Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Restaurant Recommendation Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭Mardyke

rob316 wrote: »
    Monty has lost a fortune on it.

I think that prompts a massive Cork-wide.... "Sure God love him......"

He gets away with a lot around there. Taking over that side street, getting a taxi stop outside the pub, lock ins, and God knows what else...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭Harika

Only 1 1/2 years open, I really wonder what broke their neck as it seemed busy, was very pricey and generated a lot of buzz.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,894 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Harika wrote: »
    Only 1 1/2 years open, I really wonder what broke their neck as it seemed busy, was very pricey and generated a lot of buzz.

According to some it was all misogyny.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

rob316 wrote: »
    Dwyer's of cork a new pub opening where Rachel's was. As I told everyone it was closing and wasn't reopening. Monty has lost a fortune on it.

Is it not just a rebrand? I mean, sure 'Rachel's is gone but it is still Paul Montgomery and Rachel Allen behind it, isn't it?

https://yaycork.ie/rachels-restaurant-has-been-renamed-ahead-of-a-relaunch/

• Registered Users Posts: 18,017 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Is it not just a rebrand? I mean, sure 'Rachel's is gone but it is still Paul Montgomery and Rachel Allen behind it, isn't it?

https://yaycork.ie/rachels-restaurant-has-been-renamed-ahead-of-a-relaunch/

Dont know about that but multiple people told me Monty couldnt wait to get out of it and sell up his share of Moscato Ltd.
    I'll put it this way to you, they owe the company I work for money, Reardens group who pay all the accounts have told me also they have nothing to do with it anymore.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭waxmelts2000

From Twitter they were due to open tonight

Due to unforeseen circumstances we won't be open tonight as planned. Keep an eye on social media for updates.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Had food in the bookshelf in the Elysian as well... late afternoon. They are lovely in there, which I like. We got a few small plates, falafel, tortillas etc. 25 minute wait after ordering and fine but all just a little bland... not seasoned?

Prices were grand, place is nice. I’d go back and try the morning food, maybe I hit an off time of day.

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭MintyMagnum

Valyawl wrote: »
    From Twitter they were due to open tonight

Due to unforeseen circumstances we won't be open tonight as planned. Keep an eye on social media for updates.

Bar licence not granted

• Registered Users Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭ofcork

Objection from a company kmont to the bar licence any connection between the objector and former investor paul m I wonder??

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

I heard that they were trying to say that they were still a restaurant so didn’t need a bar licence but the powers that be didn’t buy it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

bee06 wrote: »
    I heard that they were trying to say that they were still a restaurant so didn’t need a bar licence but the powers that be didn’t buy it.

Just saw this

https://amp.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/court-refuses-application-to-sell-alcohol-at-cork-eatery-881536.html

• Registered Users Posts: 18,017 ✭✭✭✭rob316

ofcork wrote: »
    Objection from a company kmont to the bar licence any connection between the objector and former investor paul m I wonder??

This is hilarious. Kmont is Edmund keneallys company, Monty's ex father in law. The original directors of reardens. It's reardens/monty that are objecting the licence so.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

Had dinner at the Cornstore yesterday afternoon, now I know this place tends to attract polar opinions around here but I've always thought the food was quite good as it was yesterday but sweet lord the prices :eek:
    Perhaps I'm out of touch since I rarely get the opportunity to dine out these days but c'mon, €20 for a burger, €20 for pork belly (a cheap piece of meat traditionally), €24 for roast rump of lamb. I didn't even bother price the steaks because the application process to remortgage my house would take too long:rolleyes:

No doubt the VAT increase will be passed on to the customer too.
    Am I out of touch?

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭richiepurgas

Had dinner at the Cornstore yesterday afternoon, now I know this place tends to attract polar opinions around here but I've always thought the food was quite good as it was yesterday but sweet lord the prices :eek:
    Perhaps I'm out of touch since I rarely get the opportunity to dine out these days but c'mon, €20 for a burger, €20 for pork belly (a cheap piece of meat traditionally), €24 for roast rump of lamb. I didn't even bother price the steaks because the application process to remortgage my house would take too long:rolleyes:

No doubt the VAT increase will be passed on to the customer too.
    Am I out of touch?

Cornstore is a bit inconsistent in that respect. They do good value lunches but come 4pm it turns into a rip-off joint. You'd want to be careful with the wine as well, don't just order one particular type before reading the wine list, some of the prices are outrageous.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭richiepurgas

Dwyers have lost out big-time this weekend. Drove through Washington street about an hour ago and there seems to be queues outside every restaurant and pub. The whole city seems to be rocking.

Cornstore is a bit inconsistent in that respect. They do good value lunches but come 4pm it turns into a rip-off joint. You'd want to be careful with the wine as well, don't just order one particular type before reading the wine list, some of the prices are outrageous.

perhaps because it was the Saturday of the jazz weekend they brought that rip off time back to 3pm:D
    Didn't get wine thankfully, I can only imagine the markup on the booze, like every restaurant naturally.
    But overall it was very nice, staff were very good, no complaints only the price.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Dwyers have lost out big-time this weekend. Drove through Washington street about an hour ago and there seems to be queues outside every restaurant and pub. The whole city seems to be rocking.

An exceptionally busy jazz festival weekend.

Had been planning to go to Tequila Jacks, but it didn't pan out, and I've been put off by some negative reviews.

Anybody have good impressions of the food? It's more the food reviews I'm looking for rather than service, setting or pricing.

I love Mexican food and Cork is sorely lacking in that area.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭yuridwyer

Had to come onto this forum to say my wife ate in Rachel Allen's place last year and found it to be horrendous, crazily expensive and tiny portions. Don't know if its still open but she wouldn't recommend it.

yuridwyer wrote: »
    Had to come onto this forum to say my wife ate in Rachel Allen's place last year and found it to be horrendous, crazily expensive and tiny portions. Don't know if its still open but she wouldn't recommend it.

go back a few pages here, it seems to have closed, due to re-open but problems with the bar licence or something means they are still shut.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭Cotts72

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    An exceptionally busy jazz festival weekend.

Had been planning to go to Tequila Jacks, but it didn't pan out, and I've been put off by some negative reviews.

Anybody have good impressions of the food? It's more the food reviews I'm looking for rather than service, setting or pricing.

I love Mexican food and Cork is sorely lacking in that area.

I actually really like the food there, great spot to eat and have a few drinks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Hoolies

Went to Lab82 yesterday. Was not massively impressed The food was ok but the service was poor. They really seemed to be at sixes and sevens and the place was not packed when we arrived. Cold toast with the fry. Skin formed on porridge, tea and coffee served 20 mins before food so gone by the time the food arrived. I did not choose my own coffee bean but the one they gave me was very bitter, did not like it at all. It’s a lovely looking cafe so I really hope they iron out the small things and do well.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,847 ✭✭✭sporina

we had pizzas in Novecento Douglas street last night - so good - the spinach and ricotta was so fresh and light - excellent - we also had a ham and mushroom pizza... just so good.. best pizza in cork for me hands down... the base was so light with a lovely crispy crust... just the right about of cheese.. perfect mid jazz rail fuel

yuridwyer wrote: »

so now its gonna be a more casual affair apparently - well if the food was bad when it was a fine dining establishment, i dread to think what will be on offer this time around..

• Registered Users Posts: 14,255 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Went to the bookshelf at the Elysian on Saturday and Koto on Careys Lane on Sunday. Both were really nice! Had the eggs bendict in the Bookshelf and it was delicious - unusually served on their own homemade brown stout bread but it was very tasty. The staff were lovely, the only thing was the backgroud music was very loud, so much so that it was difficult to have a conversation to be honest so my friend just asked would it be possible to turn it down slightly and it didn't happen for a while so we just presumed that they were politely ignoring our request but then we heard it going down and it made a big difference.

Had never been to Koto but had the chicken and prawn pad thai and it was delicious; staff were also very friendly.

God, town was absolutely heaving at the weekend. When I went in on Sunday evening it was like a christmas shopping day, there was so many people; it was nearly busier than Christmas I'd say! Great money made for the local economy over the weekend :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭whatever76

sorry hijacking cork city thread - any recommendations for early Sunday tea in Fermoy/Mitchelstown direction ( not corbett court ha ! ) ?

whatever76 wrote: »
    sorry hijacking cork city thread - any recommendations for early Sunday tea in Fermoy/Mitchelstown direction ( not corbett court ha ! ) ?

we always go to The Hunters Rest in Mitchelstown when we are in that area... they do a great steak sandwich etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭what the hell!

Hannah’s in Fermoy is very tasty. Reminds me of Perry St

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

sporina wrote: »
    so now its gonna be a more casual affair apparently - well if the food was bad when it was a fine dining establishment, i dread to think what will be on offer this time around..

?? When was it ever fine dining?

Pizza and roast chicken with spuds was basically the menu.

pwurple wrote: »
    ?? When was it ever fine dining?

Pizza and roast chicken with spuds was basically the menu.

maybe not fine dining - was never there... but the new offering is gonna be a step below apparently - or more casual.. so if it was bad then, well i dread to think what the new place will be like in terms of what they offer.. thats what i mean

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,692 ✭✭✭flangemeistro

Hannah’s in Fermoy is very tasty. Reminds me of Perry St
    Sorry if this isn't the place but I see you mention Perry Street, the reason it caught my eye was because Heidi's Cafe in Cobh closed over a month ago but I've heard Eileen O'Driscoll from Perry Street is reopening it on the 5th of November.
    So wondering what fare Perry Street serve and does Eileen O'Driscoll ring a bell.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement