Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Restaurant Recommendation Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭Footoo

rob316 wrote: »
    It really doesn't, I used to eat in Wagamama for a bit but every dish tasted the exact same, Ramen has some wonderful dishes. Pad thai, Chicken Penang and Chicken Cashew are delicious.

It really does.

btw... Their "Pad Thai" is as far removed from authentic Pad Thai as a noodle dish can be. I can't comment on the other two dishes but I have had the "Singapore noodle" (I think) and as that was the exact same dish as he Pad Thai, I'm sure they're not authentice either.

Saying that... €6 is still a reasonable price for for any old noodle dish even if the quantity of meat is pitiful.

Also my opinion of Wagamamas has increased signifcantly since this place opened. The food is of a far higher standard. at least they know how to cook noodles in Wagamamas.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

I seriously don't get all the fuss about Ramen. Their food is generic and everything tastes the same, quite bland really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Bit out of the city, but went to a christening party at the Elm Tree, Glounthane. Food there was lovely! Was taken aback by the sheer size of the place - goes all the way back.

It was BBQ food, but it was of good quality and tasty. Restaurant had plenty of space, excellent parking and the service was prompt without being intrusive.

Had a look at their menus and thinking of giving it a proper spin tomorrow for dinner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Yeah, the Elm Tree is nice. I thought it was carvery only at the weekends though?

Had some dim sum during the week in yuan ming yuan. We asked them to recommend this time. Got a scallop & prawn dumpling and some yam stuffed with pork ones. So good. I'd eat my own weight of those scallop things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

pwurple wrote: »
    Yeah, the Elm Tree is nice. I thought it was carvery only at the weekends though?

Had some dim sum during the week in yuan ming yuan. We asked them to recommend this time. Got a scallop & prawn dumpling and some yam stuffed with pork ones. So good. I'd eat my own weight of those scallop things.

Nope! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,244 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

Heading out for a bite tomorrow night, cant decide between Liberty Grill or Amicus.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

Heading out for a bite tomorrow night, cant decide between Liberty Grill or Amicus.

Liberty Grill! No comparison, in my opinion; the quality of the food in Liberty is much better.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,811 ✭✭✭sporina

ah man there is no comparison at all - liberty grill of course

Thanks Lads!

Gah! Closed for annual maintenance until Friday.

Any other recommendations for some good quality food? something alone the lines of Liberty Grill/Amicus/Market Lane

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Liberty Grill is the single most over rated place I have ever been to.

Oh wow, it's closed anyway, so no worries.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,247 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Any other recommendations for some good quality food? something alone the lines of Liberty Grill/Amicus/Market Lane

You could try Electric? Although not sure you'd get a booking at this stage - they are usually booked up pretty well in advance, but might depend on time you are going too.

I actually can't think of anywhere else! The Woodford is meant to be nice for dinner, they have a new menu of late also - was in there for lunch on Saturday and it was lovely - the only thing is, it's a bar and they only serve till 8pm I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

gimmick wrote: »
    Liberty Grill is the single most over rated place I have ever been to.

:eek: *sharp intake of breath* :pac:

I'd second Electric, I've had only good meals in there.

You could try Orso. Small restaurant and they don't take bookings so get there early and stick your name down then go for a scoop for half an hour. It's more Mediterranean but good quality food.

I've heard that Jacobs is a good alternative to Market Lane, but I'll be honest, I haven't been myself. This is a review from someone who likes the same restaurants I do!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,508 ✭✭✭Lemag

You could try Coqbull on academy street. I haven't been there yet but I've heard good things.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

Lemag wrote: »
    You could try Coqbull on academy street. I haven't been there yet but I've heard good things.

It's nice but it's just burgers and chicken.

Lemag wrote: »
    evilivor wrote: »
    It's nice but it's just burgers and chicken.

Yep, giving this a go!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭confusticated

Electric don't book out, they apparently keep a percentage of their tables for walk-in customers, so they said the last time I booked a table there. So could be worth a shot but I would go early!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Anywhere in town that serve unusual dishes? I don't mean things like shark or anything like that. I mean creative dishes, unusual ways of serving, creative desserts or interesting structure of dishes.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,971 ✭✭✭Doge

Had my first experience in the Hayfield Manor tonight, such an upper class place!

The ambiance and style is amazing, as was the food.

It was almost worth paying the extra to experience the interior itself. Even the bathtroom was amazing!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Corholio wrote: »
    Anywhere in town that serve unusual dishes? I don't mean things like shark or anything like that. I mean creative dishes, unusual ways of serving, creative desserts or interesting structure of dishes.

Ivory Tower would be where I'd go for that.

Oysters also do great presentation, mainly seafood.

Cafe Paradiso too, vegetarian.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Does anyone know what time Man Fu House in Ballinlough opens at? I have a craving :o. Haven't eaten in there in years - is it still good?

Faith wrote: »
    Does anyone know what time Man Fu House in Ballinlough opens at? I have a craving :o. Haven't eaten in there in years - is it still good?

It opens at 5, in case any one else is wondering. And it's gone way downhill, IMO :(. My noodles were really stodgy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,434 ✭✭✭northgirl

Malari wrote: »
    :eek: *sharp intake of breath* :pac:

I'd second Electric, I've had only good meals in there.

You could try Orso. Small restaurant and they don't take bookings so get there early and stick your name down then go for a scoop for half an hour. It's more Mediterranean but good quality food.

I've heard that Jacobs is a good alternative to Market Lane, but I'll be honest, I haven't been myself. This is a review from someone who likes the same restaurants I do!

+ 1 for Orso, if I couldn't go to Liberty Grill I'd go there, great food at great price IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Faith wrote: »
    It opens at 5, in case any one else is wondering. And it's gone way downhill, IMO :(. My noodles were really stodgy.

My parents go there so if I'm visiting we'll sometimes order from there and the last few times I've found the food to be really tasteless. The fried rice in particular tastes of nothing.

My parents go there so if I'm visiting we'll sometimes order from there and the last few times I've found the food to be really tasteless. The fried rice in particular tastes of nothing.

Yep, definitely tasteless. I ordered chicken chow mein and the noodles are overcooked and stodgy, the chicken is really dry and there's next to no vegetables. I had to use loads of soy sauce just to get some flavour, and I still left most of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,642 ✭✭✭Milly33

I know tisnt a restaurant but still trying to find the best fish and chips or chippy in Cork and tried Lennoxs on McCurtain street yesterday.. Mm I wouldn't go out of my way to eat there nothing major..

• Registered Users Posts: 16,833 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Milly33 wrote: »
    I know tisnt a restaurant but still trying to find the best fish and chips or chippy in Cork and tried Lennoxs on McCurtain street yesterday.. Mm I wouldn't go out of my way to eat there nothing major..

You were on McCurtain Street wanting fish and chips and you didn't go to the Fish Wife??.?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,997 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Milly33 wrote: »

:eek: You were on McCurtain St and went to Lennox's, next time do yourself a favour and go to the Fish Wife, it is outstanding.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

I was down in Cork back in December and have to say I was very pleasantly surprised by the food. Not that I had low expectations or anything, but three places in particular had food that was not only absolutely delicious and adventurous but looked incredible and was bafflingly well priced.

1. Market Lane. Very busy as has been mentioned but great service e. Lots of pubs on the same street as it so we got in some live music and I got a call to my phone about a half hour later when our table was ready. Both of us had a three course meal that you'd pay an arm and leg for in Dublin, with a beer on my side, a cocktail on hers (house special that's a bit like a pint colds, couldn't recommend it enough) and a glass of house wine with the main for in the region on €60, a little less I think it actually was. 10/10

2. Electric. Again it was incredibly busy so we went to their seafood restaurant, and again it was beautiful. Extremely friendly service, quality food (especially the paella), only "complaints" would be getting stuck on a bench in the corner and that service could have been a tiny bit more organised but again it was far busier than I (and they, according to the waiter) had expected that time of year, seemed like there was some street festival going on outside and I think I noticed two different Christmas parties at the bar downstairs. 8.5/10

3. Corn Store (edit). Only got lunch here before heading back, really classy setting but probably more suited for dinner as it was a Tony bit dark for that time of day but oh my God that Little Piggy Burger was no little piggy! Huge and delicious, worked great with the apple chutney and the sauerkraut was done perfect (it's rare to even find sauerkraut anywhere in Ireland, never mind done well). I could barely finish it and was half asleep on the way back up as a result, but it was worth every bite. 9/10

Good job Cork!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement