Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Chillout Zone (Off-Topic Thread)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,021 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Ah is there anything more relaxing then chilling upstairs where it's cold and the dogs asleep...oh wait it's NOT relaxing because a neighbours dog is yapping non-stop!!!! FFS it's going on months!!! :( I'm not even 100% on the house if I decided to be brave and approach them!!! I think if it was a bigger dog it'd be less annoying because it wouldn't he so high pitched?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭VonVix

tk123 wrote: »
    Ah is there anything more relaxing then chilling upstairs where it's cold and the dogs asleep...oh wait it's NOT relaxing because a neighbours dog is yapping non-stop!!!! FFS it's going on months!!! :( I'm not even 100% on the house if I decided to be brave and approach them!!! I think if it was a bigger dog it'd be less annoying because it wouldn't he so high pitched?

My neighbour has a dog with a high pitched bark, she always does it when she can see her owners inside but she can't get in.

Maybe pop a note in the door instead?

[Dog Training + Behaviour Nerd]

VonVix wrote: »
    My neighbour has a dog with a high pitched bark, she always does it when she can see her owners inside but she can't get in.

Maybe pop a note in the door instead?

I would do but they have CCTV cameras lol!!! I wouldn't call them neighbours tbh - they live on the main road and our house is in a cul de sac with somebody else's 'garden/land' between us...yet I can hear it in my room at the front of my house. The guy wouldn't even acknowledge you in the park (people with dogs would usually nod at each other even if you didn't know them) let alone when you're passing him in the street so I don't know if I'm comfortable approaching him. His dog is a little sh1t too - always weeing on everyone and anything and picking fights with other small dogs. Funny it stopped after I posted - maybe they're reading this lol!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭muddypaws

I swear Clancy has a death wish. I bought a 10 m roll of vet bed the last time I was in England, I'm having crates built into my van for the dogs, so have only cut up half a metre of it so far, as that was the main reason for buying, but I've put some into two crates in the house. He will not leave it in the crate, he is trying his very best to kill it, its now in the middle of the living room floor, upside down. Impressively though, it still doesn't have any holes in it. :)

The price of small pieces of vet bedding here is shocking I think, I got a 10m x 1m roll for £129, but saw it on sale in a pet shop over the weekend for €35 for a metre, but it is only 500cm wide. I know you can get good deals from some online retailers, and Bronte Glen who go to dog shows but that is a huge mark up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 413 ✭✭odckdo

Thought I would post a link to one of Damon Albarn's (Blur) new videos called Mr. Tembo. Its about an orphaned baby elephant that he met in Africa (so it's kinda related to this forum!).

It is a real upbeat happy tune. Might cheer someone up!

Official video:
    http://youtu.be/ODG3VRkncBc

Later with Jools Holland live version:
    http://youtu.be/SSyZnlSL7tc

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

Anyone seen the Cesar dog food ad? I saw it the other night, an elderly chap and his little Westie having coffee then he buys flowers and he and the dog take them to his wifes grave, I think it's the bit where he straightens his tie and the dogs collar before they enter the cemetery that makes me a bit teary eyed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭Layinghen

Breaks my heart every time I see that add. It is gorgeous though.

Thunder in Dublin - just got a txt to say the dogs are terrified! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

Was wondering if it was coming after all the weather alerts. Mine just bark at it but I have a very nervy lurcher here that finds the smallest crate he can squeeze into & curls himself into a ball :-(.

Well Bailey was fine with it until last year - he was asleep in the hall where you can hear everything outside (we need a new door :p) and got terrified. That was when he decided to sleep upstairs after 3.5 years!! Again he was in the hall and got a bad fright, which gave Lucy a bad fright so then both of them were upset!
    :D I nipped out a lunch there to look at freezers for my new shed lol :D

• Advertisement

That was an insane thunder & hail shower! Got soaked trying to get all the dogs in & half went into the house, the rest in the kennels so couldn't see if everyone was coping ok. Lots of barking & some whining from some of the dogs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭SingItOut

Alli was a bit startled by the thunder but settled down soon after, the cats came running to the door (usually never see Beau after morning until about 4pm!) so their inside, moone slept through the whole thing. Even The chinchilla stood up on his hind legs at the noise! It's a pretty full house here at the moment :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

Toby stayed on the bed with me til 3am, he loves snuggling right in to me:) Felix arrived around 4am and decided he was going to play on the bed, hasn't done that in absolutely ages. He was playing hide and seek under the throw at the foot of the bed.

I was wondering why Jazzy kept running from me this afternoon, I was at an outpatient hospital this morning, the smells must remind him of the vet. We had lots of thunder and Felix came back to bed the other 3 weren't bothered by it. I don't usually go to bed in the afternoon, just weary from the hospital.

After 9 hours of pain my tattoo is finally done! That last hour was a killer !

The dogs are absolutely hyper today! More so than usual, they just got back from their 4 mile walk so hopefully they'll chill out for the night

So weather permitting the shed will be going up tomorrow!! :D I'm going to throw the kennel (ie toy box because that's all we ever used it for) up on adverts to make space but had forgotten the name of it on zooplus so had to look up my order history. OMFG the amount of stuff I've ordered from zooplus over the years - shocking...and embarrassing lol!!! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

tk123 wrote: »
    I'm going to throw the kennel (ie toy box because that's all we ever used it for) up on adverts

Are you selling it or giving it away for free TK?

anniehoo wrote: »
    Are you selling it or giving it away for free TK?

Well I was going to give it away free then saw the state of some of the kennels that people are paying for so going to try and sell it. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭sparkle_23

Anyone seen the Cesar dog food ad? I saw it the other night, an elderly chap and his little Westie having coffee then he buys flowers and he and the dog take them to his wifes grave, I think it's the bit where he straightens his tie and the dogs collar before they enter the cemetery that makes me a bit teary eyed.

I saw that ad on YouTube and I cried like a baby. My grandad passed away 12 weeks ago and he was a dog lover. They haven't had a dog in 5 years because him and my grandmother would be heartbroken every time the dog passed away. They were talking about getting a little dog the last couple of years, my mam reckoned it was because they were afraid they would be lonely if one of them died. They never got a dog and my grandmother won't get one now because my grandad isn't there to train the dog and she wouldn't like letting him out to toilet in the winter and dark. Anyways sorry for rambling on, it's such a lovely sweet ad!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭honerbright

My OH and I are both on holidays this coming week so we're going to take Roisin up to see her doggy mum and dad and former human family later in the week. I wonder will her doggy mum recognise her?

It's lovely having Roisin and knowing her dog relatives. I met her doggy grandparents on her fathers side years ago and know both her mother and father and I can see all the different bits of both her parents sprinkled throughout her personality. One of her brothers was also adopted by family and lives in England so I got to see photos of him recently :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,002 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

My OH and I are both on holidays this coming week so we're going to take Roisin up to see her doggy mum and dad and former human family later in the week. I wonder will her doggy mum recognise her?

My uncle dog sits our doggies mother for two weeks every summer while her owners go on holidays, they definetly still recognise each other, they act completely different with each other than they do with just meeting random dogs, and mammy still tells off baby when she gets too excited :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭rannerap

I don't know if she killed it or just found it but umi brought a dead baby bird into the house :( we chased her around the house for ten minutes before we manage to get it off her. Eurgh

Yaaay the shed aka BARF Barn is up!! :D

I brought Lucy around to the vets earlier to collect Bailey's prescription (which I waited 20 mins to be told wasn't there :mad:) and she's 2 kgs heavier than him lol!! There's not a pick on her!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭VonVix

Feeling incredibly frustrated right now. My dogs' diets keep getting sabotaged! Normally I feed them in the morning then (lets call her Tina) Tina feeds them in the afternoon. I feed in the morning because she wakes up quite late and I'm trying to keep them in a routine... as well as being able to keep some sort of control over their portions.

They were doing great, losing maybe .3lbs a week. They've gone from being about 32lbs to 29lbs and they have been 29lbs for over a month now. I tried showing her how I divided their portions in the can so it was a consistent amount of each time, her response was "oh, I thought that was too little" and so she increased how much they were eating after me trying to keep them balanced for a good while, and it was working very well...

Now today I am raging. Yesterday morning I fed them as usual (I remember clearly how the can looked), and later on she was going to throw out the beef she had, but then said maybe about giving it to the dogs, I thought sure, why not. It was a big enough amount (enough to feed 3 people), I made sure to say instead of their dinner, right? She said yes. Well, this morning I go to feed the dogs and their second portion from yesterday is gone. So I guess they had three meals yesterday! Gah...

They are due to be weighed today, so lets see how this goes... if there's no change again I will be bringing it up with her. Sigh.

[Dog Training + Behaviour Nerd]

Get the dogs a lunch box each and put their second meal in so she won't be able to decide on the portions herself? You could add veg too and bulk the meals out so they look bigger - we do that for Bailey since Lucy gets about 4 times as much as him lol!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

I feel your frustration vonvix, but in this house it's with training. I am working very hard on getting my two out of the habit of jumping up and begging at the table. K encourages both behaviours sometimes and gives out about them doing it at other times. Neither of them jump up, beg, or otherwise demand attention unless K is here. Now more than ever it has to stop (baby on the way) but do you think he will take any responsibility for it? Positive punishment is ok for husbands, right? :pac:

Yeah same here. We have a family member will not listen to one word about about Bailey's training when he was a pup - never stood up and folded their arms etc but shouted at him instead - they alpha rolled him one day ffs when he was a few months old :mad: As well as that this person is always giving out about something and can bit quite volatile and passive aggressive/downright rude to my mum so when they arrive Bailey goes BANANAS!! Jumping/running around etc and when Bailey is excited Lucy thinks she has to be excited too and then both of them are gone mad! I think it's a combination of him reacting to the person, reacting to how my mum is feeling and then never being shown boundaries by this person. Unfortunately when they arrive I'm always at work so can't step in and my mum is left in a state trying to corral the dogs into crates or out into the garden and stop the madness.

My dad is another culprit - he keeps throwing treats at Bailey which is making him snap everyones else's hands off for treats. He drew blood yesterday he caught my finder out on a walk! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Ah that sounds like a nightmare! Especially the alpha rolling relative. When it's a relative it's not like you can throw then out!

We had the finger snapping thing too but they're getting better. I pretended I was about to throw but did it again and again until they'd sit then hand it. You could see their poor brains trying to figure it out. Now we still throw at times but we both always say "catch" first so the jumping to catch is sort of on a cue. It's lazy I guess but it's working ok so far.

Whispered wrote: »
    I feel your frustration vonvix, but in this house it's with training. I am working very hard on getting my two out of the habit of jumping up and begging at the table. K encourages both behaviours sometimes and gives out about them doing it at other times. Neither of them jump up, beg, or otherwise demand attention unless K is here. Now more than ever it has to stop (baby on the way) but do you think he will take any responsibility for it? Positive punishment is ok for husbands, right? :pac:

There's a couple of dogs here that know my OH is the soft touch when it comes to food, so when it's meal times they sit underneath him. No matter how many times I say "don't feed x, or don't feed y" he still sneaks bits down to them:mad:. And they're dogs that are well used to it in their own house so they're persistant.

Every dog that visits now has a food allergy. Well that's what he's been told;).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭honerbright

Dropped my two doggy babies off at a kennels for the very first time this morning, hope they're going to be OK! Is only for two nights so I'll see them again before I know it.

• Advertisement

I put some sunscreen on alli's nose today (factor 50) and its really red at the moment, I brought her inside incase it gets worse. They haven't been for their walk yet because it's far too warm

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement