Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Chillout Zone (Off-Topic Thread)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

I took 1 of my parents/brothers cats to the vet this morning. He's been losing a lot of weight over the past few months and eating constantly, he's also got very patchy fur. He's being neutered and microchipped too. He's only about a year or so old, he was a stray who just arrived one day so know idea where he came from.

It was his first time in the carrier and car and he hardly knows me so he was totally freaked out. I think it took about 10 minutes for the vet and vet nurse to get him in a towel once he was out of the carrier, he was so freaked they wouldn't have been able to examine him without sedation. Really wish my family would take their cats themselves, for the sake of the cats it would be a lot less stressful on them to have someone they know with them. I'm waiting til this afternoon to see how he is and when I can collect him.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭angeldaisy

tk123 wrote: »
    What do you do when she cries? I've been informed that Lucy lies crying in the hall every day looking in at my mum until she comes out and pets her - she never does that when I'm home lol!!! And the more she ignores her the longer/louder she cries! :p

She usually cries if she needs to go to the toilet!!

Dogs really know how to hit the right buttons don't they?!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,021 ✭✭✭✭tk123

angeldaisy wrote: »
    Dogs really know how to hit the right buttons don't they?!

YES lol!!! She does have my mum kneeling on the floor petting her with her paw on my mums arm/shoulder lol!!! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

I decided to use all the sweet chillies and tomatoes I got in aldi to make sweet chilli jam!
    Found a recipe, quick glance, off I went, added some red onion, cut down the sugar a bit, I didn't weigh it all but I'm pretty good judging measurements.
    I thought it looked a lot in my biggest pan, but I should have read the recipe to the end, it said this is double the quantity you need for the six jars, so now I have 11 jars of sweet chilli jam! (1 gone to lovely neighbour who called in with extra jars when I realised my mistake)
    I'm gonna be popular in work tomorrow!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭SingItOut

It was pouring rain all day here so I had moone and Alli in with me most of the day, the cats were asleep in the bedrooms (Beau had me up at 3am this morning to show me a shrew he had killed!).

As soon as my dad got home from work Moone was on his case whining and barking to go for a walk! Then Alli joined in, I don't think she knew what was going on but just barked for the sake of it :pac: After an hour they got their own way and he brought them for a walk in the pouring rain! The dirt of the pair of them coming back! :rolleyes: their fast asleep now:)

• Advertisement

I'd love to find a way to stop Poppy pulling her fur out. She's really pulling chunks of it out. It's something she's done since before she found us last year. I don't know if it's because she was abandoned or what. We spoke to the vet about it but she wasn't concerned about it. I noticed last night that she's really thinning the fur out on either side of her lower back near the little stumpy tail she has.

I can't believe the force she rips it out with. She was on my lap the other night and she really gives it some welly, it has to be painful.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

To be honest I'd follow up with the vet. It could be due to pain, discomfort or pressure in her back. Some dogs do similar due to anal gland issues for example.

I'm dog sitting for a friend, first time with this particular dog. Omg she's a pain!

Never been properly housetrained, has no idea how to 'ask' to go out. Begs constantly and lacks the most basic of commands.

She's an almost 2yr old Bichon x.

The only good thing I can say about her is she's non-shed!!

angeldaisy wrote: »
    Never been properly housetrained, has no idea how to 'ask' to go out. Begs constantly and lacks the most basic of commands.

She's an almost 2yr old Bichon

I used to work in a MaxiZoo store and the amount of bichon owners with this problem was shocking! This probably won't be much help to you seeing as you probably won't have her long enough but I had customers crate train and use puppy pads and it was the most effective method. Of course the older the dog the longer it took to break the habit.

I have my little Moone 4 years today, love her just as much today as I did then :) Every year on my pets birthdays I take a "year book" picture of them. I took one of moone today I'll stick it in the picture thread :)

OMGGGGGGGGG's Lucy is (finally) in heat!!!! GAAAAH waddawedo!! :p

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,727 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

tk123 wrote: »
    OMGGGGGGGGG's Lucy is (finally) in heat!!!! GAAAAH waddawedo!! :p

Yay!
    I'd advise that you find the nearest entire GR and just let them at it. After all, it's best that she has at least one litter... It'll stop her becoming dominant and aggressive.
    No need for all that health testing pallaver either, it's very overrated and sure, my fourth cousin twenty times removed had a retriever once and he was very healthy.
    :-p

PS to the casual onlooker, I am joking!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

DBB's right, TK. When you paid so much for her, sure you'd have to make a few bob out of her. ;)

boomerang wrote: »
    DBB's right, TK. When you paid so much for her, sure you'd have to make a few bob out of her. ;)

You're both right - sure I have my new shed now and all for the pups to raise themselves in! ;)

She's seems a bit tired and is just snoozing ... in her purple pants lol!! :p

Tara is panned out here after a fun time in maxi zoo.
    She got her photo taken, her nails clipped. Got told she's overweight and got very embarrassed at the way she barked at all the other doggies!

Met some fab dogs, including a tiny black pug and her big brother, a stunning dogue de bordeaux

Cats and wet white gloss paint, not a good combination. So far there's only been a few wet paw prints on the floor, I'm hoping there'll be no fur stuck to the skirting boards or bannisters. Felix and Toby are indifferent to all the decorating going on, Jazzy and Poppy have an air of 'OMFG what the Hell are they doing?:D

Yesterday went to my uncles and caught one of the 3, 8 week old kittens.
    Going to try get the other 2 today, little girl we got yesterday was most nervous of the lot, grey stripy girl with white paws and face, so cute, but she's going to take a few weeks to build up her confidence.
    Mother is off to be spayed during the week, my poor uncle can't cope with all the cats turning up at his house, we found another tabby girl with 2 grey kittens yesterday, why do people get cats and not spay or neuter?
    He's working so can't get help with costs of spaying, but on minimum wage so can't afford to keep this up. :(

I really don't know mymo, but people just don't seem to get the fact that cats need to be neutered. I even see it with my parents. They have 2 cats, both neutered, the female used to be a neighbours female that was having kittens since she was a kitten, I nagged them into getting her spayed and she's like a different cat, especially since they moved and took her with them.

There are 3 other cats that visit, 1 is belong to someone else and isn't neutered(male) there are 2 other males, 1 I had neutered and microchipped last week and they've accepted that he is actually their cat now, the other guy I will get them to catch to be neutered, even if it kills me. I'm sick and tired of arguing with them that if you are feeding and caring for a stray then it is your cat and you have a responsibility to have it neutered.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,002 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

I was feeling really crappy all day, then remembered something I saw about donating money making you happier, so I split €50 between two cat charities and I have to say I feel a lot better for it! I think everyone should go out and donate a bit of they can afford it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭sparkle_23

Poor Pepper vomited and coughed up a hairball. She meowed really loudly and weirdly first, we got such a fright... Thought she was choking! She's ok now the poor little kitty

I'm so happy, the little feral kitten who yesterday was hiding from us, but allowing us to stroke he and even pick her up, bit remained very stiff when we did, ran out of the dog crate this morning meowing and jumping up at me!
    She's so purry and cuddly, I can't believe it!
    I'll post pics tonight, still no luck getting her siblings, but we will. Gotta go to work now, but jealous my daughter gets to play with her all day!

• Advertisement

sparkle_23 wrote: »
    Poor Pepper vomited and coughed up a hairball. She meowed really loudly and weirdly first, we got such a fright... Thought she was choking! She's ok now the poor little kitty

Poppy brought up a big fur ball in her litter tray the other day too. Funnily enough I've never heard Jazzy or Toby have a fur ball but Felix gets them. I use Defurrum malt paste for it.

:eek: My mum just txt me (in in work) that Lucy has just flooded the kitchen floor without warning! o_O

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭honerbright

Just home from work and I had to go around and pick up tiny bits of paper and piece my mail together like a jigsaw so I was able to read it because the dogs had ripped out to sheds. I think it's a rejection letter from a veterinary nursing course I applied for, but only half the letter is legible :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭rannerap

Poppy brought up a big fur ball in her litter tray the other day too. Funnily enough I've never heard Jazzy or Toby have a fur ball but Felix gets them. I use Defurrum malt paste for it.

Lucky it was in the litter tray! I was woken up at about five this morning with blue retching and found fur balls on my bedroom floor today :p

I just posted a pic of the kitten we caught in the pics thread, I think she's officially tame now ;)

Hope her siblings can be caught and tamed, may need a cat trap if I can't get them by the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭honerbright

Spent twenty minutes this morning having a conversation with my oh about all things that's rhyme with 'walk' to get Poppy excited. She gets the cutest face when you say the word/any rhyming word and head tilts to the other side with each word, eyes all wide.

Jazzy caught a mouse last night. I was doing the dishes and looked out the open back door, there he was crouched down looking furtive. Poor little thing was still alive:( By the time Mr P came out to rescue it he'd run off out the gate with it. He's been away for a bit in the evenings (Jazzy) and I suspected he'd found a mouse hole somewhere. The grass cutters were doing the public green areas yesterday so it probably made it easier for him to get at.

:mad::mad::mad: Pictures of collie x puppies needing homes. Stop it, you're making my puppy broodiness worse and I'm already a nightmare to live with:D Damn menopause, damn you to Hell with your hormonal Hell. Really really want a little collie x puppy but not to be for a few years at least:(

Collie puppies or crosses are only the cutest little things! my one was even in this morning "helping" me make lunch :D

• Advertisement

:mad::mad::mad: Pictures of collie x puppies needing homes. Stop it, you're making my puppy broodiness worse and I'm already a nightmare to live with:DDamn menopause, damn you to Hell with your hormonal Hell. Really really want a little collie x puppy but not to be for a few years at least:(

Where did you see those?? I'm looking for a new puppy at the minute:)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement