Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Chillout Zone (Off-Topic Thread)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,002 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

Zuroph, there's a very good Doggy Day Care in Ennis, that would be en route from Limerick to Galway, I would highly recommend it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

thanks guys, have ye details or links?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

littlebug wrote: »
    yes :D well maybe. I know she's done it before as she managed to bend the key in the process so now we can only take the key out if the door is unlocked. Once the door is locked the key won't come out. Clever dog :cool:

Yesterday.. I can't be 100% sure. None of us were even out the back door yesterday at all so that would mean we'd left it unlocked from the day before which would be unusual (and very careless!). At the very least she had to open the door by the handle which I suppose would be relatively easy though still requires effort...though strangely she's never opened the door between utility room and kitchen which is never locked and I would have thought much easier to open.

I'm considering crate training for when we're out.... can't see it going down well:(

Hi Littlebug, have you considered changing the door handle to a round doornob?
    Worked for us with a previous dog (shiny ones are best, hard to grip with a sloppy mouth;))

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭belongtojazz

First agility competition of the season tomorrow and I'm getting nervous now :eek:
    If she feels like behaving tomorrow we're in with a real shot of being placed as she's a super little dog, on the other hand she may just act like she has never seen an agility course before and decide to go up and say hi to the judge :rolleyes:
    I run a terrier Lord knows how it's going to go :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,021 ✭✭✭✭tk123

First agility competition of the season tomorrow and I'm getting nervous now :eek:
    If she feels like behaving tomorrow we're in with a real shot of being placed as she's a super little dog, on the other hand she may just act like she has never seen an agility course before and decide to go up and say hi to the judge :rolleyes:
    I run a terrier Lord knows how it's going to go :D

Good luck! We were asked to join the loose lead demo at pet expo..he weed AND poo'd in the ring!!!! The shame lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭ConTheCat

Have the dog sneaked in to watch the rugby, he fell asleep 10 minutes in!!
    Just wondering, when is the normal age to take a puppy off puppy food and onto adult? We have done so and hes 4 months and a half

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Shanao

ConTheCat wrote: »
    Just wondering, when is the normal age to take a puppy off puppy food and onto adult? We have done so and hes 4 months and a half

Depends on the breed, but none of them are adults before ten months at least! What kind of pup is it?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 6,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

You might be best starting a thread for your dog food question, that's kindof the purpose of the rest of forum, off-topic thread ain't the place for it tbh.

Errr . . . . no off-topic posting in the off-topic thread :pac:

Dexter is off to Vets in the morning, becoming a little less of a man. Feel so guilty, he's looking at me wondering why he's not getting any treats right now. Least of your concerns Dexter, least of your concerns :(

Shanao wrote: »
    Depends on the breed, but none of them are adults before ten months at least! What kind of pup is it?
    He's a Cavilier King Charles/Sheepdog.
    You might be best starting a thread for your dog food question, that's kindof the purpose of the rest of forum, off-topic thread ain't the place for it tbh.

Errr . . . . no off-topic posting in the off-topic thread :pac:

Sorry about that, I won't do it again! :P Just said I'd throw it in while posting :)

• Advertisement

Dexters home, lampshade isnt going down well, and he's a bit groggy, but otherwise, a success.

The dog just ate my favourite jersey. Huge corner gone out of it. Could kill him!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭belongtojazz

The dog just ate my favourite jersey. Huge corner gone out of it. Could kill him!!

Aw Con, I no longer own ANY jackets without holes in the pockets, most of my tracksuit bottoms are the same :(

My fault though as they think that's where all the treats live :p

Aw Con, I no longer own ANY jackets without holes in the pockets, most of my tracksuit bottoms are the same :(

My fault though as they think that's where all the treats live :p
    My problem is I need to wash my clothes! He only pulls down mine, never anybody else! Hmph!

you wouldnt think dexter had an operation today, he's as playful as ever, seems totally unaware of the wound, and is happily lying on his vet bed chewing on a bone

EDIT: Actually, one funny story, when I was in the vets signing him in, Dexter jumped up onto the counter, and put a big paw print directly on the "sign here" part of the consent form! Signed his own consent form!

How long does it take for the panting to go down?! I got no sleep last night, had to sleep in sittingroom to try keep him quiet in the kitchen. seems to be associating the panting with excitement and wanting to play all the time. I'm exhausted :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

mymo wrote: »
    Hi Littlebug, have you considered changing the door handle to a round doornob?
    Worked for us with a previous dog (shiny ones are best, hard to grip with a sloppy mouth;))

Sorry just seeing this now Mymo:o Good idea. We're talking about changing the lock anyway since we can't take the key out. We were also talking about adding a chain and extra locks :D Before I went to work this evening I checked the door 3 times before leaving, then left the kids at the childminders, then stopped off at the house again to be absolutely sure she wasn't out again, then watched my phone all evening in case of "your dog is out" text from neighbours. Thankfully she was still in, happy as larry in her bed when my husband got home.. phew! :)

zuroph wrote: »
    thanks guys, have ye details or links?

Here's a link to the one in Ennis if you are interested, I've been up there before, its a very good set up, plus they update you during the day if you're on facebook) with pictures of your doggies running around the place making friends, always enjoy looking at it!

Their website: http://doggy.ie/

Facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/doggy.ie

:)

cheers silly mango. Its missing opening hours I think, but I'll enquire. bastard tore apart another fence panel in 30 minutes today, and escaped. Not sure what I'm going to do with him, so stressed from it.

Opening times are there, easy to miss since you're stressing over your dog ;) Monday to Friday 7am-7pm :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 6,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

cheers silly mango. Its missing opening hours I think, but I'll enquire. bastard tore apart another fence panel in 30 minutes today, and escaped. Not sure what I'm going to do with him, so stressed from it.

It's time to get a galvanised steel dog run :p

Should he be allowed out in the garden like that so soon after his op? My guy was restricted for two weeks and missed playing in the snow lol:(

vet told me he was fine to go out in a day or two, there isnt a bother on him, not going near the wound, as if nothing happened. he was out for a short while, having been inside playing for a few hours before.

That's good he's not bothered with the wound - my guy wasn't either! We joked at the time he was sitting in the snow to cool things down lol! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

It's weird how animals surprise you sometimes. I started giving my pair the odd bit of raw bits and pieces a few times a week, thought the dog would be the easy one and didn't think the cat would even take a second sniff to it. The cat has taken to it like a duck to water and the dog has been the hard one.

The cat has eaten everything I'v given her so far, in the beginning it might have been left sitting a few hours but now she hoovers it up straight away and has so far eaten various bits of quail (including crunching on some bones :eek:) and chicken breast and a whole mouse and will still eat her wet food, whereas she used to be a dry food junkie and I struggled to get her to eat the tiniest bits of wet food.

The dog will eat all raw food I give him but the problem is he likes it too much and has started getting awful fussy with his dog food both wet and dry thinking if he holds out he'l get a nice juicy bit of meat. Can't feed him just raw at the moment so have to cut back on raw to make sure he's still eating dog food. Sometimes I just wish he was a labrador that would just hoover everything! :D

The cat is in the middle of her mad half hour (same time every night) where she pretends to be an elephant running up and down the stairs, she will soon conk fast asleep on my bed until I have to carry a very floppy sleepy cat downstairs later to bed. Dog will be belly up on the couch soon. So they still remain as predictable as ever in some senses! :D

Zapperzy wrote: »
    I Sometimes I just wish he was a labrador that would just hoover everything! :D

I'm counting on this for Bailey Boy since retrievers are the same lol - he's switching to raw today! I went and got 9kgs of chicken legs earlier (22 days of food and €15) and am preparing his meals atm lol.:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

Where did you get those TK? Bought Lexi a pack of chicken wings in Tesco today and gave her two of them. She barely chewed them, I'm guessing thats bad?! She really loved them though!

from FB
    Got this email this morning..... Please share and spread the word. "Last night a friend had 6 chihuahuas stolen from his house in Limerick. All are microchipped and are different shades of cream and gold. 5 females and 1 male have been taken. Can I please ask if you could share this on your page or with any of your friends. Any possible information on dogs offered for sale from any of your contacts or friends could be vital.. Please be aware that these dogs could be moved swiftly to other areas or out of Ireland. If any news please contact the guards in Limerick who will be aware of the case."

TillyGirl wrote: »
    Where did you get those TK? Bought Lexi a pack of chicken wings in Tesco today and gave her two of them. She barely chewed them, I'm guessing thats bad?! She really loved them though!

Butchers ;) They do 5 legs for €2.99 or 2 packs for €5... I went by tescos where 1 leg = 200g so thought I was buying 4.5kg when I actually bought 9kgs lol!:pac::pac: Anyhoos he loved it :) He's exhausted now though because instead of having his afternoon snooze he camped out in the kitchen while I was making it all on the off chance he'd get a tasty sample :pac::pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭TooManyDogs

So probably not strictly a topic for API but still, you're my internet buddies :D My little girl was 2 last week, can't quite believe I managed to keep her alive for 2 whole years! Here's the thing though, we've tried to steer away from plastic toys as much as possible, every time I look at them I think of the amount of time they'd be played with versus the amount of time they'll spend in landfill not biodegrading and feel horrendously guilty. Last year we got away easily because she was only 1 so wasn't opening any presents, we brought quite a few plastic toys back to Smyths and swopped them for either wooden toys or things like books or jigsaws that will last her years.

This year however she really caught on to the idea of presents, her birthday being only 6 weeks after christmas and has been given loads of toys, quite a few of them plastic. We didn't want to offend the relatives and she wanted to open them so returning them now isn't an option. She's only played with 2 of the new presents and the rest have been left aside and forgotten about already. I really really don't want to have so many plastic toys about the house yet, I know when she gets to 4 or 5 she'll have a very clear idea of what she wants so they're be very little avoiding the plastic.

So after that long winded rambling I guess my question is if it's ok to give away the new unwrapped plastic toys? On one hand she's not going to miss them, she's only 2 for crying out loud but on the other hand I have huge guilt about depriving her of some of her birthday presents. I don't know what to do!!!!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement