Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Restaurant Recommendation Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

Faith wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure I've been to none of its incarnations so!

Hopefully they'll do well. You'd always like to see new ventures succeeding.

I just remember the layout being akward.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Ah I remember the Miss Piggy burger in Paddi Garabaldis!

Can't wait to try the new place. His Italian is one of my favourite places in Cork.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Ah I remember the Miss Piggy burger in Paddi Garabaldis!

Can't wait to try the new place. His Italian is one of my favourite places in Cork.

Garibaldis is a blast from the past alright!!

Yes, we were big fans of augustines as well as the italian... Was a bit expensive for more than once a year for us though. This new place is supposed to be french bistro style food, which I love. Fingers crossed it's as good as I hope, and priced right.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

evilivor wrote: »
    Kethners most recently I think. It was Table 8 before that, I think it may have been Paddy Garibaldis originally but that's WAY back. On Careys' Lane, near Gambinis etc.

I remember Esau's. Is that the same spot .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Johngoose

not too big on scoozis (whatever or whichever the way you spell it) either.
    It's pub grub and the food itself isn't great quality.
    I agree that Scoozi's isn't great.Ive eaten there many times out of convenience.It's a place that's trying to be all "upmarket," but the quality of the food doesn't meet expectations.I wouldn't be bothered going there anymore.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Johngoose

The table service in IL Padrino's is excellent,lovely atmosphere and genuine Italian feel.Food is good too.Nice treat to go there as it can be pricey.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Johngoose wrote: »
    The table service in IL Padrino's is excellent,lovely atmosphere and genuine Italian feel.Food is good too.Nice treat to go there as it can be pricey.

I went to Il Padrino's. Once was enough. Food's crap and seriously overpriced. I don't understand the love for such awful food...

I once compared a dish in Il Padrino's to those Knorr rehydrated pasta pouches. Could not recommend it at all.

There are some surprisingly long-lived restaurants in Cork, that I just can't figure out. Il Padrino's is one, The Ambassador Chinese was another.

dudara wrote: »
    I remember Esau's. Is that the same spot .

Yes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

The Liberty Grill has a rival for the most over rated spot in Cork and it's Eco in Diuglas. Been there twice now and did nothing for me. Got a burger last night and it tasted reheated as it was quite dry.

It was ok overall but I'll not be going back any time soon.

• Advertisement

gimmick wrote: »
    The Liberty Grill has a rival for the most over rated spot in Cork and it's Eco in Diuglas. Been there twice now and did nothing for me. Got a burger last night and it tasted reheated as it was quite dry.

It was ok overall but I'll not be going back any time soon.

It's cheap and the portions are huge. I think that's a big part of it's popularity. Wouldn't be a huge fan myself either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Cedrus

Johngoose wrote: »
    The table service in IL Padrino's is excellent,lovely atmosphere and genuine Italian feel. Food is good too.Nice treat to go there as it can be pricey.
    One of my pet hates is restaurants who call their dishes something they are not, last time I was in il padrinos, I ordered Osso Bucco and got a lamb shank, I have nothing against lamb shank, but it's NOT osso bucco.

IL Padrino's is bluffing home cooking at restaurant prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

I once compared a dish in Il Padrino's to those Knorr rehydrated pasta pouches. Could not recommend it at all.

There are some surprisingly long-lived restaurants in Cork, that I just can't figure out. Il Padrino's is one, The Ambassador Chinese was another.

I agree, I've been there twice. First time got a risotto and it was incredibly salty. Second time I got pizza thinking surely an Italian can't mess up pizza and again it was salty. Won't be going back again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭kcb

It always amazes me but there is clearly a huge market for bland, ordinary food, in large portions. That same market also seem to like being informed which places should be liked! The sheep mentality (KCs being the best example for me)

Eco
    Il Padrino
    Rossini
    Cornstore
    Luigi Malones
    Milanos...

All long serving and popular but majorly unimpressive offering. Very odd.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Well, there are times when you're eating out because you can't be arsed cooking, not because you want fine dining. There's a time and a place for pizza and pasta and other staples. My complaint about those places is the price they charge. Il Padrino is extortionate compared to the same dish in another restaurant.

kcb wrote: »
    It always amazes me but there is clearly a huge market for bland, ordinary food, in large portions. That same market also seem to like being informed which places should be liked! The sheep mentality (KCs being the best example for me)

Eco
    Il Padrino
    Rossini
    Cornstore
    Luigi Malones
    Milanos...

It's unfair to call it a sheep mentality. I love an occasional KCs. Wish I preferred somewhere else with no queue but I just don't.

I'd disagree with some of the places above. I've had some good meals in the Cornstore, and good steaks in Luigis. If you have a voucher Milanos isn't bad either.

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭Footoo

Eco
    Il Padrino
    Rossini
    Cornstore
    Luigi Malones
    Milanos...

You can add Ramen to that list as well. Absolutely baffling.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Dave47

Eco
    Il Padrino
    Rossini
    Cornstore
    Luigi Malones
    Milanos...

On the money- yeah I'd throw the ramen gaff on the list as well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

I've only ever eaten salads in Eco's at lunchtime and they were nice. It's strangely difficult to find edible salads in restaurants sometimes, can't eat massive dinners all the time. My companion had a stir fry and it was ginormous, wouldn't order that myself.

There is a market for large portions of plain food alright, and that's fine by me. Just because it isn't my thing doesn't mean there is anything wrong with it, or the people who like it. There's room for us all.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,017 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Footoo wrote: »
    You can add Ramen to that list as well. Absolutely baffling.

To be fair ramen isn't a restraunt it's a slight step up from fast food. The others are supposed to proper dining out and it's very poor.

Why you would go to those Italian spots when you can go to gallo and galetti or dolce vita for the same money is baffling?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭kcb

pwurple wrote: »
    I've only ever eaten salads in Eco's at lunchtime and they were nice. It's strangely difficult to find edible salads in restaurants sometimes, can't eat massive dinners all the time. My companion had a stir fry and it was ginormous, wouldn't order that myself.

There is a market for large portions of plain food alright, and that's fine by me. Just because it isn't my thing doesn't mean there is anything wrong with it, or the people who like it. There's room for us all.

Absolutely. You can't argue with that. You'd just feel sorry for the inventive places serving up great food that struggle as the crowds head to the likes of Il Padrino! (Rico's being an example - a proper Italian restaurant and a great owner, but didn't last a year id say)

Absolutely. You can't argue with that. You'd just feel sorry for the inventive places serving up great food that struggle as the crowds head to the likes of Il Padrino! (Rico's being an example - a proper Italian restaurant and a great owner, but didn't last a year id say)

Rico's was that the place in the Mardyke? Went there on a Saturday night once myself and the OH were the only 2 people in there, you could see they were struggling bad. We had a very nice meal too, that's a shame its gone.

Im not a food snob but it annoys me when muck like Luigi Malones is more popular than better less fashionable restraunts.

ANOTHER Asian street food place appears it to be opening - Aroi on Carey's Lane.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭draiochtanois

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

ANOTHER Asian street food place appears it to be opening - Aroi on Carey's Lane.

I saw another one somewhere at the weekend. Seem to be jumping on the Ramen bandwagon. I can just imagine the owner saying to the chef "Here's 60 quid...get down to TK Maxx quick and buy some Woks" :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,894 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

And an New casual Asian one opening on Douglas Street too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Atmosphere (and location) also contributes to the success (or lack thereof) of a restaurant. Most of those places mentioned above offer good decent food at affordable prices. Nothing special to be sure but not bad either. They are also all busy most of the time and as a result have a good atmosphere which helps make an enjoyable meal out and people will go back. Is this sheep mentality? No it most certainly is not.

Someone mentioned an good Italian in the Mardyke...no wonder it didn't last. Talk about off the beaten track. VERY hard to start up somewhere like that from nothing.

This bafflement and amazement at those restaurants success baffles me to be honest.

Ludo wrote: »
    Atmosphere (and location) also contributes to the success (or lack thereof) of a restaurant. Most of those places mentioned above offer good decent food at affordable prices. Nothing special to be sure but not bad either. They are also all busy most of the time and as a result have a good atmosphere which helps make an enjoyable meal out and people will go back. Is this sheep mentality? No it most certainly is not.

Someone mentioned an good Italian in the Mardyke...no wonder it didn't last. Talk about off the beaten track. VERY hard to start up somewhere like that from nothing.

This bafflement and amazement at those restaurants success baffles me to be honest.

Ya I hear ya but call me old fashioned but if I go out for something to eat I go for the food not really the atmosphere. If the food is average I wont go back unless its super cheap and just works as a quick alternative to cooking.

I mean in the case of Luigi Malones which I really hate, the times I have eaten there it has ranged between disgusting to tasteless yet I hear people constantly raving about it. Can't you see its utter muck? Do you have any taste buds at all?

You pay good money in most these places is it too much to expect a meal better than you could cook at home? There a few things that annoy me more than paying for a bad meal. If its a good meal I don't even look at the bill, I was in Gallo and Galetti 2 weeks ago and it was just outstanding start to finish, a pleasure to pay for.

There is an Aroi in Limerick which has gathered great reviews. This could be an extension of that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭draiochtanois

This post has been deleted.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement