Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Restaurant Recommendation Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Ludo wrote: »
    This bafflement and amazement at those restaurants success baffles me to be honest.

For me, it's the standard of food first and foremost. For me, Il Padrino's is really poor. No incentive at all to return. Lot of places in Cork that serve really average (even poor) food, but they are successful. Why? Is it because the majority of people just want a feed?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,255 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

dudara wrote: »
    For me, it's the standard of food first and foremost. For me, Il Padrino's is really poor. No incentive at all to return. Lot of places in Cork that serve really average (even poor) food, but they are successful. Why? Is it because the majority of people just want a feed?

I have to say I've always liked Il Padrino :o but after the last time I was there I think I'll give it a break for a while - the menu had changed a bit and there was an issue with the service too so I was a bit disappointed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭byronbay2

rob316 wrote: »
    You pay good money in most these places is it too much to expect a meal better than you could cook at home? There a few things that annoy me more than paying for a bad meal. If its a good meal I don't even look at the bill, I was in Gallo and Galetti 2 weeks ago and it was just outstanding start to finish, a pleasure to pay for.

Wish I was you - I have never felt any pleasure at having to pay a bill in my life!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

There is an Aroi in Limerick which has gathered great reviews. This could be an extension of that.

It looks like a chain place alright.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I'd imagine those of us who frequent this thread are interested in food. I'd hazard a guess that most of us have relatively adventurous and educated palates compared to the average Irish person, so we recognise and care when food is poor. But a lot of people just don't care, or know, when food is poor. Think of all the "meat and two veg" people out there - they're probably delighted with Luigi Malone's. I'm being genuine there, not condescending.

When planning my wedding menu, I read so much online from people saying "we're having turkey and ham/roast beef or salmon to keep everyone happy". That's some of the most boring food I can imagine, but it's the most popular wedding fare. I think the average Irish person prefers bland, safe food so that's what they'll gravitate towards when they're eating out. Hence the popularity of average restaurants that have a safe menu. We're not a nation known for its cuisine, so it's not that surprising really.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Whilst I agree with most of the above, I do think Irish cuisine is slowly improving. This coming from a Native Londoner of Afro-Caribbean heritage! There are SOME good restaurants here in Cork and beyond. But there are even more serving poor quality, poorly cooked food. And the population here do seem to like it for some reason...But I guess to each their own.

My husband isn't the most adventurous when it comes to food. He's getting a little better though (He shouldn't have married a Bajan girl who doesn't do bland!:D). But his family absolutely will not try anything that hasn't been boiled to **** without even the benefit of salt or convenience food.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

I thought we were a nation known for it's food. Our butter and dairy trade is/was renowned across europe. Our beef exports are top notch. Entirely grass fed and always has been. People from other countries seem to talk about our beautiful clean seafood a lot too.

I'd say it's more that as a nation of well fed farmers living in a climate where fresh food grows well and doesn't go off that quickly, we never needed to 'spice' food to hide anything... So the preferences are still for plain.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

pwurple wrote: »
    I thought we were a nation known for it's food. Our butter and dairy trade is/was renowned across europe. Our beef exports are top notch. Entirely grass fed and always has been. People from other countries seem to talk about our beautiful clean seafood a lot too.

We're renowned for our produce, but not our cuisine :). There's often threads in F&D asking about our national dishes and there's hardly any - mostly things like coddle and Irish stew.

Faith wrote: »
    We're renowned for our produce, but not our cuisine :). There's often threads in F&D asking about our national dishes and there's hardly any - mostly things like coddle and Irish stew.

What we are mainly good at is selling ourselves short.

Colcannon, tripe and drisheen, black pudding, boxty, spiced beef, soda breads, mackerel cooked over a camp fire, gooseberry jam, blackberry crumble, all those irish soups with barley or oats. There are books full of irish house recipies but they have fallen out of favour.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,714 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

What we are mainly good at is selling ourselves short.

Colcannon, tripe and drisheen, black pudding, boxty, spiced beef, soda breads, mackerel cooked over a camp fire, gooseberry jam, blackberry crumble, all those irish soups with barley or oats. There are books full of irish house recipies but they have fallen out of favour.

lets not forget soda bread mmm.

Whatever about high end cuisine I think the average run of the mill pub / cafe fare here does tend to be better then most

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

Finally tried Ramen this week and was very impressed. If you take it for what it is, which is essentially a takeaway, you won't be disappointed. If you are expecting fine dining you are probably in the wrong place but I really enjoyed it.

I got the sweet and sour chicken which was beautiful. Huge portions, very friendly staff and the food was delicious. Much nicer and more filling than McDonalds et al, and I'd most definitely return. It tasted fresh and authentic (even though it probably isn't very authentic) and was a far cray from the gloopy radioactive goo I'm used to getting from my regular takeaway.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

On the subject of salads, does anyone else find salad portions in Cork to be tiny considering the price? :confused:

A salad would normally be my "go to" option if we go out for dinner but lately I've been noticed that the pricing is ridiculous.

For example, SoHo would be one of my favourite spots, and I love their ceaser salad, but the portion is minute and it costs a hefty €11.95, with €2 extra if you want chicken :eek: I've often left still hungry which defeats the purpose of going out for a meal.

Surely, economically, a salad should not cost the same amount as a burger or pasta dish? :confused: Especially when its meat free!

Hopefully someone can enlighten me, because it makes no sense to me at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭draiochtanois

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,895 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Ramem may be a take away but the mains are around €12. Not exactly take away prices!

For me the big issue with the dish I got was the lack of any sort of real flavour, authentic or otherwise.

WhiteRoses wrote: »
    On the subject of salads, does anyone else find salad portions in Cork to be tiny considering the price? :confused:

A salad would normally be my "go to" option if we go out for dinner but lately I've been noticed that the pricing is ridiculous.

For example, SoHo would be one of my favourite spots, and I love their ceaser salad, but the portion is minute and it costs a hefty €11.95, with €2 extra if you want chicken :eek: I've often left still hungry which defeats the purpose of going out for a meal.

Surely, economically, a salad should not cost the same amount as a burger or pasta dish? :confused: Especially when its meat free!

Hopefully someone can enlighten me, because it makes no sense to me at all.

It's bizaarly difficult to get decent salads outside of california! :)

I've whinged about it before alright. There are a couple of places around where I go for salads. Rocketmanhas opened a salad bar on princes street. Very nice, around a fiver for an interesting salad. Stuff like barley salad with beetroot and goatcheese. And they do nice things on top, like flavoured yoghurts and pickled limes/onions. They are also at the markets around the place, mahon in a thursday, wilton on a tuesday etc.

I wouldn't normally recommend eco in douglas, but I like their salads at lunchtime. They do a nice one with grapes in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭Vinta81

Hey, just wondering if any one knew where Ramen in Dennehys Cross is? Is it by the Tesco Extra? We'll be in that general area tonight and really want to try it :)

Balmed Out wrote: »
    lets not forget soda bread mmm.

Whatever about high end cuisine I think the average run of the mill pub / cafe fare here does tend to be better then most

Better than what?
    Other countries?
    I can't think of any country with worse standard fare food than Ireland.
    Every country has its share of rubbish food but I think Ireland has more than most.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,508 ✭✭✭Lemag

Vinta81 wrote: »
    Hey, just wondering if any one knew where Ramen in Dennehys Cross is? Is it by the Tesco Extra? We'll be in that general area tonight and really want to try it :)
    It's located just up from Tesco and immediately at the intersection. You'll hardly miss it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,017 ✭✭✭✭rob316

I only go to Ramen for €6 before 6, I don't think there dishes are worth circa €12 but for €6 for there dish of the day its really good value.
    Im not a picky eater, I seek out good food but I'll sometimes just want a feed too if its cheap, Ramen's €6 deal does the trick.

The only better spend of €6 I can think of is the Workman's Lunch in the Fish Wife.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

Every country has its share of rubbish food but I think Ireland has more than most.
    Rubbish statement.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭draiochtanois

This post has been deleted.

Rubbish statement.

Insightful statement.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭Vinta81

Lemag wrote: »
    It's located just up from Tesco and immediately at the intersection. You'll hardly miss it.

Thanks! We're dying to try it!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Better than what?
    Other countries?
    I can't think of any country with worse standard fare food than Ireland.

I've been to probably 20+ countries, and I must say I couldn't disagree with you more.

I've been to probably 20+ countries, and I must say I couldn't disagree with you more.

I guess it comes down to personal taste.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

Insightful statement.
    If you seriously think there aren't countries with worse standard fare food than Ireland, then you have not traveled much and have an incredible lack of insight.
    And it's little to do with personal taste, and more about personal experience of visiting many other countries.

If you seriously think there aren't countries with worse standard fare food than Ireland, then you have not traveled much and have an incredible lack of insight.
    And it's little to do with personal taste, and more about personal experience of visiting many other countries.

UK
    France
    Belgium
    Netherlands
    Denmark
    Sweden
    Finland
    Iceland
    Germany
    Austria
    Kosovo
    Italy
    Spain
    Portugal
    Mexico
    Singapore
    Indonesia

Off the top of my head, all the above Countries, in my experience, have far better quality food readily available than Ireland has.
    I travel extensively around Ireland and regularly eat in random hotels, cafés and restaurants and the average quality is pish poor. Yes, there is great food to be had but there so much bad food in this country, it makes me sad.

Cuba had worse food than here, and surprisingly Turkey (Istanbul) was a disappointment.

Jaysus lad, I've seen some shockin establishments in spain portugal france and belgium in particular. There are places in spain I wouldn't let a dog eat.

Jaysus lad, I've seen some shockin establishments in spain portugal france and belgium in particular. There are places in spain I wouldn't let a dog eat.

Everywhere has bad food.
    I never said otherwise.
    My point is, that I had no trouble finding good food to eat in any of the above countries.
    Sadly, I can't say the same for Ireland, much of the time, depending on where I am.

Just my opinion based on my tastes and my experience.
    I suspect the problem with Irish standard fare is that Irish people like it. No incentive to improve.

Ireland has amazing food produce.
    Some of the best meat, dairy and seafood available anywhere. We have some fantastic food producers, some fantastic restaurants. I love buying and cooking Irish ingredients. I love to eat out on occasion.
    But having to feed myself on a moderate budget from hotels, cafés and restaurants in random places in Ireland is a depressing task.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,714 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

Im sorry but go outside of southern England and the standard fare in the UK is way poorer then ours. Id certainly remove Finland, Germany, Austria, Spain, Portugal and Mexico too.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement