Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Restaurant Recommendation Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭kcb

pwurple wrote: »
    Tom Doorley gave a mediocre review, basically said it was a bit salty and some of the food seemed to come in precooked.
    http://www.evoke.ie/food/coqbull-review-a-bold-brnad-but-its-a-concept-too-far/

They responded by painting the blackboard outside with the words "Tom you are so full of BULL" , tweeting a photo of it and putting it on their facebook.

Dopey really, would have been more in their interest to address the pre-cooked charge.

Cheers for the link, interesting stuff! Not a bit surprising and all the hallmarks of The Cornstore and their arrogance and attitude an generally drab food.

A burger joint that can't do a burger! A place best avoided.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭curly from cork

Had yet another lovely meal in The Abbey Main St Carrigaline. We have found it to be consistently good over the last few years . Good varied menu both for lunch and dinner . Prices reasonable too . Maybe a bit off the beaten track but we are in the area and use it a lot. Parking to the rear too with a beer garden area . Couldn't get in there for tea a couple of weekends ago ... A good sign for them , a full house on a Fri at tea time

• Registered Users Posts: 6,812 ✭✭✭sporina

byronbay2 wrote: »
    Without getting into a back-and-forth with you (and I'm sure northgirl doesn't need anyone to stand up for her), I thought your first question was insulting and the second was irrelevant.

:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭TeletextPear

Had a fantastic meal in Radhuni recently. I wasn't expecting much as I was just there with a groupon voucher but it was the best Indian I'd had in yonks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

spiderdan wrote: »
    Can't for the life of my understand how bad the restaurants in Cork are. Been living here for over a year and tried most of the places, to say it's average at best is an understatement. Don't even get me started on the state of Asian cuisine in cork.

Wow, i've been living here about 25 years of my life so far and I haven't tried every restaurant in Cork yet! Yuan ming yuan is the best of the chinese in my opinion. Sakuri is ok for japanese. There's a lack of vietnamese alright... Ivory tower does a stunning japanese taster menu.

What kind of thing do you like in other places, maybe we can help point you in the right direction?

Are you looking for mad exciting food, or more simple hearty stuff?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Can't for the life of my understand how bad the restaurants in Cork are. Been living here for over a year and tried most of the places, to say it's average at best is an understatement. Don't even get me started on the state of Asian cuisine in cork.

Whilst I agree with you about the lack of decent Asian food in Cork, i have to disagree with you about the restaurants! You get good and bad everywhere, but there are more than a few good restaurants here in the city, most of which are mentioned in this thread. Coming from London, and having friends in the high-end catering trade back home, I tend to be quite fussy when it comes to food.

I think we're pretty spoiled for choice living here in the city. The quality of the food is fantastic, and most restaurants here do source their food locally which makes all the difference. The seafood here is amongst the best I've tasted.

But IMO there's no decent Indian or Thai restaurants here which is a shame. I'm going home soon, so can indulge my craving for a decent ruby then.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,432 ✭✭✭Markcheese

kcb wrote: »
    Cheers for the link, interesting stuff! Not a bit surprising and all the hallmarks of The Cornstore and their arrogance and attitude an generally drab food.

Whilst I'd listen to what he said, I wouldn't necessarily rule out a visit to
    coqbull, cos at the end of the day a lot of Tom doorly's reviews are, well, cock and bull....

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

kcb wrote: »

Ah well, i've been to places that have had off nights too, that were still ok. I haven't been yet, but will give it a go in a few weeks to see what the story is.

But IMO there's no decent Indian or Thai restaurants here which is a shame. I'm going home soon, so can indulge my craving for a decent ruby then.

Does Iyers count as a decent indian?

Not really. Isn't it more of a lunch/snack place??

• Advertisement

Not really. Isn't it more of a lunch/snack place??

Started off as just lunch trade, but it's open evenings as well on thursdays and fridays these days. I like it anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭spiderdan

Regarding my comment about Asian food. It's more about Indian and Thai takeaways and restaurants. It's well documented how poor Ramen is not to mention their awful customer service - if they opened in Dublin it would be shut in months, I'd love to see Camille or Diep down here would blow them out of the water.

The only Indian I thought was ok was the one on North Main St, but to be honest it's a bit of a kip and can be a bit hit n miss. Thought Iyers was nothing special at all, small portions with little substance for the price. Not a big fan of Chinese but I will defo try Yu Ming at some stage. Tried the new Sushi place on Oliver P St and thought it was overpriced and not particularly tasty.

I'm specifically talking about the mid range, casual dining options in Cork, eg, Coqbull, Cornestore, Market Lane, Electric, etc all grand if you're not really bothered about good food. I'd say Liberty Grill is about the best option in that bracket. I can only compare it to what's going on in Dublin and the majority of the places down here wouldn't last a minute. It is no excuse saying there's more choice, in a city that prides itself on food the standards should be much higher imo.

The best bang for my euro is probably some of the pub grub options like McCarthy's, Elm Tree, Kirbys, The Poachers Inn all great value and good quality. I have to admit Chipsy Kings is great after a few pints!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭draiochtanois

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

It's very traditional, and reflective of simple vegetarian food. It's just not what we're used to in the Western world where curries have to be big in flavour, creamy or hot.

I've worked with plenty of Indian people who would love the dosas served in Iyer's.

Regarding my comment about Asian food. It's more about Indian and Thai takeaways and restaurants. It's well documented how poor Ramen is not to mention their awful customer service - if they opened in Dublin it would be shut in months, I'd love to see Camille or Diep down here would blow them out of the water.

The only Indian I thought was ok was the one on North Main St, but to be honest it's a bit of a kip and can be a bit hit n miss. Thought Iyers was nothing special at all, small portions with little substance for the price. Not a big fan of Chinese but I will defo try Yu Ming at some stage. Tried the new Sushi place on Oliver P St and thought it was overpriced and not particularly tasty.

I'm specifically talking about the mid range, casual dining options in Cork, eg, Coqbull, Cornestore, Market Lane, Electric, etc all grand if you're not really bothered about good food. I'd say Liberty Grill is about the best option in that bracket. I can only compare it to what's going on in Dublin and the majority of the places down here wouldn't last a minute. It is no excuse saying there's more choice, in a city that prides itself on food the standards should be much higher imo.

The best bang for my euro is probably some of the pub grub options like McCarthy's, Elm Tree, Kirbys, The Poachers Inn all great value and good quality. I have to admit Chipsy Kings is great after a few pints!

Liberty grill is popular alright. It's not my kind of food really (prepares to be shot). I just consider american food to be more take-away material than something I'd eat on a night out, but they do it well, which is good. For a more westernised indian than iyers, have you tried Spice of India in bishopstown? It's got meat and everything. ;)

I've not been to coqbull, but if it's like cornstore I agree that's grim. Only thing going for cornstore is location. Market lane and electric I like the food for mid-range, but I think they are preferred by 30+ guys, and women, because of the style of the food and the portion sizes. I'm guessing you are a guy in his 20's who wants a big feed based on elm tree and mcarthys ...

Elm tree, mccarthys etc are all known for massive portions of old-fashioned crowd-pleasing food. There are flippen LOADS of those because they do well, you can't be short of places to eat.

I've only been there once for lunch, and that was a while ago. I didn't know it opened in the evenings, though. The dosa I ordered was very good, but I'm not sure the lunchtime ambience would be as good in the evenings. The next time my mate comes over, we'll certainly give it a shot in the evening...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

I've only been there once for lunch, and that was a while ago. I didn't know it opened in the evenings, though. The dosa I ordered was very good, but I'm not sure the lunchtime ambience would be as good in the evenings. The next time my mate comes over, we'll certainly give it a shot in the evening...

Open til 9 on Thursdays and Fridays I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭spiderdan

I'm guessing you are a guy in his 20's who wants a big feed based on elm tree and mcarthys ...

Elm tree, mccarthys etc are all known for massive portions of old-fashioned crowd-pleasing food. There are flippen LOADS of those because they do well, you can't be short of places to eat.

It's not that I'm into big portions I'm just into good quality food full stop. As I said being from Dublin and looking at the explosion of amazing new casual dining options over the couple of years I'm amazed at how average it is here. Don't get my wrong Cork wins every time when it comes to pubs, but for eating out I think the city is in the doldrums.

I had an unbelievable meal in Dingle recently (it was in the higher price range) nothing comparable in Cork from my experience. Galway, Waterford, Kilkenny, Dublin, all holding M Stars - Cork hasn't had one since the 90's and there's no chance of any of the current places getting one. I don't think it's necessarily a great benchmark to compare but an interesting fact none the less.

Unfortunately I'm in my 30's, when I was in my 20's Hillbilly's would have been enough to keep me happy! Love the city just wish I could get some better food on the fly.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

As a Cork person living in Dublin, I think spiderdan nails it. There are some good spots in Cork (I personally like Market Lane, Jacques, ORSO, Yuan Ming Yuan, Iyer's, Fenns Quay, Cafe Paradiso and occasionally the Cornstore), but Dublin is miles ahead for food. This would cover all levels really, from fine dining to casual eating. It's also hard to get a good cocktail in Cork.

However, when it comes to chippers, Cork wins hands down. Chippers in Dublin just aren't as good.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Seems Neil (or at least his production team) read this thread!

http://www.eveningecho.ie/2014/09/03/neil-prendeville/
    BROADCASTER Neil Prendeville has said Cork people need to circle the wagons and support local restaurants after what he described as a “condescending lambasting” by a renowned food critic.
    The RedFM presenter challenged food critic Tom Doorley to an on-air discussion after an unflattering review of the CoqBull restaurant, which opened this summer on French Church Street.
    However, Mr Doorley said on Twitter that he never debates the reviews that he writes, but insisted his account was merely his opinion of an experience in the restaurant.
    He then criticised Mr Prendeville’s show for calling him at 8am for comment and aimed a few verbal digs at the Cork presenter, saying the CoqBull should give Mr Prendeville a “small shareholding” for his defence of the restaurant.
    However, Mr Prendeville said the tone of the article was insulting and condescending to Cork in general.
    He said: “It was condescending and nasty in the extreme. This is Cork, the second city, it’s not hicksville.
    “Sometimes you have to circle the wagons and support local businesses. I think if someone writes something down in print then they should at least defend that if it comes under questioning.
    “I’ve been in that restaurant twice and it has been exceptional. In any case, you shouldn’t be reviewing restaurants in their first few months.”
    Mr Prendeville, who was involved in the restaurant trade in the city in the past, said a lot of jobs relied on the sector.
    “People need to remember that a lot of money is spent on getting a restaurant opened and running it. There is the staff and their wages, rent and rates. Many of our restaurants aren’t even able to open on a Sunday because they can’t drum up the business. I just want a bit of fair play.
    “I’d be the first to walk away from a place if I thought it wasn’t up to scratch.”
    Mr Prendeville then Tweeted a picture of a busy CoqBull on Monday night.
    The restaurant showed their attitude to Mr Doorley’s review with a cheeky sign outside that says: “Tom, you’re so full of bull.”
    Executive chef Mike Ryan, who is also involved in the Cornstore, came on air and defended the restaurant.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Faith wrote: »

Nah, he was sh1ting on about it before it was mentioned here. I really think he and the restaurant made a much bigger deal of it than was necessary. It's not the only negative review I've read.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭54kroc

I was listening to him when he was banging on about it and he seems to think that restaurants in Cork should not be criticised.
    I was baffled by his logic tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

54kroc wrote: »
    I was listening to him when he was banging on about it and he seems to think that restaurants in Cork should not be criticised.
    I was baffled by his logic tbh.

He'd be on about possible food fraud in the Market if only 96fm hadn't broken the story.

Well, for higher end, then you pay the higher price point and you eat in places like oysters, hayfield manor, les gourmandaise, ballymalloe, cafe paradiso etc.

For more casual mid-range, try cafe gusto, fenns quay, star anise, gallo and galetti? Did you not like any of those? They are not going to be Michelin starred obviously. I really didn't think that would even come into a discussion on casual eating. You also need to remember that michelin stars come from all sorts of other criteria, like the wine list, the service. Not entirely the food.

I think cork has miles to offer in terms of local raw materials. Top quality locally farmed beef, super-fresh fish, dairy is fantastic. There are a handful of very good places, but they sometimes struggle to survive in cork city. First of all, the wealth to sustain it, like there is in dublin, is not here as much. I don't see bono or buddies splashing the cash around down here. Cork people also cringe a bit at any outward display of success. And secondly I honestly don't think the appetite for a starred place is here at the moment. You've seen what has been opening and doing well... 6 or 7 burrito bars and noodle shops in the space of a year. Dinner with a free ice-cream cone for 6 quid. Bargain food is what's springing up in a recession. Hopefully as a recovery comes along more of a wider range wil reappear. I live in hope for that new hugenot bistro... Whenever it opens.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,812 ✭✭✭sporina

Faith wrote: »

cork 2nd child syndrome personified!! morto for prendeville.
    its because of stuff like this that has cork with the bad name that is has..

so people are not allowed to give opinions now - as in restaurant reviews..

put a sock on it prend. literally.

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭jadie

Anyone else find Iyers a bit prententious? I loved it when it opened first but some of the staff they have hired seem to look down their nose at you, was also in there one day and they were having very inappropriate type conversations. I find the portions have got smaller and the prices went up too.

I walked past l'attitude last night at about 10:30. Not a sinner in there. Two doors up was jammers though, the phoenix / el fenix running a special offer. Sunbean also empty.

I'm all for more great places, was gutted when augustines closed and hoping that huegenots does well when it opens. I'll do what I can to encourage them.

I'd include kinsale and midleton in Cork restaurants. 20 mins drive is doable. Yay that they are good. To be applauded!

There are IT/pharma companies, but everyone in them is PAYE. 52% tax, and if they have kids they are crucified with childcare costs. The people in UCC and IT are mainly in loss-making departments and are feeling cutbacks. Everyone young I knew who worked in the hospitals has left the country for higher wages with the wage-caps here, leaving a bunch of medical people behind who barely have time to sleep they are so understaffed. So where are the big spenders here? Not a whole pile of big shot media around in cork, unless you include prenderville. LOL :D

Any idea how to help more places appear? Because I sure wouldn't open a restaurant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,833 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

jadie wrote: »
    Anyone else find Iyers a bit prententious? I loved it when it opened first but some of the staff they have hired seem to look down their nose at you, was also in there one day and they were having very inappropriate type conversations. I find the portions have got smaller and the prices went up too.

Pretentious? I really don't understand what people mean when they say this.
    Somebody else on this forum was going on about Cork bars and clubs being pretentious.
    If people aren't wearing GAA jerseys and calling everybody "lads" (male or female), does that make them pretentious? Or does being passionate about something that you're not passionate make people pretentious?
    I just don't get it:confused:

Since the prices went up in Iyer's, the portions have gotten a little bigger, not smaller.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement