Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Chillout Zone (Off-Topic Thread)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭mosi

boomerang wrote: »
    Came across a dead Pug lying in the middle of the road this evening. Hardly a mark on her, poor thing, and it had only just happened. I cannot understand the mentality of drivers who hit a dog and keep on driving.

I got a report on FB a while ago of a dog dead on the main road near my parents' house. I called my Dad to see if he could find the dog and bring it for a scan at the vets. When he got down there, the body was in a very bad way...it seemed that numerous cars had driven over it. He managed to put the remains in a bag and bring it to the vet. He's still livid as to how the person who hit it didn't stop or turn around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

I feel so guilty. I was just about to sit, well in mid sit, on the sofa when Poppy ran head first into my foot at speed. She'd been tearing around like a lunatic and she's so fast and black and little that I just didn't see her. Now she thinks I kicked her:(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

I feel so guilty. I was just about to sit, well in mid sit, on the sofa when Poppy ran head first into my foot at speed. She'd been tearing around like a lunatic and she's so fast and black and little that I just didn't see her. Now she thinks I kicked her:(

1346213060_When_I_hurt_my_pets_gag.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,002 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

It's coming closer to a time where I'm going to have to make a very tough decision about my poor Dude baby. His bad episodes are getting more and more frequent and his skin is nearly always in a state.. coming into the summer now so we're going to have to start worrying about things like fly strike if flies get at his skin. The only thing is, he is so happy all the time, even when he's bad he's still eating and drinking, playing and purring and being his usually happy adorable self. It really makes the decision so much harder, like I know his quality of life isn't as good as it should be with the way he is, and it probably never will be any better. I think as long as he stays how he is we can keep going with him but if something else knocks him back we'll have to do something.. The vet said today that she knows that all this is going to shorten his life span and it's not a case that he's going to die naturally but that there will come a point in the not too distant future where his quality of life won't be fair on him. I just don't know what to do because even though his skin is bad, and even though he's had bad diarrhoea for the last 2 weeks he's still just as happy and he was before the accident. I really hate my poor buddy having to go through all this, he's such a good cat, he doesn't deserve to have had this happen to him :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

SillymangoX I really feel for you. Its so hard when he is in such good form to make any decision, but there comes a time when the discomfort to him, and the hassle for you to always be cleaning up are a real issue. With him eating/drinking/playing/good form its impossible to consider. :(

• Advertisement

The constant cleaning up I must admit is getting a bit tiresome for us, at the moment we have him confined to one room when we haven't got him outside and just leave incontinence sheets everywhere to soak up most of the mess. I don't mind cleaning it up, but it's my parents who understandably have big issues with it. But my mam said she's not ready to give up on him yet even with his leaky bum! Hopefully todays antibiotic and a few days of ID food will clear things up. I'd love to at least let him have one last good summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

Aw that's awful SillyMango but you've gone literally above and beyond what many people would do. You're very practical though and you'll know when enough's enough for both of you. I put my dog down when she was feeling well believe it or not, but we had been through so much before that I was completely content with my decision. Enjoy the "right now" as the decision doesn't have to be made just yet. *hugs*

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭sparkle_23

That's awful Silly Mango :( my heart goes out to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,021 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Poor Dude. I'm sure you'll make the right decision for him either way :(

He's happy out again today chasing butterflies around the garden, the antibiotic gave him a boost for another while. So we will have at least a couple of weeks out of him yet hopefully :)

And also, our dog has now developed an obsession with licking Dude's ears. Dude of course adores it because it's like getting lots of rubs :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭SingItOut

I am beginning to seriously regret getting Moone spayed! She has been so narky and just a little brat in general since picking her up from the vets nearly two months ago. She is even trying to get out of the backyard and humping (couldn't find a nicer word!) Alli when she never did any of this before. Alli herself is spayed and there's no problem with her she's cool as a cucumber but she does get really stressed if moone growls at her and hides behind me :( Moones always caught in the act and told to stop but so far there's been no difference. She's a terrier so she has that stubborn streak in her but in 4 years it's never came out in her personality until she got spayed. Hopefully with a bit of re-training she'll chill out more

:D:D:D I just ordered my shed for buying our raw in bulk!

I bought some mock orange shrubs a few weeks ago and they're blooming, for some reason Felix and Poppy love them, too much as it happens. They keep sniffing them and one big branch is hanging down, I suspect it had help from some little paws.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

I am a total looser BUT im sooo excited i just order my guys new tag:

http://www.pettags.ie/products-page/paw-print-tags/master-large-paw-designer-duplicate-3/

to go with his new collar:

http://www.swagglesdogcollars.com/shop/item-collar.php?item=57

ok so that one might be a bit bold... so i also ordered the red paw tag and the red collar with the white skulls... a litte more discrete :p

yes i think i need to get out more :D

SingItOut wrote: »
    I am beginning to seriously regret getting Moone spayed! She has been so narky and just a little brat in general since picking her up from the vets nearly two months ago. She is even trying to get out of the backyard and humping (couldn't find a nicer word!) Alli when she never did any of this before. Alli herself is spayed and there's no problem with her she's cool as a cucumber but she does get really stressed if moone growls at her and hides behind me :( Moones always caught in the act and told to stop but so far there's been no difference. She's a terrier so she has that stubborn streak in her but in 4 years it's never came out in her personality until she got spayed. Hopefully with a bit of re-training she'll chill out more

are you 100% sure there is no underlining medical condition since the spaying? as you said it’s a fairly new behaviour?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭angeldaisy

cocker5 wrote: »
    I am a total looser BUT im sooo excited i just order my guys new tag:

http://www.pettags.ie/products-page/paw-print-tags/master-large-paw-designer-duplicate-3/

to go with his new collar:

http://www.swagglesdogcollars.com/shop/item-collar.php?item=57

ok so that one might be a bit bold... so i also ordered the red paw tag and the red collar with the white skulls... a litte more discrete :p

yes i think i need to get out more :D

They are so cute - need to do some shopping!!!

angeldaisy wrote: »
    They are so cute - need to do some shopping!!!

its totally sad on my behalf and I dont think my cocker will see the excitement, but he's totally black so i reckon he's going to look dammmm hot!!

:pac:

cocker5 wrote: »
    are you 100% sure there is no underlining medical condition since the spaying? as you said it’s a fairly new behaviour?

I got the vet to check her over a few weeks afterwards and he said there's no medical issue but it's down to her hormones being all over the place because of the spay and that she should return to normal soon. I think I'm going to have to get a second opinion though.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭angeldaisy

A friend is just after getting a ****zu x puppy, 10wks old. She just rang me cos she wasn't given any food for it, has no bed etc...

Just hope to god she didn't get it from a puppy farmer cos apparently she met the person to collect and didn't go to the house.

Vogue lost her brand new collar and brand new name tag, third time in two months! I'm going to have to start a donation fund in the house to buy her new collars and tags every week! Beau has his for the last two years!

• Advertisement

GAH!!! Left the dogs home today for about 40 mins(admittedly for the first time in months because I can never get rid of everyone :roll eyes:!) Anyways I decided to leave them together to see what what would happen. Everything fine until 20 mins in - Bailey gets up and leaves the room for a second (getting a drink maybe?) and Lucy pounces and takes his treat!! Cue Bailey barking and crying for 5 mins at the injustice of it!! Looks like they'll have to be separated from now on! Very frustrating :(

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Just walked into the kitchen to find the frying pan on the ground and Phoe enjoying cleaning it for us. He can't reach the counter so no way to know how he got it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭honerbright

Got a great toy in TK Maxx today. It's a Doggy Block Spinner, only cost €8.99. Dog has to pull all 4 blocks before they can turn the top level to be able to access treats. Poppy had it all figured out on her second go, such a clever clogs!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭VonVix

Got a great toy in TK Maxx today. It's a Doggy Block Spinner, only cost €8.99. Dog has to pull all 4 blocks before they can turn the top level to be able to access treats. Poppy had it all figured out on her second go, such a clever clogs!

I wish I could get things like this for my dogs. They are incredibly intelligent but whenever I offer them up something like this they just stare at it and wait for me to do something. I feel like I have reinforced the idea of "don't steal" in them so well that they feel like they can't touch anything unless I offer it to them from my hand lol.

[Dog Training + Behaviour Nerd]

Poppy is being a little madam this morning. She woke us several times chasing Jazzy around. She's only a little cat but she sounds like a horse when she gallops up the stairs. Poor Jazzy came and hid behind my knees in bed in the end. I'm achey this morning since Toby decided to snuggle up to my knees last night. He's gradually moving further up the bed to us:) The only problem was that I was at an awkward angle.

tk123 wrote: »
    GAH!!! Left the dogs home today for about 40 mins(admittedly for the first time in months because I can never get rid of everyone :roll eyes:!) Anyways I decided to leave them together to see what what would happen. Everything fine until 20 mins in - Bailey gets up and leaves the room for a second (getting a drink maybe?) and Lucy pounces and takes his treat!! Cue Bailey barking and crying for 5 mins at the injustice of it!! Looks like they'll have to be separated from now on! Very frustrating :(

surely not? if Baily justs acts the wimp for someone stealing his treat, but doesnt actually do anything but bark/whine at her, are they happier together rather than seperated? Or are you worried that it might escalate if he tries to take his treat back? Sounds like Bailey is just long-suffering and cutie-Lucy knows he wont do anything??

Our older dog just SIGHS when younger dog does something like that.
    He used to growl at him which used to be enough to warn the young dog off, but after years of pester-power he just doesnt bother now

do the blocks lift out easily?
    looks cute! What happens when they lift the blocks out - are the treats underneath?? Heck I know HUMANS who couldnt work that one out!! Well done Poppy!

aonb wrote: »
    surely not? if Baily justs acts the wimp for someone stealing his treat, but doesnt actually do anything but bark/whine at her, are they happier together rather than seperated? Or are you worried that it might escalate if he tries to take his treat back? Sounds like Bailey is just long-suffering and cutie-Lucy knows he wont do anything??

Our older dog just SIGHS when younger dog does something like that.
    He used to growl at him which used to be enough to warn the young dog off, but after years of pester-power he just doesnt bother now

Well the whole idea is that he's quiet when we go out and not barking and howling in hysterics like before

oh yes, sorry, forgot that Bailey had those issues... poor Boy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭honerbright

aonb wrote: »
    do the blocks lift out easily?
    looks cute! What happens when they lift the blocks out - are the treats underneath?? Heck I know HUMANS who couldnt work that one out!! Well done Poppy!

I watched a video on youtube where the dog lifted the blocks out with his mouth, but Poppy is very 'paws'-ie and uses her paws for everything so she kind of scratches them out. After the blocks are out there's a layer that turns which covers over the treat compartments which moves fairly easily with a nudge from a nose (or paw :pac: ). The toy has loads of 'scent holes' as well so they can smell the treats and gets Poppy really excited/frantic :D

Gave it to Roisin for a try and she gave it a hard whack with her paw, causing two blocks to bounce out which scared her so she gave up and left it :p

I also got this one last week (also from TK Maxx, my fur-babies are spoiled from that place!!) but Poppy found it far too easy... probably all her practice on the cat toy version!!

My next plan is to find some tiny jumps and tunnels and stuff. We've a decent sized yard and I think Poppy would really love learning all that. Nothing makes her happier than learning/showing off her tricks.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement