Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Restaurant Recommendation Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,434 ✭✭✭northgirl

kcb wrote: »
    The thing is the "non corporate" places like Idaho Cafe around the corner aren't seen for dust on Sundays or early morning when I find myself looking for a coffee. I still wouldn't go to a Starbucks (because they're crap) but I think it's a bit much for "independents" to be whinging when they're not prepared to take them head on.

Same sort of message to Rocketman. Rip people off and people will go elsewhere regardless of whether it's a local business or not.

Aside; I see Rising Tide have a regular Groupon thing going on now. Standards really have slipped there.

That's a very good point. Would love to go to Idaho, Liberty Grill etc. on a Sunday/Bank Holiday Monday.

pwurple wrote: »
    Tried Zamora - really good. I *think* it was opened by the bubble brothers?

Anyways, it's part winebar, part restaurant. On academy street.

I went with a group. They have a 25 euro 3 course menu midweek or early bird , where you can swap the starter or dessert for a glass of wine. They have nibble things to order with wine as well, like a bowl of spicy almonds, or a plate of bread and dips.

I had a red pepper soup and roasted cod with baby smoked potatoes, radishes and chorizo. Both gorgeous. Really delicious. Everyone else at the table was happy with theirs too. The wine list is lovely and a good few things on there by the glass. Menu is on part of a wine box, which had me worried my food was going to come on a board or a slate, but thankfully all was on plates!

+1 from me. Think it's a nice addition to the food scene here.

I went for 3 courses & a glass, they're desserts are really really really good! We shared sicilian orange cake and chocolate heaven (i think it was called). I would return for the chocolate dessert alone - it was amazing!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭Colser

The thing is the "non corporate" places like Idaho Cafe around the corner aren't seen for dust on Sundays or early morning when I find myself looking for a coffee. I still wouldn't go to a Starbucks (because they're crap) but I think it's a bit much for "independents" to be whinging when they're not prepared to take them head on.

Same sort of message to Rocketman. Rip people off and people will go elsewhere regardless of whether it's a local business or not.

Aside; I see Rising Tide have a regular Groupon thing going on now. Standards really have slipped there.
    Glad its not just me that thinks this.I thought is was a one off when I ordered a fish pie that was fish floating in water,went back again with a voucher and 3 of us ordered the fish and chips which was very mediocre and if I remember correctly was almost 20e each. I wont be returning which is a shame as its in a lovely spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Jogathon

Kinsale direction.. Had a really lovely meal in the Bastion but spent €100 between two of us and left hungry. I ordered four small plates, and other ordered a starter and a main (steak...about four ounces for 29euro!!!). It was delicious, but we stopped in another restaurant and ordered a cheese plate and dessert to fill us up. Won't be back, felt ripped off, but the food was really tasty.

Nine Market Street is nearby....chef used to be head chef in Electric. Much better value, and yum!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 747 ✭✭✭Belle E. Flops

Im not one for complaining usually but I was at the Strasbourg Goose the other day and while it was fine, I was disappointed in it. Booking was for 2of us for 6pm on a week day and from the moment we arrived I felt that we were being rushed and It wasn't like the place was fully or anything. The plates etc were whipped off within seconds of putting down the knife and fork after the starter and within about 2minutes the main was put down. I'm all for efficiency but when I'm out for dinner I don't want to feel like I'm racing to get finished. Also the person I was with was served their starter about 5mins before me, which I thought Was bit ridiculous seeing as how I ordered the pâté which would just have been in the fridge anyway. The food was lovely and my friend had fish and chips for mains which she loved but i had the chicken supreme which was to come with potatoes, stuffing and veg. The veg was a little bowl of green beans and then I got mashed potatoes, roast potatoes, a bowl of potato gratin and a big bowl of chips. I thought it was a bit OTT on the potato front really and would have loved more veg instead of the unnecessary gratin etc.
    like I said it was fine but I wouldn't be in any great rush back.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Lol, 4 types of spud! Madness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 747 ✭✭✭Belle E. Flops

pwurple wrote: »
    Lol, 4 types of spud! Madness.

I felt like standing up and shouting I'M ONLY 1 PERSON DAMMIT!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,780 ✭✭✭sporina

what has happened Electric? I had the worst dinner experience there last weekend... never again.. gone down hill - bar wise too..

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

sporina wrote: »
    what has happened Electric? I had the worst dinner experience there last weekend... never again.. gone down hill - bar wise too..

It is literally the most pretentious place I have been, ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Jogathon

Ha ha, I just posted about a gorgeous new place in kinsale. The head chef in Electric left and set up her own restaurant there, Nine Market Street. So is that what's happened Electric maybe?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Fish bar or main bar?

I had food in the fish bar a couple of days ago and it was grand. Plate of chilli prawns and a glass of wine though, can't f that up too much. Was sunny outside and people were chillin after work on the grass. Was nice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭kcb

Ate in the Fish bar recently and it was just about ok. Ended up spending quite a lot though as the portions were tiny. Wouldn't be going back.

The bar menu seems to have gone to pot aswell. The place in general doesn't offer much now except for the outside area.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭Bacchus

I was only there about a month ago and thought it was great as usual. I'd be disappointed to hear it fell off a cliff in terms of quality so quickly.

I'm not getting the pretentious comment though. I always find the staff super friendly, the setting upstairs is lovely and the food is quality.

Bacchus wrote: »
    I was only there about a month ago and thought it was great as usual. I'd be disappointed to hear it fell off a cliff in terms of quality so quickly.

I'm not getting the pretentious comment though. I always find the staff super friendly, the setting upstairs is lovely and the food is quality.

Go there in the evening/ night.

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭what the hell!

Was just talking with a friend about it earlier! Very poor. The boards are gone to pot and they don't do the €20 special anymore where you used to get the board and bottle of wine or 4 beers.

J Mysterio wrote: »
    Go there in the evening/ night.

I do. Still don't understand the pretentious comment.

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭dan185

Any decent tapas/late night eateries for tonight in the city?

I can't get into town until after 9ish. Dinner date but inexpensive and laid back would be ace.

KCs is my choice but its been vetoed!

dan185 wrote: »
    Any decent tapas/late night eateries for tonight in the city?

I can't get into town until after 9ish. Dinner date but inexpensive and laid back would be ace.

KCs is my choice but its been vetoed!

Arthur Mayne's do nice tapas style food up until around 1am AFAIK. Nice cosy pub :)

I do. Still don't understand the pretentious comment.

They have a ridiculous door policy at night, where the discriminate based on your ability to pull a duckface/ willingness to wear skinny jeans.

One of those summer nights (back in April? :pac: ) Myself and a pal were passing and decided to grab a beer to drink outside. Evidently we werent quite presentable and were turned away. That hasnt happened to me since i was like 16. We were dressed fine and werent in bad shape. I had to laugh at the doorman.

I realise the above will sound bitter, though its not really. The place has a nice outside area for sunny days, and ive been there for office parties too, but it is pretentious - and I would be suspicous of its clientele for that reason.

They have a ridiculous door policy at night, where the discriminate based on your ability to pull a duckface/ willingness to wear skinny jeans.

One of those summer nights (back in April? :pac: ) Myself and a pal were passing and decided to grab a beer to drink outside. Evidently we werent quite presentable and were turned away. That hasnt happened to me since i was like 16. We were dressed fine and werent in bad shape. I had to laugh at the doorman.

I realise the above will sound bitter, though its not really. The place has a nice outside area for sunny days, and ive been there for office parties too, but it is pretentious - and I would be suspicous of its clientele for that reason.

You know it's a very popular restaurant that will regularly book out a week in advance. You think that might have played a part in getting turned away? Did they actually say to you that you did not meet their dress code (I've never noticed a dress code there BTW)? I suspect you'd want to be fairly scruffy looking to get turned away like that.

• Advertisement

You know it's a very popular restaurant that will regularly book out a week in advance. You think that might have played a part in getting turned away? Did they actually say to you that you did not meet their dress code (I've never noticed a dress code there BTW)? I suspect you'd want to be fairly scruffy looking to get turned away like that.

I kind of anticipated that response. meh.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,244 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

I also don't understand the pretentious comment about Electric, have never once been turned away from there and the staff are nice and I don't get a pretentious vibe from the clientele either - from my experience of the place anyway. I haven't eaten there in a while but im not suprised about the comments about the food not being great anymore - we had the boards in the bar a few months back and they were only alright to be honest. Had a look at their menu online recently and it looks pretty boring too.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

The last time I ate in Electric it wasn't as good as I expected. They seem to have rearranged the lunch menu too.

I had drinks there early evening recently and it was a good atmosphere but the DJ kept putting the volume of the music up that in the end we couldn't hear each other without shouting and left instead of getting food. :-/

Malari wrote: »
    The last time I ate in Electric it wasn't as good as I expected. They seem to have rearranged the lunch menu too.

I had drinks there early evening recently and it was a good atmosphere but the DJ kept putting the volume of the music up that in the end we couldn't hear each other without shouting and left instead of getting food. :-/

Had that experience there too a few months ago. The music was so loud it was unbearable - and I like loud music :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,765 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Whenever I hear the words "pretentious" or "hipster" in a negative review of somewhere, I just stop listening.
    It gives me the impression that the reviewer doesn't like anywhere with people of different tastes and fashion to them and they don't like places that try to offer something a little bit off centre.

Whenever I hear the words "pretentious" or "hipster" in a negative review of somewhere, I just stop listening.
    It gives me the impression that the reviewer doesn't like anywhere with people of different tastes and fashion to them and they don't like places that try to offer something a little bit off centre.

I have no idea why it would give you that impression. I don't 'dislike people of different tastes and fashion' and I do 'like places that try to offer something a little bit off centre'. What a bizarre statement. I'm very open minded and adventurous actually.

The Electric, however, is exactly what you describe above:

* 'Doesnt like different tastes and fashion'
    * 'Doesnt like anything a bit off centre'.

Hence I used the appropriate word - pretentious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭kcb

I have no idea why it would give you that impression. I don't 'dislike people of different tastes and fashion' and I do 'like places that try to offer something a little bit off centre'. What a bizarre statement. I'm very open minded and adventurous actually.

The Electric, however, is exactly what you describe above:

* 'Doesnt like different tastes and fashion'
    * 'Doesnt like anything a bit off centre'.

Hence I used the appropriate word - pretentious.

I completely understand your point. I've seen the attitude in there aswell. Might also be something to do with the security firm that operate there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Cedrus

I completely understand your point. I've seen the attitude in there aswell. Might also be something to do with the security firm that operate there.

Pretentious Bouncers?? That's a new one!

I worked with a guy a few years back who wouldn't go to a particular pub because his friend saw a guy reading a book in there ???????????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭greenfrogs

I went to Market Lane for lunch today. I got the steak sandwich. It was delicious. The steak was pink and tender, the baguette was so crusty and the sauce was delicious.

The only gripe I have was paying €2.50 for a soft drink. It's so overpriced as it is only for a 200ml bottle. I know it's standard to pay this amount but it's actually ridiculous. I only got it as it was a lovely sunny day and a coke sounded refreshing. It also came warm and without lemon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,780 ✭✭✭sporina

Jogathon wrote: »
    Ha ha, I just posted about a gorgeous new place in kinsale. The head chef in Electric left and set up her own restaurant there, Nine Market Street. So is that what's happened Electric maybe?

ha ha really - that might explain it = god it was soo bad...

I mailed the manager with all my issues and the reply identified with them all -but with no apology - she just justified all the issues...

said that if i was to rebook that i should let them know in advance - i think not.. shudder...

she did say though that i should have mentioned the poor quality during the meal but as i was there with guests which i had invited, i did not want to create any more drama to an already dramatic dining experience ie having to ask for EVERYTHING - twice - for our order, to drinks, to water, to sides... etc... just = never again...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement