Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Restaurant Recommendation Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Is it city only? Fishy fishy kinsale, or the black pig in kinsale would be where i'd suggest.

Italee I've been for dinner in. It's nice, but still got the cafe vibe rather than the relaxed dinner atmosphere you might be lookinng for.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

sporina wrote: »
    have a friend to entertain this weekend and he wants to go "for a nice quiet meal"..
    he lives nice fish and wine…
    i had planned to go to annies but they have a tasting menu thing on which we are not interested in…

We do not want to break the bank but looking for somewhere quietish - where we will not be rushed… and good service and some fish..

oysters - too expensive on this occasion..
    electric - too busy…

thinking of trying Italee? Not been but I have heard that the food is realllly good? Anyone been for dinner?

Jacques do an early bird (before 7) - 2 courses for 24e. We ate there last week and I had Hake which was lovely. House wine (red: Tempranillo) was 23e and was also quite good.

Nice restaurant with a good atmosphere.

The other place I would recommend is Fenn's Quay - not for fish per se, but just a nice place to go for a meal. They also do a corkage rate of 8e per bottle so if your friend would like to drink good wine, he can bring it himself ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,640 ✭✭✭Milly33

It is really hard to find a good fish place in Cork. Think it is one thing that is lacking that and a nice Mexican..

Anywho you should keep an eye out on groupon incase Oyseters do have deals on if they do tis worth it but if not yes it does break the bank..

I though Nosta was lovely.. http://www.nosta.ie/ best calamari I have tasted in a long time. The portions are huge also so do not worry about getting sides. Staff and very friendly it is just nice and chilled

• Registered Users Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

Milly33 wrote: »
    It is really hard to find a good fish place in Cork. Think it is one thing that is lacking that and a nice Mexican..

The Fish Bar in Electric is very nice - I prefer it to the main restaurant.

Anytime we went in it was too packed...We wouldn't be dressy up people either and I always feel a bit out of place there.. In saying that I cant knock it as I have not tried it, ill put me good pants on one day and give it a go

• Advertisement

Milly33 wrote: »
    Anytime we went in it was too packed...We wouldn't be dressy up people either and I always feel a bit out of place there.. In saying that I cant knock it as I have not tried it, ill put me good pants on one day and give it a go

Go early in the night and it's grand - went there one evening and was basically just us and the chef - who spoke us through everything as he cooked - it was like private dining - nice bottle of wine overlooking the river - bliss.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

evilivor wrote: »
    Go early in the night and it's grand - went there one evening and was basically just us and the chef - who spoke us through everything as he cooked - it was like private dining - nice bottle of wine overlooking the river - bliss.

Yes, I've been for a couple of early-ish dinners there, one straight after work so I wasn't dressed up. Both meals were just two people and I found it quite intimate, definitely not having to shout over the noise or hassled because it was too busy.

Notes taking thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭nerwen

Had lunch at the new WabiSabi on Oliver Plunkett today, had yakitori skewers that were good and chashumen (sp?) ramen that was absolutely great. Great broth, great pork. They got a really nice looking lunch menu with 2 dishes for 15€ too.

nerwen wrote: »
    Had lunch at the new WabiSabi on Oliver Plunkett today, had yakitori skewers that were good and chashumen (sp?) ramen that was absolutely great. Great broth, great pork. They got a really nice looking lunch menu with 2 dishes for 15€ too.

Nice to hear, tried to go there last week for lunch but they don't open until 12.30

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,806 ✭✭✭sporina

evilivor wrote: »

are we talking about the fish bar in electric?

are we talking about the fish bar in electric?

Yes.

Went to Ramen in Wilton last night and it was great. Good buzz in the place. I had the Yaki Soba (chicken & prawns)...it was yummy and for 12.99 with a "free" ice-cream cone afterwards, very good value.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

have a friend to entertain this weekend and he wants to go "for a nice quiet meal"..
    he lives nice fish and wine…
    i had planned to go to annies but they have a tasting menu thing on which we are not interested in…

We do not want to break the bank but looking for somewhere quietish - where we will not be rushed… and good service and some fish..

oysters - too expensive on this occasion..
    electric - too busy…

thinking of trying Italee? Not been but I have heard that the food is realllly good? Anyone been for dinner?

I had a lovely piece of hake for lunch recently in Jacques. Would definitely consider it. Otherwise, I'd suggest the Fish Bar in Electric. Great food, lovely spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Pabmac

Great new salad bar open on Princes St. Fab juices and salads, tabouleh (sp ?) cous cous, barley, humus. I had flat bread with choice of two salads mixed leaves beetroot topping etc. all for 5.50. Its called Rocketman. Great place

I've seen rocketman stalls at some of the markets around the place. He has a blue van I think? Hope it's the same crowd, and hope they do well!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Had lunch in Coqbull last week. Kept meaning to write about it on here...

It was fine. Huibby had the bacon burger and said he enjoyed it. I had the chicken wings to start. They were really nice, but a HUGE portion. Which meant I viewed the rest of the meal with some detachment! :). Had the Coqbull burger to follow. Not so great. The chicken was very dry and didn't taste of satay. The burger was good though, but as I'd had a starter, I couldn't finish the meal - The dog had a result! (Took the burger home for him). Portions good, and the apple pie my hubby had for afters looked homemade. He said it tasted it too. Very nice.

One thing though. Don't order Cokes/Orange. They are served from the splash gun and tasted vile. You're much better off ordering the Fentiman's lemonades TBH. They're great and very refreshing in this heat...

Then I went into Italee for coffee last Friday morning. What a great little place! The coffee is proper Italian coffee and the best I've tasted here. And I had a beautiful almond croissant to go with it. Lovely and light with a great taste. Prices are very reasonable too. I'll definitely be back for lunch!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,432 ✭✭✭Markcheese

pwurple wrote: »
    I've seen rocketman stalls at some of the markets around the place. He has a blue van I think? Hope it's the same crowd, and hope they do well!

Same rocketman doing the stall at markets and the shop in princess st ..
    Golden bean doing the coffee in there..

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

I'm looking for a city centre based dinner recommendation. Something non Asian. Costs up to 20 per main. Any suggestions?

Saipanne wrote: »
    I'm looking for a city centre based dinner recommendation. Something non Asian. Costs up to 20 per main. Any suggestions?

Casual or more formal?

Cafe gusto does great local food. Small plates, ordered casually at the counter, high tables with barstools. Does BYOB as well. http://cafegusto.com/

Market lane would be slightly more formal, still a lot of local food, around your price range. Menu here. http://www.marketlane.ie/food/40-dinner/

Jacques does a 24 euro two course menu midweek. Very nice, again lots of local stuff.
    http://www.jacquesrestaurant.ie/restaurant/cork/menus/

• Advertisement

ate in the anglesea st one recently - i liked the vibe - friendly and vibrant… there was a nice lass at the door to take you to a table etc..

its casual - kid friendly - the cones is a nice touch..

we were only waiting 15 mins on food - my stirfry was nice; fresh and no glup.. his rice dish was ok - but there was not a whole lot of beef in it i would say…

was not too keen on the plastic cutlery.. and i don't know if you can have tap water? otherwise your buying a small bottle for 2e a pop,..

still it has wide appeal..

not sure why its called ramen - isn't that japanese?
    the menu from what i could see was very thai like..

would stick with banna thai over ramen if i were to choose..

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭-Toppy-

Anyone been to the resturants in the Kingsley since it reopened? Just wondering anyone have any experiences
    Toppy

-Toppy- wrote: »
    Anyone been to the resturants in the Kingsley since it reopened? Just wondering anyone have any experiences
    Toppy

Stopped in for a look at the weekend. Didn't eat but it looked lovely. Prices were ok too. Everything was nice and new and the staff were very friendly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭curly from cork

Had Ramen for tea .. €6 before 6 pm special . Chicken & cashew nuts .. Could nt fault it for value , nice and tasty too . Carafe of tap water on the table . Big portion and an ice cream to boot ... €6 .. In my book unbeatable :)

good to hear about the tap water

can you have to 6e before 6 on weekends?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,996 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Loving Ramen and at €6 for the 6 before 6 its great value. You are probably guaranteed to eat anything on the menu.
    Free prawn crackers and free ice cream. Unbeatable.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,244 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

rob316 wrote: »
    Loving Ramen and at €6 for the 6 before 6 its great value. You are probably guaranteed to eat anything on the menu.
    Free prawn crackers and free ice cream. Unbeatable.

Probably because it tastes all the same!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Yep, you don't like Ramen. We know.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,996 ✭✭✭✭rob316

It really doesn't, I used to eat in Wagamama for a bit but every dish tasted the exact same, Ramen has some wonderful dishes. Pad thai, Chicken Penang and Chicken Cashew are delicious.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25 kriiss

My favourite places in town are Strasbourg goose, Nosta and Ramen! I eat in all of those places regularly, everything is delicious!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement