Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Official Cavan GAA Discussion thread.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

breffni666 wrote: »
    Not a hope in hell of making it difficult for anyone! Errigal Ciaran from Tyrone are their Ulster opposition. A div 3 county with champions with not one in the county squad afaik. The standard is still close to rubbish.

I thought it was the Derry champions they were playing? not sure where I heard that though - I don't think Mullahoran have a chance of winning ulster but they are a dogged team and won't cough up a lot of scores but if it is Errigal Ciarán that's another story.

I don't think the number of County players means much anymore - there was more in the intermediate final. Mullahoran have always been better than the sum of their parts..

Standard was poor but have been at a few county finals in other counties and I don't think today's match was any worse that others I have seen to be honest. But the county championship does need an overhaul and hopefully the new format will bring the standard up.

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭muincav

Tom Joad wrote: »
    Lacken and Cootehill to meet again Saturday night - Lacken were 5 points up at half-time and were lucky to escape with a draw. Lacken should have won as they had more top class players but fair play to Cootehill for battling away.

In the senior was very tight until the Mullahoran goal - real touch of class from Paul Brady with the pass in. I thought Paul Brady, Dermot Sheridan and Eddie O'Reilly (all players with county experience) were a level above anyone else on the field and were the difference in the end.

Mullahoran will make live difficult for anyone in Ulster..

Not sure if you were at the IFC game, but if you were you would have seen one of the worst refereeing displays of the season! He was so in favour of Lacken that when he gave soft and unjust frees to them he did everything but kick the ball for them.
    The last free of the game was for a filthy tackle by a Lacken player which left a Cootehill player with a broken nose, and one of the Lacken players was goading the free taker for which the ref should have brought the ball closer but he again just ignored their underhand tactics also allowing the the Lacken player who fouled to get off...he should have got a straight red....before you ask-NO,, Im not a Cootehill fan.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,402 ✭✭✭celt262

. Lacken should have won as they had more top class players but fair play to Cootehill for battling away.

In my opinion Cootehill have better players and only for a disgrace of a referee would have won it.

In the senior was very tight until the Mullahoran goal - real touch of class from Paul Brady with the pass in. I thought Paul Brady, Dermot Sheridan and Eddie O'Reilly (all players with county experience) were a level above anyone else on the field and were the difference in the end.
    Eddie Reilly was hopeless yesterday and couldnt get his hands on the ball, he came into a bit in the last 3 or 4 minutes but apart from that he did nothing.

muincav wrote: »
    Not sure if you were at the IFC game, but if you were you would have seen one of the worst refereeing displays of the season! He was so in favour of Lacken that when he gave soft and unjust frees to them he did everything but kick the ball for them.
    The last free of the game was for a filthy tackle by a Lacken player which left a Cootehill player with a broken nose, and one of the Lacken players was goading the free taker for which the ref should have brought the ball closer but he again just ignored their underhand tactics also allowing the the Lacken player who fouled to get off...he should have got a straight red....before you ask-NO,, Im not a Cootehill fan.

Yes I was at the game. To be fair to the referee there was so much happening that it was difficult to keep on top of it - don't think he was helped much by his officials either but in saying that he was the same for both sides.

The tackle by Trevor Crowe imho deserved a yellow (which is how it was dealt with) - as I saw it he lined the Cootehill guy up to shoulder him and missed him - not a red card, looked bad but that's the way I saw it. Did he get a broken nose in the incident??

The Cootehill red was the right call - it was a punch in the face.

Behaviour of both sets of players at times left a lot to be desired especially in the second half but Lacken did have the classier players and more football brain about them and should win the replay..

I totally agree with you re last point - only it was more than one Lacken player involved - it was at least three and I was in line with the incident - one of the most disgusting things I have seen at a football match and ball should have been moved in to straight in front of the posts.

And with a name like muincav are you sure you're not from Cootehill :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

I hope the good people of Cavan will be up cheering on Paul Brady in the City West over the next two weeks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭augustus gloop

eddie was at his embarrasing worst yesterday.... they ply the derry champions 100% and they will give them a fair game in breffni, to dismiss them at home is stupid to be honest, youd imagine people would have learned not to undermine them after yesterday, although how eddie stayed on the pitch is a joke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭Greenngold

Where are you getting, they are playing the Derry Champions from?

The draw for the Ulster Club was made back in Januray... The Cavan champions would meet the Tyrone champions in the perliminary round - who are Errigal Ciaran, and if they win they would play the Derry Champions.

Jesus they even announced the result of the Tyrone Final in Breffni yesterday, they only gave it because the champions of Cavan were playing the Tyrone Champions.

eddie was at his embarrasing worst yesterday.... they ply the derry champions 100% and they will give them a fair game in breffni, to dismiss them at home is stupid to be honest, youd imagine people would have learned not to undermine them after yesterday, although how eddie stayed on the pitch is a joke.

I don't understand why some people see Eddie as a bit of a joke figure but I have to say not having seen him play for a good while I was impressed with him over the two games. Yesterday his presence alone caused Kingscourt huge trouble - they were afraid to touch him and he put a couple of good booming balls in early that caused havoc.
    Ok he had a touch of the pumped up loon bag about him at stages - esp when Dermot Sheridan was taking a free kick - Eddie was screaming for the ball like a madman but Dermot had to tell him he couldn't take the free because the ref hadn't blown the whistle - priceless.

He was constantly showing for the ball when the game was in the melting pot and for that alone he deserves huge credit and he didn't waste much ball. That's why i would say that himself, Dermot and Paul Brady were the difference.

Agree with the rest of your post esp if it isn't Errigal Ciarán - Mullahoran whether you love them or hate them are very hard to beat - don't forget Kingscourt were red hot favourites for the title..

And they play the TYRONE champions in Breffni, in 2 weeks time.

Greenngold wrote: »
    Where are you getting, they are playing the Derry Champions from?

The draw for the Ulster Club was made back in Januray... The Cavan champions would meet the Tyrone champions in the perliminary round - who are Errigal Ciaran, and if they win they would play the Derry Champions.

Jesus they even announced the result of the Tyrone Final in Breffni yesterday, they only gave it because the champions of Cavan were playing the Tyrone Champions.

Yes checked there - it is Mullahoran vs Errigal Ciarán in the preliminary round with winners playing Derry champions..

No need for the attitude though!! - they announced a few other results in Breffni yesterday too so no it wasn't because Mullahoran would be playing Tyrone Champions.

• Advertisement

Greenngold wrote: »
    And they play the TYRONE champions in Breffni, in 2 weeks time.

Yeah we get the point - no need to be a dick about it though

Wasn't being a dick, being 100% sure it was the Derry Champions when they gave the result in Tyrone was bit obvious. but sure call me what you want,

The Tyrone Club final and a Club intermediate final in Westmeath intermediate were the only results given. Some Cavan connection with the Club in Westmeath. 2 results.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭cavan4sam

Must say the standard of football was very poor in senior game, intermediate game was far more entertaining ,looking forward to the replay ,
    It was announced for Saturday now rumoured to be Sunday

• Registered Users Posts: 3,402 ✭✭✭celt262

I don't understand why some people see Eddie as a bit of a joke figure but I have to say not having seen him play for a good while I was impressed with him over the two games. Yesterday his presence alone caused Kingscourt huge trouble - they were afraid to touch him and he put a couple of good booming balls in early that caused havoc.
    Ok he had a touch of the pumped up loon bag about him at stages - esp when Dermot Sheridan was taking a free kick - Eddie was screaming for the ball like a madman but Dermot had to tell him he couldn't take the free because the ref hadn't blown the whistle - priceless.

He was constantly showing for the ball when the game was in the melting pot and for that alone he deserves huge credit and he didn't waste much ball. That's why i would say that himself, Dermot and Paul Brady were the difference.

I can't believe that someone who was at the game yesterday could think that Eddie Reilly had a good game.

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭muincav

Yes I was at the game. To be fair to the referee there was so much happening that it was difficult to keep on top of it - don't think he was helped much by his officials either but in saying that he was the same for both sides.

The tackle by Trevor Crowe imho deserved a yellow (which is how it was dealt with) - as I saw it he lined the Cootehill guy up to shoulder him and missed him - not a red card, looked bad but that's the way I saw it. Did he get a broken nose in the incident??

The Cootehill red was the right call - it was a punch in the face.

Behaviour of both sets of players at times left a lot to be desired especially in the second half but Lacken did have the classier players and more football brain about them and should win the replay..

I totally agree with you re last point - only it was more than one Lacken player involved - it was at least three and I was in line with the incident - one of the most disgusting things I have seen at a football match and ball should have been moved in to straight in front of the posts.

And with a name like muincav are you sure you're not from Cootehill :)
    Yes from Cootehill, but maybe a Goonie...lol...
    Red card for Cootehill lad was correct as I was close enough to see he mad contact right on the nose, but only after being grabbed by the throat and punched in the stomach but deserved to go...to be honest I was right at the wire at the town end and believe me Trevor Crowe lined the young lad up but meant to do what he done and totally deserved Red, and could have had red for an earlier incident.
    I agree that most of the other officials were of little help especially the umpires as the stood like statues when there was incidents going on from both teams...During the penalty incident young Hayes was floored with a punch and a Lacken player tried to help him up by pulling his hair and then a Lacken player put the boot into Hayes on the floor,,,If the Umps cant see stuff like that they should not be there...
    I think Cootehill have some very good players but are too small but if there is a strict ref in the replay it will suit them, but if you have a ref like yesterday who let the bigger men get away with fouls on smaller players the it will be Lacken. If Cootehill stop kicking high balls into the forwards they will win it no problem....

Eddie Reilly was very poor, he came into the game in the last 10 minutes. Caught one or 2 good balls near the end, Got a score in the second half, any half decent forward would have scored it, nothing to shout about.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭cavan4sam

was at the intermediate final replay last night , it was a very good game won by a stronger lacken team

the big downer on this was the rascist remarks made to a cootehill player this is not acceptable at any level and is a downright disgrace
    the referee was informed of this and took no action

this is NOT an allegation and did happen so no amount of denying this will make it go away
    that poor young player left the field in tears at half time

the lacken player involved knows who he is and i hope this tarnishes his medal forever

the cootehill player involved show great courage by taking the field for the 2nd half and putting a fine performance in

lets hope the cavan county board move swiftly and deal with this and not let this become common place

muincav wrote: »
    Yes from Cootehill, but maybe a Goonie...lol...
    Red card for Cootehill lad was correct as I was close enough to see he mad contact right on the nose, but only after being grabbed by the throat and punched in the stomach but deserved to go...to be honest I was right at the wire at the town end and believe me Trevor Crowe lined the young lad up but meant to do what he done and totally deserved Red, and could have had red for an earlier incident.
    I agree that most of the other officials were of little help especially the umpires as the stood like statues when there was incidents going on from both teams...During the penalty incident young Hayes was floored with a punch and a Lacken player tried to help him up by pulling his hair and then a Lacken player put the boot into Hayes on the floor,,,If the Umps cant see stuff like that they should not be there...
    I think Cootehill have some very good players but are too small but if there is a strict ref in the replay it will suit them, but if you have a ref like yesterday who let the bigger men get away with fouls on smaller players the it will be Lacken. If Cootehill stop kicking high balls into the forwards they will win it no problem....

Will have to take your word on the incident at the end and to be honest talking to a lot of people since the game would back up your version of events and it should have been red. I believe there was a number of similar incidents in the semi-final against Crosserlough..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,854 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

theres definitely be a Cavan man in the World Handball final according to a tweet from the handball CEO
    Paul Brady will meet fellow Cavan man Michael Finnegan in the mens open semis following the world champion's smooth win over Luis Cordova...

• Advertisement

theres definitely be a Cavan man in the World Handball final according to a tweet from the handball CEO

Unbelievable achievement for Michael. The semi should be very interesting.

Mardy Bum wrote: »
    Unbelievable achievement for Michael. The semi should be very interesting.

Phenomenal achievement from a real PRO - will be a strange one for him playing against his clubmate and long time doubles partner..

Phenomenal achievement from a real PRO - will be a strange one for him playing against his clubmate and long time doubles partner..

They played against each other in the last worlds too in the last 16 or quarters. They always seem to meet on the international stage.

Another Fantastic Achievement from Paul Brady last night to win World Hanball championship for the fourth time in a row.

After being man of the match in the County Final and one of the most dedicated, unassuming guys you could meet, he deserves every honour he has achieved.

For me he could be the best sportsman Cavan has ever produced.

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭augustus gloop

i remember my days in st pats playing handball with paul brady and he was a cut above even then, little did we know he would become the legend he has, credit must go also to Fr. John Gilhooley, a man who could see pauls talent then and helped him on his path, congrats again Paul

i remember my days in st pats playing handball with paul brady and he was a cut above even then, little did we know he would become the legend he has, credit must go also to Fr. John Gilhooley, a man who could see pauls talent then and helped him on his path, congrats again Paul

Huge credit also to Kingscourt handball club which has produced at least two world champions - they have invested hugely in facilities which are world class - Kingspan also deserve huge credit for their support of handball in Kingscourt..

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭breffni666

Huge credit also to Kingscourt handball club which has produced at least two world champions - they have invested hugely in facilities which are world class - Kingspan also deserve huge credit for their support of handball in Kingscourt..

+1 if you have good facilities then the results will follow. The 3G at Breffni has been a godsend to hurling, you will see over the years ahead how much it has helped.Now for a proper indoor arena................

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭breffni666

Bad result for Cavan football again today. Just goes to show that nothing has changed at all. Mediocre at best. No leadership from the top, the acceptance of substandard football should no longer be the case. If this is supposed to be the best we have then the future is grim. Division 4 awaits! Is there anything that can be done to improve the standard of football here? Have we really tried everything?

Bad result for Cavan football again today. Just goes to show that nothing has changed at all. Mediocre at best. No leadership from the top, the acceptance of substandard football should no longer be the case. If this is supposed to be the best we have then the future is grim. Division 4 awaits! Is there anything that can be done to improve the standard of football here? Have we really tried everything?

Yes it was a bad day in so far as our senior county championship is light years behind the best of Ulster - that's a simple fact. Wasn't at the games today but from everything I have heard it was men against boys. Well done to Lacken though - cracking result from them.

The county teams have to be given a chance - they have gone things right at underage level to a big extent. Peter Donnelly is a superb addition to the backroom team so that's a positive. This year will tell a lot about the progression at the senior county team - another poor season could see wholesale changes again but we need to learn patience in Cavan and give the county team some backing and support. Look at Division 3 this year - it will be very competitive with Meath and Monaghan there - that can only be good for Cavan.

At schools level progress is also being made esp with St. Pats being competitive again - that again has to be positive.

Club football though needs to be adressed and while I view the county board as a self serving clueless bunch of muppets, the new format at senior level represents a good chance to bring the level of club football up but I would have went further and went for more amalgamations. Cavan has more senior clubs per population that every county except Leitrim and Laois and to be honest it shows in the level of football played in the county.

The county final was dreadful - exciting but dreadful quality wise and there was no current county players involved (not 100% sure on this but maybe one) in a county final - there is something wrong with that. The Gaels dominating for years hasn't helped the standard of football either so something has to change and the Kerry model is the one I would go for - you play for your club at intermediate/junior level but outside of the top 4 you must amalgamate to play in the senior championship - means more game time for players and a better quality championship.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭KeepTheFaith

Sorry now but what are you on about? At what point were we convinced that anything had changed significantly in Cavan football, and especially at club level? Mullahorn took a hammering and just like last year where the Gaels were beaten by the worst Club team in Ulster, it shows that we are at the bottom of the pile.
    I hope you are being sarcastic when you ask have we tried everything, we have tried virtually nothing! Small tweaks in the format here and there but nothing significant.
    The reality is that the first real attempt to improve club football in Cavan (and provide support to the good work done at the county development squads) is the changes coming in next year. And already we are hearing whispers that the clubs are ready to revolt in order to regain senior status!!
    The same clubs won't even send representatives to coaching conferences and training days...

Some Cavan people need a massive reality check, the sense of expectation based on what is a relatively small amount of success in the past 2 years is extraordinary. People already talking as if Terry must deliver promotion next year or he is under pressure, with a Div 3 that will contain Antrim, Meath and Monaghan?? Complete and utter madness.

There are green shoots appearing, U21 success, Minor Success, St. Pats return to competitiveness. But these are nothing more than small signs of hope and a massive amount of continued effort is needed if we are to become a half decent senior side, as is PATIENCE from the Gaels of Cavan.

Advertisement