Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Darkys rom on Samsung Galaxy S

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    Darky took time out and the Darkys rom has been a little messed up, latest has some bugs, most are sticking with rc5.

I only flashed from 9.5 yesterday, what most of here are doing is just flashing Ficeto's JVH base rom with Odin and then a theme with CWM and not bothering with Darkys at all.
    http://www.darkyrom.com/community/index.php?threads/odin-cwm-base-ficetos-jvh-base-roms-for-odin-and-cwm.2814/

Gingerbread themes are here, JVH ones only:
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=11340201&postcount=2

Cool, might do that so. Any pitfalls to be aware of?

In terms of backups what I have been mostly doing is using the free version of Titanium to export a list of my apps to my gMail and reinstalling the ones I want. I've backed up any of the user-data for ones like Fuel-log, My Scorecard etc. but any else I'm not too worried about.

Any amazing back up solutions that I've missed out on? Contacts etc. are through gMail, not bothered about SMS, call logs.

Cheers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Backup your apn settings in case you ever need them
    https://market.android.com/details?id=com.riteshsahu.APNBackupRestore&feature=search_result
    I also used the call logs and sms ones.

Most apps will be fine to restore with data from sd with Titanium, I even restored stock email data only and had all my work emails setup as before. For Swype you're going to have to sign up to the beta and install it from there with your username and password (don't restore like I did or you'll fcuk it up)

Cheers. I only have the free version of Titanium so will be manually reinstalling from the Market.

Have screenshots of APNs saved on my laptop so that covers that.
    Refuse to have my work email coming through phone so covered there.
    Got very sick of Swype and moved to Gingerbread keyboard so covered there too.

Cheers.

Cheers. I only have the free version of Titanium so will be manually reinstalling from the Market.

Cheers.

All you need is the free version, 1st delete all old backups, then make a batch backup of all apps and data to sd. Then after flashing a new rom install titanium from the market and go down through the apps at the end of the list with the strikethough one by one, long press them and restore.

Gingerbread keyboard isn't included, Samsung only, you'll have to source that

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭Gaffs89

Cheers.

Let us know how you get on and what theme you used.

• Advertisement

Gaffs89 wrote: »
    Let us know how you get on and what theme you used.

Will do.

Just got the notification that the battery is at 100% so should be good to go. On that, do you guys leave it plugged in while flashing or what?

I haven't ever had much luck with battery life no matter what ROM I've been using.

You'll be plugged in through usb to flash it with Odin. Don't worry about it, your battery will come right in a few days, as long as its full or nearly full is fine.

Will do.

Just got the notification that the battery is at 100% so should be good to go. On that, do you guys leave it plugged in while flashing or what?

I haven't ever had much luck with battery life no matter what ROM I've been using.
    I'm getting 2 good days from battery on this. I was at 60% when i flashed. Just deleted battery stats the next time I was fully charged.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

What are the benefits for me, if I go to ficeto's rom, coming from darkys v10 rc6 guys?

Have everything downloaded, and odin is staring at me here...........

Ghandee wrote: »
    What are the benefits for me, if I go to ficeto's rom, coming from darkys v10 rc6 guys?

Have everything downloaded, and odin is staring at me here...........

Rc6 is stable, but we all have the urge to try the "next thing". The next darky rom will probably be JVH based. Ficetos is a JVH base.It's very stable and very smooth. Go for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭boardswalker

I see increased mention of themes here lately.
    Can someone explain exactly what they are or point me in the direction of a good explanation?
    The questions I would like answered include -
    Do they add functionality or are they just cosmetic?
    Do they affect battery life?
    If I install one, say Sensation, how easy is it is to go back to the standard thats on the phone.
    I am currently using Ficeto's JVH Base ROM and I am very happy with it.
    It's early still but it seems the best so far.
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭Dothehustle

k proabaly a stupid question
    but i flashed darkys rom 9.2v
    when i load up kies it says there is a firmware update
    from pda:js3/phone:jpy/csc:jsc3
    to pda:js5/phone:jpy/csc:jsc3
    should i do the update or will this screw drakys rom up

I see increased mention of themes here lately.
    Can someone explain exactly what they are or point me in the direction of a good explanation?
    The questions I would like answered include -
    Do they add functionality or are they just cosmetic?
    Do they affect battery life?
    If I install one, say Sensation, how easy is it is to go back to the standard thats on the phone.
    I am currently using Ficeto's JVH Base ROM and I am very happy with it.
    It's early still but it seems the best so far.
    Thanks

Its just a colour scheme, purely cosmetic, no functionality at all. I'm one who likes to completely customise my phone, I don't use touchwiz, I prefer Launcher Pro. I found the stock Samsung theme rather bland, I've always preferred Darkys (green) and now that I'm running Ficetos' JVH base I use steelblue for a change.

k proabaly a stupid question
    but i flashed darkys rom 9.2v
    when i load up kies it says there is a firmware update
    from pda:js3/phone:jpy/csc:jsc3
    to pda:js5/phone:jpy/csc:jsc3
    should i do the update or will this screw drakys rom up

I wouldn't chance it. Why not flash something newer yourself, you're already down the modding road when your on Darkys

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    I wouldn't chance it. Why not flash something newer yourself, you're already down the modding road when your on Darkys

might do only flashed it today smees very nice and smooth .. might go with this of a bit before i move up again
    edit should i even be looking at keis

might do only flashed it today smees very nice and smooth .. might go with this of a bit before i move up again
    edit should i even be looking at keis

Not sure why you used an older Darkys (9.2 is from Feb, a long time in rom development) :confused: 9.5 is the latest Froyo and is very fast and stable, but most of us have moved on to Gingerbread. You can easily flash with CWM to 9.5 if you want and keep all your apps and settings.

Forget about Kies, its a terrible software, don't bother with it myself

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭lewis

There`s no need for Kies man, once you`ve flashed something, the ROM developers just update it them selves.

I think Ficeto's JVH Base ROM is VERY good, probably the best ROM I`ve used so far, not one problem with it so far.

Okay so I had to head out for a while and now I'm back waiting to hit 100% battery before I start the process.

Have downloaded the torrent through scenepalace and gone into recovery mode and disabled all lag fixes and enabled debugging. Just wondering now about the kernel, currently on dark core 1.0. Any need/advantage to go to the latest before I flash Ficetos ROM?

Also, I just noticed a folder called Front Facing Camera Fix, is this just applied through CWM?

Cheers, it's been a while since I did any of this!

Okay so I had to head out for a while and now I'm back waiting to hit 100% battery before I start the process.

Have downloaded the torrent through scenepalace and gone into recovery mode and disabled all lag fixes and enabled debugging. Just wondering now about the kernel, currently on dark core 1.0. Any need/advantage to go to the latest before I flash Ficetos ROM?

Also, I just noticed a folder called Front Facing Camera Fix, is this just applied through CWM?

Cheers, it's been a while since I did any of this!
    There is a new kernal dark core 2.3 included in Ficetos rom. You will get this when you flash.
    yes the camera fix you can do later through CMW.

thanks lads
    phone is on charge so will flash again tonight

• Advertisement

Forgot to ask how I apply themes?

Phone is rebooting now. There's always that horrible moment wondering if it worked or not!

Apply the theme in CWM after booting the Ficeto rom once.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭G1032

Forgot to ask how I apply themes?

Phone is rebooting now. There's always that horrible moment wondering if it worked or not!

Just flash via CWM. You can clear the cache and the dalvik cache before flash if you like. Not sure how important it is to clear both those but it certainly won't do any harm if you do

lewis wrote: »
    There`s no need for Kies man, once you`ve flashed something, the ROM developers just update it them selves.

I think Ficeto's JVH Base ROM is VERY good, probably the best ROM I`ve used so far, not one problem with it so far.
    What theme did you go for Lewis?

Sweet. Will get on the themes later, launcherpro has been pi$$ing me off a bit lately so might give one of the themes a whirl. All done in terms of flashing the ROM though, couldn't be easier. :D Gotta get onto the titanium stuff now though.

Cheers for the help lads.

Just syncing my fb and twitter contacts now, last time I flashed a Darkys ROM they didn't automatically join up with the relevant Google contacts, any way to get this to happen?

In terms of battery is there anything I should do? It's still plugged into the laptop and showing 100% so any tips are welcome before I start using it unplugged.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭G1032

Sweet. Will get on the themes later, launcherpro has been pi$$ing me off a bit lately so might give one of the themes a whirl. All done in terms of flashing the ROM though, couldn't be easier. :D Gotta get onto the titanium stuff now though.

Just syncing my fb and twitter contacts now, last time I flashed a Darkys ROM they didn't automatically join up with the relevant Google contacts, any way to get this to happen?

In terms of battery is there anything I should do? It's still plugged into the laptop and showing 100% so any tips are welcome before I start using it unplugged.

Refresh the battery stats in CWM while you're at 100%

Only tip I have is set wi fi sleep to " when screen turns off" You probably know that one already.

What theme did you go for Lewis?

Red Gingerbread and I`m surprised how much is actually themed, I like it, I`ll hang onto it for a while, still all good here no problems.

You should try Zeam Launcher, I did`nt like it at first, I always used LP, but Zeam a fairly snappy and once you get used to it, its not that bad.

Just use your phone as normal, the battery will settle over time....

Only tip I have is set wi fi sleep to " when screen turns off" You probably know that one already.

I think man with this ROM you`ll get away with out having to do that, I know its early still for me but the battery is VERY good...I did find tough that JQ1 was a little hard on my battery, I had JVO before and it was`nt that great for me, but now with JVH it seems better than it was, must have been the JVB that was the problem....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

Updated to ficetos about an hour ago.
    Glad i listened to you lads, phone is absolutely flying along here!!!!

Advertisement