Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Restaurant Recommendation Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

What was your third restaurant Billy, you don't name it?

Glad your experiences were so good!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Malari wrote: »
    What was your third restaurant Billy, you don't name it?

Glad your experiences were so good!
    Sorry, was Corn Store. Accident rally had Market Lane as Corn Store originally (it's been a while) so forgot to edit #3 when I made the switch. It's pretty much right across the road from a pub called The Raven (really busy place so I assume it's well known?).

Hadn't been to Cork since I was a kid, it's some job you lads have done with Patrick Street!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,642 ✭✭✭Milly33

Yep well to be honest I have gone to the Fish Wife and we have found only one thing there is worth the effort and that is the Smoked Haddock and Chips. Tried the squid and that's nothing to write home about, and the Guinness batter fish again nothing whoop whoop..

Just said wed try Lennoxs as we heard people going on about it but ne tis a fail

• Registered Users Posts: 16,833 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Milly33 wrote: »
    Just said wed try Lennoxs as we heard people going on about it but ne tis a fail

It's Lennox's on Bandon Road that has the great (imo, undeserved) reputation.

Oh ok, sure aren't they all the same..Bandon is way too far out to go ill stick the hunt

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,247 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Oh ok, sure aren't they all the same..Bandon is way too far out to go ill stick the hunt

It's the Bandon Road - near UCC....

Ah now this is like the Barrack Street black hole isn't it.. Still they would be cold by the time we get home haha

• Registered Users Posts: 14,247 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

They're different Lennox's though, different owners - as far as I'm aware.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭54kroc

Tis on the Bandon road, not in Bandon.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

leahyl wrote: »
    They're different Lennox's though, different owners - as far as I'm aware.

Yeah, the Bandon road one is Jackie Lennox's and the other one is CF lennox's and that's the chain. There's only one Jackie Lennox's.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭AshAdele

Eat in the charcoal grill (use to be the Bierhall) on popes key on Saturday night.

they have kept the majority of the old menu but have added a few new things to it.
    we have nachos to start which were very nice.
    my partner had the pulled pork roll which he said was very good. i have the ribs.

the ribs tasted good and were cooked well but sadly the portion size was tiny, maybe i was unlucky but it seemed to be 70% bone 30% meat.

can anyone recommend a good place that does ribs in the city? i can only think of the charcoal grill and luigi malones. sadly any time i have ordered ribs in luigis i have been disappointed by over cooked dry ribs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Just popped into a new place in Blackrock Village. Presto it's called. Opened yesterday, no sign up yet even, it's next to Taste Of Italy. Opens at 8am they said! They do icecream, sandwiches and salad I think. Plus coffee maybe. Cute looking place.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I was in the tea rooms in Douglas last week. It's a gorgeous setting and the cakes look fab. I ordered a spiced beef sandwich on a bap. Sadly, when it arrived, the bap was as stale as old boots and the beef was COVERED in horseradish sauce. I had to scrape a lot of it off, and it still burnt the mouth off me. Later, my friend ordered a cappuccino and it took about 15 minutes to arrive. She went in to remind them after about 5 minutes, and it still took another 10.

I wouldn't be rushing to eat there again on the basis of disappointing food and service, but it's still a lovely place if you're just after a cake and tea.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

The Tea Rooms used to be much better but they seem to have gone downhill a good bit around the same time La Lavanda closed; hopefully they'll improve again when that reopens as it is a nice place in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

Ate at The Ivory Tower last weekend. Went for the 8 course Japanese Tasting menu and it was fantastic. Each course was so different. The tuna was my favourite. Highly recommended!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

Is Lavanda re-opening? Douglas is getting a bit ridiculous in terms of the number of restaurants in a relatively small area. Great to have lots of options - if there's enough business for them all to stay open.

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭Karmella

Don't know if Lavanda is opening but someone has taken over the old Bullys - think it opened in the last couple weeks.

I also heard a rumour that Wetherspoons are taking over the old TSB building ? Whatever about restaurants I would have thought that the last thing Douglas needed was another pub! Especially one that serves food.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

who_me wrote: »
    Is Lavanda re-opening? ...
    They have signs stuck in the window saying they're opening soon
    Karmella wrote: »
    Don't know if Lavanda is opening but someone has taken over the old Bullys - think it opened in the last couple weeks.
    The new place is an Italian called Marcello's https://www.facebook.com/pages/Marcellos-of-Douglas/826586010687798
    Karmella wrote: »
    I also heard a rumour that Wetherspoons are taking over the old TSB building ? Whatever about restaurants I would have thought that the last thing Douglas needed was another pub! Especially one that serves food.
    Haven't heard anything about that but if Wetherspoons took over the old TSB and put a beer garden in the carpark at the back they could do nicely out of it as there aren't really any beer gardens in the village.

Bullys were in the bad books for crap food and Italian are now in it for not answering their reply to looking for staff

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

JohnK wrote: »
    The new place is an Italian called Marcello's https://www.facebook.com/pages/Marcellos-of-Douglas/826586010687798

Ate there last week and was very happy with the food. Enjoyed the seafood pizza and the wife enjoyed her pasta dish (sorry cant remember for the life of me what it was). Kids enjoyed their dishes also. Floor staff were quite obviously new and inexperienced but still did fine and we will be going back this weekend.
    Wouldn't class it as fine dining by any means (bit then it isn't meant to be). It is a nice reasonably priced family restaurant.

Are there really that many options in Douglas? Restaurants I mean now..not pub food. There is Marcellos, Eco, El Vino, Rose Garden and.....ermmm...McDonalds? Yes I am leaving out Indian restaurant..I really dont like Indian food :D

I am probably missing loads.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

Bullys were in the bad books for crap food and Italian are now in it for not answering their reply to looking for staff

Apparently they rehired a few Bully's staff. Good thinking in terms of getting old regulars back in. I'm looking forward to trying it.

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭jadie

Finally tried Ramen at Dennehy's Cross last night. Only fair I thought. I had the red thai massman curry with tofu. They certainly don't know how to cook tofu properly and the rice was over cooked. The sauce was a bit bland. I don't understand how this place is so busy. It definitely wouldn't survive in Dublin

Malari wrote: »
    Apparently they rehired a few Bully's staff. Good thinking in terms of getting old regulars back in. I'm looking forward to trying it.

Oh god I don't know I knew a few of the staff from the old days and have to say they were gone to pot!! Still though why would he put a sign up looking for staff and not get back when people do apply pet hate

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭killedsirius

Malay Kitchen on South Main Street is pretty great! 9 quid for a massive portion of noodles. 10 for rice and a dish!. Crispy chilli beef is unreal. Pretty damn happy with it!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

evilivor wrote: »
    I believe Meades has reopened? Anyone know what's the story - who is running it, is it any good?

Yes its reopened,I don't know whos running it now

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I had lunch in Coqbull the other day. I was quite impressed with it overall. It's a very simple menu but it's done well. I had lovely chicken wings and himself had a burger he really enjoyed. Both came with chips, we got a free soft drink (from a splash gun, not the real thing, but it was fine) and both main courses cost €10 each. Good value for a filling lunch. The staff were also really nice and helpful, and it was great to see the rotisserie chickens cooking in the kitchen.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,812 ✭✭✭sporina

had dinner in Orso the other night - twas a fab dining experience.
    Between Orso, Italee and cafe gusto and places like that - cafe style - great food in an informal setting - seems to be a new tread in dining? or am in late to this? what ever it is; i'm loving it!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,432 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Not new by a long shot but ate in greenes for the first time ever last week , noice ... Thought it was gonna be a bit floofy at first when I read the menu,lots of" duos of" and "textures of" but it really delivered (and I can be a bit hyper critical) .
    Not cheap, but well worth it and while it's a formal restaurant, the service wasn't stiff ... I'll be bringing my wife next time :-)

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭ElecKtrA

Hey guys...just wondering if anyone can recommend a nice cosy restaurant for mid week dining?
    I've tried Coqbull a few times already, Liberty grill as well...is there any place similar to these that anyone can suggest? Thanks :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭pogsick

ElecKtrA wrote: »
    Hey guys...just wondering if anyone can recommend a nice cosy restaurant for mid week dining?
    I've tried Coqbull a few times already, Liberty grill as well...is there any place similar to these that anyone can suggest? Thanks :)

Milano do good food, never had a bad meal there, Market lane also nice food

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement