Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Restaurant Recommendation Thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Cedrus wrote: »
    Are you sure? I've never had a Pad Thai that didn't have some form of chilli in it.

Well, it's not listed as an ingredient.
    Extremely popular throughout Thailand, this flat noodle dish comes with chicken, spring onion, carrot, egg and beansprouts, granished with peanuts and lime.

And normally it's not got much heat at all (the one from Ramen anyway, I can't speak for others!).

If it was listed, I'd just order it without chili. Maybe it's an oversight?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Footoo wrote: »
    Their "pad Thai" is as close to authentic pad Thai as a packet of koka noodles.

It's basically noodles , veg, about three pieces of chicken or prawns and some rancid dark soy based sauce that they use in all they're noodle dishes.

Never said it was authentic, but I still really like it. The sauce isn't at all "rancid".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

Faith wrote: »

And normally it's not got much heat at all (the one from Ramen anyway, I can't speak for others!).

If it was listed, I'd just order it without chili. Maybe it's an oversight?

pad thai usually has chilli

Ramen in Dennehys cross opened this evening.
    Wife had pad thai, it was lovely. Lovely fresh crunchy vegetables (they'd want to be on first night!).
    I'd penang curry, lovely as well, but the pad thai was nicer!
    parking an issue all right, but there's always Tesco's underground.
    Staff very nice

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Roesy

Any recommendations for restaurants around Skibbereen? We're heading to West Cork for a couple of days for our anniversary.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,440 ✭✭✭Markcheese

My mam likes the church restaurant in skibb, few nice places in baltimor and Schull if ye get that far ...

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,891 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Kalbo's is a lovely little cafe. Really good local, homecooked food.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,891 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Kalbo's is a lovely little cafe. Really good local, homecooked food.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭.red.

The Paragon does good food. Its nothing fancy, just a bar but worth a visit for the chicken wings alone.
    The weather was glorious last year when we were down there so we got a take away and went out to Tragumna and sat on the grass with it. Lovely spot looking over the beach and sea and we enjoyed it more than any restaurant we could have sat in. It would be a good option to get a picnic lunch somewhere and go there with it for something different.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

Hi Faith,

I had a Pad Thai from Ramen in Wilton last night and actually found it hot enough. It was tasty too and went down well with a pair of Spatens from Aldi during the World Cup ;)

Loire

• Registered Users Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

Loire wrote: »
    Hi Faith,

I had a Pad Thai from Ramen in Wilton last night and actually found it hot enough. It was tasty too and went down well with a pair of Spatens from Aldi during the World Cup ;)

Loire

New sushi and noodle place on Oliver Plunkett street, WabiSabi I think it's called, over O'Donovan's Off Licence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 SkibbereenIRL

Roesy wrote: »
    Any recommendations for restaurants around Skibbereen? We're heading to West Cork for a couple of days for our anniversary.

Hi Roesy, PM me and I will send you a comprehensive restaurant list with opening hours and cuisine types for the town!

Hope this helps :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭kingtut

Hi Roesy, PM me and I will send you a comprehensive restaurant list with opening hours and cuisine types for the town!

Hope this helps :)

I'd love to see that list also if you don't mind sharing it!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,508 ✭✭✭Lemag

Have any of you tried out Malay Kitchen (Asian Street Food) on South Main Street yet? Menu is similar to Ramen but a little cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 SkibbereenIRL

kingtut wrote: »
    I'd love to see that list also if you don't mind sharing it!

Sure thing, drop me an email at skibbereenirl @gmail.com and will send you on the PDF.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15 gizafagila

evilivor wrote: »
    New sushi and noodle place on Oliver Plunkett street, WabiSabi I think it's called, over O'Donovan's Off Licence.

Anybody know more about this place?

gizafagila wrote: »
    Anybody know more about this place?

Looked at it on Facebook, nice decor, haven't seen any menus/prices yet. Hope to try it by the end of the week.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15 gizafagila

Footoo wrote: »
    The popularity of this place is one of the most baffling things I've seen in ages.

I really don't understand it. Poor quality food that's bizarrely actually gotten worse since it opened.

It looks like some copycat competitors are starting to enter the market on South Main St not far from Wagamamas.

