Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Chillout Zone (Off-Topic Thread)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭Léan

I finally bought a Nylabone for Cato the other day. Oh my god, I don't know why I didn't get one sooner. He LOVES it. He seems to get great satisfaction out of it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,021 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Léan wrote: »
    I finally bought a Nylabone for Cato the other day. Oh my god, I don't know why I didn't get one sooner. He LOVES it. He seems to get great satisfaction out of it :D

Lol my guy is the same! They have dinosaur shaped ones now lol

tk123 wrote: »
    Lol my guy is the same! They have dinosaur shaped ones now lol

Omg! I have to get one of those :D They're great things. I really didn't think Cato would be interested, but he's mad for it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

Whispered wrote: »
    I'm DYING to go camping and the forecast for next weekend seems not too bad. I can't decide. I'm thinking if we bring a fire pit to sit around and loads of blankets we'd be warm enough.

I can see myself sitting there at 2 am shivering thinking "what the hell was I thinking" :rolleyes:

The last time I went camping this time of year I lay awake the whole night shivering with about 400 layers of clothes on in a tent with 2 others. Never ever been as cold in my life, reckon I was close to hypothermia I'd say.

Will you be bringing to large furry hot water bottles? Nights would still be a bit cold without them I'd say!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Zapperzy wrote: »
    The last time I went camping this time of year I lay awake the whole night shivering with about 400 layers of clothes on in a tent with 2 others. Never ever been as cold in my life, reckon I was close to hypothermia I'd say.

Will you be bringing to large furry hot water bottles? Nights would still be a bit cold without them I'd say!

I can imagine! We didn't go in the end but we would have brought the boys, although I'd imagine they would have felt the cold more than we would.

We spent the whole day out the back today. I might have discovered green fingers! It's mad how tired the dogs are after spending the day in the sun.

I hope you all enjoyed the weather this weekend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

The cat had a dental and got microchipped on Friday, poor darling is slowly starting to come back to normal now, mouth is obviously still a bit sore, wouldn't blame her as she had to have one of her molars removed. She had bloods done too which show that she's probably got another UTI or kidney infection coming on, hopefully the early antibiotics should keep it at bay as she is so far showing no obvious signs yet.

On a happier note, brought himself for a walk this morning and met loads of dogs and 2 horses and not a peep out of him! :D He was even a bit miffed as to why 2 of the dogs didn't want to come over for a sniff. Such a difference in him and so much easier to walk him! :D

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 11,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. Manager

Saw this in YLYL. Not really sure why it was there...

I/we got a distinction in our CAP1 clicker assessment on Friday...after a false start! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭gobo99

Hi guys, just wondering if any of you can help me. I got these in pet store today and was told there ok for love birds, but i'm not sure if the girl knew what she was talking about. Google translate says "for all African parrots"

VI21287.jpg

gobo99 wrote: »
    Hi guys, just wondering if any of you can help me. I got these in pet store today and was told there ok for love birds, but i'm not sure if the girl knew what she was talking about. Google translate says "for all African parrots"
    ]

Looks like they're just for parrots - http://www.zooplus.ie/shop/birds/snacks_and_supplements/parrot/126535

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 6,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

gobo99 wrote: »

Those things are made up of a bunch of fruits, seeds etc. found in the native area the birds are found in in the wild so I'd be cautious tbh, one man's meat is another man's poison and all that, especially when your talking about exotic berries and such like.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭gobo99

thanks. I thought when I opened the pack the seeds don't look like what they would normally eat. better safe than sorry.

Just came across this, few laughs :)

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭rorrissey

So delighted! Gussie swam for the first time yesterday :D So proud!

rorrissey wrote: »
    So delighted! Gussie swam for the first time yesterday :D So proud!

:D I remember when Bailey first swam - he was standing in the river and I threw a treat which attracted some ducks..he stepped towards them and they swam a little bit away, another step they swam next thing he swam down the river after them with us standing there - "OMG!he can swim":eek:.. "OMG come back puppy!!" :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

Am so mad. Lexi got hurt at daycare today, "just a scrap" they said. I was bringing her to the vet anyway and they had to sedate her and give her 4 stitches right under her eye. The poor thing, am so mad. They were so flippant about it. Said it wasnt anything they could do as they didnt know what dog done it and so couldnt get the dogs owners to pay up. Ahhhhhhh :mad:

poor Lexi - how could they not know surely they were supervised?

To be honest if I left my dog into daycare and it caused damage to another dog I wouldn't expect to have to pay out, dogs can have little scraps they should have been under constant supervision and I would expect the day care to have insurance to cover all injuries on their premises? I don't think either you nor the other dog owner should have to be out of pocket for something that happened while you were paying for your dog to be looked after. :mad:

Thats what I said but they dont agree and its in their terms and conditions. Its so frustrating. It cost €100 and now she is zonked out. I have to go to work tomorrow and hate leaving her like this. My OH is in Donegal, usually he would be around for a while or come home for lunch.

I'm not gonna let it go, just couldnt try and reason with them today. I was too upset and mad.

They wouldnt even refund the money I had paid for today.

Poor Lexi! :( I'd expect them to have seen what happened tbh? Bailey's cut his nose at daycare a couple of times (he pokes it thru the crate :mad:) and it's always been flagged with me or if he's looking a bit sore etc - so I know they're all being watched and looked after.

I've had to rest Bailey this week. :( His flexicose ran out a few weeks ago - I was dubious it was even doing anything since I didn't see any difference in him until I started him on his other supplement (Luposan) along with the flexicose so I decided to double the other one and see what happened.. A week or so went by and he started whipping his head around looking at his back when he was walking - like he used to in the days before op #1 :( so more ordered and started back on it since monday - double the dose twice a day!
    ANYHOOS - I took him into the park earlier for a little walk around thinking it would be early and the coat clear but loads of dogs off lead running over to him (3 hours too early) and him only delighted to have company trying to play with them! I must have looked like a hysterical maniac holding his collar and harness so he wouldn't jump around lol!:rolleyes: We're into rest day 4 now and the sooner it ends the better so he has to REST -no messing on my watch! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

TillyGirl wrote: »
    Am so mad. Lexi got hurt at daycare today, "just a scrap" they said.
    So sorry to hear Lexi got hurt...but im playing devils advocate here. If the daycare was at fault they most definitely should pay your vet bills eg.for dangerous premises, but with a large amount of dogs (just like a kids creche) you're going to have scraps and that means injuries.

Im following 2 dog daycare places on facebook and while they look fantastic im under no illusion there's no fighting between the dogs, nowheres scrap free all of the time.They will have public liability insurance for when they're genuinely at fault..but you cant expect them to prevent every single incident that may happen with dogs.

• Advertisement

I wouldn't expect them to prevent it by any means, but I would expect them to know which dogs were involved - afterall it could get worse. I would also expect them to cover any bills associated with an injury while in their care. It needn't be a big deal nor would the incident put me off using the day care, but the reaction would make me think twice to be honest.

anniehoo wrote: »
    So sorry to hear Lexi got hurt...but im playing devils advocate here. If the daycare was at fault they most definitely should pay your vet bills eg.for dangerous premises, but with a large amount of dogs (just like a kids creche) you're going to have scraps and that means injuries.

Im following 2 dog daycare places on facebook and while they look fantastic im under no illusion there's no fighting between the dogs, nowheres scrap free all of the time.They will have public liability insurance for when they're genuinely at fault..but you cant expect them to prevent every single incident that may happen with dogs.

I understand that but they have a duty of care. I paid for them to look after her and they cant even tell me what happened. Then tried to turn it and said they had to take her away from the small dogs as she pays too rough for them. She should never have been in with small dogs.

Its the fact of them just brushing it off and not even offering to pay half or even refund my money paid to them. They have now lost me as a customer.

I agree completely with Whispered's take on it.

I was warned about that place but I had to bring her to the vet and I wouldnt have had time to go get her after work. Its so frustrating.

TillyGirl wrote: »
    Then tried to turn it and said they had to take her away from the small dogs as she pays too rough for them. She should never have been in with small dogs.

:mad: I'd be FUMING. Blaming the dog on rough play. My two boys knock seven shades out of each other and Harley in particular as a youngster needed very close supervision when playing with other dogs because he was so rough and rude. For god sake. She may well be rough, but their job is to manage that.

If they want to turn it like that I'd be asking why they hadn't discussed her inability to play without being rough with you and why on earth did they leave a dog who allegedly is rough unsupervised long enough for her to get injured.

I'd be fuming as well tbh. I wonder if this is the same place that somebody posted about a while back - they weren't happy with the place at all. I know in our place the dogs are separated - small side, big side and there's somebody in with them on both sides. They also do an assessment on new dogs to make sure everything will be ok.
    Daycare for me is a place I can leave Bailey where I know he'll have fun and is safe and being looked after - I know if he got hurt they'd call me straight away and I know that they're in control - they know all of the dogs because they've taken time to get to know them. TBH Tilly with your place they don't seem that bothered? Is their passion the dogs or the money they're making off them? If she was playing too rough they as trainers should have been able to correct her so the situation didn't escalate!?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭TooManyDogs

I'd be fuming too. No one expects there to be no tiffs within a group of dogs but I would expect them to know what happened and pay a vet bill. I know of one place where its in their T & C that if your dog is injured ans you take it home then you're waiving any responsibility the daycare have in the injury. They generally don't call a vet out but if you don't bring them home then you get charged kenneling fees!!! I mean what are you going to do, leave the dog there without getting them vet care??? Cheeky fecks gave it all sown up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

Does anyone know offhand if kidney infections are common in cats? One of ours (the female) has been back and forth to the litter tray five times in the last hour. She's only 2 so age isn't a factor. I'm hoping vets will be open tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

Dolorous wrote: »
    Does anyone know offhand if kidney infections are common in cats? One of ours (the female) has been back and forth to the litter tray five times in the last hour. She's only 2 so age isn't a factor. I'm hoping vets will be open tomorrow.

Very common in cats, as are struvite crystals which can become dangerous if not treated (they can lead to stones). If your cat is squatting and trying to go but nothing coming out (or very little coming out) it can be a sign of them. Cats can get them at any age. Definitely bring your cat to the vet as soon as possible, there should be some open tomorrow. If it a kidney infection, a dose of antibiotics will clear it up. If she becomes sicker or goes downhill quickly, bring her to an emergency vet (not trying to scare you or anything, but stones can be very serious and best to keep an eye on her!).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

Thanks, I appreciate it! Sounds exactly like what she has.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

Dolorous wrote: »
    Does anyone know offhand if kidney infections are common in cats?.
    Yep...next to an overactive thyroid (hyperthyroidism), its in the top 3 problems that cats can get. As Lorebringer said, get to a vet asap and fair play for spotting it so quick.

• Advertisement

FUMING after being in the park earlier. Somebody's offlead yorkie runs over to a staffie PUPPY the puppy pulls towards it to say hello so they're going around telling everyone it should be muzzled and there's 'some list' they heard of that they think should be brought into the park. IDIOTS!!!! GAH!!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement