Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Official Cavan GAA Discussion thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,402 ✭✭✭celt262

The 30th was the original date anyway so im sure it wasn't a problem for them to change it back.

Kingscourt will be confident but Mullahoran will do whatever it takes to unsettle them, will be a interesting first 10 minutes until it settles down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

I fancy Kingscourt to win it but you never know with Mullahoran - you can never rule them out. Am really looking forward to it - should be a cracking game..

So county final tomorrow Kingscourt V Mullahoran - still think that Kingscourt will win a tight match.

Heard that county hurling final Mullahoran V Ballymachugh had been fixed for this evening but Mullahoran refused to play it - how the hell did this happen if its true - I'm sure there are a few dual players for Mullahoran :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,854 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

full report on the county final in the indo today.
    O'Reilly holds nerve to force a replay

Kingscourt Stars 1-8 Mullahoran 1-8

Top scorer Enda O'Reilly converted two injury-time frees to deny favourites Kingscourt their second crown in three years.

The Stars looked home after sub Ryan McCormack dived to palm the ball to the Mullahoran net less than a minute before the end of normal time.
    <snip>
    McCormack's goal steered Kingscourt into the lead for the first time, but O'Reilly played the role of party-pooper to a tee to ensure the sides must meet again this Sunday.
    http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-football/oreilly-holds-nerve-to-force-a-replay-3244544.html

I suppose the question is whether Paul Brady will line out for the replay?
    The handball isnt starting till Thursday week, but does Paul want to risk injuiry and fatigue by playing a big game that close to the world finals?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

Tom Joad wrote: »
    So county final tomorrow Kingscourt V Mullahoran - still think that Kingscourt will win a tight match.

Heard that county hurling final Mullahoran V Ballymachugh had been fixed for this evening but Mullahoran refused to play it - how the hell did this happen if its true - I'm sure there are a few dual players for Mullahoran :confused:

was reading about that in the paper. Apparently giving the walkover and the county title to Ballymachugh. How does a county board fix the 2 main (well, main in most counties) county finals for the same weekend, with one club involved in both. Is hurling really that despised that they would do something like that and have no uproar over it? if that happened an underage game in Wexford there would be ructions throughout, but again, it may well be the disdain hurling has in Cavan that has led to this.

• Advertisement

now, settle a wee bit.

The winners of the Cavan club championship go on to the Ulster Junior Club Championship.
    This has ALREADY started with the prelim round last weekend, and the first 2 Quarter finals are next weekend.
    SEE HERE FOR Ulster Junior Club Championship (including Ballymachugh) :
    http://ulster.gaa.ie/fixtures-results/?compID=15379&leagueTable=y

I am loosing track of the exact rule, but the last I heard it was no longer possible to nominate a winner to go on to the provincial club championship if your own championship was not finished. Without knowing the full story, it looks like the county board either had to "run" the county final last weekend or loose the place in the Ulsters.

You could bend over backwards as a county board with scheduling the game in the coming weeks, but if Mullahoran arent prepared to play before a deadline for entry into the Ulster hurling competition (which from the outside seems to be whats happening), then why should the county board be blamed for Mullaghorans lack of willingness and deny Ballymachugh the chance to play at a higher level?

Its arguably fairer to allow Ballymachugh to go forward as the county hurling winners.
    For a club that wouldnt have so much historical success compared to Mullaghoran, it would mean so much more for them as a club to play in Ulster.

The one thing that can be thrown at the county board is that they should have had the hurling finished weeks ago in advance of the (brought forward) football final and impending Ulster Club Championship, but this is something that is to planned for in the previous December/ January with the publishing of the master schedule.

Maybe they had a view similar to the Ladies GAA that it was preferable to have their finals in September to gain a PR glow from the all ireland finals and just got caught out by the rearranged football final, as the ladies got caught out with an all ireland hurling replay?

genuine question, but how many teams were playing in the Cavan hurling championship? or what format did it have that it couldnt be already finished? I doubt PR for the cavan hurling final was the reason it has been left until now to be played.

bruschi wrote: »
    genuine question, but how many teams were playing in the Cavan hurling championship? or what format did it have that it couldnt be already finished? I doubt PR for the cavan hurling final was the reason it has been left until now to be played.
    seemingly 4 teams if the full championship fixtures list is what is being displayed online and the championship only being ran in the past few weeks, all games being played in september.

The indo also has a small article on the Hurling final.
    Ballymachugh to be handed title

Cavan GAA officials are set to meet tonight after Saturday's senior hurling final between Mullahoran St Joseph's and Ballymachugh failed to take place.

The game was postponed just hours before the throw-in after Mullahoran said they were unable to fulfil the fixture due to numerous players being involved in yesterday's SFC final against Kingscourt Stars.

Tonight's meeting of the Cavan CCC is expected to hand Ballymachugh the title on a walkover.

If this happens, Ballymachugh will represent Cavan in the Ulster club JHC, where they will face Down champions Bredagh next Saturday.

Ballymachugh manager Brendan Sweeney says his side would still prefer to earn the right to be crowned Cavan champions.

"We are unfortunate victims of this thing too," he said.

Ballymachugh were unable to facilitate moving the fixture to a mid-week game this week as they have a number of players based in the UK for work and college purposes.
    http://www.independent.ie/sport/hurling/ballymachugh-to-be-handed-title-3244559.html

seemingly 4 teams if the full championship fixtures list is what is being displayed online and the championship only being ran in the past few weeks, all games being played in september.

The indo also has a small article on the Hurling final.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/hurling/ballymachugh-to-be-handed-title-3244559.html

but thats crazy. how can a championship of 4 teams culminate in a final where a walkover has to be conceded? I really dont want this to decend into the usual football/hurling bashing thing, but another prominent county who get their fair share of abuse over not promoting the other game get their championship with much more teams ran off and played well in time so that there are no conflicts like this. its not fair on any of the teams playing hurling in Cavan for their co champions to be decided like that.

I dont know what they were at to only be having the final at this stage of the year.

I tell you one thing though , the majority of "GAA" people in cavan wont be two bothered about this.

• Advertisement

but thats crazy. how can a championship of 4 teams culminate in a final where a walkover has to be conceded? I really dont want this to decend into the usual football/hurling bashing thing, but another prominent county who get their fair share of abuse over not promoting the other game get their championship with much more teams ran off and played well in time so that there are no conflicts like this. its not fair on any of the teams playing hurling in Cavan for their co champions to be decided like that.

Spot on bruschi - this was a farce again orchestrated by the county board after already attempting to banjaxing the football county final (which they couldn't because both clubs agreed to change the date to suit Mullahoran footballer and handballer Paul Brady). This situation should never have arisen as the hurling championship should be finished weeks ago - last year the county board couldn't even see fit to let the hurling pitch be played in Breffni Park - it was played on the astroturf pitch behind Breffni - that's some commitment to hurling:o

A hurling administrator was appointed who was making good strides and ironically the programme for the football final yesterday had a nice piece on the work being done thro the clubs and primary schools but again with one stroke the county board negated all that work.

The dogs on the street knew that the county hurling final could not be played saturday night as Mullahoran were also involved in the football final on Sunday but the county board allowed this situation to arise - but let them away with trying to blame the players for getting rid of the county manager earlier this year (on the night of an Ulster U21 final) and they feel they can do anything...

But Celt262 hit the nail on the head when he said the majority of "GAA" people in Cavan won't care about this - and that's the truth:mad:

full report on the county final in the indo today.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-football/oreilly-holds-nerve-to-force-a-replay-3244544.html

I suppose the question is whether Paul Brady will line out for the replay?
    The handball isnt starting till Thursday week, but does Paul want to risk injuiry and fatigue by playing a big game that close to the world finals?

While low on quality the final was a cracker and real nail biting stuff and a draw was the fairest result. Bit worrying for the county team that 3 of the 4 stand out players are either past county age or not required but if you could bottle the spirit that Mullahoran showed yesterday and nurture some of the young talent in Kingscourt and the county would be going somewhere.

As I understand it Paul Brady is available for the replay and will play - he had a good solid game yesterday and set up the goal so Mullahoran need him...

Spot on bruschi - this was a farce again orchestrated by the county board after already attempting to banjaxing the football county final (which they couldn't because both clubs agreed to change the date to suit Mullahoran footballer and handballer Paul Brady). This situation should never have arisen as the hurling championship should be finished weeks ago - last year the county board couldn't even see fit to let the hurling pitch be played in Breffni Park - it was played on the astroturf pitch behind Breffni - that's some commitment to hurling:o

A hurling administrator was appointed who was making good strides and ironically the programme for the football final yesterday had a nice piece on the work being done thro the clubs and primary schools but again with one stroke the county board negated all that work.

The dogs on the street knew that the county hurling final could not be played saturday night as Mullahoran were also involved in the football final on Sunday but the county board allowed this situation to arise - but let them away with trying to blame the players for getting rid of the county manager earlier this year (on the night of an Ulster U21 final) and they feel they can do anything...

But Celt262 hit the nail on the head when he said the majority of "GAA" people in Cavan won't care about this - and that's the truth:mad:

that is seriously disappointing. I really cant see how any county board can get away with being so unorganised and flipant to a sport it is supposed to cater for. if it was an underage game or something, but this is supposed to be the pinacle game of the year.

that is seriously disappointing. I really cant see how any county board can get away with being so unorganised and flipant to a sport it is supposed to cater for. if it was an underage game or something, but this is supposed to be the pinacle game of the year.

Agree 100% but what did it get - less than an inch of column space in the Indo - pathetic given the general back slapping for the county board in the programme for yesterdays county football final for their role in developing hurling - obviously printed before saturdays fiasco..

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭breffni666

K

Agree 100% but what did it get - less than an inch of column space in the Indo - pathetic given the general back slapping for the county board in the programme for yesterdays county football final for their role in developing hurling - obviously printed before saturdays fiasco..
    Its very easy to back slap. Nothing has changed and while hurling remains in the"gift"of the football board then the game is going nowhere fast. Yes some juvenile activity but with no hurling board, no county team and now no club final any aspirations any of our young hurlers have had are now fully extinguised. Is there really any point anymore?

breffni666 wrote: »
    K
    Its very easy to back slap. Nothing has changed and while hurling remains in the"gift"of the football board then the game is going nowhere fast. Yes some juvenile activity but with no hurling board, no county team and now no club final any aspirations any of our young hurlers have had are now fully extinguised. Is there really any point anymore?

Couldn't agree more with you but no-one gives a crap and that's the most frustrating thing about all this - if I was Eoin Morrissey this morning I would be telling the powers that be in Breffni Park to shove it - he has no chance in developing the game in Cavan if this is the type of county title that youngsters have to aspire to.

It's a waste of time it will sadly never get the support that it requires from the County board.

Cavan GAA officials are set to meet tonight after Saturday's senior hurling final between Mullahoran St Joseph's and Ballymachugh failed to take place.
    The game was postponed just hours before the throw-in after Mullahoran said they were unable to fulfil the fixture due to numerous players being involved in yesterday's SFC final against Kingscourt Stars.
    Tonight's meeting of the Cavan CCC is expected to hand Ballymachugh the title on a walkover.
    If this happens, Ballymachugh will represent Cavan in the Ulster club JHC, where they will face Down champions Bredagh next Saturday.
    Ballymachugh manager Brendan Sweeney says his side would still prefer to earn the right to be crowned Cavan champions.
    "We are unfortunate victims of this thing too," he said.
    Ballymachugh were unable to facilitate moving the fixture to a mid-week game this week as they have a number of players based in the UK for work and college purposes.

Bit of discussion on this in Cavan thread but said I would start a new thread to get a wider audience as this seems to have gone unremarked apart from the above article in yesterday's indo.

Basically as article says Senior County Hurling final didn't go ahead on Saturday as Mullahoran (with 7 dual players) refused to/couldn't fulfil the fixture as they were playing the football Senior County Final Sunday afternoon.

There is 2 games in the Cavan Senior Hurling championship at most every year so this situation in my view should have never been allowed to occur and illustrates the disdain which Hurling is treated with in Cavan despite talk of the contrary from the County Board.

So what the view on this - who cares, hurling will never take off in Cavan and County Board should stop paying lip service to it or the County Board should properly promote the game?

I should say that Eoin Morrissey was appointed as Hurling co-ordinator as is doing an excellent job at schools and club nursery level and is completely blameless in this fiasco.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Merging threads

Seems Cavan County Board are not the only ones that think it is not important, meanwhile there are 4 Dublin related threads on the first page here!!!!

• Advertisement

celt262 wrote: »
    Seems Cavan County Board are not the only ones that think it is not important, meanwhile there are 4 Dublin related threads on the first page here!!!!

In fairness to the mod - was just a case of crossed wires :D

Have been given go ahead to start new thread - just trying to see can I do that without making an arse of it

Ok guys verdicts for Sunday.

I think Cootehill will win the Intermediate and i will go for Kingscourt in the Senior.

celt262 wrote: »
    Ok guys verdicts for Sunday.

I think Cootehill will win the Intermediate and i will go for Kingscourt in the Senior.

Fancy Lacken to take Cootehill by 3/4 points if Lacken set up the right way and don't just leave Galligan up on his own as they have done of late. Kingscourt should come through a tight match against Mullahoran by 1 or 2 points - think Kingscourt can changes things more than Mullahoran and won't let Mullahoran race into a big lead again.

K

Couldn't agree more with you but no-one gives a crap and that's the most frustrating thing about all this - if I was Eoin Morrissey this morning I would be telling the powers that be in Breffni Park to shove it - he has no chance in developing the game in Cavan if this is the type of county title that youngsters have to aspire to.[/Quote

If you didnt like your bosses way of working would you quit your job, thought not. Eoin's job is developing the juvenile game, all the other stuff is lumped onto him as well which is unfair. He will do what he's told, county executive have to take responsibility here but they wont because they know the "clubs" don't care so have carte blanche to do what they like and when it dosnt work then blame the hurling clubs. We cant develop because the clowns use their elected mandate from the football clubs to do what they like to hurling. They simply do not care, its as basic as that. The only interest in hurling they have is the cheque from Croke Park.

Couldn't agree more with you but no-one gives a crap and that's the most frustrating thing about all this - if I was Eoin Morrissey this morning I would be telling the powers that be in Breffni Park to shove it - he has no chance in developing the game in Cavan if this is the type of county title that youngsters have to aspire to.[/Quote

If you didnt like your bosses way of working would you quit your job, thought not. Eoin's job is developing the juvenile game, all the other stuff is lumped onto him as well which is unfair. He will do what he's told, county executive have to take responsibility here but they wont because they know the "clubs" don't care so have carte blanche to do what they like and when it dosnt work then blame the hurling clubs. We cant develop because the clowns use their elected mandate from the football clubs to do what they like to hurling. They simply do not care, its as basic as that. The only interest in hurling they have is the cheque from Croke Park.

Just to be clear I'm not attaching any blame to Eoin Morrissey on this. All I am saying is that the actions of the county board completely negate and undermine the work he has done. And yeah we all have days were we would love to tell our bosses to shove it - but it passes:D

Spot on with the rest of your post - its lip service from the county board to tick a box.

What do people think of draw for Ulster next year? For my part I really didn't want us to get one of the big team in the prelim which would mean (if we lost) a long wait for the qualifiers and all the problems that causes in keeping the lads together. So my worst fears came to pass which is disappointing but its a long way off yet... We need to get out of Division 3 first...

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭KeepTheFaith

What do people think of draw for Ulster next year? For my part I really didn't want us to get one of the big team in the prelim which would mean (if we lost) a long wait for the qualifiers and all the problems that causes in keeping the lads together. So my worst fears came to pass which is disappointing but its a long way off yet... We need to get out of Division 3 first...

Get out of Divison 3!? If we could stay in it we'd be doing well. Extremely tough next year, far more difficult than last year when we barely managed to hang on.

Get out of Divison 3!? If we could stay in it we'd be doing well. Extremely tough next year, far more difficult than last year when we barely managed to hang on.

I agree that it will be more difficult esp with games against Meath and Monaghan who obviously will be massive favourites to go straight back up - but if this Cavan team wants to fulfil its potential it needs to be getting out of Division 3 soon..

Lacken and Cootehill to meet again Saturday night - Lacken were 5 points up at half-time and were lucky to escape with a draw. Lacken should have won as they had more top class players but fair play to Cootehill for battling away.

In the senior was very tight until the Mullahoran goal - real touch of class from Paul Brady with the pass in. I thought Paul Brady, Dermot Sheridan and Eddie O'Reilly (all players with county experience) were a level above anyone else on the field and were the difference in the end.

Mullahoran will make live difficult for anyone in Ulster..

• Advertisement

Lacken and Cootehill to meet again Saturday night - Lacken were 5 points up at half-time and were lucky to escape with a draw. Lacken should have won as they had more top class players but fair play to Cootehill for battling away.

In the senior was very tight until the Mullahoran goal - real touch of class from Paul Brady with the pass in. I thought Paul Brady, Dermot Sheridan and Eddie O'Reilly (all players with county experience) were a level above anyone else on the field and were the difference in the end.

Mullahoran will make live difficult for anyone in Ulster..

Not a hope in hell of making it difficult for anyone! Errigal Ciaran from Tyrone are their Ulster opposition. A div 3 county with champions with not one in the county squad afaik. The standard is still close to rubbish.

Advertisement