I agree. I got some sort of yaki soba from Ramen and it was pretty crap. The million (it seems) different ingredients in a yaki soba makes it a very tasty dish. Unfortunately in Ramen it was all covered in a black sauce and everything tasted of black sauce. Couldn't do the usual "wow that prawn tasted savage!" Wouldn't be surprised if the sauce was just soy sauce and corn starch and a few tablespoons of salt.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

looking for a fun, lively restaurant with good food and service for Sat night. We do not get to the city much so atmosphere as important as the food. Somewhere like 'Electric' maybe, but looking for other ideas so can book asap.

Thanks!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Isaacs on McCurtain Street, maybe?

Isaacs on McCurtain Street, maybe?

That was my first thought too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭mimihops

Visited Gallo and Galletti at the weekend and had a lovely meal, the location is handy albeit a tad soleless but it makes up for it in food and service. We both had the fritto misto special with mussells, prawns, squid and cod which was cooked perfectly, it was delicious. We had tiramisu and the chocolate brownie for desert which were both lovely as well. Would definitely reccomend it anyway! Very reasonable prices too.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

mimihops wrote: »
    Visited Gallo and Galletti at the weekend and had a lovely meal, the location is handy albeit a tad soleless but it makes up for it in food and service. We both had the fritto misto special with mussells, prawns, squid and cod which was cooked perfectly, it was delicious. We had tiramisu and the chocolate brownie for desert which were both lovely as well. Would definitely reccomend it anyway! Very reasonable prices too.

One of my favourite places in Cork. Location is crap, but it's a great spot!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭sporina

Lemag wrote: »
    Have any of you tried out Malay Kitchen (Asian Street Food) on South Main Street yet? Menu is similar to Ramen but a little cheaper.

got a take away from there last night - beef curry - totally bland - watery sauce - tough beef - sadly… i like to give new place a try - maybe its ok after lots of alcohol.. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭dibkins

Tasty tasty burger from Coqbull. I'm surprised that someone above said theirs was overdone, mine was really juicy and pink inside. My friends said their chips were a bit on the he cool side, but we all loved the burgers.

Also, I've been in cork for 9 months now. Is there anywhere I can get some good chicken satay skewers? The best I've gotten are from banna Thai and Eden Thai and they aren't a patch on what I could get in tralee or limerick:/ every Chinese I've tried (Blackpool area) have been chicken in brown goop.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭TeletextPear

dibkins wrote: »

Also, I've been in cork for 9 months now. Is there anywhere I can get some good chicken satay skewers? The best I've gotten are from banna Thai and Eden Thai and they aren't a patch on what I could get in tralee or limerick:/ every Chinese I've tried (Blackpool area) have been chicken in brown goop.

It's a bit out of the way but Mandalay near Blarney has really good chicken satay skewers

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭Dublin Red Devil

If you're ever in Roscommon. Check out The Friery in Tulsk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Tasty tasty burger from Coqbull. I'm surprised that someone above said theirs was overdone, mine was really juicy and pink inside. My friends said their chips were a bit on the he cool side, but we all loved the burgers.

For the satay try yuan Ming yuan in the city centre.
    Www.ymy.ie

Satay skewers are 4 euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭dibkins

pwurple wrote: »
    For the satay try yuan Ming yuan in the city centre.
    Www.ymy.ie

Satay skewers are 4 euro.

Feic, forgot to try them there! Always tempted by other things on the dum sum menu!

I might try the Blarney option too, i'm not too far. thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭nerwen

Always tempted by other things on the dum sum menu!

I took my mum there at one point and gave them free reins on a dim sum only meal with the only instruction being that we'd like to try something from the proper classic dim sum menu as well. Turned out great. The server was so helpful and we got a great mix of different dishes, not a single one we didn't like. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭sporina

have a friend to entertain this weekend and he wants to go "for a nice quiet meal"..
    he lives nice fish and wine…
    i had planned to go to annies but they have a tasting menu thing on which we are not interested in…

We do not want to break the bank but looking for somewhere quietish - where we will not be rushed… and good service and some fish..

oysters - too expensive on this occasion..
    electric - too busy…

thinking of trying Italee? Not been but I have heard that the food is realllly good? Anyone been for dinner?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement