Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Official Cavan GAA Discussion thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭Jampip

lycan238 wrote: »
    Did we win? What was the score? Was it a good match?

2-14 to 1-8. We won.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

lycan238 wrote: »
    Did we win? What was the score? Was it a good match?

Won 2-14 to 1-8. Argue with both goals in second half. Was following on facebook.

Jampip wrote: »
    Dolan Park Pitch Opening (2nd half,21 min) Cavan 1-11 Meath 1-7 #gaa M Argue fist to the net Cavan GOAL

One was a fisted goal so I'd imagine full forward. Looks like he'll start there vs Monaghan. I therefore predict the team to be:

Gilly
    McLoughlin
    Dunne
    Clarke
    F Flanagan
    McEnroe
    O'Reilly
    Corr
    McKiernan
    Mackey
    Reilly
    Dara Mc
    McDermott
    Argue
    Dunne/Flanagan

Would agree with that as a starting 15 with Flanagan ahead of Martin Dunne. Would prefer Farrelly in nets but gilly will probably start.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭lycan238

2-14 to 1-8. We won.
    Tom Joad wrote: »
    Won 2-14 to 1-8. Argue with both goals in second half. Was following on facebook.

nice one almost double scores 20 vs 11 always gets the confidence up. Lets hope for a great performance vs Monaghan.

Did I see changes to the championship format in todays sunday world something to do with marches? How would that effect us if we beat monaghan and get to ulster final?

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭KeepTheFaith

I'd agree that will be the starting team too. Clarke to pick up McManus. Concerned about Argue at Full Forward though, it's a sign of slight desperation on behalf of management. And highly unlikely that a guy who plays most of his football at midfield can come in and make an impact in the Ulster Championship at full forward.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭cavan4sam

lycan238 wrote:
    Did I see changes to the championship format in todays sunday world something to do with marches? How would that effect us if we beat monaghan and get to ulster final?

I think it only impacts on the All Ireland Semi format. Unfortunately it might not affect us this year .
    Re. Argue at full forward i quite the idea of a target man but i think our problem will be the same as when keating and givney were on the square and that will be lack of ball quickly into them

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭Thunderbirds

Keating got lots of ball but often shot from ridiculous angles. Giveny just couldn't play with his back to goal. Did Killian Clarke do hamstring again?

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Keating got lots of ball but often shot from ridiculous angles. Giveny just couldn't play with his back to goal. Did Killian Clarke do hamstring again?
    Dead leg as far as I know.

Anyone have the team from last night?
    I'd agree that will be the starting team too. Clarke to pick up McManus. Concerned about Argue at Full Forward though, it's a sign of slight desperation on behalf of management. And highly unlikely that a guy who plays most of his football at midfield can come in and make an impact in the Ulster Championship at full forward.

I think someone is needed in there so that we can mix it up. I'm not sure Argue is the man from what I've seen so far but I'm sure they will have been working on it in training.

Cavan are too slow, ponderous and predictable. At least having a second option allows some tatical change now and again, and keeps the oppposition guessing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭willabur

Anyone have the team from last night?

I think someone is needed in there so that we can mix it up. I'm not sure Argue is the man from what I've seen so far but I'm sure they will have been working on it in training.

Cavan are too slow, ponderous and predictable. At least having a second option allows some tatical change now and again, and keeps the opposition guessing.

When you are playing against the blanket defence the tactic least likely to work is the long ball in, it just doesn't bear fruit. Its far too easy to defend against a ball coming 60 yards than it is one that is coming from 20-30 yards.

Its the ponderous nature of our build up which hurts us, it allows defence to regroup. In our system we need our half backs raiding at every opportunity, we need lads breaking lines so that defenders get committed and the over lap develops. If we don't get lads running off the ball then thats when the passing becomes lateral or backwards, where an intercept is often fatally dealt with. Armagh played us like a tiny fiddle last year this way.

Also as a team we clearly have players who are designated shooters, if these guys get shut out of the game then we are in major trouble. Guys in posession regularly get into great positions but are paralysed because its not their 'job' to shoot.

• Advertisement

Cavan scorers: Martin Reilly 0-6, Michael Argue 2-0, Jack Brady 0-4, Cian Mackey 0-3, Damien O'Reilly 0-1

Cavan Team: Conor Gilsenan, Killian Brady, Rory Dunne, Feraghal Flanagan, Niall Murray, James McEnroe, Ciaran Brady, Killian Clarke, Damien O'Reilly, Barry Reilly, Cian Mackey, Martin Reilly, Martin Dunne, Ronan Flanagan, Jack Brady.
    Subs: Tomas Corr, Michael Lyng, Michael Argue, Paul Smith, Jason McLoughlin, Brendan Fitzpatrick, Christopher Conroy, Gearoid McKiernan.

willabur wrote: »
    When you are playing against the blanket defence the tactic least likely to work is the long ball in, it just doesn't bear fruit. Its far too easy to defend against a ball coming 60 yards than it is one that is coming from 20-30 yards.

Its the ponderous nature of our build up which hurts us, it allows defence to regroup. In our system we need our half backs raiding at every opportunity, we need lads breaking lines so that defenders get committed and the over lap develops. If we don't get lads running off the ball then thats when the passing becomes lateral or backwards, where an intercept is often fatally dealt with. Armagh played us like a tiny fiddle last year this way.

Also as a team we clearly have players who are designated shooters, if these guys get shut out of the game then we are in major trouble. Guys in posession regularly get into great positions but are paralysed because its not their 'job' to shoot.

I don't know if its fair to say lads are designated shoot. I think there are players who are afraid to shoot and this has been a problem going back years.

I've often seen Martin Reilly take an extra solo or run into trouble when he could have taken a shot a few steps previous for example.

I agree totally with what you're saying re players breaking at speed but its been our problem now since 2013 and I can't see it changing rapidly in a number of weeks. It's probably the one criticism I can land at Terry's feet that this has been a problem that simply hasn't been worked on.

I do believe that we have players who are good at carrying the ball and could fulfill this role.

I agree totally with what you're saying re players breaking at speed but its been our problem now since 2013 and I can't see it changing rapidly in a number of weeks. It's probably the one criticism I can land at Terry's feet that this has been a problem that simply hasn't been worked on.

This is a real head scratcher as we have a few players that can break at speed and really hurt teams but we only do it very occassionally and if it was something we done more often we could get a lot of joy from it. In one of the league matches in Breffni, Dara McVetty had a 10 min spell where he kept running at defenders from midfield and it caused panic but then we didn't do it again during the match.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Who is refereeing this game lads?
    I was talking to a Kingscourt man last week and he does not want Marty Duffy or Graham Reilly for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭rrs

Padraig Hughes from Crossmaglen, expect the 50/50 calls to go Monaghans way.

rrs wrote: »
    Padraig Hughes from Crossmaglen, expect the 50/50 calls to go Monaghans way.

why?

I've seen him ref a few cavan games. Westmeath last year in the qualifiers. Down this year in the league and wasn't impressed. Maybe it was due to the tussle in the athletic grounds last year ..cavan v armagh

Crossmaglen close to monaghan border so he would know a few players that direction

rrs wrote: »
    I've seen him ref a few cavan games. Westmeath last year in the qualifiers. Down this year in the league and wasn't impressed. Maybe it was due to the tussle in the athletic grounds last year ..cavan v armagh

Crossmaglen close to monaghan border so he would know a few players that direction

meh, I'd say the refs have been around the country so many times at this stage that they have all had equal opportunity to piss each and every country and their supporters off. Fact of the matter is that it is a very difficult sport to referee as so many situations/fouls can be interpreted both ways.

I think they should go for refs in outside Provinces for Ulster Championship games...

Castleblaney, Inniskeen, Clontibret, Doohamlet, are all 15 minutes or so from Crossmaglen. Not saying they are all pally with the South Armagh people, but would be familiar enough.

Your argument doesn't stack up I'm afraid. If anything a neighbouring ref is going to go against the local rival rather than go for them

the bigger issue with GAA referees is not to do with bias rather down to plain competency.

• Advertisement

There wouldn't be a bad rivalry between Monaghan and Armagh, it's not Tyrone and Armagh rivalry.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Apparently all referees are appointed for games by Pat McEneaney, a Monaghan man.

Tom Joad wrote: »
    This is a real head scratcher as we have a few players that can break at speed and really hurt teams but we only do it very occassionally and if it was something we done more often we could get a lot of joy from it. In one of the league matches in Breffni, Dara McVetty had a 10 min spell where he kept running at defenders from midfield and it caused panic but then we didn't do it again during the match.

That's the problem. We do have players who can do it but they aren't encouraged too it appears. Ronan Flanagan is a great carrier of the ball for example but his play under Terry Hyland has been very negative.

I remember a few years back in the league under Val against Sligo where he was man of the match basically playing a free role following the ball. The tactic seemed to be that, when a Cavan man was in trouble, Flanagan was always nearby, free to be given the ball and carry it which he was more than capable of doing.
    willabur wrote: »
    Your argument doesn't stack up I'm afraid. If anything a neighbouring ref is going to go against the local rival rather than go for them

the bigger issue with GAA referees is not to do with bias rather down to plain competency.

There wouldn't be any bad blood between Monaghan and Armagh. They wouldn't essentially be seen as rivals, even though they are neighbouring counties.

I do think the GAA should move away from counties when appointing referees. For example, everyone knows our history with Cormac Reilly, a Meath man. He may be from a different province but he's still from a bordering county. Are there not plenty of southern referees could taken Cavan games?

The scenario a couple of years back where our own Joe McQuillan reffed 6 of Dublin's 7 or 8 games in the Championship was ridiculous.

Heard Darren Hughes has broke a bone in his foot.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,232 ✭✭✭tanko

Heard Darren Hughes has broke a bone in his foot.

I heard it was Conor McManus :rolleyes:

tanko wrote: »
    I heard it was Conor McManus :rolleyes:

Appreciate the sarcasm but he actually has. If I was dealing with bull I'd go on hoganstand.

Appreciate the sarcasm but he actually has. If I was dealing with bull I'd go on hoganstand.

heard the same rumour from a Monaghan man today - would be a big loss to them but it could all be smoke and mirrors stuff.

Fair enough, but I'll believe it when I see it. He would be a big loss to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭baconsarnie

tanko wrote: »
    Fair enough, but I'll believe it when I see it. He would be a big loss to them.

Cavan black ops team is in full swing. 1st- get a young lad testing positive for performance enhancing drugs

2nd: Hughes is nobbled

By the 24th Mc Manus will be abducted by aliens, Clerkin will have left to play professional tiddlywinks & Mone will leave to pursue his dream of acting in a broadway musical

It's all coming together nicely

• Advertisement

Why is there no Monaghan Gaa thread on here? There's enough of them hanging around Boards. They could tell us for sure what's going on.

Advertisement