Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Restaurant Recommendation Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

Milly33 wrote: »
    I know there was a pizza slice or something similar around €10.00 and they had them on them on the counter they didn't look very nice. The omelette aswell was €10.95 I think..Now unless prices have gone up since I last went out but I thought it was a bit much

Pizza for breakfast! :eek::pac:

I've never found it over-priced there because it's nice food and you do seem to get a lot (side salads, etc) but what puts me off at lunch is that it's so hard to get seated and it's quite cramped. Haven't been in a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,645 ✭✭✭Milly33

I know were just crazy for pizza, maybe they were changing the boards or something it was up on that..

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I ate in Orso on Pembroke Street the other day. I've put off going there because it always looked really healthy :o and I like a bit of decadence when I eat out. But it was lovely! The menu was quite healthy overall, but it was really tasty and decently priced. I got a selection of different salads on the side so that I could try them all, at the suggestion of our lovely waitress, and choose which one is my favourite for future reference. It's a great spot for a light but filling meal.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Faith wrote: »
    I ate in Orso on Pembroke Street the other day. I've put off going there because it always looked really healthy :o and I like a bit of decadence when I eat out. But it was lovely! The menu was quite healthy overall, but it was really tasty and decently priced. I got a selection of different salads on the side so that I could try them all, at the suggestion of our lovely waitress, and choose which one is my favourite for future reference. It's a great spot for a light but filling meal.
    Bang on summation - I've eaten there twice and it's a great spot for a quick bit that won't have you reeling afterwards

My only issue with the place is that it can be tight on space

• Registered Users Posts: 2,508 ✭✭✭Lemag

There's a woman working in Gogo's (the owner, I think) who's very unfriendly. This contrasts the experiences I've had with other staff who seem to be lovely. However, whenever this woman is working there it seems to negatively impact the atmosphere there amongst the staff.

I've been to ORSO quite a bit and I've enjoyed it every time. I'd echo what D'Agger has said about it feeling tight on space when busy.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

It's definitely very small, but we were there at an odd time - 3pm-ish - so it was really quiet.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 158 ✭✭CCWrestling

Any recommendations for nice restaurant for lunch in Cork City centre?

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭nerwen

Any recommendations for nice restaurant for lunch in Cork City centre?

There's almost 100 pages of recommendations. ;) Are you looking for something specific cuisine or price wise? Couple/family, diet restrictions and so on?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,645 ✭✭✭Milly33

Lemag wrote: »
    There's a woman working in Gogo's (the owner, I think) who's very unfriendly. This contrasts the experiences I've had with other staff who seem to be lovely. However, whenever this woman is working there it seems to negatively impact the atmosphere there amongst the staff.

I've been to ORSO quite a bit and I've enjoyed it every time. I'd echo what D'Agger has said about it feeling tight on space when busy.

Mary-Clare would be her name, yeah she comes across as a bit stand off ish alright.. Like daggers could kill kind of looks but she is nice, used to work with her before just takes a while to warm too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

Don't know if it's been mentioned, previously, but a new restaurant has opened where Cafe Bar Deli was - Coqbull (as in Coq = chicken, Bull = beef), I think. Looks nice, but didn't try it as it looked very dark when walking by and it was a gorgeous day outside. Menu seemed mostly burgers (Gourmet-burger-esque perhaps?)

On another note - walking down French Church St. yesterday the place was mobbed, everywhere had an outdoor seating area and each was packed full. Looked great.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Got a flyer through the door this afternoon for McGettigan's Cookhouse & Bar at the Ambassador Hotel. The menu looks quite nice, so thinking of giving that a try.

Has anyone been there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Got a flyer through the door this afternoon for McGettigan's Cookhouse & Bar at the Ambassador Hotel. The menu looks quite nice, so thinking of giving that a try.

Has anyone been there?

I think that's a chain... There's an identically named place in dublin. I've been to the dublin one. Twas grand. Burgers, steaks, that kind of thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Missyelliot2

Milly33 wrote: »
    Mary-Clare would be her name, yeah she comes across as a bit stand off ish alright.. Like daggers could kill kind of looks but she is nice, used to work with her before just takes a while to warm too :)

Great to get your opinion and it's good that her staff like her-it's a plus if staff are being treated well.
    However, I've to agree with the other posters - she isn't the best person to have engaging with customers.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,255 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Has anyone been there?

I know someone who was there recently and they said it was lovely

Yes, we're thinking of giving it a go on Friday. Do you have to reserve, does anyone know?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

who_me wrote: »
    Don't know if it's been mentioned, previously, but a new restaurant has opened where Cafe Bar Deli was - Coqbull (as in Coq = chicken, Bull = beef), I think. Looks nice, but didn't try it as it looked very dark when walking by and it was a gorgeous day outside. Menu seemed mostly burgers (Gourmet-burger-esque perhaps?)

On another note - walking down French Church St. yesterday the place was mobbed, everywhere had an outdoor seating area and each was packed full. Looked great.
    Yeah saw their facebook page recently - food looks good so must look to pop in at some stage and give it a lash!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭sporina

anyone had lunch in jaques of late?

Well. We went to McGettigan's for lunch today. Wasn't overly impressed TBH.

The beef carpaccio was off the menu. So were the venison sausages (although they did substitute ordinary pork sausies. My husband said they were nice). The lamb chops I ordered were fine, but no lemon & thyme mash as advertised. Just ordinary mash. And it was dry and tasteless. I'd nearly finished my meal before the mint sauce I'd asked for arrived. The side order of buttered veg arrived stone cold. We had to send them back. My husband had finished his meal before the veg came back! And there was no aioli with the triple-cooked chips as ordered (but the chips were nice). The service although very pleasant, was slow considering there were only four other tables on a Sunday afternoon.

The coffees were good, and the Raspberry Mess my husband ordered was delicious.

But I think these are teething problems which hopefully should be sorted over time. I'll give it a couple of weeks before we try again!

• Registered Users Posts: 4 JeffDar

Best restaurant in Cork by a distance is Les Gourmandise. Food is as good as Guilbauds in Dublin.

Best kept secret is Hardwood on the North Quays.

Star Anise and Greenes are very good too.

The old favourites like Jacques and Jacobs are usually consistently good.

Of the cheaper places, Il Padrinos, Cornstore and Amicus are very good at what they do.

I'm in Cork 2 years now and my fave is definitely Hardwood...an absolute gem of a place!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

JeffDar wrote: »
    I'm in Cork 2 years now and my fave is definitely Hardwood...an absolute gem of a place!

Really? It closed about three years ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,255 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Well, I finally went to Haveli in Douglas on Sunday night and I have to say it was absolutely gorgeous - I had the murgh makhani, pilau rice and garlic naan and it was delicious - can't wait to go back :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

leahyl wrote: »
    Well, I finally went to Haveli in Douglas on Sunday night and I have to say it was absolutely gorgeous - I had the murgh makhani, pilau rice and garlic naan and it was delicious - can't wait to go back :)

We're a bit partial to murgh makhani in our place too so good to hear. We usually get ours from Spice Inn on Nth Main St as a take-away and it's fab but the restaurant itself isn't the best....Haveli looks nice though. Must make a booking :)

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭Oleander

JeffDar wrote: »

The Hardwood is now the Charcoal Grill and I am a regular at this place, the service is excellent, they are friendly and knowledgeable about their menu, the food is very tasty. The menu has changed slightly and I think the prices have too which is a pity because it all adds up but it still wouldn't deter me from going there. Their tuna is the best on the menu, have it rare, it comes with rustic fries or pilau rice with a smoky aioli dip and salad.

Tried three times now to go to Orzo.. A tuesday, wednesday and thursday night. Every night the wait time has been hour to 2 hours, so we went elsewhere (maynes, gusto and kc's!). Why in the name of all that is good do these people not take reservations? I've better things to be doing than wasting my time, won't be bothering again.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

pwurple wrote: »
    Tried three times now to go to Orzo.. A tuesday, wednesday and thursday night. Every night the wait time has been hour to 2 hours, so we went elsewhere (maynes, gusto and kc's!). Why in the name of all that is good do these people not take reservations? I've better things to be doing than wasting my time, won't be bothering again.

They obviously don't need to take reservations if they can keep the restaurant busy. Makes better business sense. I've never had to wait that long though, but maybe I'm going earlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 mcmurph

I am in Cork Sun and Monday and was hoping to try Lyer's but they are closed those days

Any other recommendations ? Doesn't have to be vegetarian

@Evilivor for pointing me here

ooops should say

@Evilivor thanks for pointing me here

• Registered Users Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

mcmurph wrote: »
    I am in Cork Sun and Monday and was hoping to try Lyer's but they are closed those days

Any other recommendations ? Doesn't have to be vegetarian

@Evilivor for pointing me here

If you are looking for a treat Cafe Paradiso is splendid - it is vegetarian and quite costly but it's very good.

evilivor wrote: »
    If you are looking for a treat Cafe Paradiso is splendid - it is vegetarian and quite costly but it's very good.

Cafe paradiso is awesome alright. Not open sunday, but open monday. Hardly anything in the city open on a sunday. :(

On orzo, I'm sure that is a good business model. They actually had about 6 free seats when we went in last, but the seats were spread out rather than together, we were a grouo of 4. You probably wouldn't be waiting long as a twosome or in on your own, but it's harder for a bunch of buddies.

• Advertisement

Its the first time in almost 4 years me and the wife have been away over night without the kids and first time in over a year we'll have had dinner alone.....So a treat I think is in order :)

Both look great suggestions thanks.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement