Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Howth Hill Climb

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31,010 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

ccull123 wrote: »
    Could someone please tell me what gradient (% wise) the howth hill is going from the sutton side?

About 3% average, and about 6% when it's not flat or downhill.

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭ccull123

Lumen wrote: »
    Could someone please tell me what gradient (% wise) the howth hill is going from the sutton side?

About 3% average, and about 6% when it's not flat or downhill.

I was thinking of doing the tour de burden this year(106km route) and it states on the website it has a gradient of 16% in spots.... PAIN comes to mind:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,365 ✭✭✭Lusk Doyle

I was thinking of doing the tour de burden this year(106km route) and it states on the website it has a gradient of 16% in spots.... PAIN comes to mind:)

Right hand side of the church in howth for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭greenmat

Personal best today for me of 8:13. Don't tell anyone but the wind conditions this morning were idea.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭manwithaplan

greenmat wrote: »
    Don't tell anyone but the wind conditions this morning were idea.:)

What wind?

I did 7.16 this evening. I'm having a couple of seconds off that too for a standing start.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,734 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

New PB, 9.24 immediately after doing the village side and not really going for it. Defo very favourable wind conditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭greenmat

What wind?

I did 7.16 this evening. I'm having a couple of seconds off that too for a standing start.
    Good stiff breeze at about 12 noon today blowing right up the hill. Pushed my fat ass most of the way.

greenmat wrote: »
    Good stiff breeze at about 12 noon today blowing right up the hill. Pushed my fat ass most of the way.

I was joking. I wouldn't get within an asses roar of my time on a normal day.

I wouldn't get within an asses roar of my time on a normal day.

Based on my developing database of "times I've been up Howth" and "times I've been dropped on a hill in a race where mwap is soft pedalling at the front" I beg to differ.

I don't see it on Strava. Does this mean you're one of those fast luddites? What are you doing on the internet? :pac:

I am an arch-luddite. No GPS, no speedo. Timed on the stopwatch on my phone from a standing start at the white line outside the soccer club field to the lamp post opposite the Irish Times sign.

Strava looks fun though so I may emerge blinking into the light one of these days. I must look it up for the Howth times actually.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭C3PO

...... at the white line outside the soccer club field ...

I've a pain in my arse trying to find the start line ..... where exactly is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

There's a soccer pitch opposite the cemetary. There's no slope in the footpath at the entrance so there's a concrete ramp against the curb. The extremely faint 50cm long white start line is at the uphill end of this ramp...

I don't think the Strava segment starts there. The last couple of times I've started my lap timer as I pass the bus stop and again at the shop, and the Strava time has been about 10s shorter.

Did it again today, 7:32 according to Strava. 14W more power, big tailwind, 6 seconds slower than last time. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭C3PO

Did it again today, 7:32 according to Strava. 14W more power, big tailwind, 6 seconds slower than last time. :rolleyes:

Weird ..... I did it at about 5pm and there was a strong headwind! Really hard work for the 1st half!

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭donal2000

I don't think the Strava segment starts there. The last couple of times I've started my lap timer as I pass the bus stop and again at the shop, and the Strava time has been about 10s shorter.

Good time. I think I spotted you again. Canyon Ultimate, green/black jersey around 3:20pm? I was walking along the track that leads up to Sutton. It was the bike that caught my attention :D

C3PO wrote: »
    Weird ..... I did it at about 5pm and there was a strong headwind! Really hard work for the 1st half!

TBH I've no idea, the wind was all over the place today. Roll on the summer doldrums!

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭riparooo

Well training seems to work!

Started cycling in March 2011, bought a Garmin in May and timed myself on the sutton side in June. First time was 11.42 and I was wiped.

Timed myself tonight for the first time since last September and got 9.19. With more sensible pacing I should be able to get under 9mins.

I did the first bit (about 1k) in 2.30 mins out of the saddle and to be honest never really fully recovered and so lost lots of time in the flat bit due as I was gasping. Legs were always fine just felt like I was on top of everest trying to get air into me.

Tough given I'm a 20 a day man for the past 20 years, what should I expect!

riparooo wrote: »
    Well training seems to work!

Started cycling in March 2011, bought a Garmin in May and timed myself on the sutton side in June. First time was 11.42 and I was wiped.

Timed myself tonight for the first time since last September and got 9.19. With more sensible pacing I should be able to get under 9mins.

I did the first bit (about 1k) in 2.30 mins out of the saddle and to be honest never really fully recovered and so lost lots of time in the flat bit due as I was gasping. Legs were always fine just felt like I was on top of everest trying to get air into me.

Tough given I'm a 20 a day man for the past 20 years, what should I expect!

Stay in the saddle and spin as much as you can rather than getting out of it for so long and you shouldn't be as whacked.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

finally did this today, 9.45. Not sure what way the wind was blowing, but its a ncie wee climb.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭monkeypants

Lusk Doyle wrote: »
    Stay in the saddle and spin as much as you can rather than getting out of it for so long and you shouldn't be as whacked.
    Well, that's answers a question that I hadn't even asked yet. :)

7:44 this morning. Broke into the top 20 on Strava with that effort :D

7:15 last night. Didn't pace it that well - there's a few more seconds there for sure! I had 95k in the legs when I went up it this morning and couldn't bring myself to go all out.

thats very early, but what was your time?

well done. ;)

lennymc wrote: »

thats very early, but what was your time?

well done. ;)

You can see it on www.fcukulennymc.com/net!

Cheers though!

You can see it on www.fcukulennymc.com/net!

Cheers though!

hahahaha. Lots of people have been telling me about that site.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭dermo1990

Just climbed from the village side in 9:23 about 2 hours ago...not too bad for a first go

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭MrMischief

I find the Village side a better test as i get bored with the Sutton side. Another good route is to go up Balscadden road (not sure of the gradient but steep in parts) and then onto Thornamby road. Anybody try going right at the church and up Balkhill road? Thats a toughie!!

My best time on the Sutton side is 8.53 (down from 10.59 when i started cycling last year)

MrMischief wrote: »
    I find the Village side a better test as i get bored with the Sutton side. Another good route is to go up Balscadden road (not sure of the gradient but steep in parts) and then onto Thornamby road. Anybody try going right at the church and up Balkhill road? Thats a toughie!!

My best time on the Sutton side is 8.53 (down from 10.59 when i started cycling last year)

You get bored over 9 min? Are you sure cycling is for you?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭NeedMoreGears

7:15 last night. Didn't pace it that well - there's a few more seconds there for sure! I had 95k in the legs when I went up it this morning and couldn't bring myself to go all out.

Got to the top in 09:32 last Sunday and was feeling reasonably happy until I read the above:) - fantastic time! (yours not mine obviously)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement