Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Chillout Zone (Off-Topic Thread)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Like you said she wont miss them, and if you can get away without insulting relatives then great. You could give them to charity on her behalf maybe if they can't be returned to the shops.

I think you're instilling a wonderful trait in your little girl and far from feeling guilty you should be very proud of yourself!

Could you speak to your relatives about this? Even if you can't come straight out and say "no plastic toys" you could mention how much your little one just LOVES books, jigsaw puzzles, wooden blocks (my personal favourite when I was tiny, the smell of them now instantly brings me back to sitting on the living room floor building a castle with my dad) etc, You could mention that she needs a new coat, or has been asking for a *insert relevant cartoon* bed set. It might cut down on the plastic gifts next year.

Congratulations on 2 years and here's to many many many more!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

Nice to see a few more night owls on here! :-P

It's not by choice, I'm working. What's your excuse?:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

Congratulations!
    Now the fun begins ;)
    I think what you are doing is great, I didn't think quite so much about the toys when my girl was small, but she had a preference for blocks and wooden animals anyway, she got a wonderful early learning center wooden dolls house which is currently taken apart and stored in our attic.
    The only plastic toy that lasted was Lego, and my nanny keep all my mums lego, and our lego, so my girl has a massive collection which is also being sorted and stored away as she is grown out of it. (14)
    The only doll she ever played with was a Sindy ballerina doll, also my mums (yes my nan was a horder:o), which is guess where? Yep the attic.

Plastic toys can be recycled, we are doing a car boot sale with the stuff that my girl grew out of, (mostly books though)I have also passed stuff on to family and friends.
    My big thing with family was to ask them for books, my girl loved books from a very young age (about 2), so every year I had a list.
    Its a great thing you are doing, and as we all know, kids love the cardboard boxes the best bit of Christmas or birthdays!

Just to add, I also think about this when getting dog toys, the only plastic toy we have is a frisbee, both mine love soft toys, I won't buy plastic bowls and even their collars have metal clasps.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,021 ✭✭✭✭tk123

So after that long winded rambling I guess my question is if it's ok to give away the new unwrapped plastic toys? On one hand she's not going to miss them, she's only 2 for crying out loud but on the other hand I have huge guilt about depriving her of some of her birthday presents. I don't know what to do!!!!

I would donate them (or could you regift? ;)) - don't feel guilty as you can't realistically keep every toy she gets. Does she go to friends/relatives with kids - bring the toy and then when the other kid loves it tell them to keep it. I do this with the dogs stuff that he doesn't play with all the time lol - bring it to the park and let the other dogs play and usually destroy it then into the bin. Is there a play school/charity shop nearby you could drop them to?

EDIT - BTW Bailey was at daycare yesterday and no probs with the leg!! A big milestone for us! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭TooManyDogs

Thanks everyone! Hubby thinks I'm a lunatic for even feeling the slightest bit guilty, he has a hatred of "sh!t that don't do sh!t" and mostly plastic toys fall into this category. We have duplo lego and will be getting her regular lego down the line but like mymo we each kept our lego collection so she'll be getting a huge start to her own collection! Lego and the like I feel less guilty about because it does last so many years and teaches so many skills, and my bro-in-law gave her a horrendous plastic vets table but she LOVES it and has spent every day since her birthday playing with it so it stays. (I guess she's been to the vet with me too much because she put the dog toy onto the table, lifted it's tail and stuck the plastic thermometer up its bum straight away :D)

Having looked into this last night I came across a fantastic idea for her next birthday/Christmas. Someone also hated the plastic toy stuff so said her child was having a book party, so if everyone who wanted to brought a copy of their own favourite childhood book and wrote inside it why it was their favourite. I think that's a magic idea, and my girl loves books so that's on the cards. The relatives who gave her the plastic stuff don't really know us enough to know we hate plastic crap so would feel bad saying anything to them about not bringing plastic, their houses also look like a plastic factory vomited into their sitting room so they wouldnt understand. Might spread the 'book' word on the grapevine next year, hope they catch the hint.

Hospitals don't take toys that are already out of the packaging apparently but I'm thinking about finding a local community run creche, or something. If anyone has any ideas of what group/charity/creche would need some new toys in the North Dublin area I'm all ears.

I'm not so deluded as to believe I can keep her toy collection entirely/mostly plastic free forever, I know she'll be old enough to start collecting certain toys or specifically ask for certain toys but if I can delay the inevitable for as long as possible it'd be great.

tk123 wrote: »
    EDIT - BTW Bailey was at daycare yesterday and no probs with the leg!! A big milestone for us! :D

Go on the Bailey!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

my bro-in-law gave her a horrendous plastic vets table but she LOVES it and has spent every day since her birthday playing with it so it stays. (I guess she's been to the vet with me too much because she put the dog toy onto the table, lifted it's tail and stuck the plastic thermometer up its bum straight away :D)

Love it!
    I had similar when my then 3yr old was taking my crochet needle to get the brains out of her teddies she had mummified in loo roll!:eek:
    One to may trips to the museum(her favourite place in London when we visit) I think.

And Yay for Bailey!

Whispered wrote: »
    It's not by choice, I'm working. What's your excuse?:)

Having a very annoying and confusing sleep pattern the last few weeks and not being able to fall asleep before at least half 4 every single night. :rolleyes: Regardless of whether I have to be up for college or work the next morning.

:mad: Anyone still up turn to BBC1. 2 staffy types seized as 'pit bull types' simply because they bark and jump a bit and the neighbours are scared of them. :mad: Two overly friendly dogs wagging their tails as they were being led away to the back of a van to be assessed. :( Anyone who knows anything about dogs can see they are just being typical friendly hyperactive dogs. :(

Apologies for the rant in advance. The man got his dogs back. They were 'measured' and believed to not be pitbull types. When the dogs were taken the neighbours said that it wasn't because they were staffys, and that if they were labradors he would still have reported them. When he got the dogs back surprise surprise what did the neighbour say, you don't see chihuahuas and labradors in the papers attacking children and they now have to move home. The level of ignorance is staggering.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 6,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

TooManyDogs, for Christmas get her a giant wooden dolls house, and assign family members a room each to furnish in wooden furniture. Other suggestions - rag dolls, wooden toys, a puppet show theatre, a dress-up box is something that can be constantly added to (and costumes can be home-made), Bird-houses, feeders, tables, insect farms etc. are all the rage for my niece so it's fairly easy here.

When she's old enough to have parties have an eco-friendly themed party, use handwritten recycled paper invitations, make up party bags in brown paper bags with little ethically produced knick-knacks, and serve home-made party food in little wooden bowls, they'll all get the hint after the first party :p

Zapperzy wrote: »
    Having a very annoying and confusing sleep pattern the last few weeks and not being able to fall asleep before at least half 4 every single night. :rolleyes: Regardless of whether I have to be up for college or work the next morning.

No Sympathy from me :p! What has your sleep pattern messed up?

When I'm not working I wake at 4am DYING for chocolate and coffee because it's my usual break time in work. It's ridiculous, even when I've had a few days off I still wake up at wrong hours. And because I have had to learn to make myself get up and go when it feels like the "wrong" time, once I wake up I can't go back asleep my brain goes into work mode. I used to be able to grab up to 18 hours sleep after a week of nights, now I'm lucky if I get 7. I believe I'm slowly becoming a proper insomniac.

Was it you Zapperzy who recommended a holiday home in donegal?

Whispered wrote: »
    No Sympathy from me :p! What has your sleep pattern messed up?

When I'm not working I wake at 4am DYING for chocolate and coffee because it's my usual break time in work. It's ridiculous, even when I've had a few days off I still wake up at wrong hours. And because I have had to learn to make myself get up and go when it feels like the "wrong" time, once I wake up I can't go back asleep my brain goes into work mode. I used to be able to grab up to 18 hours sleep after a week of nights, now I'm lucky if I get 7. I believe I'm slowly becoming a proper insomniac.

Was it you Zapperzy who recommended a holiday home in donegal?

Initially letterkenny rag week but now it's just become habit, so self inflicted I suppose. :p Oh yes the night time munchies, I'v been known to get up at 5am to make breakfast before going back to bed for a few hours and get up for work. :D

It was indeed, can't recommend it enough, we went there twice with two dogs and loved it. I think I'm allowed link to it? http://www.donegalholidayhome.net/ You thinking of heading up that way?

Not only thinking about it - we've booked it :D

What is around the house? Like directly around it. In front, behind, either side. Is there privacy?

What were the best and worst bits.

We booked it on your recommendation so I'm hoping it's great!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

Two years today since we got Ozzie. Time is flying! He's the best behaved dog I've ever had!

Took the dogs for their walk today and counted at least 20 piles of dog **** on the ground in the space of 2 miles!! :mad: It's disgusting. And the worst bit myself and my friend get glared at by neighbours because we have 8 dogs between us and so all the **** must result from 'all those dogs'. I wouldn't mind but we're about the only people in our village who does pick up after their dogs, if I can't find one of my dogs poo I'll pick up a random one cos that way I figure the poo karma is sorted.

Took the dogs for their walk today and counted at least 20 piles of dog **** on the ground in the space of 2 miles!! :mad: It's disgusting. And the worst bit myself and my friend get glared at by neighbours because we have 8 dogs between us and so all the **** must result from 'all those dogs'. I wouldn't mind but we're about the only people in our village who does pick up after their dogs, if I can't find one of my dogs poo I'll pick up a random one cos that way I figure the poo karma is sorted.

It's the same with the route I walk most of the time too, obviously it's the same person who walks their dog the same route every day because along a wall maybe less than a hundred yards long there's a same size poo every 2 or 3 foot. :mad: I'd hate to get the blame for it simply because I walk that route often too. Right beside a playground as well. If anyone said anything to me I'd wave a bag full of poo in their face! :D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 6,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

Came into this thread wondering what's in the kitchen for a nibble,

happily pressing the down arrow while pondering on this and watching tv

- then like a slap in the face:
    :p Oh yes the night time munchies,

:rolleyes: Now I'm ruddy starving, what's quick to make and tasty and won't keep me up all night if I eat it.

Down arrow . . .

sandwich?

down . . .

soup?

down . . .
    if I can't find one of my dogs poo I'll pick up a random one cos that way I figure the poo karma is sorted.

:(

Hunger disappearing, maybe I'll just have a couple of pringles

down ...
    If anyone said anything to me I'd wave a bag full of poo in their face! :D

Maybe not. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

If only I was that easily turned off my food! :D I just had a banana, a cuppa tea and a raspberry custard cream! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭Léan

Oh god, my mother was walking Cato in the park today, she turned her back for 5 minutes during which Cato stole some mans sandwich :eek:. Mortified isn't even the word. :(

Léan wrote: »
    Oh god, my mother was walking Cato in the park today, she turned her back for 5 minutes during which Cato stole some mans sandwich :eek:. Mortified isn't even the word. :(

I was going to ask if this was in Griffith park and if so not to worry as there was a man dumping a bag of sandwiches on the grass (:confused:) this morning but I've just seen that you're in Cork lol!!:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭Léan

Haha afraid not! Apparently this man was sitting on a step with the sandwich beside him and Cato just ran up and took it when my mothers back was turned :eek:. Complete and utter boldness! Needless to say the man was not impressed. I can't blame him, I would've been really annoyed.

It's the terrible teens, he's 7 months atm and challenging everything. :P

Today/yesterday (19th) Phoe was with us a year. And he's staying with us. We're adopting him. :D YEY!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

Big mission this evening to catch Merlin and another stray hanging around the last few months. Snip snip for them tomorrow if i can. Wish me luck :D

Both cats are in yaay! :D The stink of tom cat scent is unreal though,:eek: poor feckers dont know what they're in for tomorrow. Cant wait for the drama of gettin them in the crates at 7am. Anyone have chainmail gloves i can borrow :p

Did you survive crating the cats?

Did you survive crating the cats?
    Nightmare altogether so it was. The alarm went off @5.30am and here was me on ny hands and knees trying to tempt them with ham. Had both toms in and Merlin did go into the trap cage,but the door was faulty so it took me too long to get it down and he flew out. The other lad went MENTAL when i scruffed him (lovely cut on my wrist now).

Stopped trying at 6am and went back to bed as they were havin none of it. But guess who loved the trap cage :D....even though i was p!ssed off Beanie made me laugh so much seein him sittin there. The one cat i didnt want in there lol!

40305610150549738401568.jpg

• Advertisement

Lol @ Beanie with his arms folded relaxing!! :)

Bailey was at daycare today for the 2nd time since his op- his nose is all skinned from poking it thru the bars of the crate and now we don't know what to do!! He can't go into the beds cos he'll jump up and may hurt his legs. He used to do this before and it was healed up but he looks like Rudolph today! It's not like he's not used to being in a crate at this stage either! GAH!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement