Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Chillout Zone (Off-Topic Thread)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭belongtojazz

Busy weekend for me and Jazz, we're taking part in our first obedience competition today ( should be a laugh for the judge if nothing else :) ) and I am secretary of an agility competition tomorrow!
    I'm going to be tired in work on Monday :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭TooManyDogs

Good luck today, and I'll see you tomorrow :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,032 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Bailey won a rosette and medal lol - 2nd most waggiest tail :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Congrats Zapperzy! :)

What a lovely medal for Bailey to win! Cute.

I complained here before about a little terrier who is always roaming the estate, I think I might have to call the warden as he partly caused a dangerous situation. We were walking and "stephen" (the dog) jumped out from behind a car and latched onto Harleys leg, so a little scuffle ensued while we dragged the boys on, Stephen kept on biting at their legs. So Harley was very distressed and flighty.

Just as we rounded a corner, 2 little girls screamed "AH LOOK AT THE DOG" and charged at the two boys to say hello, throwing themselves in the grass right in front of them. One shoved her face into Harleys for a kiss. :eek: Stephen was still snipping at his ankles. K dragged poor Harley away from the kids, Stephen followed and I stayed behind with Phoe to try to explain nicely why what they did was so dangerous.

I'm reluctant to call the warden, but a dog who attacks other like that in an estate full of kids is just an accident waiting to happen. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

I have both of mine pierced, got it done the same day I was in a panto and the microphone attached to my ear, ouch! Its much easier to wear headphones (or listen through a stethescope!) if you get a hoop put in when its healed :)

Oh no I never thought of the stethoscope, I have to shove those right in to get a proper listen and find most of them uncomfortable enough as it is. It'l be 3 months at least he said until I can change it, I'l either get a shorter bar or probably a ring. I'm already thinking about my next one, they're very addictive! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

Awww, whispered, poor harley, he's an angel.
    I've had the same issue but with 5 dogs let out to roam. (all same owner:mad:)
    But in my case fear(5 dogs snarling and running at us) makes my little dog growl and big fella bark and growl, I ended up in a snarling ball of dogs and mine got bitten.
    I called the dog warden, later heard they had gone after some kids walking a pup too, as well as pretty much anyone else that passed. They looked up 3 of the dogs the other two were allowed roam still and one after the other were killed by traffic. :(

I know its just one dog but if aggressive that is enough, its an accident waiting to happen. I once saw a terrier that was allowed to roam attack and on lead dog and it backed into the road and got a slap of a car, the owner was lucky they didn't get hit too, thankfully car was going slow enough and braked but dog was still very sore for couple of weeks.
    There are lots of roaming dogs in this town, thankfully most seem friendly and my two are friendly when not mobbed.

I find it very hard to hold my tongue when told "sure dogs need their little walks" or "there's no such thing as house dogs, they should roam free like wolves" (yes I have actually been told that:mad::mad:) or "I don't want them soiling/ruining my garden"
    I also saw a calf at my friends yesterday that has been attacked by dogs, poor thing may have to be put down, they're nursing it in the garage at the moment. Another friend also lost 8 lambs earlier in the year to a dog that was notorious around town(I had to pull him out of the river last year half dead), again owners thought it was cruel to keep him in.

mymo wrote: »
    it backed into the road and got a slap of a car

THIS is one of the main reasons why I got the Julius K9 harness for Bailey - it has a good strong handle on the back. He's jumped out into the road a couple times away from a couple of little bratface dogs who bark and lunge at him - he's terrified of them!! Thankfully there's been nothing coming but I just felt sick after at the thought of him getting hit:(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,002 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

After a long day crying over the Clinic cat being put to sleep today in the vets I think ive finally calmed down. Who knew it was so easy to get attached to a cat after a couple of weeks! I now have my own snuggle baby under the duvet cuddled under my legs in a little tent, he always manages to cheer me up. The other kitty is asleep in the wardrobe. Ive no idea why, little weirdo!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭**Vai**

I know theres a thread to recommend this kind of thing around here but I cant find it. Maybe it should be stickied! ;)

Anyway if you havent seen One Nation Under Dog, I would recommend it thoroughly. HBO documentary about dogs from three different points of view. 1 part in particular is very graphic and disturbing, just to warn you all. Made the OH wail like a banshee and I wasnt far off myself. Brilliant docu though, well worth an hour of your life.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

**Vai** wrote: »
    Anyway if you havent seen One Nation Under Dog, I would recommend it thoroughly. HBO documentary about dogs from three different points of view. 1 part in particular is very graphic and disturbing, just to warn you all. Made the OH wail like a banshee and I wasnt far off myself. Brilliant docu though, well worth an hour of your life.

Is it in the cinema Vai? Or on DVD? Sounds good alright...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭**Vai**

It must have been on tv. Its a HBO docu so I assume it was. I got it from a *cough*torrent*cough* ;)

http://www.hbo.com/documentaries/one-nation-under-dog-stories-of-fear-loss-and-betrayal/synopsis.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

Had himself at the vets today for his boosters and got a full blood and urine work up while I was there. It was a nice breath of fresh air to hear her slightly disapprove of dry food and recommend some raw oxtail. Should hopefully have the results by the end of the week so hopefully all's ok. :)

Zapperzy wrote: »
    Had himself at the vets today for his boosters and got a full blood and urine work up while I was there. It was a nice breath of fresh air to hear her slightly disapprove of dry food and recommend some raw oxtail. Should hopefully have the results by the end of the week so hopefully all's ok. :)

Check the reduced section in Tesco - I got oxtail the other week for €2.99. Wish I had of bought the other 2 bags lol!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,447 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Well, our baby has been home for 11 days now and the kitties are still a wee bit tense.
    The most unfortunate thing is that our tom is back urinating on the window sill in the living room. This is after they are fed in the morning. It's getting really annoying.

In other news, we're getting a run built for them. We're completely enclosing the side passageway in our house and sticking a greenhouse at the end of it in the back garden.
    We're knocking a hole in the wall in the cupboard under the stairs and sticking a cat flap in it. The cupboard opens out into the dining room so the cats will still be able to come in and out.
    The main reason we're doing this is there are cat hairs everywhere and my wife is just a little bit anxious about leaving the baby in the room unattended with the cats if she even has to run to the loo. I know there's next to no chance of anything happening but my wife just can't even doze with her in the crib in the living room if the cats are in there with her and it's a pain in the bum dragging the crib and our sleeping daughter up the stairs whenever my wife wants a snooze.
    Longer term, we have to consider baby crawling through tracked litter on the floor.
    This way, the cats will have their litter trays outside, as well as having their own sun room out the back. I'm going to put stuff like cat trees out in it and one or two of their cat beds.
    They'll still be able to come in and out of the kitchen and dining room as they please but we've decided the living room will have to be a no-go zone for them.

On the one hand, I'm delighted we are doing this but on the other hand, it completely breaks my heart because it'll be such a big change for them. I've loved them sitting in the living room with us for the last few years, with one of them on my knees. I feel so sorry for them and feel like I'm abandoning them to an extent. :(
    I know my new priority is to my baby daughter but it doesn't make it any easier.
    One crumb of consolation is I'm going to reroute and wire the second Sky connection from its current place (nursery - previously "my boy room") into the dining room and leave a chair there so I can sit the in the winter watching TV and maybe keep them company.

I feel really bad. :(

EDIT: I really should add that my wife feels just as bad as I do. She absolutely adores the kitties but at least this new arrangement is not going to be forever.

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭nadey

well maxi the shih tzu got his hair cut today he always looks so different after his hair cuts

fedor doesn't need one as he hair takes ages to grow back so he didn't need one

they are now relaxing in their bed together

fedor is always breaking their toys so i think new ones are in order might get them tomorrow after work

• Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

Heroditas wrote: »
    I feel really bad. :(
    You shouldnt...at all. Your new set up to be sounds fantastic and the cats will hopefully love their own baby-free zone too :p It's completely understandable that you're going to be worrying about all the health and safety issues that come with having a new baby, its natural and soooo normal to be protecting her as best you can.

My bet is you'll relax an awful lot more over the coming months once you get a feel for how cats and baby interact together. Ill bet a tenner you'll be coming back this time next year with a pic of baby and kitties all cuddled up together...on the sitting room couch :D

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Does anyone else have cats who insist on walking backwards while vomiting in order to track it along as much floor as possible? On that note, anyone want to be a professional vomit cleaner? (my parents have decided I'm chief vomit mopper since I'm the one who wants to be the vet nurse :rolleyes: )

They are so appalled at what is coming out of them they back away....

Our huge boy eats so fast then sometimes his belly does not withstand the assault...:rolleyes: he always throws up three times in swift succession, so I aim
    to get him out of the window after the first upchuck. Nothing quite like stepping barefoot in warm cat sick...

My Dad had the back door left open this morning so the cats could come in/out, and he went away. When he came back half an hour later he found the cat outside my bedroom door trying his hardest to push a dead shrew under my door... oh well at least he thinks of bringing me back presents from his escapades :rolleyes: At least he didn't eat it though, I still haven't figured which one of them is puking at night!

My Dad had the back door left open this morning so the cats could come in/out, and he went away. When he came back half an hour later he found the cat outside my bedroom door trying his hardest to push a dead shrew under my door... oh well at least he thinks of bringing me back presents from his escapades :rolleyes: At least he didn't eat it though, I still haven't figured which one of them is puking at night!

"You can haz breakfast in bed!!" :D

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Dublin21

Off home to my 7 week old kitten to assemble his huge new Cat tree... Cannot wait to see him on it!
    Considering he gets hours of fun out of a paper bag id imagine he's gonna love it! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭rorrissey

Ever since Gussie started wearing his new Halti, people have been terrified of him! People with dogs cross the road when they see us coming and parents take hold of their children. It's so weird! Before this they used to comment on how cute he is and now they are all afraid because they think it's a muzzle! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,316 ✭✭✭gavmcg92

rorrissey wrote: »
    Ever since Gussie started wearing his new Halti, people have been terrified of him! People with dogs cross the road when they see us coming and parents take hold of their children. It's so weird! Before this they used to comment on how cute he is and now they are all afraid because they think it's a muzzle! :rolleyes:

I had the same problem with my last dog. Got a new dog 4 weeks ago and was about to buy another Halti when I was strongly advised against it by the staff at the shelter. They suggested that I got a harness (similar to the Halti harness). They told me that the Halti that goes around the muzzle can bruse the inside of the mouth. Quite shocked that they would have it on the shelves but advise people against it.
    Anyway, it does the job so I'm happy.

I'm minding 2 6 year olds untill tuesday... no matter how much we say DO NOT RUN AROUND THE DOG SCREAMING!!! they still do -_-. Thankfully the dog lives in my uncles house. The cats on the other hand are hiding... far far away from the kids :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

I feel for you sillymangox....
    Currently raising two kittens someone found (and gave to me 'cos I have lots of animals so 2 more won't matter:rolleyes:) and spend all day shouting "leave the kitty biscuits alone!" at the dogs.

*kitty biscuits are to be found in the litter tray, but dogs love them just as much as real biscuits!
    No doggy kisses in our house for a while!

:( i think Bailey's sick!! It's 9:00 and he hasn't asked for his breakfast/didn't jump up when i asked was he hungry or gone out to the loo or anything!! I woke up this morning and could hear him heaving like he was going to get sick, then he was coughing/clearing his throat for ages. He wouldn't drink from his bowl when I offered it to him but took a few spoons of water with manuka honey mixed in which seems to have stopped the coughing.. Going to see how he gets on for a few hours. Poor baby

• Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭are you serious

Buddy and Izzy (well one of them anyway) have mastered the use of the door handle, lying asleep in bed today at about 2 (no i'm not lazy, just on nights and didnt finish until 7am) anyway, bang bedroom door smashes open two dogs bounce straight up onto the bed, I could have been so annoyed only I was too busy trying to get my head out from under both of them!

Another update, Buddy has some terrible hot spots on his face, no showing him now for at least a month or so. He had one which cleared came home from work thismorning and two more!! :mad: Trip to the vets a few injections later a load of hair trimmed and he's snoozing off his trip. the vet found another two under his neck so 4 horrible hot spots in total!!

Izzy has a nice bump on her lower eyelid, no doubt from having some kind of lovers tiff with Buddy during the night :p brought her to the vet to get that checked out, all is fine with it, he reckons its the equivalent of a swollen eye after getting a punch!

Anyone seen those denta rask bones around? looks like they're off the market. My dog loves them:(

Anyone seen those denta rask bones around? looks like they're off the market. My dog loves them:(

Gave one to my guy once and like everything else Pedigree it was a messy ending! Anyoos you can get them online - zooplus, amazon, vetuk etc you might be able to stock up and save a few €€'s ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,316 ✭✭✭gavmcg92

Millie had a run in with a snail tonight :P

Brought her outside to the toilet before I put her to bed. She went over to the corner and wouldn't stop barking. Was afraid she had cornered a cat/hedge hog/ mouse etc etc but no... a snail of all animals!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Dublin21

Big article in the daily mail about snails/slugs and lungworm the other day.. Just an FYI incase she isn't vaccinated against it :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement