Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Chillout Zone (Off-Topic Thread)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭are you serious

Its a new sofa as well! So its extra comfy :p

• Registered Users Posts: 14,020 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Went out earlier both of us kitted out in our rain gear... Bailey jumped in the river with his little raincoat on!!! :rolleyes: :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭ConTheCat

Laughed so much at my dog today. He always runs inside when we're coming inside, but it was too wet to leave him in. He was running up and down the garage slipping and sliding as his paws were all wet :D Poor crater!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

Dexters been very bold today, need advice. He chewed through the wooden fence between me and the neighbours. one of those 6ft by 6ft panels. huge hole. got another half panel, and screwed it on over the hole. he made sh1t of that too in under an hour. given out like crap to him and he knows he did wrong, and is sulking now, but I'm sure he's going to go at it again. need to try board it up again in morning, I'm going for a job interview in Galway and worried he'll get out through it while I'm gone. thinking I'm going to have to muzzle him for a bit to get him out of the chewing habit.

Zuroph, a quick and temporary solution, if you have one, take your washing line down and make up one of these ;)

For the one day you could use the dogs lead and run the washing line through the handle, just have it positioned(or short enough) in such a way so he cant get near the walls

http://www.unchainyourdog.org/Trolley.htm

• Advertisement

he had a proper sulk about it there, went into his kennel and didnt dare get back out, think he even went to sleep in there which is progress. he's back in his crate in the kitchen now, was very quiet coming in, and loads of kisses. I'll replace panel in morning, and if he does it again, he's getting muzzled for a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

Just laughed my arse off at the cat, he was snoozing on the sofa head hanging off the edge, and slid off, amazingly managed to land on his feet (mostly) and has retired to the rug by the fire(where he has nowhere to fall).
    It was like pouring honey from a jar, should have filmed it:D

Ewwww, cat just got me back fro laughing at his misfortune....he sneezed in my face! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

zuroph wrote: »
    Dexters been very bold today, need advice. He chewed through the wooden fence between me and the neighbours. one of those 6ft by 6ft panels. huge hole. got another half panel, and screwed it on over the hole. he made sh1t of that too in under an hour. given out like crap to him and he knows he did wrong, and is sulking now, but I'm sure he's going to go at it again. need to try board it up again in morning, I'm going for a job interview in Galway and worried he'll get out through it while I'm gone. thinking I'm going to have to muzzle him for a bit to get him out of the chewing habit.

Have you tried spraying anything on the fence? Hot chilli powder or lemon juice, there's also stuff people use for horses, crib halt I think it's called but someone could correct me. A few frozen kongs might do the trick either to keep him occupied if your not already using them. He'd be around the age for teething now wouldn't he? Some nylabones maybe?
    mymo wrote: »
    Just laughed my arse off at the cat, he was snoozing on the sofa head hanging off the edge, and slid off, amazingly managed to land on his feet (mostly) and has retired to the rug by the fire(where he has nowhere to fall).
    It was like pouring honey from a jar, should have filmed it:D

Ewwww, cat just got me back fro laughing at his misfortune....he sneezed in my face! :(

Amazing how gracefully they recover! :D Mines fallen off the bed a few times, always lands on her feet and looks around and walks away swaying her ass like nothing happened! :D I think the only thing worse than sneezing in my face is when she's got a mouth full of drool and shakes her head while standing over my head while I'm lying in bed half asleep, she'd give any st bernard a run for their money! :rolleyes: Weird thing is it's the only time she drools.

Jake drools too, when purring, often been woken up by a dribble on my face (or in my ear :eek:) by the purr monster.
    And I know what you mean, he falls so gracefully and just sticks his nose in the air and walks away.:D

Jake drools too, when purring, often been woken up by a dribble on my face (or in my ear :eek:) by the purr monster.
    And I know what you mean, he falls so gracefully and just sticks his nose in the air and walks away.:D

And there was me thinking my darling was unique with the early morning drooling! Do you get a face lick too? :D Absolutely disgusting but yano it's the thought that counts, not everyone gets awoken by a massey ferguson in their ear and a tongue licking their face every morning! :p She used to keep it up until I got out of bed but nowadays she knows better and eventually just settles down underneath the covers!

• Advertisement

he has no interest in chew toys of any sort, makes V short work of the frozen kongs though. I'll replace the panel, and have a big bacon roll there that I'll give him before I leave in his kennel, hopefully he'll work away at that for the few hours I'm off. will try the lemon juice but I think it wont have much effect, especially if it rains! the wood was just there for the taking today with all the rain we've had

Zapperzy wrote: »
    And there was me thinking my darling was unique with the early morning drooling! Do you get a face lick too? :D Absolutely disgusting but yano it's the thought that counts, not everyone gets awoken by a massey ferguson in their ear and a tongue licking their face every morning! :p She used to keep it up until I got out of bed but nowadays she knows better and eventually just settles down underneath the covers!

No face licks, just the drool and nose with the PUUURRRRRRRRRRRR and to be fair he times it well....about 10 mins before alarm every time!:(
    I have never heard a cat so loud.
    He has recently taken to coming walkies with me, the dogs and the other cat Toby, I have to go up and down the lane with them all, my new neighbours must think I'm a loon, oh well at least I'm consistent, old neighbours thought I was nuts too:p

No face licks, just the drool and nose with the PUUURRRRRRRRRRRR and to be fair he times it well....about 10 mins before alarm every time!:(
    I have never heard a cat so loud.
    He has recently taken to coming walkies with me, the dogs and the other cat Toby, I have to go up and down the lane with them all, my new neighbours must think I'm a loon, oh well at least I'm consistent, old neighbours thought I was nuts too:p

Well I get face, arm and back licks, whatever part of me is exposed will get licked. I can't have her sleeping in my room otherwise she wouldn't let me sleep so at least it's a reasonable hour in the morning when someone lets her upstairs. She slept in my room when I was living somewhere else for a few weeks last year, used to be awake every hour or two with her using me as a trampoline. Once jumped on top of a shelf above the bed at 5am meaning I had to get up and remove her from the sink and tidy up the mess everywhere when she brought the whole shelf down, who knows what the neighbours below me thought because you'd think there was an elephant upstairs when she really thunders around the place. :D

The neighbours here either side of me know I'm mad I'd say, I walk the cat on a lead in the back garden and used to walk a rabbit all around the front and back of the house. And if they heard whats said outside at night at pee time, well at least they know were on about a dog. :D

Sitting down watching T.V this morning and I hear this odd noise coming from the kitchen, I look through the adjoining doors and there is Izzy half way through making hole #2 I could have killed her!!!! :mad:

garkane wrote: »
    Sitting down watching T.V this morning and I hear this odd noise coming from the kitchen, I look through the adjoining doors and there is Izzy half way through making hole #2 I could have killed her!!!! :mad:

Well between Izzy and Dexter I know who to call on if I need any demolition work done at home! :pac:

Dexter didnt touch the new fence panel today. happy days thought I. But then I got around back and saw why. He dragged the (3ft x 6ft) damaged fence panel out from behind his kennel and spent the day demolishing that instead. garden is like a woodyard. He's been out for a walk and had his dinner, and made a sniff at the fence again. caught him in the act twice now, and he's running scared the second I'm coming out, so hopefully the message is getting across. Right now he's sitting at the far side of the garden staring at it.

He's moved on to rolling my composter around and trying to get his chew on it. compromise I think, but it's scary how strong he is for his size!

Nylabones are brilliant - you might need to make them interesting eg with a drop of peanut butter/kong paste/marmite but once they get some grooves in them they'll chew away on them. My guy is sitting in his bed chewing his as I type this. He always leaves one end of them untouched though lol - even the 4 ended one lol!! They even make one that looks like a stick :D - http://www.nylabone.com/product-finder/by-brand/durachew-hollow-stick-bacon.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

We had another escape mission yesterday :eek: I'm 99% sure the back door was locked (again). This has happened too many times for us to be that careless:confused: So... she unlocked and opened the back door, I think probably mooched around the garden for a while then over the 5.5ft wall, into neighbours garden, onto main road and back into the estate where thankfully a neighbour spotted her racing around at full speed , managed to catch and take her in. I came home to a note on the door... nearly died!

littlebug wrote: »
    So... she unlocked and opened the back door,

:eek: like unlocked it with a key? Our cat was always trying to learn how to turn the key in the back door lol! :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

tk123 wrote: »
    :eek: like unlocked it with a key? Our cat was always trying to learn how to turn the key in the back door lol! :rolleyes:

yes :D well maybe. I know she's done it before as she managed to bend the key in the process so now we can only take the key out if the door is unlocked. Once the door is locked the key won't come out. Clever dog :cool:

Yesterday.. I can't be 100% sure. None of us were even out the back door yesterday at all so that would mean we'd left it unlocked from the day before which would be unusual (and very careless!). At the very least she had to open the door by the handle which I suppose would be relatively easy though still requires effort...though strangely she's never opened the door between utility room and kitchen which is never locked and I would have thought much easier to open.

I'm considering crate training for when we're out.... can't see it going down well:(

Dexter got out at some stage today. he's chewed at the bottom of the gate, just enough to barely crawl under at a squeeze, but the wheelie bins in the way seem to have done the trick for now. came back to one of the bins pulled out and him bounding around the green happy out. Can't figure out how he'd have the strength to move the bin, I suspect one of the neighbours kids may have had a hand in it, but can't be sure. bin is pretty full and HEAVY! anyway, seems he went on the rob for me today. My van is short oil and screenwash as of yesterday, and BOTH were left on my front lawn by him, obviously nicked from a neighbours garden. I'm terrified by how clever this dog seems!

Getting neutered Monday, and looks like I've a bit of DIY to do in the garden this weekend too.

zuroph wrote: »
    Dexter got out at some stage today. he's chewed at the bottom of the gate, just enough to barely crawl under at a squeeze, but the wheelie bins in the way seem to have done the trick for now. came back to one of the bins pulled out and him bounding around the green happy out. Can't figure out how he'd have the strength to move the bin, I suspect one of the neighbours kids may have had a hand in it, but can't be sure. bin is pretty full and HEAVY! anyway, seems he went on the rob for me today. My van is short oil and screenwash as of yesterday, and BOTH were left on my front lawn by him, obviously nicked from a neighbours garden. I'm terrified by how clever this dog seems!

Getting neutered Monday, and looks like I've a bit of DIY to do in the garden this weekend too.

Talk about being short of money in front of him and he might bring home a wad of €50 notes! :D

Zapperzy wrote: »
    Talk about being short of money in front of him and he might bring home a wad of €50 notes! :D

This is why I signed up for a scent work weekend lol!! I want to train him to find me some money!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Started a new job on Tuesday this week, and decided to leave the dog into day care two days a week, Tuesday and Thursday - so he's only alone every other day. (I can't afford five days).

First day in today. They took him for nine hours.

(Obviously am in Oz so my recommendations mean nothing, but...)

They texted me four times in the day wtih pictures of him enjoying himself, plus sent me a text from the dog telling me he was loving it and had made new friends. I was very impressed. Then I discovered they'd taken a bunch more pics and set up a 'Welcome, Gus!' photo album on their Facebook page!!

So he's completely bloody exhausted (so hopefully the day off tomorrow will rest him and he'll be delighted when we go back on Tuesday next) and I'm delighted. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 974 ✭✭✭paultf

Started a new job on Tuesday this week, and decided to leave the dog into day care two days a week, Tuesday and Thursday - so he's only alone every other day. (I can't afford five days).

First day in today. They took him for nine hours.

(Obviously am in Oz so my recommendations mean nothing, but...)

They texted me four times in the day wtih pictures of him enjoying himself, plus sent me a text from the dog telling me he was loving it and had made new friends. I was very impressed. Then I discovered they'd taken a bunch more pics and set up a 'Welcome, Gus!' photo album on their Facebook page!!

So he's completely bloody exhausted (so hopefully the day off tomorrow will rest him and he'll be delighted when we go back on Tuesday next) and I'm delighted. :)

That is fantastic care! Great being able to go to work knowing Gus is being looked after well.

Ah great news about daycare. I'm thinking of trying Bailey next week or the week after and see how he gets on. It'll be a big milestone for us with his recovery - his last day was the day before his op in October!

No day care in Limerick AFIK :( taking a new job in Galway which will be a bit of a commute, and shift work, the GF can walk him some days, but I'm going to have to try find some option.

No day care in Sligo either. Any dog loving business heads out there reading this there is an opening for one in sligo!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,064 ✭✭✭minxie

Zuroph Theres a new doggy day care in Galway that might help you out
    for some of the week

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement