Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Restaurant Recommendation Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭spiderdan

I found one of the workers in Iyers nice and friendly, she seemed to be the one in charge, but the other girl looked like she was doing community service - couldn't believe how pissed off she looked. I have to say it put me off the place, food was overpriced for what it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,812 ✭✭✭sporina

had a takeaway from the spice inn this eve - was quality,… my tummy is loving it! looks can be deceiving..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

Pretentious? I really don't understand what people mean when they say this.
    At a guess I'd say they might mean: Pretentious "attempting to impress by affecting greater importance or merit than is actually possessed."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

At a guess I'd say they might mean: Pretentious "attempting to impress by affecting greater importance or merit than is actually possessed."

Well it's not exactly silver service in there... Or even a tablecloth, so that doesn't make any sense whatsover. If anything it's the complete opposite, there's a bit of a quay co-op crowd going there sometimes. Slightly hairier/more dishevelled customers than your regular place.

Anyway, ate in fishy fishy at the w/e. Delicious but their lunch memu is quite pricey. 15 euro for musels in basil and cream. Service was good too, but Don't think i'd return for lunch. It was jammers though, so maybe I'm just out of touch with kinsale prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭-Toppy-

So its that time of year again when its the significant others birthday is coming up

So my question is what Cork City/County Restaurants do a tasting menu?

I know the Ivory Tower does
    I think Oysters does

Not sure of others...
    Any suggestions

Cheers
    Toppy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,997 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Finally tried Gallo and Galleti at the weekend, absolutely outstanding it was.
    The food, the atmosphere and the staff made for a very enjoyable experience.

On the waiters recommendation I tried the Double Pork Chop it was delicious, it took about 20/25 mins to cook but they warned me it would. Came with sage butter, sundried tomatoes, sautéed potatoes and balsamic peppers, the whole dish worked really well.

Had a raspberry sundae for dessert, again really good and probably one of the best I have ever had.

The portion size of everything were perfect too.

All in all, real good value for money I thought, very high quality food and service, looking forward to going again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

pwurple wrote: »
    Well it's not exactly silver service in there... Or even a tablecloth, so that doesn't make any sense whatsover.
    The poster seemed to be referring to the attitude of the staff, not a lack of tablecloths (which I don't see as a big deal).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

-Toppy- wrote: »
    So its that time of year again when its the significant others birthday is coming up

So my question is what Cork City/County Restaurants do a tasting menu?

I know the Ivory Tower does
    I think Oysters does

Not sure of others...
    Any suggestions

Cheers
    Toppy
    Tasting menu... Those would be the places that come to mind for me too. Ivory tower does two, the japanese and the irish I think. les Gourmandaise does tasting plates for starters and desserts for sharing which is nice, but maybe not what you mean? The kingsley has reopened recently, they might do one. Hayfield just have the 3 course, but they do the inter-course things like sorbets.

The poster seemed to be revering [sic] to the attitude of the staff, not a lack of tablecloths (which I don't see as a big deal).
    I think that was the point... You never know what random people see as pretentious or intimidating. I've heard people say that Club Brasserie was too snobby for having tableclothes and more than one knife and fork per place setting. The horror! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭jadie

the attitude of the staff is what I meant.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,432 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Greenes on macCurtain street do a tasting menu... I think everyone at the table has to have it though...

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

Anyone have any experience with Barden Private Dining Club?

http://bardendining.com/private-dining-club/

Sounds like an interesting concept.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Hayfield Manor does an outstanding tasting menu. It'll set you back at least €80 pp excluding drinks though (but it's totally worth it).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,867 ✭✭✭eternal

rob316 wrote: »
    Finally tried Gallo and Galleti at the weekend, absolutely outstanding it was.
    The food, the atmosphere and the staff made for a very enjoyable experience.

On the waiters recommendation I tried the Double Pork Chop it was delicious, it took about 20/25 mins to cook but they warned me it would. Came with sage butter, sundried tomatoes, sautéed potatoes and balsamic peppers, the whole dish worked really well.

Had a raspberry sundae for dessert, again really good and probably one of the best I have ever had.

The portion size of everything were perfect too.

All in all, real good value for money I thought, very high quality food and service, looking forward to going again.

I really enjoyed this place too. I had the seabass with fennel and orange salad and thought it was very fresh and the fish was cooked perfectly. My backround is in cheffing so I am pretty fussy. I do think the wallpaper looked jaded and the woman whom I presumed to be the owner seemed to be unfriendly but it was a well balanced and appetising meal.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭nerwen

evilivor wrote: »
    Anyone have any experience with Barden Private Dining Club?

http://bardendining.com/private-dining-club/

Sounds like an interesting concept.

A group of my friends went there for a birthday, they were very pleased with it. They had a 7 course meal in a private dining room, you get to chose what kind of menu you'd like, they had a European style meat menu though you can chose a fully veg menu as well. Oh and it's a BYOB thing.

nerwen wrote: »
    A group of my friends went there for a birthday, they were very pleased with it. They had a 7 course meal in a private dining room, you get to chose what kind of menu you'd like, they had a European style meat menu though you can chose a fully veg menu as well. Oh and it's a BYOB thing.

Thanks - it sounds like a hoot - in town, BYOB and pick your own menu - what's not to like.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

nerwen wrote: »

This sounds amazing! I definitely want to do this at some point :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,244 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

Had a very decent Steak in Captain Americas last night, pleasantly suprised

Looks the Huguenot is opening tonight

https://www.facebook.com/huguenotcork

-Toppy- wrote: »
    Looks the Huguenot is opening tonight

https://www.facebook.com/huguenotcork

It seems to say there that they opened three days ago.

I blame the Cork News site

https://www.facebook.com/thecorknews?fref=nf

"Our new neighbour on Carey's Lane, Huguenot French Bistro & Wine Bar facebook.com/huguenotcork is having a champagne reception with nibbles to celebrate its grand opening from 6pm this evening! Well, that's the after-work plans sorted for all of us here in the office. Anyone else?"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

It seems to say there that they opened three days ago.

They did indeed. My neighbour's son is working in there...

They did indeed. My neighbour's son is working in there...

Good for him - I hope the place does well - it's been a fairly doomed restaurant space since Esau's opened and closed there.

Yes - we intend to try it out just to support the boy.

Good for him - I hope the place does well - it's been a fairly doomed restaurant space since Esau's opened and closed there.

What was it most recently? I've moved from cork and I can't visualise where it is!

Down French Church St I think. Certainly it's one of the lanes coming down from Tesco's. I believe they also have a FB page...

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭Karmella

Was it kethners?

Down French Church St I think. Certainly it's one of the lanes coming down from Tesco's. I believe they also have a FB page...

No, I know it's down Carey's Lane, but I mean where exactly on Carey's Lane.

Kethner's would make sense alright.

Faith wrote: »
    What was it most recently? I've moved from cork and I can't visualise where it is!

Kethners most recently I think. It was Table 8 before that, I think it may have been Paddy Garibaldis originally but that's WAY back. On Careys' Lane, near Gambinis etc.

I'm pretty sure I've been to none of its incarnations so!

Hopefully they'll do well. You'd always like to see new ventures succeeding.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,222 ✭✭✭✭blade1

jadie wrote: »
    Anyone else find Iyers a bit prententious? I loved it when it opened first but some of the staff they have hired seem to look down their nose at you, was also in there one day and they were having very inappropriate type conversations. I find the portions have got smaller and the prices went up too.
    I was there about a month ago,first time and only time.
    The lad behind the counter described everything on the menu for me as i hadn't a clue.
    Didn't feel like he was looking down his nose at us,the opposite in fact.
    Food was gorgeous and will definitely go there again.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement