so bad last night it was difficult to understand. In saying that Cavan raised there game because it was the auld enemy and should have no difficulty raising again for Meath.

Raging I have to miss the game in 3 weeks time.

What's the story with Tailteann these days? Are both ends of the ground closed now??

• Advertisement

Memo to those who lurk in internet forums – man up or shut up
    please.
    Cavan county board chairman Tom Reilly and his committee
    should speak to some of the faceless internet experts – they know all the
    answers, writes Anglo-Celt Sports editor Paul Fitzpatrick.

The Internet is another country; they do things differently there. It would make you wonder. Why do ordinarily sane punters turn into abusive, angry, bewildered lunatics, foaming at the mouth with a righteous rage, their plan of attack just that – an all-out offensive?

They are like the viscous drunk we all know, who changes when the liquor is in. It’s a case of “with keyboard veritas” to coin the phrase. Of course, it’s not the effect of sitting down at a computer or with a smartphone that creates this altered state of mind; rather it’s the drug of anonymity.

Unhappy with how others perceive you in real life? No problem,
    switch your attentions to a made-up world and live vicariously through an online persona.

I have no problem with fair comment online but personal
    criticism(when the “alligator”, as a famous politician once said, hasn’t the
    courage to put their own name on it) is cowardly and unfair. Cavan footballers and management would surely agree – in fact, I know they do, because they have said so privately.

After the Antrim game, we ran some of the online comments
    in a panel under the heading “what the internet pundits say”. The reaction was amazing. It was lazy journalism, suggested one nameless poster. Others were clearly alarmed at being quoted, possibly because the fact that their very public utterances were printed in a newspaper meant that they had to stand over them, just as I and anyone else who writes in a newspaper does.

Journos get plenty of vitriol, but they can hack it, no pun intended, and secretely, in a lot of cases, probably enjoy the attention. But players, who train as hard as any professional sportsmen for little or no return, and managers, who try as best they can to turn out winning teams, often feel the brunt of it.

Where am I going with all this? Well, as usual, there was an online Armageddon last week following Cavans defeat to Antrim. Forget the fact that the Saffrons routed us in our own castle last April, Cavan were expected to go to Belfast and win last Sunday week. Nothing less or the keyboard warriors wouldn’t be happy. Of course, they didn’t win, but it wasn’t for want of trying. Antrim have had the upper hand for a few years and the home advantage. Cavan were missing a few important men, trying out new tactics and positioning of players. They competed
    well, and they were in a winning position, but didn’t close it out.

And the internet experts? Well there were about 600 punters in total at the game, most of whom were from Antrim. The majority of those who lurk in online message boards, then, weren’t at the match about which they were commenting.

Amid all the guff, however, (and I didn’t go through it all, life is too short to hang on the ramblings of the semi-literate and anonymous) there was one morsel of wisdom. “Every time we lose” noted one poster, I think, on the gaaboard.com web-site, “we try to re-invent the wheel” Bang! Spot on. A rare diamond in the rough.

Cavan lost to Antrim – on another day, maybe with another referee,
    we’d have beaten them. What does that mean? It means we lost by 2 points and needed to beat Monaghan so as not to come under pressure. Nothing more, nothing less.

That doesn’t mean Cavan need a new manager, or to bring back old
    players or drop young ones, or any reaction of that type. We’re coming from a low base, having won – going into last Saturdays game – six matches in league and championship from the last 20. “Monaghan”, we wrote in the programme last Saturday, “will bring huge enegery and confidence after their fantastic win over Meath last week. In Malachy O Rourke, they have one of the best managers in the game, and they have a potent blend of experience, scoring power, physique and young talent. “But, to use a cliché, it’s a local derby, and results which run counter to the form book are common in those fixtures. Cavan are at home and, as Michael Hannon pointed out in a recent mostly football column in the Anglo-Celt, that’s worth a 5% boost. An extra game under Cavans belts will bring
    them up another notch and if Terry Hylands troops can hold their focus for the full 70 minutes – Cavan haven’t done that in years – they will be very hard to beat.

And if everything does come right and the season is not so much salvaged as steered back on course, even the internet pundits might be happy. And pigs might fly, too” They weren’t happy of course. One person who posts under their real name wrote to question whether the piece was accusing him of idiocy (it wasn’t – he has the cojones to put his name to his words). Another supporter emailed saying “well done – it had to be said”. And the chorus line had it that your correspondent “let the Celt down”
    It was all to be expected. The rules of the engagement, you see, aren’t fair. Write in a newspaper and you must be able to back it up, meet those you praise or criticise on the street; hide behind a made up moniker on an internet forum and you can libel individuals,
    cast aspersions and spit out whatever vitriol comes into your head, without fear or repercussions.

There are some very knowledgeable posters on message
    boards, and often there are those with more-than-tenuous links to the team (and Val Andrews even suggested that some were actually members of the panel itself).

The question is, though, in an age of social media, just what do these fellas
    have to hide?

Very interesting and well written article in the Celt this week about message boards and anoymous criticism of players. Not something that happens on this site so much as others but am sure its not just a Cavan issue. I know its something Val Andrews had a huge issue with when he was in Cavan.

Its very quite in here - big game against the auld enemy tomorrow night. Confidence should be high after Monaghan result. A lot will depend on team selection and especially Martin Dunne's appeal tonight. If Dunne is available and if Keating isn't injured.

I believe that Rory Dunne is injured again and would be a big loss esp if Meath kick high ball into the forwards.

Would like to see Givney partner McKiernan at midfield..

Unfortunately can't make the match - always liked the trip to Navan..

Cavan 10 - 1 up at half time - hard to believe esp without both Dunnes and Keating. Looks like Monaghan result wasn't a flash in the pan..

Full time Cavan 0-15 Meath 1-5. Meath made as you would expect made a fight of it but Cavan done enough to win. With at least 3 or 4 starters come championship missing to give both Monaghan and Meath a hiding shows the potential of the Cavan team - fantastic hunger and self belief from the lads. Hyland seems to have got the players trusting his system and bringing back a bit of steel and experience has worked a treat. Dermot Sheridan is coming back too which can only be a positive.

But, we have won nothing and need to build and make a challenge for promotion. Sligo away next won't be easy.

Hopefully lads will keep their feet on the ground..

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭Mully_2011

Shure Meath is a Hurling county these days anyway !!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Banned! The lot of ye! Banned I say!
    :(
    Looks like Monaghan result wasn't a flash in the pan..

Funny. We're saying the exact same thing.

Given the dark places Cavan football has been in the last while I would never gloat over another counties misfortunes (even if it is Meath :p) but listening to the match and what has been going on in Meath this last while its like where Cavan football was 5 years ago - no pride in the jersey, lots of politics and in-fighting, poor application by county players and no hunger.

Cavan haven't fixed everything by winning two matches in a row but I always felt that all the young lads needed was to get the winning habit at this level and they could be a good team.

Meath need to sort things out quickly or be in a rut for a fair while..

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Gallant_JJ

Great result, the two lads in the middle gave us a great platform, and in the latter stages Givney then. Corr puts in Trojan work.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

We've done a pretty cool interview with Jim Reilly for our "Legends" series that we rolled out last week if any of you guys want to take a look at it:

http://www.livegaelic.com/features/livegaelic-legends/livegaelic-legends-jim-reilly-part-1/

There's a part two to come tomorrow where he talks about the current state of football in general and Cavan football in particular as well which should be good.

keane2097 wrote: »
    We've done a pretty cool interview with Jim Reilly for our "Legends" series that we rolled out last week if any of you guys want to take a look at it:

http://www.livegaelic.com/features/livegaelic-legends/livegaelic-legends-jim-reilly-part-1/

There's a part two to come tomorrow where he talks about the current state of football in general and Cavan football in particular as well which should be good.

Great stuff keane, a true legend of Cavan football - unfortunately he played at a time when Cavan football was at its weakest but had a great partnership with Stephen King for many years. Was very unlucky not to win an Ulster club with Kingscourt, who had a really good strong team back then. They lost two Ulster finals - the one against Burren was a day of might have beens but Burren were a fine team.

Anyway nice to see Jim get featured.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,363 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

You have an exceptional talent in Givney.

Played unbelievable for DIT, in the latter stages of the Sigerson cup.

Couldn't believe I had never heard of him. Should form a top class midfield partnership with McKiernan for years to come.

Can field, run all day and score some spectacular points.

DDC1990 wrote: »
    You have an exceptional talent in Givney.

Played unbelievable for DIT, in the latter stages of the Sigerson cup.

Couldn't believe I had never heard of him. Should form a top class midfield partnership with McKiernan for years to come.

Can field, run all day and score some spectacular points.

He's a serious talent alright but he's playing very little at midfield for the county team at the minute - I'm assuming and hoping that this changes come championship.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,363 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

Might be trying to keep him under wraps.

He had two great games, against DCU and UCC who would both have serious talent around the middle.

It helped that he had Aidan O'Shea beside him, who also had a fantastic few games, but having said that McKiernan is no slouch either :P

Martin Reilly also played in the Sigerson Cup final, and won a huge amount of breaks around the middle. Cavan have always had the footballers. Ulster is just so hard to get out of, and they can't seem to get it right for the qualifiers.

DDC1990 wrote: »
    Might be trying to keep him under wraps.

He had two great games, against DCU and UCC who would both have serious talent around the middle.

It helped that he had Aidan O'Shea beside him, who also had a fantastic few games, but having said that McKiernan is no slouch either :P

Martin Reilly also played in the Sigerson Cup final, and won a huge amount of breaks around the middle. Cavan have always had the footballers. Ulster is just so hard to get out of, and they can't seem to get it right for the qualifiers.

We are missing a target man to win ball in the forward so I assume this is management's priority and hence putting Givney in the full forward line - but come championship we should have Eugene Keating back. Givney and McKiernan together is an exciting prospect.

Martin Reilly is another exciting prospect. Its an exciting time for Cavan football at the minute as suddenly the belief is there - the lads are absolutely buzzing at training and these are young lads used to winning matches - Tyrone, Armagh, Donegal hold no fear for them - they have beaten them all at Underage, minor and Under 21 level. The difference this year is that they trust the managers system and it suits the pacy players we have, the management team had also brought in a bit of steel and experience with Mackey, McKeever and lately Dermot Sheridan.

Exciting times ahead I think and hopefully the lads keep their feet on the ground.

I think Givney will stay in the full forward line, with him and Mckiernan i think that both of them are to attacking minded. Corr was outstanding the other night in Midfield and if he keeps up that form he deserves his place. He can be brought out when needed anyway as happened the last few games.

A full forward line of Dunne,Givney and Keating would put fear into any team, not to mention Jack Brady and Niall McDermott who have both been very good this year.

• Advertisement

celt262 wrote: »
    I think Givney will stay in the full forward line, with him and Mckiernan i think that both of them are to attacking minded. Corr was outstanding the other night in Midfield and if he keeps up that form he deserves his place. He can be brought out when needed anyway as happened the last few games.

A full forward line of Dunne,Givney and Keating would put fear into any team, not to mention Jack Brady and Niall McDermott who have both been very good this year.

Would agree re Corr - his place is well merited on form and he does a good job of holding.

Thats a damn exciting forward line... great to have options again..

There is also Turloc Mooney to maybe come into that panel. He scored 1-5 for Redhills last weekend and is supposed to be flying. It is someone that Hyland and Co will defninatly be watching in the U21 game against Monaghan.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,131 ✭✭✭cavan4sam

the last 2 results have been great
    the trip tp sligo is going to be one of our toughest this year as everything is not rosy in their camp and they are under pressure for a win
    but hopefully a win this sunday and we can dare to dream

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

My old man grew up in Cavan till he was eight (Ballinagh) so always keep an eye on the Breffni and delighted to say ye really have got a serious smattering of talent up there at the moment. I look forward to making money backing them too as a lot of it appears to be somewhat under the radar judging how underpriced ye've been so far in the league.

There is also Turloc Mooney to maybe come into that panel. He scored 1-5 for Redhills last weekend and is supposed to be flying. It is someone that Hyland and Co will defninatly be watching in the U21 game against Monaghan.

Have heard great things about him - great to have so many options..

Cavan are 5/6 fav for the game against sligo.

Cavan are 5/6 fav for the game against sligo.

hate that - we are never good as favourites but something tells me this group of lads are different

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭KeepTheFaith

Keep the expectations realistic folks. We have a very young side and they will find it hard to play at that level on a consistent basis. Two wins doesn't make us world beaters, we will no longer face sides under the radar, Sligo will be well aware of what we have to offer and will be fighting for their season next Sunday.

The team is in a good place, one more win should see us safe for the season. To go up we'd need at least two wins and a draw from games against Sligo, Fermanagh, Wicklow and Roscommon. No easy task.

hate that - we are never good as favorites but something tells me this group of lads are different

I don't know if they would even know or care to be honest.

What did you thing of McEnroe at full back the other night, i hadn't seen him in a while he is a big man also.

• Advertisement

I don't know if they would even know or care to be honest.

What did you thing of McEnroe at full back the other night, i hadn't seen him in a while he is a big man also.

I wasn't actually at the game - had a race in Meath Sunday morning so couldn't do both - only had Northern Sound. Re McEnroe I haven't seen enough of him to judge but for me Rory Dunne is the best full back in the county - unfortunately Rory never gets momentum because of injury. Is the answer then to back McEnroe who was out for a while himself for the league? Its one position we need to resolve before championship..

Advertisement