Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Restaurant Recommendation Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,440 ✭✭✭Markcheese

rob316 wrote: »
    Nosta on Marlboro St. They do a great €10 main with drink. Try the pide! I was in there again on Saturday, great meal, really underrated spot.

Was in nosta about 3 weeks ago, really nice...
    . . . But I prefer Ali's kitchen on Paul Street ( Rory Gallagher Square), really good, simple enough food, but very well done...

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭whatever76

• Registered Users Posts: 14,265 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

Had a lovely Brunch in The Bookshelf at The Elysian Saturday, there was a queue out the door after we sat down, akin to Liberty Grill.

I got the Breakfast Bap (floury Bun, square of good black pudding, Bacon, Cheese, fried egg and relish with some greens) it was very good, and the missus god avocado and egg on toast which was also excellent. with 2 coffees it came to about 25 euro but I got a take away raspberry scone too which was magical.

decor is fantastic, service is great, food is great, 9/10

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

Had an excellent meal in Lab 82 over the weekend. The menu looked gorgeous and very different and interesting compared to what has become standard brunch fare in Cork.

I had the potato rosti, which came with black pudding, a glossy fried egg, fried onion, rashers and a blob of tangy relish. The rosti was crispy, moist, and just as it should be. The accompaniments were all fab too.
    One of my friends had the pancakes with strawberries & cream, and the other had the half Irish breakfast. Both also found them to be excellent.

They offered 3 different types of coffee bean, can't remember which I had off the top of my head but it was really good & gorgeously presented. The orange juice tasted freshly squeezed.

They also had a selection of fresh sandwiches on the menu which I'll definitely be returning to sample. There was a counter display filled with dessert type goodies, again, the presentation was impeccable, I was almost drooling looking at it.
    My only regret was not getting one for takeaway!

My only slight criticism was that you have to order at the counter - no table service. I found the staff to be friendly & polite despite being run off their feet, the place isn't long open & the queue was out the door.

All in all I would highly recommend. Its now up there with Ali's Kitchen & The River Lee hotel as one of my favourite brunch spots.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Eireog1

Hi All

Just looking for some advise myself and 5 firends are going to visit the lovely city of Cork on the 10th of November. We are staying on McCurtain street and are looking for suggestions for some good restaurants in the area? Open to suggestions for any food types but not too expensive. Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,017 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Eireog1 wrote: »
    Hi All

Just looking for some advise myself and 5 firends are going to visit the lovely city of Cork on the 10th of November. We are staying on McCurtain street and are looking for suggestions for some good restaurants in the area? Open to suggestions for any food types but not too expensive. Thanks

Gallaghers seems to be very popular but haven't ate there myself. Son of a Bun and the White Rabbit BBQ are decent too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Nosta on Marlboro St. They do a great €10 main with drink. Try the pide! I was in there again on Saturday, great meal, really underrated spot.

Has this place fairly regularly and never leaves me down!

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭richiepurgas

Eireog1 wrote: »
    Hi All

There's a new Italian place in Bridge street, just around the corner. Haven't been there yet, but the owner worked in the Farmgate in the English market, a class place.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,268 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Post 7173 above gives the link to a very favourable review of that place.

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭Mardyke

I had the displeasure of seeing him and his ilk in full on pomp during the Cork Coffee weekend a year back, it just shows that it doesn't take good coffee or even a basic knowledge of coffee to take part in that weekend as Idaho's offering is tripe and their knowledge is bluff, he wasn't the only perpetrator though, there's a bang of obnoxiousness from the majority of organisers unfortunately because Cork has a really good coffee scene.
    The last sighting I had of Mr Idaho was when him and his possie including Eoin Kennedy were on Twitter trying to get the artist on Patrick Street kicked off the street the the filthy tactics like "I wonder what paye he's paying"
    I called him out on it and he blocked me.
    Good riddance.
    Anyway myself and the wife have a hospital appointment in the city today so can anyone recommend anywhere to grab some lunch, I'm looking for somewhere that we haven't tried and nothing high brow maybe like a wings or nacho starter, burger, fajita or pasta main.
    I was thinking Gallagher's or spitjack?

On the face of it, that Coffee Week is a good idea. But once you look at the muppets behind it and the way they only include their own little clique it becomes an embarrassment! They are some shower.

They blow on about supporting indepentent cafes. But they really mean just support the clique. If you're not in the clique you don't exist, regardless of the quality of the product.

For example Warren Allen does a coffee on a different planet to Idaho. But you'd never hear the Eoin guy mention them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,017 ✭✭✭✭rob316

It's the passive agressive nature of his signs outside the cafe I don't like.

"Cups not buckets coffee sold here"
    "We won't put your name on your cup"

He's trying to be edgy but comes across as a tosser.
    You'd swear he was the only independent business who has multinational rivals in his industry.

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭nlrkjos

Had a lovely Brunch in The Bookshelf at The Elysian Saturday, there was a queue out the door after we sat down, akin to Liberty Grill.

I got the Breakfast Bap (floury Bun, square of good black pudding, Bacon, Cheese, fried egg and relish with some greens) it was very good, and the missus god avocado and egg on toast which was also excellent. with 2 coffees it came to about 25 euro but I got a take away raspberry scone too which was magical.

Meself and herself go there regular, also the one on the mall, coffee is great there and the scones are a meal in themselves, I mix their beans with red rooster 4 and its the best cup of coffee in the world, (I use a ceramic stove top pot that I bought in Sicily 20 years ago)

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭nlrkjos

sporina wrote: »
    hmm
    and great about the service - good service and make/break a dining experience = they are lucky to have her.. (not sure if matters that she was local though)

Local does matter sometimes, they "get" the humour and the bit of craic, more so than other nationalities, nothing agin' them either but they can be a wee bit dry. Herself reckons she wouldn't bother going there again tho@ thought it was a bit overpriced for what we had, but she did enjoy the evening, maybe because we sat near a Norwegian couple (I speak the lingo) and she got some pointers on where to go when we go to Tromso in December.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,847 ✭✭✭sporina

Heard today that EAST by The Rocketman in the Winthrop street arcade has closed..

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭bizz213

Joes & Bros apparently going in there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

sporina wrote: »
    Heard today that EAST by The Rocketman in the Winthrop street arcade has closed..

Really!? I hope not. Big fan! There was a huge queue outside there when I passed early last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Corkforever

Whats Joes & Bros like?

Meeting friends there tomorrow :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,847 ✭✭✭sporina

Really!? I hope not. Big fan! There was a huge queue outside there when I passed early last week.

apparently so

i'm a fan too - best falafels in town - Umi's are not a patch on them

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭JackieChang

Get the grilled lamb next time. So delicious.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Slim Charles

Dinner in River Lee Hotel this evening, never been, is it any cop ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,988 ✭✭✭opus

Had a very nice lunch there today, will definitely be back there again to try some more of the menu.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Dinner in River Lee Hotel this evening, never been, is it any cop ?

Come back and tell us! It's about 4 years since I ate in there, brekkie was good. Evening was a bit mixed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭Cotts72

SusieBlue wrote: »
    Had an excellent meal in Lab 82 over the weekend. The menu looked gorgeous and very different and interesting compared to what has become standard brunch fare in Cork.

I had the potato rosti, which came with black pudding, a glossy fried egg, fried onion, rashers and a blob of tangy relish. The rosti was crispy, moist, and just as it should be. The accompaniments were all fab too.
    One of my friends had the pancakes with strawberries & cream, and the other had the half Irish breakfast. Both also found them to be excellent.

They offered 3 different types of coffee bean, can't remember which I had off the top of my head but it was really good & gorgeously presented. The orange juice tasted freshly squeezed.

They also had a selection of fresh sandwiches on the menu which I'll definitely be returning to sample. There was a counter display filled with dessert type goodies, again, the presentation was impeccable, I was almost drooling looking at it.
    My only regret was not getting one for takeaway!

My only slight criticism was that you have to order at the counter - no table service. I found the staff to be friendly & polite despite being run off their feet, the place isn't long open & the queue was out the door.

All in all I would highly recommend. Its now up there with Ali's Kitchen & The River Lee hotel as one of my favourite brunch spots.

Been here a few times also,great spot and lovely coffee (choice of Brazilian/Ethiopian/costa rican beans)! staff are a1 also. Can vouch for the eggs benedict :)

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭what the hell!

Get the grilled lamb next time. So delicious.

I must get in over the next few days. I was having a look at the menu. Are they lamb cutlets? Can't see them on the menu.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭JackieChang

I must get in over the next few days. I was having a look at the menu. Are they lamb cutlets? Can't see them on the menu.

It's called lamb grill. Super succulent cuts of lamb fillet in a sort of turkish arrangement with bread, salad, sauce, chips etc. The flavor of the lamb is like heroin to me. The way I describe it sounds like a late night kebab... but it's not don't worry.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭.red.

It's called lamb grill. Super succulent cuts of lamb fillet in a sort of turkish arrangement with bread, salad, sauce, chips etc. The flavor of the lamb is like heroin to me. The way I describe it sounds like a late night kebab... but it's not don't worry.

That's what a kebab should be like, but usually isn't.
    I think I might know where my next meal out could be. Very hard to find a "good" kebab in Cork.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Slim Charles

pwurple wrote: »
    Come back and tell us! It's about 4 years since I ate in there, brekkie was good. Evening was a bit mixed.

Set menu i got mushroom soup for starter as I didn't care for any of the choices and wanted something to dip my rolls into. Our lass ate my soup after her starter and said it was nice though. Beautiful salmon for main, not enough veg the only downside. And sticky toffee pudding for dessert - very nice.

Would give it 8/10 - points lost for flat beer and the choice of starters.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭nerwen

+1 for this description. :D It is very much like a high quality, deconstructed kebab and there's nothing wrong with that. I go regularly for this specific dish, love it!

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Corkforever

Visited Lab82 for 1st time today and have to say coffee was good & food was tasty! Place is cool also! Service was slow tbh but i think they aren't open long so hopefully get more fluid and quicker :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Visited Lab82 for 1st time today and have to say coffee was good & food was tasty! Place is cool also! Service was slow tbh but i think they aren't open long so hopefully get more fluid and quicker :)
    Popped in there last week also and really enjoyed it, coffee was really nice and wasn't piping hot as is normally the case when you order black coffee, enjoyed it being spacious especially seeing as I was in the horrors after staying up for the McGregor fight :pac:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement